Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

3 calls

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have had 3 phone calls this morning.

At 9.10 this morning I got a call telling me I am owed some money from PPI I was charged some years ago

At 10.30 I was told I could clear all my debts without interest

At 12.00 I received an automated call from the tax office to say I was due a refund, all I had to do was follow the instructions and add my credit card details for it to be paid to me

Not to mention the texts I received at 3am, 3.25am and am from HSBC telling me there was strange activity from my bank account and to log on to my online banking via the link provided. I don't even bank with HSBC!

We all know these are all scams but how many people actually called for it?

What calls do you get regularly?

Where the hell do they get all their information from?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Meant to say how many people fall for these scams?

By *al01Man
over a year ago

solihull

Had the same thing over the last few weeks incuding messages from itunes( im on android and never had iphone).

Been tokd to register my number with a company that stops all these calls and messages within 48 hours. Just waiting to getvthe details

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Been tokd to register my number with a company that stops all these calls and messages within 48 hours. Just waiting to getvthe details"

TPS, or whatever it's called now, can only stop calls generated in the UK

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I had a call last week, apparently it was regarding a motor vehicle accident that wasn't my fault, I asked which one?

By *owdyboy 890Man
over a year ago

Country West

"I have had 3 phone calls this morning.

At 9.10 this morning I got a call telling me I am owed some money from PPI I was charged some years ago

At 12.00 I received an automated call from the tax office to say I was due a refund, all I had to do was follow the instructions and add my credit card details for it to be paid to me

Not to mention the texts I received at 3am, 3.25am and am from HSBC telling me there was strange activity from my bank account and to log on to my online banking via the link provided. I don't even bank with HSBC!

"

They ring you like they do loads of people on the hope that you give them your card details their professional at it and before you know it if you do your bank account will be cleaned out xx

over a year ago

They ring you like they do loads of people on the hope that you give them your card details their professional at it and before you know it if you do your bank account will be cleaned out xx"

But how many people actually fall for it? Surely we all know not to give out our bank details that easily

By *orum TrollWoman
over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

ask them to take you off their list and they will stop calling.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I'm getting a lot saying that the national accident database shows I've had an accident in the last 3 years. Funnily enough they can't tell me who owns this database and where they get their database from.

They also get very affronted when you point out that you are on the tps and they are breaking the law contacting me. Shocking customer service.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"ask them to take you off their list and they will stop calling. "

Sadly, shockingly few of them have ever heard of the tps or even the data protection act.

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

They ring you like they do loads of people on the hope that you give them your card details their professional at it and before you know it if you do your bank account will be cleaned out xx

But how many people actually fall for it? Surely we all know not to give out our bank details that easily"

Unfortunately a lot of elderly people are more trusting and part with their savings to these sorts of scams.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

Try the TRUECALLER App.

It can filter out and stop thousands of known scam phone numbers for you plus other phone numbers of your own choice.

I've found it invaluable.

By *ertsguy2000Man
over a year ago

hertford

Had fake Apple ID email, fake Vodafone email and fake O2 email this week alone !!!

Some look very convincing, but I always check the email address they have been sent from, but fear they will soon find a way to work around this so that the emails come from an offical email account!!

Wankers the lot of them

HG

By *orum TrollWoman
over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

"ask them to take you off their list and they will stop calling.

Sadly, shockingly few of them have ever heard of the tps or even the data protection act.

"

i might just be lucky then, i was getting loads of calls until i asked about 3 people to stop calling.

By *ertsguy2000Man
over a year ago

hertford

[Removed by poster at 25/04/17 17:46:22]

over a year ago

They may take you off their list, but dodgy call centres sell numbers on, whether they have taken them off call lists or not.

By *AA123Couple
over a year ago

Lichfield

We block them on the phone by adding them to a list of blocked numbers. Worked so far.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

But how many people actually fall for it? Surely we all know not to give out our bank details that easily"

Two years ago, I was the victim of crooks who tried to extort £25,000 from me, with all forms of persuasion, threats of violence and personal harm.

Luckily, although scared witless (cleaned that up!), I informed the Police who attended very quickly, then my case was added to the caseload of Action Fraud. In turn they actually raided properties a month later and found databases, hard drives etc with tens of thousands of names, Addresses and other information.

What I learnt was that companies (legitimate at that) buy and sell lists of people with or without added personal data, every single day across the world.

Criminal gangs set themselves up as proper companies with the sole purpose of getting hold of these mass lists for their own ends.

Yes, they tend to target elderly people, as there's a greater chance that age group won't wish the shame of being caught out and family, friends etc knowing. They'll just rather pay up and hope it's all settled. But with a lot of criminals, it isn't!

Police experts said they were aware that some elderly people moved homes rather than admit they'd been duped. Sadly, and this applies more to Single or widowed OAP's, many ended up committing suicide!

Unfortunately, the criminal elements bank on people not taking precautions with what they click online etc.

over a year ago

"ask them to take you off their list and they will stop calling.

"

Took me threatening them after finding out who the company was. .... 4 phone calls in same week from them. They do not like giving their company name. Once you get it you can report it.

over a year ago

"We block them on the phone by adding them to a list of blocked numbers. Worked so far."

Same. Haven't had a call for months. Also did the TPS thing though.

Some scam call centres just call random numbers. One day at work every phone rang one after the other as they went through the sequential numbers.

By *elnkazCouple
over a year ago

cheshire

"Meant to say how many people fall for these scams?"
I had a friend fall for a scam he was with sky they phoned him told him he due a refund .they wiped him out. Every penny In his bank for two weeks. Didnt realise till he checked his bank account. Normal everyday people can fall for these scams.

Scumbags need jailing .kaz

over a year ago

I have one of those handy call blacklist apps installed, it references a database of user feedback that either vouches for the numbers authenticity and green lights it or completely blacklists it as spam/marketing/phising.

Anything that requests bank information or national insurance numbers over the phone, immediate call termination, especially if completely unsolicited with no legible reason for contacting out of nowhere.

over a year ago

"

"

Lots of legitimate place sell you information which is why you must always tick the box that you don't want to be contacted by other parties when opening any sort of online account.

Recent years local councils have done it (personally know South Somerset do used to live there) and the government does as well.

over a year ago

i keep getting emails from the NatWest telling me there has been suspicious activity on my account....

I have never banked with NatWest

By *aaLaaWoman
over a year ago

Pontesbury

I had an email about a speeding fine in Chester - it took me about 5 seconds to realise that the DVLA/Cheshire Police wouldn't have my email, but during that time my mouse pointer was moving towards the link - just the right message at the right time is all it takes.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

"I'm getting a lot saying that the national accident database shows I've had an accident in the last 3 years. Funnily enough they can't tell me who owns this database and where they get their database from.

They also get very affronted when you point out that you are on the tps and they are breaking the law contacting me. Shocking customer service. "

Same crowd keep phoning me almost daily. They use several numbers & also number withheld. Despite telling them I'm registered with the TPS and I'm not interested (not least of which what they were suggesting in my opinion is fraud) - they continue to harass. Last one that i did answer said I wouldn't be taken off any list and that I'd have another 18 months of their calls to come

over a year ago

I had email recent from Amazon and someone tried to order something and get into my account .deleted Amazon and won't be using it again as a precaution not worth it .wasn't Amazon though was a scam .

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I have BT call guardian landline phones.

I was getting sales calls, and junk calls every single day, since using these phones over a year ago I get none. They are fantastic

over a year ago

My new mobile phone detects scam calls and blocks them .It's marvellous I'm loving it

over a year ago

"We block them on the phone by adding them to a list of blocked numbers. Worked so far.

Same. Haven't had a call for months. Also did the TPS thing though.

Some scam call centres just call random numbers. One day at work every phone rang one after the other as they went through the sequential numbers. "

Yep. Same here. As my family have almost sequential mobile numbers, me and the kids got the same "accident" call within 20 minutes of each other.

They just try every 07 number

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

The last guy hung up when i told him i knew the name of the other driver and his address, seems like they didn't believe that D. Trump of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue was the fictitious driver for the never happened 'accident' ..

over a year ago

"My new mobile phone detects scam calls and blocks them .It's marvellous I'm loving it "

Mine identifies the known ones, but a car accident one slipped through last week. They are the automated ones that say hello them ask a question, and follow up with a conversation based on what they think you might answer.

over a year ago

"Meant to say how many people fall for these scams?"

Sadly, a lot. I worked in this field for a while. It's amazing what people will do just because someone claim sto be from a bank or some authority. It does tend to be older people but not all..

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Exactly the same as you OP let's not forget the emails as well.

over a year ago

Who remembers the three rings to let your mum know you were safe lol x

over a year ago

"Been tokd to register my number with a company that stops all these calls and messages within 48 hours. Just waiting to getvthe details

TPS, or whatever it's called now, can only stop calls generated in the UK "

i registered with them and it worked - if you mention it to cold callers they hang up pretty quick as theyre not supposed to contact you if youre on that list

over a year ago

"My new mobile phone detects scam calls and blocks them .It's marvellous I'm loving it

Mine identifies the known ones, but a car accident one slipped through last week. They are the automated ones that say hello them ask a question, and follow up with a conversation based on what they think you might answer. "

Was hoping none slip through.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I'm getting a lot saying that the national accident database shows I've had an accident in the last 3 years. Funnily enough they can't tell me who owns this database and where they get their database from.

They also get very affronted when you point out that you are on the tps and they are breaking the law contacting me. Shocking customer service.

Same crowd keep phoning me almost daily. They use several numbers & also number withheld. Despite telling them I'm registered with the TPS and I'm not interested (not least of which what they were suggesting in my opinion is fraud) - they continue to harass. Last one that i did answer said I wouldn't be taken off any list and that I'd have another 18 months of their calls to come "

Up to what time of the night do they phone and do they ring through the weekends, If after a certain time like 9pm and before 8am in the morning surely you can report them for unsocial hours... and if you have a answer message on your phone see if they leave you a message on the end, the ones I don,t want to talk to I Ignore apart from friends and family and a few others, the beauty in this is is that they may ring but as long as you don,t answer it before the answer message they won,t know when ever their calls fall on deaf ears not knowing where you are haveing the phone alongside or away from it it has helped me big time but you have to be very patient I,m affraid but it does work the ones that don,t usually answer are the nuisance callers thou the ones you mention may leave messages which you can still Ignore to haveing a answer phone is everything really it is on my landline anyway so it is win win win if you stick by this policy, Thou for many people the calling would get them down but your winning the battle everytime you don,t answer unless you know you want to chat with them that is..

over a year ago

I'm lucky my phone tells me if it's a possible scam or spam. So I just block the numbers.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan
over a year ago

salisbury

We only plug the landline in if we want to make a call.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I'm lucky my phone tells me if it's a possible scam or spam. So I just block the numbers."
I had one most likely a weirdo who was a real pain I blocked 12 of his numbers but still came back most likely works in a call centre easy access to more numbers, by Ignoreing him he,s lost a lot of Interest but probably bugs others all over the place such people do exist in society unfortuneately.

By *sGivesWoodWoman
over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

"Who remembers the three rings to let your mum know you were safe lol x"
oh I do lol

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

" We only plug the landline in if we want to make a call. "

My landline is the dinner bell.