Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you put off...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

By topics with loads of replies? I always feel like I'm late to the party if there's already loads of replies, and that no one will care what the 96th commenter says.

And it takes time to read all the replies and make sure you don't just repeat what others have said. I often find myself not bothering with threads that have over 30 replies, possibly for similar reasons that I often won't message a profile with stunning pictures - I just assume my voice will be drowned out by the others. Like having personal messages go unread or not replied to, having posts on the forum go ignored can sometimes be a bit disheartening.

Does anyone else get like this, or am I just a strange fish?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Agreed, but it doesn't stop me.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

you aren't a strange fish

I quite often don't respond to long posts if I haven't been following them from the start.

I think if you like a profile you should message it what's the worst that could happen?

By *exysuzi and Mr.SCouple
over a year ago

CONISTON .Stoke Suburbia. Staffs. BARMOUTH. The Lakes (Monthly)

My aim on really long threads is to be the last to comment. I have done this quite a few times and it always makes me chuckle. xxxxx Suzi

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I like a busy and full thread. I'll post if I have something I want to say, especially if I haven't read through the posts. Sometimes, I'll just add a thumb if someone makes the point I wanted to make or add to their comments.

If I get ignored then that's ok.

OP, will you feel disheartened if you only get a few replies to this thread? People might be wary in case they push it past 30.

By *a Fee VerteWoman
over a year ago

Limbo

I must be strange too (well, I know I am) because although I read long threads I am sometimes deterred from replying when I can see it might be about to be automatically closed and no-one would read it anyway.

It's annoying 'cos I don't usually have time to reply in depth to anything during the day yet I often see threads I'd like to contribute to then .... but such is the nature of forums ...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'm the last to comment

over a year ago

"By topics with loads of replies? I always feel like I'm late to the party if there's already loads of replies, and that no one will care what the 96th commenter says.

And it takes time to read all the replies and make sure you don't just repeat what others have said. I often find myself not bothering with threads that have over 30 replies, possibly for similar reasons that I often won't message a profile with stunning pictures - I just assume my voice will be drowned out by the others. Like having personal messages go unread or not replied to, having posts on the forum go ignored can sometimes be a bit disheartening.

Does anyone else get like this, or am I just a strange fish?"

Yes! That's exactly how I feel.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Sometimes I just read the main post and then comment with my view, other times I read all the comments. It really depends on the topic. If I don't want to think about other opinions before I comment I skip to the end then go back and read them to see if something makes me reconsider my view.

over a year ago

"By topics with loads of replies? I always feel like I'm late to the party if there's already loads of replies, and that no one will care what the 96th commenter says.

Does anyone else get like this, or am I just a strange fish?"

I'm almost always ignored. It's a lovely surprise when I'm not

over a year ago

I know how you feel, and I often worry when I'm running/posting my own thread as I like to acknowledge any reply so people don't feel missed/not read etc (and to be honest *everyone's* contribution I find of interest) but it means it fills up quickly which could put off others. But, I've concluded that I want to acknowledge comments and interact with those posting on a thread I've put up, and if that's not alright with others I'm sure they'll give my threads a miss and likewise I won't take that approach on orher's threads so it all evens out. Swings and roundabouts.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Does anyone else get like this, or am I just a strange fish?"

I vote for strange fish

over a year ago

"I'm the last to comment "

You kill threads too?

over a year ago

If it's a controversial thread, I tend to read it all. A basic thread, I just skip to the bottom. I'm not really bothered if my comment gets ignored, I tend to leave the thread as soon as I have commented anyway, and hunt for the next one to stick my two pence in, on.. There are the odd few that keep me on a thread, if it's particularly juicy But they are far and few between

over a year ago

I doesn't bother me most threads give me a giggle when reading them

over a year ago

"I'm the last to comment

You kill threads too? "

Yeah I'm that guy who takes it too far

over a year ago

It only bugs me when I write a massive thoughtful reply suffering cramp in both thumbs, only for the thread to close before I press post...

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

This thread's already been going on too long for me to control it.

*huffs*

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"By topics with loads of replies? I always feel like I'm late to the party if there's already loads of replies, and that no one will care what the 96th commenter says."

Often I'll come to a thread because someone interesting has posted, and I'll speed read up from the bottom. If the thread title has attracted me, I'll read from the top down, but if I'm in a rush I'll often just answer the OP without reading much else.

"...having posts on the forum go ignored can sometimes be a bit disheartening.

"

The greatest trick is to not let yourself believe this. This is how the 'clique-mentality' sets in. Sometimes I'll post, and if someone else posts immediately afterwards, or if I've mistimed it and I post in the middle of two people arguing, I accept my post may get missed. When I first started posting I also sometimes took it personally, but it's not long before you realise that the vast majority of posts don't get quoted, and once you realise that those you always considered 'forum-famous' have the same worries, you learn that we're all very similar really.

So just continue to post on the threads that interest you, and enjoy the fun

Mr ddc

over a year ago

Can I reply to yours ?

over a year ago

Sometimes but not always ....i sometimes read the thread (like i have done now) and think do i need to add anything ..start putting something then change my mind ..in this instance i havent ..thought i would post ..even though i have forgotten what its about

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks for all the replies folks! I won't quote posts individually, as that would mean about 10 posts in a row from me, which is another thing I imagine is off putting to others! It's not all about me!

I think part of it is feeling ignored when you're not being quoted or acknowledged in the forums, and you're right Mr DDC about "clique mentality", as you often see the same faces (or bums/torsos etc) interacting with each other. But you're right, it's best to realise that not everyone gets quoted or acknowledged, so I'm not the only one!

I guess as long as people just post from the heart and ignore the temptation to troll for a response, sooner or later you're going to connect with people.

As for the chat rooms though, don't get me started! That is one impenetrable fortress which I will never conquer... look away for a minute and you've missed 5 conversations!!

By *ureTemptationWoman
over a year ago

Off the grid

Why does this feel like those posts that ask if you're put off meetings someone with a lot of veris?

I feel like I want to answer by saying each to their own, but don't criticise a thread for wanting to have fun.

over a year ago

I just comment without reading all the replies.

Post new Message to Thread