Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

political correctness

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes, it is very bad and a blueprint is how it turnout out in sweden as feminists are governing there and noone can say what they really want without being labelled.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

There is a lot I'd like to say on this subject but I think I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and open the popcorn instead.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh shag!

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"Yes, it is very bad and a blueprint is how it turnout out in sweden as feminists are governing there and noone can say what they really want without being labelled."

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Oh shag!"

No, leave him be

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Yes, it is very bad and a blueprint is how it turnout out in sweden as feminists are governing there and noone can say what they really want without being labelled.

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?"

Yes, I'd like to know what people think the problem is

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh shag!

No, leave him be"

Done

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

The problem with PC is that the phrase is now overused to the point that anyone trying to change what they perceive is bad in this society is accused of it without reason.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Either by omission or inclusion I'm usually able to say what I mean .....

So when I say that a slight inclination of the cranium is as adequate as a spasmodic movement of one optic to an equine quadruped utterly devoid of any visionary capacity, when I mean a nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse, I could of course be bluffing.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yes, it is very bad and a blueprint is how it turnout out in sweden as feminists are governing there and noone can say what they really want without being labelled.

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?"

I reckon it is a mix of it, but noone dares to say anything about the immigration and that women get attacked by them, if they did, they would be labelled, that is why they would do much better under a reign of usa's free speech.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Usually followed by the words 'wow, just wow' from some oversensitive and weak minded fool

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?I reckon it is a mix of it, but noone dares to say anything about the immigration and that women get attacked by them, if they did, they would be labelled, that is why they would do much better under a reign of usa's free speech."

It is us as individuals who are defining political correctness though - as there haven't been any political correctness laws. (I'm doubting Sweden had any).

Are the anti-PC brigade against equality, ceasing hate crimes, or just what is their gripe?

Thanks for the giggle, Soxy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The problem with PC is that the phrase is now overused to the point that anyone trying to change what they perceive is bad in this society is accused of it without reason."

'What they perceive' being the focal point there

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"The problem with PC is that the phrase is now overused to the point that anyone trying to change what they perceive is bad in this society is accused of it without reason.

'What they perceive' being the focal point there "

Well spotted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh God....

Reply privately

By *eavenscentitCouple
over a year ago

barnstaple

"Yes, it is very bad and a blueprint is how it turnout out in sweden as feminists are governing there and noone can say what they really want without being labelled."

You mean white men can't say what they like...they did that for centuries

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"The problem with PC is that the phrase is now overused to the point that anyone trying to change what they perceive is bad in this society is accused of it without reason.

Well spotted."

These comments are fine but we're putting words in peoples' mouths.

I'd like to hear from people who think PC is a problem and why they think that.

Please

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was always under the impression that it mainly involved not being a total cunt to other people, but I'm now reliably informed it's gone mad and is the cause of all that's wrong in the world, which is quite an achievement.

Reply privately

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

"I'd like to hear from people who think PC is a problem and why they think that.

Please"

I think that peoples perception of what is and what isn't PC is the problem. Not sure if that's what you're after, but its an empty phrase, used by people who disagree with others opinions, but can't articulate why.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?I reckon it is a mix of it, but noone dares to say anything about the immigration and that women get attacked by them, if they did, they would be labelled, that is why they would do much better under a reign of usa's free speech."

I think the point is that women get attacked by immigrants and non immigrants and there are immigrants and non immigrants who don't attack people . It's not 'pc' to ask that an entire group of people are not judged by a fews actions

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think PC is a problem because it introduces a strain of anti-intellectualism and an unwillingness to talk about or even acknowledge certain things.

It is a regression to the mean for opinions and ways of thinking.

There is also PC by force... Twitter shame mobs etc which in my view is a form of vigilantantism

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Well spotted.

Please"

Do you think that they hang out somewhere else Joe?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm in favour of truth above all else, real statistics used properly and not the agenda driven lies, damn lies and creatively edited facts that are used to in the media and elsewhere

For example, if immigrants are seen to be causing more rape get the hard facts and not the agenda favourable ones and use that knowledge to guide your decision...

Reply privately

over a year ago

What would they like to say, but can't Shag? Is it political correctness causing this, or just much needed hate crime law?I reckon it is a mix of it, but noone dares to say anything about the immigration and that women get attacked by them, if they did, they would be labelled, that is why they would do much better under a reign of usa's free speech.

It is us as individuals who are defining political correctness though - as there haven't been any political correctness laws. (I'm doubting Sweden had any).

Are the anti-PC brigade against equality, ceasing hate crimes, or just what is their gripe?

Thanks for the giggle, Soxy "

No not us, it's the authorities fear to take action which is down to political correctness.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You mean white men can't say what they like...they did that for centuries "

Not just white, but everyone you know.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well spotted.

Please"

For me it would be due to how terms/phrases change suddenly and they are no longer considered politically correct to use them. This especially takes into the account of the older generation, many times I've heard the term 'half caste', but it's not politically correct to use this term it should be 'dual heritage' now.

Who determines what is politically correct and what isn't? How does it get spread across an entire population for them all to know? Why is it always changing? Why do certain terms get frowned upon, changed and then frowned upon again? It seems we're in a society that will have some minority that will not be happy and want terms/phrases changed, but how long does it go on for until no more is said?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agreed kimi

And after all they are only words.. Not sticks stones bricks or bombs

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd like to hear from people who think PC is a problem and why they think that.

Please

I think that peoples perception of what is and what isn't PC is the problem. Not sure if that's what you're after, but its an empty phrase, used by people who disagree with others opinions, but can't articulate why."

That's a neat encapsulation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This thread needs more jazz hands

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/11/16 19:48:40]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well spotted.

Please

For me it would be due to how terms/phrases change suddenly and they are no longer considered politically correct to use them. This especially takes into the account of the older generation, many times I've heard the term 'half caste', but it's not politically correct to use this term it should be 'dual heritage' now.

Who determines what is politically correct and what isn't? How does it get spread across an entire population for them all to know? Why is it always changing? Why do certain terms get frowned upon, changed and then frowned upon again? It seems we're in a society that will have some minority that will not be happy and want terms/phrases changed, but how long does it go on for until no more is said?

"

Half caste is offensive because it means half of one class and half of another as if one of their races is 'below' the other . I don't think it's pc to ask people not to use that term

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Well spotted.

Please

Do you think that they hang out somewhere else Joe? "

Mostly downstairs...

Worth a shot tho'

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Well spotted.

Please

"

If we go by the term half caste you have to look at the origins of that term to understand why it might be considered offensive and those pesky minorities would wish it to be changed. Caste derives from the latin of pure. There is also the caste system as well. Implying that a person is a lesser being is not a great thing.

Just because something has been done previously and historically it doesn't make it right. I could list numerous examples of things where 'Oh but it was that way before, why can't it stay that way?' is a poor reason Yes, the older generations loved and still love using it but that's merely from widely accepted ignorance and a privileged background of it not being used in an insulting manner.

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Oh and dual heritage? No, ta. I'm not. I prefer mixed race.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh and dual heritage? No, ta. I'm not. I prefer mixed race."

I was going to say that too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Half caste is offensive because it means half of one class and half of another as if one of their races is 'below' the other . I don't think it's pc to ask people not to use that term

"

This is a prime example for my argument... You have assigned a meaning to this word that may not be the same intended meaning as someone else using it (in good faith) to simple mean of mixed heritage or whatever the correct term is

You have assigned a negative connotation to a word others use innocently

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's brilliant, I no longer open doors for woman, I don't give up my seat on public transport for them and I don't feel guilty about pushing ahead of them in queues, let's have more I say.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

This is a prime example for my argument... You have assigned a meaning to this word that may not be the same intended meaning as someone else using it (in good faith) to simple mean of mixed heritage or whatever the correct term is

You have assigned a negative connotation to a word others use innocently "

I haven't 'assigned' anything. That's what it actually means !

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"This thread needs more jazz hands "

Go on then - get in the cam room and show us some

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"

I haven't 'assigned' anything. That's what it actually means !"

The negative connotation has long existed, it's only become more commonplacs due to ignorance and acceptable racism diluted through the ages.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There has to be an allowance for context also

'Cunt' can be friendly banter between friends or a vicious insult between strangers

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You have assigned a negative connotation to a word others use innocently "

But what's wrong with saying to that person who is using it innocently, hang on a minute, I'd prefer you didn't describe me that way, could you use "x" instead?

I have a load of mixed race cousins. My 80 year old grandma stopped using the term half caste when they said to her that they didn't like it because it made them feel "lesser" and like they didn't fit in to either the white or the black parts of the family. She obviously didn't mean it that way, but that's how they felt, so she was happy to start using a more neutral term like mixed race instead. Where's the problem with any of that? It may not be bombs and stones, but if terminology hurts or denigrates someone and it's easily changed, I don't see the argument for not changing it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

The negative connotation has long existed, it's only become more commonplacs due to ignorance and acceptable racism diluted through the ages."

But yet it takes a different meaning with the older generation?

You are stretching it too thin

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

But what's wrong with saying to that person who is using it innocently, hang on a minute, I'd prefer you didn't describe me that way, could you use "x" instead?

I have a load of mixed race cousins. My 80 year old grandma stopped using the term half caste when they said to her that they didn't like it because it made them feel "lesser" and like they didn't fit in to either the white or the black parts of the family. She obviously didn't mean it that way, but that's how they felt, so she was happy to start using a more neutral term like mixed race instead. Where's the problem with any of that? It may not be bombs and stones, but if terminology hurts or denigrates someone and it's easily changed, I don't see the argument for not changing it. "

100% agree. I will politely point out to someone who uses that term in front of me that it's offensive and explain why. If they continue to use it knowing its history then that's not innocence it's being offensive

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

There's something here from wikipedia, a take on the Dixie Chicks and the Iraq War -

'In 2003, Dixie Chicks, a U.S. country music group, criticized the then U.S. President George W. Bush for launching the war against Iraq.[85] They were criticized[86] and labeled "treasonous" by some U.S. right-wing commentators (including Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly).[23] Three years later, claiming that at the time "a virulent strain of right wing political correctness [had] all but shut down debate about the war in Iraq," journalist Don Williams wrote that "[the ongoing] campaign against the Chicks represents political correctness run amok" and observed, "the ugliest form of political correctness occurs whenever there's a war on.

http://www.mach2.com/williams/index.php?t=1&c=20060602120901

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm not too bothered with changing individual words and that happens naturally if the meaning involves into something unsavoury

I'm more concerned with concepts and ideas and the general 'wow just wow he didn't just say that' style of PC that hampers debate and free thinking

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"

The negative connotation has long existed, it's only become more commonplacs due to ignorance and acceptable racism diluted through the ages.

But yet it takes a different meaning with the older generation?

You are stretching it too thin "

No, it doesn't. It still relates back to the original meaning. Those of the older generation were around when it was used in various apartheid related incidents, acts that were passed etc. It's just commonly accepted ignorance that's not been challenged until recently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm not too bothered with changing individual words and that happens naturally if the meaning involves into something unsavoury

I'm more concerned with concepts and ideas and the general 'wow just wow he didn't just say that' style of PC that hampers debate and free thinking

"

What kind of concepts and ideas ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly that kind of thing Sophie

Reply privately

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

How our language evolves is very interesting and its speed has probably escalated, now that we're exposed to global media more increasingly.

I think it's generally reasonable to expect that people adapt their usage, where things do affect others, upsetting them etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Pacifism for one

Might hurt the feelings of those who dedicated their lives to fighting pointless wars

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its purely for politics. Nobody should have to put up with discrimination. But the governments have used this to their advantage cos of social media. Before social media government did nothing to exterminate discrimination. Now they use it as platforms. They want people at each others throats rather than government throats cos they are all been found out as corrupt so its a smoke screen but a huge one that'll last for decades.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The only things I have issue with are more the knock on effects - things like signs and leaflets being printed in multiple languages.

But mostly I prefer PC to the alternative.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its purely for politics. Nobody should have to put up with discrimination. But the governments have used this to their advantage cos of social media. Before social media government did nothing to exterminate discrimination. Now they use it as platforms. They want people at each others throats rather than government throats cos they are all been found out as corrupt so its a smoke screen but a huge one that'll last for decades. "

Bollocks. We had lectures on it in 1990 - 'man holes' should be 'people holes' and so on.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its purely for politics. Nobody should have to put up with discrimination. But the governments have used this to their advantage cos of social media. Before social media government did nothing to exterminate discrimination. Now they use it as platforms. They want people at each others throats rather than government throats cos they are all been found out as corrupt so its a smoke screen but a huge one that'll last for decades.

Bollocks. We had lectures on it in 1990 - 'man holes' should be 'people holes' and so on."

Did government do anything about it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Let's turn thing inside out for the sake of argument...

I'm a young man amongst a group planning a terrorist attack in a totally different culture. It would be very non PC of me at the time to pipe up and say 'hang on a minute lads, they are humans who eat, shit and bleed just like us'

Would I offend the sensibilities of the group?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its purely for politics. Nobody should have to put up with discrimination. But the governments have used this to their advantage cos of social media. Before social media government did nothing to exterminate discrimination. Now they use it as platforms. They want people at each others throats rather than government throats cos they are all been found out as corrupt so its a smoke screen but a huge one that'll last for decades.

Bollocks. We had lectures on it in 1990 - 'man holes' should be 'people holes' and so on.

Did government do anything about it? "

What??

Oh, I see. The government invented Instagram to sow the seeds of civil unrest. Doh, silly me.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Let's turn thing inside out for the sake of argument...

I'm a young man amongst a group planning a terrorist attack in a totally different culture. It would be very non PC of me at the time to pipe up and say 'hang on a minute lads, they are humans who eat, shit and bleed just like us'

Would I offend the sensibilities of the group? "

To which I imagine they'd reply "That's how we know we can kill them and scare them shitless."

Reply privately

over a year ago

What??

Oh, I see. The government invented Instagram to sow the seeds of civil unrest. Doh, silly me."

Yes silly you, twisting context. You missed the whole point get a brain.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What??

Oh, I see. The government invented Instagram to sow the seeds of civil unrest. Doh, silly me.

Yes silly you, twisting context. You missed the whole point get a brain. "

As I don't have one, you'll need to explain it. Because I can't see any point other than a nonsense conspiracy theory.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What??

Yes silly you, twisting context. You missed the whole point get a brain.

As I don't have one, you'll need to explain it. Because I can't see any point other than a nonsense conspiracy theory."

Its a conspiracy theory that government did nothing about discrimination before the rise of social media?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a coach and so have to be very careful with what I say (to be honest it does my head in) to give you a ridiculous example, if I'm playing a tag game with the kids I have to refer to the tagging person I choose as 'the tagger, or 'the chaser' not supposed to use 'it' as it's considered a derogatory term for an individual and might upset their sensibilities....

Guess what the kids call the tagger ....

Yep, those tree-hugging, wanked-up politically correct, simpletons who come up with this stuff live in a world of their own!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its a conspiracy theory that government did nothing about discrimination before the rise of social media? "

I admire that you can say that with a straight face, followed by the 'get a brain' slur

but still nonsense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Its a conspiracy theory that government did nothing about discrimination before the rise of social media?

I admire that you can say that with a straight face, followed by the 'get a brain' slur

but still nonsense."

That's a great answer. You really put me in my place

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a coach and so have to be very careful with what I say (to be honest it does my head in) to give you a ridiculous example, if I'm playing a tag game with the kids I have to refer to the tagging person I choose as 'the tagger, or 'the chaser' not supposed to use 'it' as it's considered a derogatory term for an individual and might upset their sensibilities....

Yep, those tree-hugging, wanked-up politically correct, simpletons who come up with this stuff live in a world of their own!!!"

What a lovely safe sterile world we will get to live in

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a coach and so have to be very careful with what I say (to be honest it does my head in) to give you a ridiculous example, if I'm playing a tag game with the kids I have to refer to the tagging person I choose as 'the tagger, or 'the chaser' not supposed to use 'it' as it's considered a derogatory term for an individual and might upset their sensibilities....

Yep, those tree-hugging, wanked-up politically correct, simpletons who come up with this stuff live in a world of their own!!!"

I've never heard advice like this.

I can believe some muppet misunderstood that being called 'it' might be regarded as impolite and stuck it onto a discussion on a fourth rate training session, but I can't believe anybody would take it credibly as a suggestion to change a game of tig.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In case anyone didn't get the reference earlier

This is the end game of political correctness... Avoiding perceived offense at all costs

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/566202/NUS-jazz-hands-clapping-anxiety-feminists

Reply privately

over a year ago

If your afraid to be labeled you've probably got a bad argument?.

If you think your point is valid just say it, if somebody doesn't like it, that's just life, don't worry about what they say, worry about what you say

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh and dual heritage? No, ta. I'm not. I prefer mixed race.

I was going to say that too "

But there are many that frown at the term 'mixed race', as they state there is only one race, the human race, so how can it be mixed?

I guess a better point is how do we know what is right or wrong. So many people seem to be easily offended now, more than ever before, that you have to be careful about pretty much anything you say or do, even if what was said/done was not meant to cause any disrespect.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But there are many that frown at the term 'mixed race', as they state there is only one race, the human race, so how can it be mixed?

I guess a better point is how do we know what is right or wrong. So many people seem to be easily offended now, more than ever before, that you have to be careful about pretty much anything you say or do, even if what was said/done was not meant to cause any disrespect."

I have never been told by anyone that mixed race is offensive - but if someone told me they found it offensive then I would ask what they prefer

Reply privately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"I guess a better point is how do we know what is right or wrong. So many people seem to be easily offended now, more than ever before, that you have to be careful about pretty much anything you say or do, even if what was said/done was not meant to cause any disrespect."

This is PC 'gone mad'

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess a better point is how do we know what is right or wrong. So many people seem to be easily offended now, more than ever before, that you have to be careful about pretty much anything you say or do, even if what was said/done was not meant to cause any disrespect."

I've never heard that about mixed race from anyone. Including all the mixed race people I know.

You don't have to be careful though. If I say something and someone says they don't like the term, and gives me a reason why, if I find the reason credible I'll use the term they suggest instead. It doesn't happen though, because it's incredibly easy not to offend or disrespect people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What if they are offended but don't want to make a fuss Ruby?

All these arbitrary rules in place of common sense and decency

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess a better point is how do we know what is right or wrong. So many people seem to be easily offended now, more than ever before, that you have to be careful about pretty much anything you say or do, even if what was said/done was not meant to cause any disrespect.

I have never been told by anyone that mixed race is offensive - but if someone told me they found it offensive then I would ask what they prefer "

Id say it's pretty rare that someone would approach someone and tell them their ethnicity, so I guess it more applies to an entire "group", like when you fill in forms (equality ones etc) not many have mixed race as an option now, you'll see dual heritage. Surely that would imply that somewhere along the line mixed race has been deemed inappropriate?

Reply privately

over a year ago

That emoji was not meant to be added, I clicked it as it posted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What if they are offended but don't want to make a fuss Ruby?

All these arbitrary rules in place of common sense and decency "

Political correctness, as I see it, can literally be boiled down to common sense and decency. It's common sense and decency that if someone says "hey, I don't like being referred to as half caste and this is why" that you would respect that and not use the term.

It's mostly bollocks whipped up by the media anyway. I work in one of those apparent bastions of political correctness gone mad, and there are no foreign translations of everything, there's still a Christmas tree, there's an England flag during the World Cup, we have 2 minute's silence on Remembrance Day....all the things that the tabloids would have you believe the "PC brigade" have outlawed. It's shite. People get offended by things that are offensive: and that's perfectly compatible with common sense and decency. There are no arbitrary PC rules out there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

as someone said above,i see it as treating people with common respect and decency...but last night it made me howl when an old episode of father ted had a warning before it,never heard it before, stating some people might find some scenes offensive..don't know what they referred to..catholic priests being portrayed as dumb,d*unk,crooks, or possibly priests dressed as the 3 degrees..or the blatant disrepect shown to the menmory of elvis..no idea, but made the episode even funnier to me!

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have never been told by anyone that mixed race is offensive - but if someone told me they found it offensive then I would ask what they prefer

Id say it's pretty rare that someone would approach someone and tell them their ethnicity, so I guess it more applies to an entire "group", like when you fill in forms (equality ones etc) not many have mixed race as an option now, you'll see dual heritage. Surely that would imply that somewhere along the line mixed race has been deemed inappropriate?

"

They don't have "dual heritage" either, at least not the ones I've seen recently. The forms tend to have more specific options about which races. A bit like they now often ask you to specify White-British as opposed to white-eastern European or whatever.

I'll happily stand corrected if someone tells me that mixed race isn't an acceptable term. But I'm fairly sure it is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Political correctness, as I see it, can literally be boiled down to common sense and decency. It's common sense and decency that if someone says "hey, I don't like being referred to as half caste and this is why" that you would respect that and not use the term.

It's mostly bollocks whipped up by the media anyway. I work in one of those apparent bastions of political correctness gone mad, and there are no foreign translations of everything, there's still a Christmas tree, there's an England flag during the World Cup, we have 2 minute's silence on Remembrance Day....all the things that the tabloids would have you believe the "PC brigade" have outlawed. It's shite. People get offended by things that are offensive: and that's perfectly compatible with common sense and decency. There are no arbitrary PC rules out there. "

exactly!! it's only a matter of days before the annual daily mail story saying councils have banned xmas appears again!

Reply privately

over a year ago

All these arbitrary rules in place of common sense and decency "

Common sense and decency didn't stop 'love thy neighbour' or 'till death do us part' from being seen as completely acceptable mainstream entertainment. I'm sure the producers at no point intended to cause offence.

Would you be comfortable with them repeat screening those programmes because the intention was humour?

Political correctness has been about education. Some people simply do not like the embarrassment caused when they are shown to be ignorant.

Common sense is learnt. Some people just don't have the decency to keep up to speed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Common sense and decency didn't stop 'love thy neighbour' or 'till death do us part' from being seen as completely acceptable mainstream entertainment. I'm sure the producers at no point intended to cause offence.

Would you be comfortable with them repeat screening those programmes because the intention was humour?

Political correctness has been about education. Some people simply do not like the embarrassment caused when they are shown to be ignorant.

Common sense is learnt. Some people just don't have the decency to keep up to speed.

"

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

They don't have "dual heritage" either, at least not the ones I've seen recently. The forms tend to have more specific options about which races. A bit like they now often ask you to specify White-British as opposed to white-eastern European or whatever.

I'll happily stand corrected if someone tells me that mixed race isn't an acceptable term. But I'm fairly sure it is."

I've yet to see one of those dual heritage forms. I'm genuinely interested to see one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"as someone said above,i see it as treating people with common respect and decency...but last night it made me howl when an old episode of father ted had a warning before it,never heard it before, stating some people might find some scenes offensive..don't know what they referred to..catholic priests being portrayed as dumb,d*unk,crooks, or possibly priests dressed as the 3 degrees..or the blatant disrepect shown to the menmory of elvis..no idea, but made the episode even funnier to me!"

But but but it's a slur against my race and should be banned

Reply privately

over a year ago

"as someone said above,i see it as treating people with common respect and decency...but last night it made me howl when an old episode of father ted had a warning before it,never heard it before, stating some people might find some scenes offensive..don't know what they referred to..catholic priests being portrayed as dumb,d*unk,crooks, or possibly priests dressed as the 3 degrees..or the blatant disrepect shown to the menmory of elvis..no idea, but made the episode even funnier to me!"

Well if it had been left to Ed milliband or the rest.... You'd never had seen it again!

Reply privately

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it."

They get right on my tits,

mainly due to the 50 year olds

wearing bobble hats,and their old college or

university scarfs,

and They never polish their

shoes,nor brush their hair.

They don't look like they can read,and still they always seem to have some kind of pseudo intellectual book under one arm.

And an old leather brief case under the other.

grrrrrrr,oh did I say,they get right on my tits.

Oops nearly forgot,

occasionally they post a loaded thread.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll happily stand corrected if someone tells me that mixed race isn't an acceptable term. But I'm fairly sure it is."

If it's acceptable to you then that is all that matters. It has been explained earlier in the thread that for some the belief is that there is only one human race. If you believe in multiple human races then you are correct. You may offend someone but at least you can articulate why. You're statement is no longer one being made in ignorance.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Blackie what you said there describes my stance but I'm confused... You seem to be for PC censorship etc?

If it is acceptable to me and I can explain why... Then it's OK?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Blackspice sorry mixed your name up

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

this..

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it."
Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple .

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple . "

That's not political correctness it was breaches of law. The fact that people don't understand the difference between the law and how to speak to people with respect shouldn't surprise me and yet...

You're usually such a stalwart for the 'successful' people who 'lead' the country and set the laws of the land.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple . "
In reality there is nothing wrong with it, but with pc everything is wrong if you dont agree with the norm.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I shouldn't have looked. PC Brigade and happy to declare it.

Some of the comments on this thread just make so stepping away.

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple .

That's not political correctness it was breaches of law. The fact that people don't understand the difference between the law and how to speak to people with respect shouldn't surprise me and yet...

You're usually such a stalwart for the 'successful' people who 'lead' the country and set the laws of the land.

"

In both cases the so called victim was manipulating the situation for their open Financial gain. They could easily have taken their businness else where but instead decided to use the situation to line their own pockets .

The law needs amending if this is the case as people should not be forced to go against their Christian beliefs .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple . In reality there is nothing wrong with it, but with pc everything is wrong if you dont agree with the norm."

that is complete rubbish, a statement like that just shows no comprehension of what political correctness even means.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"I shouldn't have looked. PC Brigade and happy to declare it.

"

Agreed, and it can only get worse!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple .

In both cases the so called victim was manipulating the situation for their open Financial gain. They could easily have taken their businness else where but instead decided to use the situation to line their own pockets .

The law needs amending if this is the case as people should not be forced to go against their Christian beliefs . "

I'd refer you to a good episode of the Good Wife which actually explained nicely why you're wrong.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The law needs amending if this is the case as people should not be forced to go against their Christian beliefs . "

So you'd be happy for me to refuse to provide you with a service because you're male and, for whatever reason, I believe that you go against my belief systems?

There's no point explaining the basics of law if you want to insist that someone's belief trumps everything.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I shouldn't have looked. PC Brigade and happy to declare it.

Agreed, and it can only get worse!"

same here..it's very depressing...and depressingly unsuprising!

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

It is an industry in itself and keeps lots of people in conpletely pointless jobs .

I find politically correct people to be condescending and patronising .

For some strange reason they assume that people are unable to stand up for themselves and need the assistance of the pious and self righteous brigdade .

It is of course a nice little money spinner for those who feel offended .

Once they have received their compensation the hurt thoughts rapidly dissappear.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

The law needs amending if this is the case as people should not be forced to go against their Christian beliefs .

So you'd be happy for me to refuse to provide you with a service because you're male and, for whatever reason, I believe that you go against my belief systems?

There's no point explaining the basics of law if you want to insist that someone's belief trumps everything.

"

Sometimes there can be concessions/exceptions or caveats in law though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple . In reality there is nothing wrong with it, but with pc everything is wrong if you dont agree with the norm.

that is complete rubbish, a statement like that just shows no comprehension of what political correctness even means."

No, it is not, as it means those christians cant use their religion of who gets in because of pc.

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

Yes because I respect peoples beliefs . There is freedom of choice . If you refused to take an order because you were offended , I would simply go to the next supplier .

If I was to consider complaining I would wonder what had gone wrong in my life and why I had free time to waste on trival and irrelevant matters .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If this is one of your pet subjects - it's not one of mine - what are the bad things that political correctness has sprung upon you? I'm not aware of any laws, for example, that include this term, so it does bemuse me, when the daily fail etc cover it. Christian bakers being taken to court for refusing to bake a cake celebrating gay rights . A Christian guest house owner being taken to court for refusing accommodation to a gay couple . In reality there is nothing wrong with it, but with pc everything is wrong if you dont agree with the norm.

that is complete rubbish, a statement like that just shows no comprehension of what political correctness even means.No, it is not, as it means those christians cant use their religion of who gets in because of pc."

not quite sure what that is supposed to mean, but if youre referring to the above christian bakery thing,then no, it's nothing to do with political correctness, it's to do with the law...as has been already said. Do you seriously believe people should be able to discriminate against others because they dont agree with their religious beliefs?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Blackie what you said there describes my stance but I'm confused... You seem to be for PC censorship etc?

If it is acceptable to me and I can explain why... Then it's OK?

"

I confess that I resorted to some sarcasm in that post, in hindsight I should not have. My point is that if someone tries to educate you on why they are offended, they choose correct scientific fact in order to do so and yet you choose to believe something else in order to remain comfortable in your stance then you are no longer ignorant of the fact you're causing an offence, your making the choice to do so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd refer you to a good episode of the Good Wife which actually explained nicely why you're wrong. "

Went to find this:

It nails exactly how hypocritical the above two examples are when you really work it down (if you're really not simply okay with understanding the reason explanations of discrimination already) as those pushing for the freedom of religion seem to pick and choose which freedoms they want far too often...

From the Good Wife where they debated the cake scenario and that of a wedding planner refusing to do the wedding of two gay guys: (legal tv drama)

“How many times did Jesus condemn homosexuality?” Diane asks the wedding planner, who fortuitously also appears to be a Biblical scholar. (Every TV show requires a little suspension of disbelief.) After the planner says Jesus never does, Diane goes on: “And how many times did Jesus condemn divorce?” “So you never planned a wedding for anyone who has been previously married?” “So your religious exemption is selective, at best.” “No more questions.”

End of.

Reply privately

over a year ago

that is complete rubbish, a statement like that just shows no comprehension of what political correctness even means.No, it is not, as it means those christians cant use their religion of who gets in because of pc.

not quite sure what that is supposed to mean, but if youre referring to the above christian bakery thing,then no, it's nothing to do with political correctness, it's to do with the law...as has been already said. Do you seriously believe people should be able to discriminate against others because they dont agree with their religious beliefs?

"

No I dont, but they should have some kind of rights too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes because I respect peoples beliefs . There is freedom of choice . If you refused to take an order because you were offended , I would simply go to the next supplier .

If I was to consider complaining I would wonder what had gone wrong in my life and why I had free time to waste on trival and irrelevant matters . "

Yeah all those people who fought for equal rights, they just had free time to waste didn't they -- it wasn't like important or anything!!

*facepalm* most depressingly ignorant opinion of the night award....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'd refer you to a good episode of the Good Wife which actually explained nicely why you're wrong.

Went to find this:

It nails exactly how hypocritical the above two examples are when you really work it down (if you're really not simply okay with understanding the reason explanations of discrimination already) as those pushing for the freedom of religion seem to pick and choose which freedoms they want far too often...

From the Good Wife where they debated the cake scenario and that of a wedding planner refusing to do the wedding of two gay guys: (legal tv drama)

“How many times did Jesus condemn homosexuality?” Diane asks the wedding planner, who fortuitously also appears to be a Biblical scholar. (Every TV show requires a little suspension of disbelief.) After the planner says Jesus never does, Diane goes on: “And how many times did Jesus condemn divorce?” “So you never planned a wedding for anyone who has been previously married?” “So your religious exemption is selective, at best.” “No more questions.”

End of.

"

excellent!! and very very simple....which, apparently it needs to be...though i'm sure still not quite simple enough for some...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Went to find this:

End of.

excellent!! and very very simple....which, apparently it needs to be...though i'm sure still not quite simple enough for some..."

Ignorance is bliss, I'm guessing the real world is too scary so why get educated.

(Darn it I'm being stereotypically condescending and patronising -- because I'm being PC -- but they're just all so stoooooopid!)

Reply privately

over a year ago

In my opinion, it's not political correctness that's the problem, it's the uncertain definition of the term and the fear of falling foul of "the PC brigade" should one transgress from the PC path.

In the case of the Rotherham prostitution ring, for example, many young girls suffered prolonged abuse because both the council workers and the police feared upsetting the muslim community by "over-zealous" questioning and answering. To me, those that are the bad side of "politically correct" are those that blindly follow the laws against discrimination rather than interpret them on a human level, as the situation dictates.

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

Went to find this:

End of.

"

Yes . And why should religious exemption not be selective? It is a question of freedom of choice .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Went to find this:

End of.

Yes . And why should religious exemption not be selective? It is a question of freedom of choice ."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In my opinion, it's not political correctness that's the problem, it's the uncertain definition of the term and the fear of falling foul of "the PC brigade" should one transgress from the PC path.

In the case of the Rotherham prostitution ring, for example, many young girls suffered prolonged abuse because both the council workers and the police feared upsetting the muslim community by "over-zealous" questioning and answering. To me, those that are the bad side of "politically correct" are those that blindly follow the laws against discrimination rather than interpret them on a human level, as the situation dictates."

What about those that feared upsetting Jimmy Saville? Don't blame bad policing on our anti discrimination laws.

Reply privately

over a year ago

that is complete rubbish, a statement like that just shows no comprehension of what political correctness even means.No, it is not, as it means those christians cant use their religion of who gets in because of pc.

No I dont, but they should have some kind of rights too."

that is the point!!! they have the same rights!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Yes . And why should religious exemption not be selective? It is a question of freedom of choice ."

There is a freedom of choice. The choice is not to run a business offering a service to the general public.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"In my opinion, it's not political correctness that's the problem, it's the uncertain definition of the term and the fear of falling foul of "the PC brigade" should one transgress from the PC path.

In the case of the Rotherham prostitution ring, for example, many young girls suffered prolonged abuse because both the council workers and the police feared upsetting the muslim community by "over-zealous" questioning and answering. To me, those that are the bad side of "politically correct" are those that blindly follow the laws against discrimination rather than interpret them on a human level, as the situation dictates.

What about those that feared upsetting Jimmy Saville? Don't blame bad policing on our anti discrimination laws. "

Although he was just as bad, if not worse, it was not his race or skin colour that helped him get away with his offending.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Yes . And why should religious exemption not be selective? It is a question of freedom of choice .

There is a freedom of choice. The choice is not to run a business offering a service to the general public."

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays...

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

Went to find this:

End of.

"

What correlation does a TV programme have to religion. ? No issues have bèen raised concerning divorce and most churches will do a marriage for divorcees .

Some people might be advised to remember that the traditional family unit is still the norm to which most people aspire .

However lots will not achieve it through circumstances which are beyond their control .

It must however be considered to be the normal.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

There is a freedom of choice. The choice is not to run a business offering a service to the general public.

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays... "

Can a commercial business choose what products they sell and to whom?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Most people who use the term political correctness don't actually understand what it is and seem to use the word as a go to defence 'political correctness gone mad' when their right to say something racist/hompohobix/misogynistic/sexist etc is challenged. But it says it all that instead of defending their views the need to attack the person challenging them is seen as the best defence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What about those that feared upsetting Jimmy Saville? Don't blame bad policing on our anti discrimination laws.

Although he was just as bad, if not worse, it was not his race or skin colour that helped him get away with his offending."

It was not the 'race' of the Rotherham prostitution ring that helped delay them facing justice, it was bad policing.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Although he was just as bad, if not worse, it was not his race or skin colour that helped him get away with his offending.

It was not the 'race' of the Rotherham prostitution ring that helped delay them facing justice, it was bad policing. "

That is very true and 100% on the money and the same could be said for Jimmy Savile

Reply privately

over a year ago

Went to find this:

End of.

What correlation does a TV programme have to religion. ? No issues have bèen raised concerning divorce and most churches will do a marriage for divorcees .

Some people might be advised to remember that the traditional family unit is still the norm to which most people aspire .

However lots will not achieve it through circumstances which are beyond their control .

It must however be considered to be the normal. "

Must it?

Some people might be advised to remember that they might have their views as to what they might aspire to and that others might think they are .... wrong. And that the law might just agree they're wrong on this one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays...

Can a commercial business choose what products they sell and to whom?"

A commercial business must operate within the law.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

A commercial business must operate within the law. "

So would the above be within the law?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

So would the above be within the law?"

?

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays... "

If someone wishes to run a commercial businness no one has any right to instuct them who they may or may not have as a client if a client or customer requests an activity which goes against the religious belief of the owner .

It is called freedom of choice .

If a businness made too many unacceptable decisions they would go under .

Luckily the bakery concerned have had tremendous support from the local community and are admired for standing up for their religious beliefs . If anything the publicity has made people more determined to support the bakery and their belief in family values .

I dont think the same can be said of the person who believed that they were discriminated against.

Sometimes being too pious and self righteous can badly backfire.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am not sure whether there is anything one can't really say about or to others. There are laws protecting people from discrimination and so on, also I know (as an example) it is illegal to deny the holocaust and invite hatred towards Jews. And rightly so.

Im the Victoria Derbyshire programme today, they were discussing discrimination against people with facial disfigurements. One young lady cited the use of the term 'mong' as being particularly hurtful. I immediately thought of the non-pc lot - so a question for those who rail against those who are in favour of political correctness.

Are negative, destructive terms like this ever acceptable and, does that make those of us abhor them 'the pc brigade?'

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays... If someone wishes to run a commercial businness no one has any right to instuct them who they may or may not have as a client if a client or customer requests an activity which goes against the religious belief of the owner .

Luckily the bakery concerned have had tremendous support from the local community and are admired for standing up for their religious beliefs . If anything the publicity has made people more determined to support the bakery and their belief in family values .

I dont think the same can be said of the person who believed that they were discriminated against.

Sometimes being too pious and self righteous can badly backfire. "

Not 'family values' again?! Please God no...

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

Went to find this:

End of.

Must it?

Some people might be advised to remember that they might have their views as to what they might aspire to and that others might think they are .... wrong. And that the law might just agree they're wrong on this one. "

However the law is generally considered to be an ass.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Exactly this -- thank you, saved me typing it. Go watch the episode it covers all of the points about the fact it's a commercial business which is why you can't discriminate -- it's different than your right to freedom of choice in your personal life, say inviting the divorced guy to your birthday party but not the gays... If someone wishes to run a commercial businness no one has any right to instuct them who they may or may not have as a client if a client or customer requests an activity which goes against the religious belief of the owner .

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Went to find this:

End of.

Must it?

Some people might be advised to remember that they might have their views as to what they might aspire to and that others might think they are .... wrong. And that the law might just agree they're wrong on this one. However the law is generally considered to be an ass. "

Not just the law...

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"I am not sure whether there is anything one can't really say about or to others. There are laws protecting people from discrimination and so on, also I know (as an example) it is illegal to deny the holocaust and invite hatred towards Jews. And rightly so.

Im the Victoria Derbyshire programme today, they were discussing discrimination against people with facial disfigurements. One young lady cited the use of the term 'mong' as being particularly hurtful. I immediately thought of the non-pc lot - so a question for those who rail against those who are in favour of political correctness.

Are negative, destructive terms like this ever acceptable and, does that make those of us abhor them 'the pc brigade?'

"

I do not think anyone would allow the terms which you quote to be used .

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

? "

The reason that I asked is that earlier in the thread the case of the gay wedding cake refusal was highlighted.

Could you tell me the difference between this and being refused an Italian BMT or a BLT Subway sandwich in a Halal operated Subway shop?

This actually happened to me. I didn't know it was a Halal only shop and the Italian BMT was shown on the menu

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am not sure whether there is anything one can't really say about or to others. There are laws protecting people from discrimination and so on, also I know (as an example) it is illegal to deny the holocaust and invite hatred towards Jews. And rightly so.

I do not think anyone would allow the terms which you quote to be used . "

So, political correctness is therefore a good thing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

The reason that I asked is that earlier in the thread the case of the gay wedding cake refusal was highlighted.

Could you tell me the difference between this and being refused an Italian BMT or a BLT Subway sandwich in a Halal operated Subway shop?

This actually happened to me. I didn't know it was a Halal only shop and the Italian BMT was shown on the menu

"

I'm not sure how a baker turning away a couple based on their sexuality compares to you inadvertantly buying halal food?

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination. "

The case to which I am referring was widely publicised and a ruling was passed on it recently .

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

I'm not sure how a baker turning away a couple based on their sexuality compares to you inadvertantly buying halal food?"

Maybe if you;d been turned away for not being muslim your analogy would make more sense?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I do not think anyone would allow the terms which you quote to be used .

So, political correctness is therefore a good thing."

only if you are able to grasp what it means...if you lack the intellect to do that,then apparently it's a terrible scourge on your right to be an ignorant bigot.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

"

That's a great question! I don't immediately know the answer but am going to do some investigating. Ooooh thanks, I like that example.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination. The case to which I am referring was widely publicised and a ruling was passed on it recently . "

Well that's clear then!! Can you clarify?

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

?

"

A very interesting question and one which I was thinking of asking but could not phase it properly . I did not want to offend the politically correct brigade by using the wrong terminology )

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

A very interesting question and one which I was thinking of asking but could not phase it properly . I did not want to offend the politically correct brigade by using the wrong terminology )"

Lol!!

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

?

I'm not sure how a baker turning away a couple based on their sexuality compares to you inadvertantly buying halal food?"

I wasn't asking for Halal food...Just unaware that the menu items were only avaialable in non Halal shops.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination. The case to which I am referring was widely publicised and a ruling was passed on it recently . "

Im not old enough to remember this, however I've recently seen on a documentary about black migration in the 50s that b and bs and other types of establishments used to have signs reading:

"No Dogs, Blacks or Irish"

Things like this necessitated the need for the Race Relations Act and expressly forbid this type of discrimination.

The bakery you cite effectively had this mindset again guys and non heterosexuals. We have the Human Rights Act which expressly forbids discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Which one would you repeal?

Also, would you so vehemently defend a business that stated:

No Swingers or people who have sex with more than one partner?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination. The case to which I am referring was widely publicised and a ruling was passed on it recently .

Well that's clear then!! Can you clarify? "

Do you mean Ashers?

The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

Appeal court judges said that, under law, the bakers were not allowed to provide a service only to people who agreed with their religious beliefs.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

?

A very interesting question and one which I was thinking of asking but could not phase it properly . I did not want to offend the politically correct brigade by using the wrong terminology )

Lol!!"

It's not meant to offend, it was a genuine question!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

If someone wishes to run a commercial businness no one has any right to instuct them who they may or may not have as a client if a client or customer requests an activity which goes against the religious belief of the owner .

Your post is factually incorrect. The law is clear. No commercial business trading in the UK and offering a service to the general public can use discrimination as part of the process they use in choosing which clients they will do business with. It is clear.

What do you think has backfired? The person discriminated against is backed by the law and therefore the State. They've been vindicated.

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

Please can you provide clear evidence of which case you're referencing? I'm using a theoretical case to explain discrimination-- you may be using another case with information I'm not aware of as to why it wasn't a case of discrimination. The case to which I am referring was widely publicised and a ruling was passed on it recently .

Im not old enough to remember this, however I've recently seen on a documentary about black migration in the 50s that b and bs and other types of establishments used to have signs reading:

Things like this necessitated the need for the Race Relations Act and expressly forbid this type of discrimination.

The bakery you cite effectively had this mindset again guys and non heterosexuals. We have the Human Rights Act which expressly forbids discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

No Swingers or people who have sex with more than one partner? "

Why would anyone be bothered if a businness refused to serve swingers ? You would simply take your businness elsewhere.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

I'm not sure how a baker turning away a couple based on their sexuality compares to you inadvertantly buying halal food?

I wasn't asking for Halal food...Just unaware that the menu items were only avaialable in non Halal shops."

Subway is a franchise. In predominantly asian and/or muslim areas some stores offer halal alternatives instead of or as well as non halal items

What has that got to do with political correctness? They aren;t refusing to serve anybody.

Reply privately

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"

Your post is factually incorrect. The law is clear. No commercial business trading in the UK and offering a service to the general public can use discrimination as part of the process they use in choosing which clients they will do business with. It is clear.

What do you think has backfired? The person discriminated against is backed by the law and therefore the State. They've been vindicated. "

However the local community backed the bakery so they have a moral victory ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

I wasn't asking for Halal food...Just unaware that the menu items were only avaialable in non Halal shops."

"In the United Kingdom and Ireland, fewer than 200 out of 1,500 Subway sandwich franchises conform to Muslim dietary restrictions: their meat suppliers are certified halal, and no pork products are used. Instead, those locations use turkey products to substitute for ham and bacon. Halal stores are clearly identified by signs throughout, including on the menu panels and in the front windows."

Perhaps they still advertise their other branches within the halal stores, or perhaps they did have advertising up which you missed, or perhaps they had the wrong advertising up and you missed out -- but no more than a restaurant running out of a particular dish etc. And you weren't being singled out (as mentioned further up) or discriminated against because of your protected characteristic. So just note that some subways are halal!

Reply privately

over a year ago

In the case of the Rotherham prostitution ring, for example, many young girls suffered prolonged abuse because both the council workers and the police feared upsetting the muslim community by "over-zealous" questioning and answering. To me, those that are the bad side of "politically correct" are those that blindly follow the laws against discrimination rather than interpret them on a human level, as the situation dictates."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

What do you think has backfired? The person discriminated against is backed by the law and therefore the State. They've been vindicated. However the local community backed the bakery so they have a moral victory .. "

No. They just get to hang out and be offensive together! You sound like you've resorted to going "na na na na nahhh na" -- it's pretty amusing, albeit childish.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

What do you think has backfired? The person discriminated against is backed by the law and therefore the State. They've been vindicated. However the local community backed the bakery so they have a moral victory .. "

that would depend on what you consider 'moral' i guess..personally i think discrimination is pretty immoral..

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

?

I wasn't asking for Halal food...Just unaware that the menu items were only avaialable in non Halal shops.

Subway is a franchise. In predominantly asian and/or muslim areas some stores offer halal alternatives instead of or as well as non halal items

What has that got to do with political correctness? They aren;t refusing to serve anybody. "

I didn't say it was, it was just an example of being refused a bacon butty from a shop that usually sells them.

The point That I didn't get is why is it ok to refuse to sell me a BMT when it was shown on the menu.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that you were refused service specifically because of your (percieved) religion?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

What has that got to do with political correctness? They aren;t refusing to serve anybody.

I didn't say it was, it was just an example of being refused a bacon butty from a shop that usually sells them.

The point That I didn't get is why is it ok to refuse to sell me a BMT when it was shown on the menu.

"

so if it;s got nothing to do with [political correctness, why did you bring it up?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

that has just been explained at great and detailed length. It was not available. very simple.no discrimination involved at all.i really dont get the confusion.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

"

No differance between the cake shop and a halal subway both claiming due to religion but no one will dare say anything against islam and there beliefs its a joke

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that you were refused service specifically because of your (percieved) religion? "

I think the upset is more about perceived false advertising (which if is then pushed as being the halal religions are out to get me, and I don't think that is being pushed, would be thinly veiled bigotry) and simply a case of -- it was on the picture/menu so I should have been allowed it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that you were refused service specifically because of your (percieved) religion? "

I think they're suggesting that a shop not selling what they wants is somehow discrimination.

No idea what happens is they want pepsi with it and they only sell

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

No differance between the cake shop and a halal subway both claiming due to religion but no one will dare say anything against islam and there beliefs its a joke "

Yes a subway serving halal meet is exactly the same as turning away people...

Is there a rule that shops must sell what you want? Goes any one call a traditional butcher racist for not selling Halal meat?

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

?

"In the United Kingdom and Ireland, fewer than 200 out of 1,500 Subway sandwich franchises conform to Muslim dietary restrictions: their meat suppliers are certified halal, and no pork products are used. Instead, those locations use turkey products to substitute for ham and bacon. Halal stores are clearly identified by signs throughout, including on the menu panels and in the front windows."

Perhaps they still advertise their other branches within the halal stores, or perhaps they did have advertising up which you missed, or perhaps they had the wrong advertising up and you missed out -- but no more than a restaurant running out of a particular dish etc. And you weren't being singled out (as mentioned further up) or discriminated against because of your protected characteristic. So just note that some subways are halal! "

Thanks for that in-depth answer. You are very probably correct in the fact that I missed any halal only signs.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"

Please clarify. Are you suggesting that you were refused service specifically because of your (percieved) religion?

I think they're suggesting that a shop not selling what they wants is somehow discrimination.

No idea what happens is they want pepsi with it and they only sell "

I was not suggesting that at all......I showed an example, and asked a genuine question, that is all.

Now, are you suggesting that I shouldn't have asked a genuine question due to it being potentially politically incorrect?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No Swingers or people who have sex with more than one partner? Why would anyone be bothered if a businness refused to serve swingers ? You would simply take your businness elsewhere. "

I am so glad I am not you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

No differance between the cake shop and a halal subway both claiming due to religion but no one will dare say anything against islam and there beliefs its a joke "

The difference is that the cake is available to buy in the Christian cake shop and so refusing to let the fat couple buy it is (proven in law) discriminatory.

The issue in the halal subway is that the particular meat wanted is not on offer and hence the person wanting it is not being discriminated against. The interesting point is that apparently it was on the menu -- which poses an interesting question -- however I think the subway shop may only be guilty of having the wrong thing on show and not discrimination as they don't offer the product!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

No differance between the cake shop and a halal subway both claiming due to religion but no one will dare say anything against islam and there beliefs its a joke

Yes a subway serving halal meet is exactly the same as turning away people...

Is there a rule that shops must sell what you want? Goes any one call a traditional butcher racist for not selling Halal meat?"

Likewise a Subway* selling only non-halal meat?

*other fast food outlets, who alternate their menus to suit customer need and expectation also exist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No they haven't. The local community is part of the UK and the UK has spoken via the law of the land, there's only one winner here!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I was not suggesting that at all......I showed an example, and asked a genuine question, that is all.

Now, are you suggesting that I shouldn't have asked a genuine question due to it being potentially politically incorrect?

"

It was an interesting question which was useful to consider. It is not the same as asking for Coke when they sell Pepsi, it's a little frustrating that it's being oversimplified like that as it posed an interesting concept that did have the possibility of bearing on the original example. However, not to the extent that it backs up the illegal stance of the Christian bakers refusing the gay couple a cake supporters would like it to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

?

The difference is that the cake is available to buy in the Christian cake shop and so refusing to let the fat couple buy it is (proven in law) discriminatory.

The issue in the halal subway is that the particular meat wanted is not on offer and hence the person wanting it is not being discriminated against. The interesting point is that apparently it was on the menu -- which poses an interesting question -- however I think the subway shop may only be guilty of having the wrong thing on show and not discrimination as they don't offer the product! "

Lol!! Typo!! Not fat -- gay couple

Reply privately

over a year ago

Everyone will have a view of what pc is and what it is not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Everyone will have a view of what pc is and what it is not."

And some are supported and backed up by law. And some are not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's political correctness gone mad I tell you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The End

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

No Dan, jumping in and making a fly away comment that undermines reasoned explanations as to what is and isn't discrimination under the law, as the last comment on the thread annoys me. Not happening!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

Ahh I now understand your question. The answer is simple. It is irrelevant what your religion is, they simply did not have the product available to sell to anyone.

No business must have a specific product available.

If it is available then they cannot refuse to sell it to you based on discrimination.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes Blackspice! . That was pithy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It was a good discussion on pc

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hope you found it educational Shag.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Everyone will have a view of what pc is and what it is not."

Interesting point; it's fair to say that certain stereotypes exist because they are based on a measure of truth, eg:

Tory politician: "The over-reaction to that joke I told about the bloody nog-nogs is just another example of political correctness gone mad!"

Vs.

Limp-wristed idiot: "I'm not sure I feel comfortable with your use of the word 'woman', and the assumption of an inflexible gender binary that goes with it..."

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

BUT

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gissakiss DJ

Reply privately

over a year ago

Just abit there estella. I still stand on what I see it as and that is the authorities fear to take action which is down to political correctness.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

If what Voltaire says is still true, that: "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise,"

Then we would be ruled over by women, blacks, gays, one-legged Muslim single mothers...

It just doesn't quite stack up.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh Shag!

Reply privately

over a year ago

But yeah, it is intersting

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seriously, gissakiss DJ

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

Politically correct angel that I am!

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Seriously, gissakiss DJ "

Why not?

If the world's ending we might as well go out in style!

Lets Face The Music and Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJHnKw7YNA

Reply privately

over a year ago

Awesome.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ignorance is bliss. Political correctness challenges that bliss and brings with it embarrassment and discomfort.

Try and place the blame for the discomfort on becoming aware of ignorance not political correctness.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gissakiss Blackspice

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Awesome."

I am.