Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rebekah Brooks resigns

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So she's fallen on her sword and quit as Chief Exec of News Int. Should she have gone earlier, or is it entirely fair that something that happened in another job have repercussions in a new position?

My opinion is that she should have faced the inquiry as Chief Exec of News Int and then quit depending on what else comes to light. I can't help thinking that Murdoch has forced her to quit as they all know what's going to be said at the inquiry.

It would appear that what was happening at the NOTW could be endemic across News Int's publications worldwide, in which case, Brooks has been made a patsy to quell a growing sense of outrage among the public and politicians.

I'd bet my life Murdoch wasn't best pleased at being forced to abandon his purchase of BSkyB either. Someone's head had to roll for that and it looks like it was hers, as he'd never sacrifice one of his offspring for it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Rebekah I reckon will be the "fall guy" for News Inc. She'll be the sacrificial lamb for Murdoch and Co.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

honestly couldnt care less about the whole fiasco lol...but how much did she earn a year lol...am sure she will be pretty damn comfortable anyway

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Murdoch keeps testing to see what it takes for people to ease off.

Kill NOTW - nope not enough pal

Scrap BSkyB take over - still not enough son

Force Brooks to resign - getting closer!

What PR stunt is next?

Apparently the FBI are going after him in the US now.

I'm normally cynical about metaphysics but this Karma shit is real!!!!!

over a year ago

Damage limitation. I think the inquiries and police investigation are going to show that she must have at least been aware of some of the NOTW indiscretions. If she's already gone it takes away some of the impact.

over a year ago

The police investigating the police - there's only ever going to be one outcome there.

By *ittlemorespiceCouple
over a year ago

North Cornwall

"The police investigating the police - there's only ever going to be one outcome there. "

The commission who conduct the enquiry are independent.

Mistress x

over a year ago

Who's next?

The buffer to the Murdochs has gone, James next? He knew what went on ages ago, he signed off the compensation settlements!

You don't sign big cheques without wanting to know why.

over a year ago

"The police investigating the police - there's only ever going to be one outcome there.

The commission who conduct the enquiry are independent.

Mistress x"

Whoever is conducting the commission will hit a wall of self-preservation from the Met. They'll deal with their issues internally but you rarely see them hang each other out to dry to outsiders. The Stephen Lawrence case proved how inherently corrupt the Met are.

over a year ago

what job did she resign from

if there was no paper to work for

over a year ago

I'm very interested to see what happens if the FBI find any attempt to hack the 9/11 victims phones.

over a year ago

"what job did she resign from

if there was no paper to work for "

She WAS Chief Exec of News International.

The hierarchy is thus:

News Corp.

- News International

-- Times Newspapers / News Group

--- Times, Sun, etc..

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

However, she still has to answer to the House of Commons committee - whether that produces anything (because, at the end of the day, the politicians want Murdoch to back them) is another story.

over a year ago

I wonder how big her golden goodbye keep your mouth shut bonus was. Anybody seen anything?

over a year ago

i think that having seen that saudi prince on newsnight last night, it was only evr going to be a matter of when rather than if, she parted company with news international.

the guy is the next biggest shareholder in newscorp after murdoch.

his response when asked about how far he would back the corp's staff was that he would not protect anyone that had been unethical, but pressed on individuals he described james and rupert murdoch as 'his friends' and pretty much said they were beyond reproach

let's wait and see

over a year ago

btw i wonder whilst all this is going on, which media businesses are trying to hack the murdochs mobiles ?

just a thought

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"btw i wonder whilst all this is going on, which media businesses are trying to hack the murdochs mobiles ?

just a thought "

Well, considering the NoTW's "Fake Sheikh" is now freely available, maybe he could?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"However, she still has to answer to the House of Commons committee - whether that produces anything (because, at the end of the day, the politicians want Murdoch to back them) is another story."

No she doesn't....it's a voluntary appearance before any Select Commons Committee.....they have no power to make anyone appear.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Who's next?

The buffer to the Murdochs has gone, James next? He knew what went on ages ago, he signed off the compensation settlements!

You don't sign big cheques without wanting to know why. "

He never hid the fact he was signing off compensation cheques....that was all very transparent. That in no way shows complicity in the acts of hacking phones, he wasn't making secret payments to victims, he was agreeing official Newsgroup payments.

Still no evidence there was any complicity above the position of Associate Editor at the NOTW at this point in time.

over a year ago

i think she should of gone a long time ago, but its a shame that the staff of the paper had to lose there jobs first.

i do think there are more reasons behind why she has gone now, and do agree it maybe a case of being pushed out by the Big Cheese him self.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

What has shocked me a little today is the revelation that Andy Coulson stayed at Chequers as a guest of the Prime Minister Cameron as recently as March of this year, a full Six weeks after he was forced to resign as Camerons communications chief.

And long after he was first interviewed by the police regarding hacking....I can't believe that Camerons close advisors never warned him of the possible implications this might have on the publics perception of Cameron and the Tories.

It's going to get very sticky for some big names in the coming weeks I think.

over a year ago

Sacrificial cow .....

over a year ago

"Who's next?

He never hid the fact he was signing off compensation cheques....that was all very transparent. That in no way shows complicity in the acts of hacking phones, he wasn't making secret payments to victims, he was agreeing official Newsgroup payments.

Still no evidence there was any complicity above the position of Associate Editor at the NOTW at this point in time.

"

I'm led to believe he signed off payment for an out of court settlement to Graham Taylor back in 2009 to drop his action over phone hacking, I just think if he didn't know what was going on before 2009, that payment along with the other out of court settlements should have made him ask questions.

It's pure speculation, but I think he asked the questions or didn't need to ask because he already knew more than he's letting on.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The trouble is it's all conjecture at the moment, other areas of the press (Richard Desmond publications in particular) are slinging all sorts of unproven allegations around about the Murdochs.....Newsgroup have been a thorn in their side ever since Murdoch took over the NOTW all those years ago and some of the stuff they have been coming out with this week could well be financial suicide if they haven't got their facts right about the Murdoch family.....

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

'Rebekah'?

I bet she was Christened with it spelt like that...whats the point?, other than trying to make yourself sound cool.

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

She'll probably get moved to one of Newscorp's smaller outfits and be told to stay there for a couple of years before they move her back closer to the limelight.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"What has shocked me a little today is the revelation that Andy Coulson stayed at Chequers as a guest of the Prime Minister Cameron as recently as March of this year, a full Six weeks after he was forced to resign as Camerons communications chief.

And long after he was first interviewed by the police regarding hacking....I can't believe that Camerons close advisors never warned him of the possible implications this might have on the publics perception of Cameron and the Tories.

It's going to get very sticky for some big names in the coming weeks I think."

It now transpires that Ex News Of The World editor Rebekah Brooks also stayed at Chequers as a personal guest of David Cameron not once but twice last summer......great judge of character our PM!

over a year ago

"It now transpires that Ex News Of The World editor Rebekah Brooks also stayed at Chequers as a personal guest of David Cameron not once but twice last summer......great judge of character our PM!"

Hmmm.. Seems it also transpires that Gordy the Gaffe attended her wedding June 13 2009.

Don't all politicians court the media?

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"Who's next?

"

if its true he signed a cheque to gordon Taylor for 700,000 with a non disclosure contract that is an offence ,called perverting the course of justice ,after a offence has been commited,it also appears rebekahs demise was at the hands of her old friend murdochs daughter,who blasted her old man and brother saying she has "fucked up the company " she has to go.

Is its proved they did the same in the states to 9/11 victims you can kiss the murdochs goodbye as a media entity .

over a year ago

How did they get the numbers in the first place

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"It now transpires that Ex News Of The World editor Rebekah Brooks also stayed at Chequers as a personal guest of David Cameron not once but twice last summer......great judge of character our PM!

Hmmm.. Seems it also transpires that Gordy the Gaffe attended her wedding June 13 2009.

Don't all politicians court the media?"

The big difference being that Labour and the Lib Dems kept them at arms length after the hacking scandal first emerged....but Cameron, and more significantly Osbourne, continued to court them....in fact were still courting them at the end of March, long after it became apparant there was wrongdoing.

If Cameron and Osbourne are so arrogant you had better hope there isn't a banana skin waiting to slip them up when the truth starts to emerge about Coulson.

Millions more are waiting in anticipation that it does....

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"How did they get the numbers in the first place "

The Police, the Military, for starters...if all is to be believed.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

So how come it wasn't so apparent in 2003 when Rebakah freely admitted that "yes, we've paid the police"?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"

So how come it wasn't so apparent in 2003 when Rebakah freely admitted that "yes, we've paid the police"?

"

The Politics show on BBC2 showed her recorded evidence given to the first select committee....and she didn't actually commit herself to that extent.

Her answer was very guarded and carefully worded so that she wouldn't implicate either herself or the police...

The words "Yes we've paid the police" were not part of the recorded sitting.

over a year ago

"It now transpires that Ex News Of The World editor Rebekah Brooks also stayed at Chequers as a personal guest of David Cameron not once but twice last summer......great judge of character our PM!

The big difference being that Labour and the Lib Dems kept them at arms length after the hacking scandal first emerged....but Cameron, and more significantly Osbourne, continued to court them....in fact were still courting them at the end of March, long after it became apparant there was wrongdoing.

If Cameron and Osbourne are so arrogant you had better hope there isn't a banana skin waiting to slip them up when the truth starts to emerge about Coulson.

Millions more are waiting in anticipation that it does...."

And what do you think they were getting up to at all these supposed clandestine meetings?

You're clutching at straws on this one Jane. I know you'd love to see the coalition disintegrate but it won't happen over this. Murdoch is swinging his dick in the wind on his own this time, and it looks like he's got the Americans to worry about next, and that will make anything over here pale into insignificance. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the hotline from Downing Street to the White House is buzzing continually with some little tidbits of info that will deflect the media attention to across the pond.

Let's not forget that all Murdoch's media enemies/competitors will keep this going for as long as they possibly can to drag News Corp down.

Cameron has nothing to fear as he knows Labour courted the same media barons when they were in power as he's been courting now.

As for Coulson - he's small fry, almost negligible.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The difference now is that Coulson won't be appearing before some lily livered select committee that has no power....he'll in all likelyhood be appearing before the Old Bailey...

Suppose it depends how much he wants to save his own skin...

over a year ago

It's been reported that half of Labours shadow cabinet was at one of Murdoch's parties within the last month. This shouldn't be about party politics.

They've all courted the media, some better than others.

I'm waiting for a few more to start attacking the Sun, I find it hard to believe the Sun was that different to the NOTW.

over a year ago

"The difference now is that Coulson won't be appearing before some lily livered select committee that has no power....he'll in all likelyhood be appearing before the Old Bailey...

Suppose it depends how much he wants to save his own skin..."

you're sounding very bitter Jane. I'm sure Labour will get back in at some point in the long distant future lol

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Millions more are waiting in anticipation that it does....

And what do you think they were getting up to at all these supposed clandestine meetings?

You're clutching at straws on this one Jane. I know you'd love to see the coalition disintegrate but it won't happen over this. Murdoch is swinging his dick in the wind on his own this time, and it looks like he's got the Americans to worry about next, and that will make anything over here pale into insignificance. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the hotline from Downing Street to the White House is buzzing continually with some little tidbits of info that will deflect the media attention to across the pond.

Let's not forget that all Murdoch's media enemies/competitors will keep this going for as long as they possibly can to drag News Corp down.

Cameron has nothing to fear as he knows Labour courted the same media barons when they were in power as he's been courting now.

As for Coulson - he's small fry, almost negligible."

I love the amateur spin doctors the web generates. They all seem to read the same tripe on Guido Fawkes or COnservative Home then recycle it.

Here's the way I see it.

Cameron was told COulson was a crook. He believed Coulson when he said that there were no other skeletons in the closet. There were more skeletons in the closet, and Cameron was told about them two years ago. He kept Coulson on.

When all the stuff about Murdoch (and probably Mirror Group) dies down, that question over Cameron's character will remain. Given that the economic recovery is a mirage, Cameron was depending on a perceived advantage as a leader over Ed to get him home in 2015. That advantage is now gone in the eyes of swing voters, and Cameron's depending on all the anti Labiour votes that Clegg benefited from coming to him. Somehow I doubt that.

over a year ago

She should of resigned from the start and the other 500 NOTW staff may of kept their jobs!

There was alot of bad apples in the but alot of innocent employees were sacrificed for her!

over a year ago

"I love the amateur spin doctors the web generates. They all seem to read the same tripe on Guido Fawkes or COnservative Home then recycle it.

Here's the way I see it.

Cameron was told COulson was a crook. He believed Coulson when he said that there were no other skeletons in the closet. There were more skeletons in the closet, and Cameron was told about them two years ago. He kept Coulson on.

When all the stuff about Murdoch (and probably Mirror Group) dies down, that question over Cameron's character will remain. Given that the economic recovery is a mirage, Cameron was depending on a perceived advantage as a leader over Ed to get him home in 2015. That advantage is now gone in the eyes of swing voters, and Cameron's depending on all the anti Labiour votes that Clegg benefited from coming to him. Somehow I doubt that."

Luckily, that's just the way YOU see it. Everyone else is far more astute and can see that Cameron will have his ass ridden for a while until Ed the Red learns how to do his shoelaces up and that will then become his sole focus as he runs around Whitehall demanding to show everyone what a clever little boy he is.

Meanwhile, America will wake up en masse and see that Obama is only the second most obnoxious person on the planet and that a new whipping boy, in the form of Rupert Murdoch, is now public enemy No.1. This will also take the heat off of Cameron as Murdoch will bring all his forces to bear (namely his newspapers) in the singular task of destroying Obama and taking his own beloved News Corp out in the process.

Besides, if it does look like it's all getting a bit too close for comfort Cameron has Clegg in reserve as his sacrifical lamb and that will get rid of the Libs once and for all allowing good old Tory policies to be implemented without Vince Cable fucking things up.

By *waymanMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"I love the amateur spin doctors the web generates. They all seem to read the same tripe on Guido Fawkes or COnservative Home then recycle it.

Here's the way I see it.

When all the stuff about Murdoch (and probably Mirror Group) dies down, that question over Cameron's character will remain. Given that the economic recovery is a mirage, Cameron was depending on a perceived advantage as a leader over Ed to get him home in 2015. That advantage is now gone in the eyes of swing voters, and Cameron's depending on all the anti Labiour votes that Clegg benefited from coming to him. Somehow I doubt that.

Luckily, that's just the way YOU see it. Everyone else is far more astute and can see that Cameron will have his ass ridden for a while until Ed the Red learns how to do his shoelaces up and that will then become his sole focus as he runs around Whitehall demanding to show everyone what a clever little boy he is.

Meanwhile, America will wake up en masse and see that Obama is only the second most obnoxious person on the planet and that a new whipping boy, in the form of Rupert Murdoch, is now public enemy No.1. This will also take the heat off of Cameron as Murdoch will bring all his forces to bear (namely his newspapers) in the singular task of destroying Obama and taking his own beloved News Corp out in the process.

Besides, if it does look like it's all getting a bit too close for comfort Cameron has Clegg in reserve as his sacrifical lamb and that will get rid of the Libs once and for all allowing good old Tory policies to be implemented without Vince Cable fucking things up."

Everyone else?

Everyone else?

You're the official spokesman for everyone else?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The difference now is that Coulson won't be appearing before some lily livered select committee that has no power....he'll in all likelyhood be appearing before the Old Bailey...

Suppose it depends how much he wants to save his own skin..."

and 'rebeKa' will in all likelihood be stood along side her

young murdoch is'nt out of it either, admitting he knew 'they' were paying plod may be enough to have him in the dock also.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Holy thread revival, Batman!!!

I saw in the news today that Rebekah Brooks is set to receive a £7M payout for essentially incompetence at her job.

I've just sent my boss an email suggesting we have a meeting in the morning... I'm gonna be a millionaire!!!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Holy thread revival, Batman!!!

I saw in the news today that Rebekah Brooks is set to receive a £7M payout for essentially incompetence at her job.

I've just sent my boss an email suggesting we have a meeting in the morning... I'm gonna be a millionaire!!! "

I must learn to do jobs badly. I've never been paid out of anywhere. This is sick-making.

By *ickiemintMan
over a year ago

Somewhere NW London

"So she's fallen on her sword and quit as Chief Exec of News Int. Should she have gone earlier, or is it entirely fair that something that happened in another job have repercussions in a new position?

My opinion is that she should have faced the inquiry as Chief Exec of News Int and then quit depending on what else comes to light. I can't help thinking that Murdoch has forced her to quit as they all know what's going to be said at the inquiry.

It would appear that what was happening at the NOTW could be endemic across News Int's publications worldwide, in which case, Brooks has been made a patsy to quell a growing sense of outrage among the public and politicians.

I'd bet my life Murdoch wasn't best pleased at being forced to abandon his purchase of BSkyB either. Someone's head had to roll for that and it looks like it was hers, as he'd never sacrifice one of his offspring for it."

Don't know about that, but i'd DEFINITELY give her one... Rich

over a year ago

Funny how these things turn out.

Post new Message to Thread