Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Would you lie?

Jump to newest

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

On a job application form, when asked what your sexual orientation is... are you honest or do you tell lies?

/curious!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Always Willing to learn lol

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

I always point sort of North-north-east.

I'm puzzled why I would need to lie about it.

By *eppersCouple
over a year ago

telford

what has your sexual orientation gotta do with any job application,!!!!

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Technically, they shouldn't be asking at the application stage.

By *ooty and suuCouple
over a year ago

barnsley

they shouldnt ask at any stage

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

See this is kinda how I feel... I think it has something to do with equal opportunities or something. They don't want you to put your DOB on the application yet they ask which age bracket you fall into?!

I don't think my sexuality has any relevance at all, it doesn't have any bearing on my ability to do the job...

However, I lied all the same!

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"they shouldnt ask at any stage "

They are allowed/expected to monitor to comply with equal opportunities legislation.

over a year ago

I wouldn't lie on an application form, I would tick the 'other' box because its none of their business

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I wouldn't lie on an application form, I would tick the 'other' box because its none of their business "

See the 'other' box was 'I'd rather not say' and to be honest, whilst that is the case, I don't have anything to hide, I just don't think it's anyone else's business. My private life is private when it comes to work.

By *ee_awMan
over a year ago

newcastle

Yeah - I don't see what your sexual orientation has to do with a job application... mind you, nor does your religion, age, sex and many other things you're asked for!

On sexual orientation i always put 'prefer not to say' but I often think that people will then think you're gay but not willing to say so...

over a year ago

"On a job application form, when asked what your sexual orientation is... are you honest or do you tell lies?

/curious! "

I'm not ashamed to be straight!

over a year ago

"they shouldnt ask at any stage

They are allowed/expected to monitor to comply with equal opportunities legislation."

That is correct, I've never had to answer the question as I've worked in the same place for 26 years

over a year ago

They are allowed/expected to monitor to comply with equal opportunities legislation."

Isn't equal opportunities monitoring done on an anonymised basis ie you should be in a position to tell how many employees fall into which age group, which ethnic origin, what sexual orientation etc but you don't actually need to know which employee falls into which category.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"On a job application form, when asked what your sexual orientation is... are you honest or do you tell lies?

/curious!

I'm not ashamed to be straight! "

I'm not ashamed to be bisexual either... I just don't belive it to be relevant to a job in an office.

over a year ago

Well i would give you a job in my company dirty girl and your sexual orientation would be safe with me !

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

No.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Well unless they are going to be joining us for a threesome some time soon then it isn't any of their business, so I would say mind your own

over a year ago

My sister works for a very large supermarket, she was told a few weeks ago by her boss if they knew she was gay at the application stage she would not have been employed.

over a year ago

Well as the only job I’d even consider applying for, would the position of official test pilot at the Kinky Boot Company….claiming I was straight would be rather silly

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I cant see what my sexual orientation has to do with anyone else, same as i cant see what my religous belives are. I wouldnt lie though, if there was a box to cover it then id tick if not just tick any other

over a year ago

"My sister works for a very large supermarket, she was told a few weeks ago by her boss if they knew she was gay at the application stage she would not have been employed."

Thats disgusting!!! am sure she could take that further if she wanted, what an unprofessional thing to say!!

over a year ago

"My sister works for a very large supermarket, she was told a few weeks ago by her boss if they knew she was gay at the application stage she would not have been employed.

Thats disgusting!!! am sure she could take that further if she wanted, what an unprofessional thing to say!! "

They discriminate all the time, my sis and her partner work together and aren't allowed to take holidays together.

Other employees who are married or in a relationship don't have a problem getting holidays together.

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"My sister works for a very large supermarket, she was told a few weeks ago by her boss if they knew she was gay at the application stage she would not have been employed.

Thats disgusting!!! am sure she could take that further if she wanted, what an unprofessional thing to say!!

They discriminate all the time, my sis and her partner work together and aren't allowed to take holidays together.

Other employees who are married or in a relationship don't have a problem getting holidays together.

That's just the tip of the iceberg."

they should contact HR or the diversity forum that will exist for advice. xx

over a year ago

they should contact HR or the diversity forum that will exist for advice. xx"

I am trying to encourage them to do something about it View, they are young and moan about how they are being treated but don't have the courage to stand up. I won't let this rest though believe me.

over a year ago

"My sister works for a very large supermarket, she was told a few weeks ago by her boss if they knew she was gay at the application stage she would not have been employed."

Well in instances such as these then the thing to say is, oh I see, would you mind putting the reasons why in writing and sign the same for me, so I can be completely clear what you are saying'

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

they should contact HR or the diversity forum that will exist for advice. xx

I am trying to encourage them to do something about it View, they are young and moan about how they are being treated but don't have the courage to stand up. I won't let this rest though believe me."

good on ya xxx good luck to them xx

over a year ago

Sorry, forgot to answer the original question.

No i don't think you should have to say on your application.

over a year ago

If someone insisted I say how I play I would simply say 'straight'. Let them guess otherwise.

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

funny this coming up had equality and diversity training this morning

and the ops question was on a paper we had to fill in dont think they liked my reply as long as you can do your job does it matter

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Whenever it asks "Sex" on a job application i usually write "Often".

To date i have had :

257 No replies

7 Inter_iews

1 Shag, and

0 Job.

By *inky24big35Couple
over a year ago

blackpool

/curious!

I'm not ashamed to be straight!

I'm not ashamed to be bisexual either... I just don't belive it to be relevant to a job in an office. "

totally agree x

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"they shouldnt ask at any stage "

Yeap, HR laws are no discrimination, against sex, race, religion or creed, so shouldn't ever come up in any application or job inter_iews!

By *ruitWoman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

On some training for my volunteer work the question came up about A man high in the organisation is well known to be gay and they were discussing how it came to peoples attention. I was quite glad that people were open about it and made me feel happier about my sexuality and if it came into public knowledge

over a year ago

I put bi on my graduate schemes. If it had helped me get an inter_iew or job then so be it, definitely wouldn't lie about it though to increase chances (can understand why people do put straight on applications though)

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

/curious! "

I have lied about far less personal stuff than that on jod applications! How else do you get an edge??????

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

/curious!

I have lied about far less personal stuff than that on jod applications! How else do you get an edge??????"

Sorry... I think maybe you misunderstand? I wouldn't use my sexuality to get a job. I really don't think that I need to 'get an edge' and I don't need to lie - if that's what you mean - maybe I'm misunderstanding you... I genuinely don't believe that my sexuality has any relevance to my ability to do any sort of job that I'm likely to apply for.

over a year ago

Yeap, HR laws are no discrimination, against sex, race, religion or creed, so shouldn't ever come up in any application or job inter_iews! "

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a moment but, if you don't ask questions about religion, sexuality or gender reassignment, for example, how can you be sure you're not inadvertantly discriminating against people on those grounds?

By not asking it would be possible, admittedly in extreme circumstances, to find yourself having unwitting employed a workforce which is made up 100% of Muslim homosexuals who've had a sex change.

Anyone who isn't a gay Muslim transexual might well feel discriminated against

over a year ago

Not many people here in UK would put bi on a job application (and even less in Scotland dare I say) as it implies confusion, which people on the outside don't do well. Fewer people define themselves these days by their work alone and more people working from home so need is not there. Some stats....Bi/curio girls to straight girls is close to 55:45 ......and 68% of those go on to live the dream in swinging relationships. (I just totally made that up but if you believe it enough it might just come true!)

over a year ago

"I always point sort of North-north-east.

I'm puzzled why I would need to lie about it. "

im puzzled why they would ask something like that on a job application form?

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

They shouldn't ask. If they do, I could be honest (I am straight) but anyone who isn't straight and feels sensitive about it should lie without compunction.

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

/curious!

I have lied about far less personal stuff than that on jod applications! How else do you get an edge??????

Sorry... I think maybe you misunderstand? I wouldn't use my sexuality to get a job. I really don't think that I need to 'get an edge' and I don't need to lie - if that's what you mean - maybe I'm misunderstanding you... I genuinely don't believe that my sexuality has any relevance to my ability to do any sort of job that I'm likely to apply for.

"

No my fault I didn't really express myself well. The first question is whether I would lie on a job application and the answer is yes if it would give me the best chance of getting that job. Not talking big stuff like claiming to have gone to Eton or having a degree in medicine. So if there was a chance that a question might lead to me being discriminated against if I told the truth then I would tell a porky! If the question was about my sexuality I would think it wouln't be a legitimate question as it is nobody's business but mine.

over a year ago

I was posed this question on an application form today, and the other day as well. Had to think for a few seconds as to why they were asking! Seems ridiculous really... but no I wouldn't lie, I think they might be a bit suprised fi I turned up and I had put I was gay and some other more diverse ethnicity. Not sure what I'd put actually to be as diverse as possible!

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Eskimo?

By *anny PepperoniMan
over a year ago

Matlock

"I was posed this question on an application form today, and the other day as well. Had to think for a few seconds as to why they were asking! Seems ridiculous really... but no I wouldn't lie, I think they might be a bit suprised fi I turned up and I had put I was gay and some other more diverse ethnicity. Not sure what I'd put actually to be as diverse as possible!"

Yeah but you are a straight guy if you were gay and you suspected that by giving an honest answer you might do yourself out of the job would you be honest? Never seen that on an application form myself.

over a year ago

"Eskimo? "

I dont think that was in the drop down list

Post new Message to Thread