Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

fundrasing

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My friends been hit by breast cancer n her familys really struggling financially I been thinking about getting my head shaved to raise money. She going for a wig fitting today that gave me the idea. Dus anyone know if I can just do it of my own back n give her the money or if I have to go thru a charity , she wudnt get the money then but I b as happy to give to a charity .

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Your username is rather disturbing.

over a year ago

Get a petition up and ask people to sponsor you, chat to the Cancer charity that does fundraising and ask their advice

over a year ago

"Get a petition up and ask people to sponsor you, chat to the Cancer charity that does fundraising and ask their advice "

Wise words Kitten...

over a year ago

You need a petition!!!

You need a sponsor form that people can sign to donate money. Also look on 'just giving' website to see how you can get extra money from tax payers with every £1 they donate.

You could give it directly to her, but people may be less trusting. If she sets up a fundraising appeal first you can link into that.

Good luck

Gx

over a year ago

Thank u I new I cud do it officially but my mind just went blank n cudnt think. Will look that up wen get to work as on my fones internet.

over a year ago

"Thank u I new I cud do it officially but my mind just went blank n cudnt think. Will look that up wen get to work as on my fones internet. "

Good luck

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/05/11 07:45:23]

over a year ago

Are you wanting the funds to go direct to the lady or to a cancer charity in general ?

I find people can sometimes be cynical if money is being raised unofficially because there have been so many scams in the past (I'm not suggesting for one minute that this is a scam btw) and the money has never reached the intended target.

I'd definately suggets that you do it through an official means - there are many cancer charities who would be more than grateful for your donations, and they will give you sponsor forms, promotional material and help with your fundraising.

Use 'Just Giving' or similar to collect your funds, not forgetting the 'Gift Aid' option and this can be seen by all sponsors that what you are doing is completely above board and honest.

PS I'ts not too late to apply for a charity place in the Great North Run ....

Good luck and well done

over a year ago

In an ideal world I'd like to raise it for her kids but in reality it be to aa charity for the reasons u guys have mentioned. Thanks for ur ideas my minds gone on shut down mode this morning

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

Someone mentioned use Just giving here... could I just suggest you actually use help the heros instead? They offer a similar service, but you or the charity you nominate get to keep a higher proportion of the money raised and you also help the heros at the same time!

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

I've done charity work before and in every case, I foiund that the ebst way was to approach the Charity for which I wanted to raise money.

I found they had a whole department which will offer all the support going, sponsor form ideas, publicity and so on.

Good Luck.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/05/11 09:57:01]

over a year ago

At the moment I personally would concentrate on helping your friend in any practical and emotional way possible, and the most precious commodities you have are time and friendship. If your friend undergoes chemo, there will be days when she is beyond exhausted.

Look for an internet support group that helps people with breast cancer. My wife was a regular on the BCPals forum, you will find lots of people who can give your friend the benefit of their direct experience.

Don't rush into fundraising. A sponsored head-shave might raise more money if it's done perhaps as part of a special night at your local pub, or maybe organise a garden party. If you do decide you would rather raise money for charity, don't just assume it has to be for a national charity, please have a look for a good local charity, they often do so much more for the money. Whatever you do, good luck x

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"At the moment I personally would concentrate on helping your friend in any practical and emotional way possible, and the most precious commodities you have are time and friendship. If your friend undergoes chemo, there will be days when she is beyond exhausted.

Look for an internet support group that helps people with breast cancer. My wife was a regular on the BCPals forum, you will find lots of people who can give your friend the benefit of their direct experience.

Don't rush into fundraising. A sponsored head-shave might raise more money if it's done perhaps as part of a special night at your local pub, or maybe organise a garden party. If you do decide you would rather raise money for charity, don't just assume it has to be for a national charity, please have a look for a good local charity, they often do so much more for the money. Whatever you do, good luck x"

I'd support that whole heartedly. Many of the larger leading national charities have huge overheads and pay their top staff considerable amounts of money...this is going to be taken straight out of whatever you collect...much better to work with a smaller community based charity and know that whatever you raise is going to directly benefit the cause you wish it to. Again! good luck! and support your friend first and foremost. xx

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

phone the hospital she is being treated at, they will usually have a charity that helps support them, and do what ever fundraising you do for that charity.

Whilst that will not help her directly, it will help provide both for her and those in a similar position locally.

As someone said, the big national charities have huge overheads, and a lot of donations go towards that, small local charities are struggling, personally i prefer to support those.

which ever charity you go for, make sure they are legitimate, ask for the charity comission number, and check it out on the charity comission website, unfortunatley there are fake charities around.

Good luck, and all teh best to your friend

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

if as you say the family are struggling financially, try and make sure the basics are covered, food, housing, shelter etc

when you go shopping, buy a few extra of the basics, bread milk, etc,if you can afford to, tell her you bought too much and cant use it ask her if she can, she may accept she may not, but that maybe easier fro her to accept than donating cash which some people would be embarrased by.

over a year ago

Thank u for all ur help I have done a major shop on line focusing on buy one get one frees etc n put aside what I wudnt normally have for her family . Have emailed the centre she's under asking for how best to raise funds for them on a local level as appose to nationally . I have some understanding of the effects of chemo as I was my mums carer but I also no everyones individual n so don't assume to no it all if u no what I mean.

I work in social care n so am hoping to put some feelers out as to what they might be entitle to as in practical support not just benefits as i did a benefits check with her wen she told me n that's all in the pipeline thi I will of course keep an eye on that as they are not the most efficient department are they.

over a year ago

When you talk to the local hospital about their cancer centre, check if any money you raised would be allocated specifically to that centre or just swallowed up in the general hospital funding. Our centre had to give any donations to be spent across the hospital, and one or two people had left quite large amounts in their will, thinking it would help fellow cancer patients.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

I used to work in a mental health ward at a hospital and it bothered me that the patients didn't have any sort of special thing going on over Christmas.

So I decided they should have a party and I wrote begging letters to all sorts of business people round the local area and further afield asking them to donate raffle prizes to raise money for a Christmas party for the patients. People were super generous and I sold the raffle tickets and made a load of cash so the patients had a present each and a nice dinner.

No-one questioned what I was doing. I wrote to people on hospital headed paper, I'm sure I probably should have asked permission for that but I didn't and got away with it. I don't like the cynical folks that wonder what your motives are, it pissed me off that the NHS is run like a business, to me it's not!

I think the world has gone mad with political correctness and really, if you wanna do something nice for your friend, you should just go right ahead and do it.

Post new Message to Thread