FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Goobledegook or pursuit of good English!

Jump to newest

By *-and-K OP   Couple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Got an email from a colleague this afternoon and couldn't believe what it contained. It was so bad I had to go ask her what it meant and what I was supposed to do with it. Even though I work in a hospital pharmacy I was lost for words on this one...

"A randomised double blind triple dummy trial to compare the efficacy of otamixaban with unfractionated heparin + eptifibatide"......

I have of course left of the rest of it in the desire not to lose you all in even more nonensical rubbish

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Is she paid according to the length of words she uses?

By *razydriver8Couple
over a year ago

plymouth

"

"A randomised double blind triple dummy trial to compare the efficacy of otamixaban with unfractionated heparin + eptifibatide"......

"

umm i think they are gonna do a trial on some dummies that are random and break something then give them some pretend sugar drugs to see if they get better,,,, or something .

hope that helps..

By *orestersCouple
over a year ago

The Forest

Sounds like typical NHS management waffle to me. In the lead up to releasing the statement, they probably had a meeting to decide where the meeting to decide the brand of coffee they would have at the meeting to decide when the decision to release the statement would be decided.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"

umm i think they are gonna do a trial on some dummies that are random and break something then give them some pretend sugar drugs to see if they get better,,,, or something .

hope that helps.. "

That seems to be about right!

I've seen similar in the past couple of years, when I worked for the company that makes Gaviscon and Nurofen, amongst other products in their portfolio.

Usually, it was a case that what could normally be said in several plain words, was instead explained in a totally incomprehensible lengthy phrase!

Their "invention" of new words defied belief! They'd never reach the outside world, but visitors to the company could often be baffled!

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

Seems reasonable to me, and all I know about drug testings is from Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science". Most lines of work end up using jargon - don't see how you could get through work if you had to state everything in full each time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randomized_controlled_trial

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Got an email from a colleague this afternoon and couldn't believe what it contained. It was so bad I had to go ask her what it meant and what I was supposed to do with it. Even though I work in a hospital pharmacy I was lost for words on this one...

I have of course left of the rest of it in the desire not to lose you all in even more nonensical rubbish

"

Does your colleague work at Mount Sinai School of Medicine?

The whole thing reads "A randomized, double-blind, triple-dummy trial to compare the efficacy of otamixaban with Unfractionated Heparin + eptifibatide, in patients with Unstable angina/Non ST segment Elevation Myocardial infarction scheduled to undergo an early invasive strategy [TAO EFC6204]"

The description (for us lesser mortals) reads

"The purpose of this study is to see how well intravenous (IV - drug given into a vein) otamixaban (a blood thinner) works compared to unfractionated heparin and eptifibatide (Integrillin) (two well known blood thinners) on top of aspirin and clopidogrel (Plavix) or another oral antiplatelet agent (medications also used to prevent heart clots but that can be taken by mouth). We also want to know how safe otamixaban is compared to the other drugs. Otamixaban (the "study drug") is an intravenous (IV) investigational drug, which means it has not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

That makes it a lot clearer, doesn't it?

over a year ago

Yep- if otamixaban doesn't work, you die and they've used an unlicensed drug on you. Let me join the queue for that now......

over a year ago

has she ever considered appearing in dictionary corner on countdown?

Post new Message to Thread