Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Plumbing advice please

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have noticed in the last week or so when I walk into my living room there is a faint greasy like smell, I live in the basement flat of a house which has 3 flats, I never pour any oil or fats down the drain but a friend of mine said that her parents had this type of smell in the front room of their house and it turned out to be a cracked drain pipe, could this be the problem and is there anything I can put down my drain to see if it cures it before contacting the landlord

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

In a nutshell no.

If you think there may be a problem, contact the landlord

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Apart from putting some Mr Muscle drain cleaner in your sink, no. I`m thinking about those other two flats above you and what`s coming down into presumably the same drain. Or perhaps it doesn`t bear thinking about!

over a year ago

You can get drain cleaner from B&Q (it cost's about £7 a bottle , there are two different kind of desolvant's, read both and see which has got the best result for you )They both desolve the fat ,grease, hair, washing water , etc that had passed down the pipe . I've used both and they work perfectly .

over a year ago

If it's all running into the main soil stack and the stack is leaking somewhere, grease will be the last thing to worry about, it's the contents of the closet that will be perculating out.

Poooooooh

over a year ago

If its a cracked pipe then you need a plumber not Mr muscle contact the landlord

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks all, I have a flat inspection by the letting agent on Wednesday, I will point it out and hopefully they will smell it, my next door neighbour has just been in and he could but my son says he can't

over a year ago

Pour some caustic soda, dish washer salt and some vinegary down the drain, then pour a kettle of hot water down the drain, in that order, it's sure to clear the smell and clean the drain, works every time failing that you need the plumber but as the agents are coming on Wednesday just let them know of the problem.

Post new Message to Thread