Back to The Lounge

feed the birds

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Bore da Fabbers, Friends and Forumites.

As Mary Poppins sang

"feed the birds"

Woke up this morning and the fields out side have been coated in a thin shimming of white diamond of frosting. It's oh so very beautiful.

Wonderful as it is , it means slim pickings for our feathered friends.

So in appreciation of their beautiful sings and colour this summer . Please stock up your bird feeders ans let's look after our tweety chums

Taff & Pooch

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

Always have done, but at the moment my garden has trays of duck food which my geese and ducks seem to be ignoring, so the birds help themselves.

By *ildt123Man
over a year ago

Huddersfield

Always do, food for birds here 365 days a year and water especially if it's a hard frost

over a year ago

"Always have done, but at the moment my garden has trays of duck food which my geese and ducks seem to be ignoring, so the birds help themselves."

Ha ha brilliant, I add some growers chicken pellets to my bird feeders

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

With all the best intentions we would do that in our garden, BUT......we have two kitties that decimate bird populations if they fly to the garden. So we'd prefer not to be party to the inevitable avian genocide. Instead, we go and feed the swans and ducks at the local park. Oats and seeds, not bread. Bread is junk food for ducks.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

"With all the best intentions we would do that in our garden, BUT......we have two kitties that decimate bird populations if they fly to the garden. So we'd prefer not to be party to the inevitable avian genocide. Instead, we go and feed the swans and ducks at the local park. Oats and seeds, not bread. Bread is junk food for ducks. "

Give them some peas as well, duck go crazy for peas.

over a year ago

"With all the best intentions we would do that in our garden, BUT......we have two kitties that decimate bird populations if they fly to the garden. So we'd prefer not to be party to the inevitable avian genocide. Instead, we go and feed the swans and ducks at the local park. Oats and seeds, not bread. Bread is junk food for ducks. "

Ah yes that's a splendidly lovely thing to do too

By *erdita Von TeaseWoman
over a year ago

nottingham

We always have fun in ours making homemade birdfeedeers, melt lard, add seeds and nuts, mix and pour into plastic cups. Then we bird spot....ok I know this sounds a bit lame when I type it

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Best way to get the pheasants into my garden

Blammo

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

"We always have fun in ours making homemade birdfeedeers, melt lard, add seeds and nuts, mix and pour into plastic cups. Then we bird spot....ok I know this sounds a bit lame when I type it "

Not at all lame...I'm sure they love your home-made food, and it obviously gives you a great sense of well-being x

over a year ago

"We always have fun in ours making homemade birdfeedeers, melt lard, add seeds and nuts, mix and pour into plastic cups. Then we bird spot....ok I know this sounds a bit lame when I type it "

It's not lame at all its brilliant, its some thing I go too. I have an outdoor camera trap and put it near the feeder . Some amazing pictures

over a year ago

It's not lame at all its brilliant, its some thing I go too. I have an outdoor camera trap and put it near the feeder . Some amazing pictures

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I too feed all year round. I have a cat but she has been trained simply by altering her routine when she catches a bird - stern voices, kept inside for a day, prevented from sleeping upstairs on the bed etc.. Yes, she still catches the odd one but it seems to have worked!

As for the birds and food, apart from the regular sparrows and starlings, the latter only recently beginning to increase, we get Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits. Yellow Hammers come in from the chalk fields when the weather gets colder as do Reed Buntings which come in from the river We get a few blackbirds who have stripped virtually every berry from my larger leaf cotoneaster shrubs (they don`t like the smaller cotoneaster horizontalis) but hardly ever see a thrush Our prize visitors though are the black and white woodpeckers! We do get the occasional green woodpecker but they`re always a solitary bird and ground feeding. Since I don't ground feed we don`t get very many!

I don`t get any suet/fat products from B&Q as the birds don`t seem to like them. Some Johnson & Jeffs products are ignored too! I have one feeder which I put the cheapest budgie seed I can get from the Range! I have, in the past, bought large sacks of peanuts from auction but have found that they go stale after about a year. Thankfully, I have a great guy who visits my local market selling pet foods and not only is his food good quality, his prices are good and he`s also a enthusiastic bird feeder so we swap ideas and birds feeding experiences.

over a year ago

"I too feed all year round. I have a cat but she has been trained simply by altering her routine when she catches a bird - stern voices, kept inside for a day, prevented from sleeping upstairs on the bed etc.. Yes, she still catches the odd one but it seems to have worked!

As for the birds and food, apart from the regular sparrows and starlings, the latter only recently beginning to increase, we get Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits. Yellow Hammers come in from the chalk fields when the weather gets colder as do Reed Buntings which come in from the river We get a few blackbirds who have stripped virtually every berry from my larger leaf cotoneaster shrubs (they don`t like the smaller cotoneaster horizontalis) but hardly ever see a thrush Our prize visitors though are the black and white woodpeckers! We do get the occasional green woodpecker but they`re always a solitary bird and ground feeding. Since I don't ground feed we don`t get very many!

I don`t get any suet/fat products from B&Q as the birds don`t seem to like them. Some Johnson & Jeffs products are ignored too! I have one feeder which I put the cheapest budgie seed I can get from the Range! I have, in the past, bought large sacks of peanuts from auction but have found that they go stale after about a year. Thankfully, I have a great guy who visits my local market selling pet foods and not only is his food good quality, his prices are good and he`s also a enthusiastic bird feeder so we swap ideas and birds feeding experiences."

That's fantastic and its wonderful seeing the birds on the feeders . I have two cheeky woodpeckers that visit too , always a pleasure to see them

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

That's all well and good if you have a garden but when you live in a flat and the eejits leave half a loaf (whole) out for the seagulls who then proceed to shit all over my car, my love of nature becomes choosy!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I've fed them for years but next door's cat has been a terror, which is so upsetting when he catches any. 365 feeding is important, as others say. Kestrel visited last week but didn't harm anything.

over a year ago

In Malta they just shoot them..

over a year ago

just bought some wiggly things for the robins and peanuts for the tits

over a year ago

"That's all well and good if you have a garden but when you live in a flat and the eejits leave half a loaf (whole) out for the seagulls who then proceed to shit all over my car, my love of nature becomes choosy! "

lol! I have a back yard and my neighbour was leaving big chunks of bread out which attracted....... RATS!

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"As Mary Poppins sang... "

I was singing it as soon as I saw the title!

We haven't started yet, we only feed them in the winter to tide them over. (We want them on pest-control duties during the rest of the year)

Even then I'm very particular who I feed.

Our neighbours, on the other hand, simply put loads on the ground & end up feeding the rats

Mr ddc

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Aren't you only supposed to feed them when the weather gets really bad?

By *LCCCouple
over a year ago

Cambridge

"That's all well and good if you have a garden but when you live in a flat and the eejits leave half a loaf (whole) out for the seagulls who then proceed to shit all over my car, my love of nature becomes choosy!

lol! I have a back yard and my neighbour was leaving big chunks of bread out which attracted....... RATS! "

Rats need fattening up too!

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

"Bore da Fabbers, Friends and Forumites.

As Mary Poppins sang

"feed the birds"

Woke up this morning and the fields out side have been coated in a thin shimming of white diamond of frosting. It's oh so very beautiful.

So in appreciation of their beautiful sings and colour this summer . Please stock up your bird feeders ans let's look after our tweety chums

Taff & Pooch

"

Already done Taff & purchased a stock of fat balls last night to go out soon.

S

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"

S"

I also like birds enjoying my fat balls

MrB

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

"

S

I also like birds enjoying my fat balls

MrB"

S

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

How do you present the cups for the birds to feed from do you fix them to anything I,m sure the birds enjoy the mix.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"I've fed them for years but next door's cat has been a terror, which is so upsetting when he catches any. 365 feeding is important, as others say. Kestrel visited last week but didn't harm anything. "
Nature as its predators as do birds in the garden and normally everything is balanced out But the domestic cat thou it is only his/her natural Instinct they do not have a natural role to play in the garden has a predator as they did not get there themselves like the sparrowhawk you can,t fool nature for long I,m sure richard attenborough could tell you that but where would the domestic cat be without us.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"In Malta they just shoot them.. "
Anything that moves they shoot there Includeing forest guards and the like, birdlife is top of the agenda or was.

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"just bought some wiggly things for the robins and peanuts for the tits "
mealworms probabily the robins love them..

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

"Bore da Fabbers, Friends and Forumites.

As Mary Poppins sang

"feed the birds"

Taff & Pooch

S"

The wood mice like them if they can get at them thou I don,t mind wood mice to much.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Aren't you only supposed to feed them when the weather gets really bad?"

Oh gosh noooo!!!!! RSPB recommends all year round feeding and we get the parents bringing the offspring to show them where the food is! You may find that consumption may go down at various times of the year so you feed accordingly. In fact, consumption may go UP when the youngsters are about!

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

I'd love to,but I found a dead little bird outside my back door this morning so I don't want to encourage then

over a year ago

With three cats, I look upon it as "entrapment" so refrain x

V

over a year ago

"I'd love to,but I found a dead little bird outside my back door this morning so I don't want to encourage then "

Oh heavens it was a cold night last night. So some fat balls will help them make it through the winter

over a year ago

"With all the best intentions we would do that in our garden, BUT......we have two kitties that decimate bird populations if they fly to the garden. So we'd prefer not to be party to the inevitable avian genocide. Instead, we go and feed the swans and ducks at the local park. Oats and seeds, not bread. Bread is junk food for ducks.

Give them some peas as well, duck go crazy for peas."

If you have any potatoes in the kitchen that have passed their sell by date, give them to the ducks!

Ducks go crazy for old rotten tatties!

over a year ago

I feed them all year round

Nuts, seed and fatballs as different species prefer different food.

I've a super fat robin visiting daily - they normally prefer to feed off the ground but he's given in and happily eats from the hanging feeders now

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"Always do, food for birds here 365 days a year and water especially if it's a hard frost "

Should only feed in winter when food sparse, they get lazy in summer and don't pesue natural pests in the garden.

School boy error

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"In Malta they just shoot them.. "

In Malta they have a "if it flies it dies" mentality.

over a year ago

"Always do, food for birds here 365 days a year and water especially if it's a hard frost

Should only feed in winter when food sparse, they get lazy in summer and don't pesue natural pests in the garden.

School boy error "

That used to be the advice but now it's recommended to feed all year round

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"Aren't you only supposed to feed them when the weather gets really bad?"

Educated and sexy

over a year ago

Ahem .....

By *eedsmale36Man
over a year ago

Leeds

"Always do, food for birds here 365 days a year and water especially if it's a hard frost

School boy error

That used to be the advice but now it's recommended to feed all year round"

Maybe in Newcastle when it's still frosty in July

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"I'd love to,but I found a dead little bird outside my back door this morning so I don't want to encourage then

Oh heavens it was a cold night last night. So some fat balls will help them make it through the winter "

Yes,but our cat unfortunately won't!

By *ildbillkidMan
over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

Every year the Canadian geese fly down for the winter, they get excited by the stale bread and crackers

Post new Message to Thread