Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Musical genius

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Did anyone see the documentary about Freddie Mercury last night?

Your thoughts please.

I miss this genus of a man and I wonder what he would be doing now and what sort of music he would be creating.

Such a talent.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Too me musical genius means Mozart....

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Would still be creating music to inspire the world and leave his mark as a legend.

One of the all time greats for me. Musical genius and showman

over a year ago

He was far from a musical genius. He didn't create anything new. He could just sing a bit, play piano and strut around a stage.

Queen, to me, are one of the most overrated bands in the history of music. They were mediocre performers on stage and boring in the studio.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Maybe I couldnt find another word to describe him. But youre right. Still an amazing musician.

over a year ago

Cant beleave its been 25 years since he died where as it gone

over a year ago

I watched the documentary, I thought it was interesting and the guy who played him during the dramatic scenes was really well cast.

My mum was a massive Queen fan in the 70s and they were just one of many bands which I grew up with.

over a year ago

"He was far from a musical genius. He didn't create anything new. He could just sing a bit, play piano and strut around a stage.

Queen, to me, are one of the most overrated bands in the history of music. They were mediocre performers on stage and boring in the studio."

MrWho! FFS you do talk rubbish sometimes.....

Nell

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Too me musical genius means Mozart.... "

Correct.

Albert Einstein said that 'as an artist, or a musician, Mozart was not a man of this world'.

over a year ago

"He was far from a musical genius. He didn't create anything new. He could just sing a bit, play piano and strut around a stage.

Queen, to me, are one of the most overrated bands in the history of music. They were mediocre performers on stage and boring in the studio."

Bet you like Coldplay?

By *eliz NelsonMan
over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

"Too me musical genius means Mozart....

Correct.

Albert Einstein said that 'as an artist, or a musician, Mozart was not a man of this world'.

"

Yep! And that creativity not intelligence was the mark of genius...

Handel also created some sublime music

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Ha, twat Last time I get you gig tickets!

They were great on stage, apart from that one shitty night at Wembley Stadium in 1986 (one of the few gigs I've ever walked out of!)

They were hit and miss on record from the late 70's onwards, I don't think I liked a complete album of theirs after The Game.

Actually, I've just fundamentally agreed with you, haven't I?

over a year ago

Queen, to me, are one of the most overrated bands in the history of music. They were mediocre performers on stage and boring in the studio.

Bet you like Coldplay?"

Nope but they're only just worse than Queen.

Queen were bland. It was all just about Freddy prancing around a stage pretending to be an opera singer. They did nothing exciting, new or innovative. They were an average band with a decent singer.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Bet you like Coldplay?"

I bet you he doesn't!

over a year ago

Ha, twat Last time I get you gig tickets!

They were great on stage, apart from that one shitty night at Wembley Stadium in 1986 (one of the few gigs I've ever walked out of!)

They were hit and miss on record from the late 70's onwards, I don't think I liked a complete album of theirs after The Game.

Actually, I've just fundamentally agreed with you, haven't I? "

You have indeed. You simply cannot argue my logic...

over a year ago

Now if we wish to talk about musical genius let's talk about Les Paul. Without him the way we listen to music today would be totally different.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

You see, Brian May's a good guitarist but he's a complete auteur; be can only be good within the confines of Queen, when he tries to play any other style of music, he's utter shite!

Hearing him try to play the blues with Paul Rodgers was fucking painful (but then do was listening to PR try to sing Queen tunes!)

over a year ago

"You see, Brian May's a good guitarist but he's a complete auteur; be can only be good within the confines of Queen, when he tries to play any other style of music, he's utter shite!

Hearing him try to play the blues with Paul Rodgers was fucking painful (but then do was listening to PR try to sing Queen tunes!)"

The only decent thing May did outside of Queen was the Starfleet Project and you and I both know why that is....

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"You see, Brian May's a good guitarist but he's a complete auteur; be can only be good within the confines of Queen, when he tries to play any other style of music, he's utter shite!

Hearing him try to play the blues with Paul Rodgers was fucking painful (but then do was listening to PR try to sing Queen tunes!)

The only decent thing May did outside of Queen was the Starfleet Project and you and I both know why that is...."

And even that was fairly shite!

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

At least if Freddie was still alive, it would have stopped May and Taylor from turning Queen into a complete dignity-free zone, that's still trying to scrape the very bottom of the barrel.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"Now if we wish to talk about musical genius let's talk about Les Paul. Without him the way we listen to music today would be totally different."

Musical genius or engineering/design genius?

over a year ago

"Now if we wish to talk about musical genius let's talk about Les Paul. Without him the way we listen to music today would be totally different.

Musical genius or engineering/design genius? "

Both really. He and Mary Ford created some amazing music together partly because he could really play and partly because of his engineering skills.

over a year ago

The only decent thing May did outside of Queen was the Starfleet Project and you and I both know why that is....

And even that was fairly shite!"

That Dutch fellow who's name escapes me played a 5 string guitar on most of it because he broke one right at the start. He still played all over May.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"Now if we wish to talk about musical genius let's talk about Les Paul. Without him the way we listen to music today would be totally different.

Both really. He and Mary Ford created some amazing music together partly because he could really play and partly because of his engineering skills.

"

Bored the crap out of me, quasi-country pap!

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

And even that was fairly shite!

That Dutch fellow who's name escapes me played a 5 string guitar on most of it because he broke one right at the start. He still played all over May."

And it was still shit!

over a year ago

Bored the crap out of me, quasi-country pap! "

Some of it was indeed poop but for the time it was years ahead and there's no denying his impact to this very day.

over a year ago

For me Prince was a total legend x

over a year ago

What about Tiesto?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Queen were one of those rare bands who just needed to walk on stage and start playing to have their audience in the palm of their hands.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Bored the crap out of me, quasi-country pap!

Some of it was indeed poop but for the time it was years ahead and there's no denying his impact to this very day."

I wasn't denying his impact, I just don't feel that it was his own musical ability that contributed to that impact.

I mean, Floyd Rose had an impact but he had a crap moustache and his albums were crap. Bizarrely, Freddie had a crap moustache too and both of their bands started with the letter Q

Post new Message to Thread