Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Professional mentor

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Has anyone used one, is anyone one?

I have recently started working in a particular industry and have to complete continued professional development regularly to maintain my professional membership.

I don't feel that I can use my boss or colleague as a mentor as I feel they are too close to mejust wondered what other people's mentoring experience has been.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

When I was training I did - it was someone else within the organisation who wasn't involved in managing me or the same team or anything like that, who I could be really open and frank with about concerns and issues. It was useful. That worked because it was a big enough organisation, at a smaller place I would probably have preferred someone external.

over a year ago

My best mentor was my boss back in my early working life. He took an interest in my development from the day I was recruited to the firm, mentoring me until he offered me a job working for him. He continued that role as my boss acting more like a coach when needed and. Peer when we worked together.

During the most upending part of my working life I used a therapist as a mentor, because she was able to provide insight into my emotional nod spiritual experiences that others couldn't.

Over recent years I've acted as a mentor for a few people.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

In my last job I mentored people in the operation, it was something the company was trailing.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Did it all my working life. Got sent people from other branches too.

All I'd say is if you aren't comfy with who they offer it won't work. Trust and respect are key to it working out

Good luck

over a year ago

I found working in an industry forever tying to reinvent the terminology it applies attempting to motivate the workforce adopting the term Mentor added little value compared to accrediting those employees whose attitude were already stimulated by job satisfaction, money, security and prospects of career advancement.....

over a year ago

evesham

"I found working in an industry forever tying to reinvent the terminology it applies attempting to motivate the workforce adopting the term Mentor added little value compared to accrediting those employees whose attitude were already stimulated by job satisfaction, money, security and prospects of career advancement..... "

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. My asking for a mentor is nothing to so with my job satisfaction or career prospect at my current place of work (although making sure my cpd is up to date will help move up membership levels in my field of work and so improve employment opportunities elsewhere.)

over a year ago

"I found working in an industry forever tying to reinvent the terminology it applies attempting to motivate the workforce adopting the term Mentor added little value compared to accrediting those employees whose attitude were already stimulated by job satisfaction, money, security and prospects of career advancement.....

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. My asking for a mentor is nothing to so with my job satisfaction or career prospect at my current place of work (although making sure my cpd is up to date will help move up membership levels in my field of work and so improve employment opportunities elsewhere.)"

My post was nothing more than sharing an observation......

over a year ago

evesham

"I found working in an industry forever tying to reinvent the terminology it applies attempting to motivate the workforce adopting the term Mentor added little value compared to accrediting those employees whose attitude were already stimulated by job satisfaction, money, security and prospects of career advancement.....

I'm not quite sure I understand your point. My asking for a mentor is nothing to so with my job satisfaction or career prospect at my current place of work (although making sure my cpd is up to date will help move up membership levels in my field of work and so improve employment opportunities elsewhere.)

My post was nothing more than sharing an observation...... "

Oh OK

over a year ago

My post was nothing more than sharing an observation......

Oh OK "

Back in the days I served my apprenticeship our Journey-man freely took the responsibly for providing each apprentice with the necessary foundation of knowledge and skill that would accomplish an on-going commitment to keeping that trade alive ......

When the term mentor and mentee were introduced many off the old boys simply laughed their caps off .....

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

I did have one who was very good - the problem was that my boss at the time hated her so he didn't like me going for meetings with her

It was good to sound out various issues that I didn't want to talk with manager about or what could I do to improve and develop

I still keep in contact with her as she now works at HQ, she is not my mentor but we get on well

over a year ago

In the loosest sense.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Yes, in my current role you have to take a mentor in order to get the qualifications to progress through the company. It's a graduate scheme though so might be slightly different. I'm quite lucky as it's a fairly big organisation and she's not directly involved in aspects of my work so I can go to her for impartial advice and knowledge on certain things. She's been extremely helpful in aiding me find the right courses and learn another language so I have flexibility in what role I end up in.

Post new Message to Thread