Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Overweight or Obese !!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have just been listening to a report that figures are expected to hit close to 70% of people in the UK who are either overweight or Obese!

That's crazy isn't it? I remember at school being one of about 3 kids in my year who were overweight and now it's the thin kids who are the minority!!

Something needs to be done as this shit is getting out of control

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I have just been listening to a report that figures are expected to hit close to 70% of people in the UK who are either overweight or Obese!

That's crazy isn't it? I remember at school being one of about 3 kids in my year who were overweight and now it's the thin kids who are the minority!!

"

From a purely health viewpoint it needs addressing. Acceptance and ridicule is a different matter but being obese as a child in my opinion is close to neglect.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat"

Damn right. I think that body shaming is terrible but so is the way people ignore the health side of being overweight. It's a tight rope. Say the kids overweight you're shaming him, don't tell him and you're part of the problem

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have just been listening to a report that figures are expected to hit close to 70% of people in the UK who are either overweight or Obese!

From a purely health viewpoint it needs addressing. Acceptance and ridicule is a different matter but being obese as a child in my opinion is close to neglect. "

Totally with you on this one

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

As an overweight person...I've struggled with my weight...I developed an eating disorder and went to under 8 stone...I am aware of the health risks however I'm also very active walking 6 miles a day...I don't have any health issues bar IBS however I do watch what I eat and don't live off crisps and cakes but I'm a picker...I've lost weight recently...what I do detest is body shaming and it's everywhere in society and the media...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fully agree and it's actually being encouraged now. Women now also think that they arent overweight as a size 16, because that's the UK average.

This whole "big is beautiful" movement isn't helping matters.

I've lived in Italy and Montenegro and in both of those countries, overweight people are still a small minority. Over here, it's the norm and any word about it gets you labelled an ignorant, body shaming bully.

It is very hard to eat "British" and stay healthy, they have far healthier diet on the continent and don't drink as much, but a commitment to a balanced diet with exercise and the mainstream media ceasing to celebrate obesity and we could see a change in this country.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Part of it is the surprising amount of people that can't cook these days so they live off ready meals and feed their children crap or frozen warm up food,

another part is what's classed as 'clinically' overweight, my ex was classed as overweight and he's always been slim, they class it because he's 6'2 and height to weight ratios don't always work,

That's just my 2p tho

Reply privately

over a year ago

The solutions are fairly simple unless I'm getting it wrong. Make unhealthy foods more expensive and make raw ingredients/good foods cheaper. Make it attractive to eat well.

I'm overweight and find it difficult to eat well on a tight budget. Good quality fresh meat is insanely expensive. Fresh vegetables can be expensive unless you buy in significant bulk.

If a Big Mac meal cost £10 instead of 3............

Of course this isn't the only solution. Changing of attitudes towards food, exercise, habits are all part of the deal.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What gets me are the parents that claim it's cheaper to feed their children all the crap, which of course is completely untrue. It's easy to shop cheap and still allow the children to have a well balanced diet.

Another argument they make is that they don't have time to prepare dinners, so just whack something like chicken nuggets and chips on a plate. It's quite easy to prep in advance, even making your own chicken nuggets are easy; all of which can be bagged/contained and placed in the freezer for another day.

Many people tend to avoid value foods as well as they believe it's of poorer quality, when in fact a lot of value food is cheaper as it doesn't have all the added sugar and crap in that is not good for a child, or any other person for that matter.

I think a lot of it is down to laziness, most people have access to the internet now, so it's easy to learn how to plan meals and also a lot of schools offer support or classes to go to which can help. The school my children go to offered this, but not enough parents signed up so the course didn't go ahead.

The other thing is many children lack exercise, as technology is taking over their lives and parents are allowing it, instead of going out with friends it's now about sitting in on some form of gadget and mainly getting exercise when at school.

It's a shame as the child ends up being bullied for something that isn't their fault, I always tell my children that it isn't the child's fault as it's not them in control of their life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat

Damn right. I think that body shaming is terrible but so is the way people ignore the health side of being overweight. It's a tight rope. Say the kids overweight you're shaming him, don't tell him and you're part of the problem "

That is right and yeah, it is alwais good to include some kind of exercise too, as it is good for the heart.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The solutions are fairly simple unless I'm getting it wrong. Make unhealthy foods more expensive and make raw ingredients/good foods cheaper. Make it attractive to eat well.

I'm overweight and find it difficult to eat well on a tight budget. Good quality fresh meat is insanely expensive. Fresh vegetables can be expensive unless you buy in significant bulk.

Of course this isn't the only solution. Changing of attitudes towards food, exercise, habits are all part of the deal. "

I always find it hard to swallow when people say it's expensive to eat healthy, get yourself down to Aldi fresh fruit and veg is ridiculously cheap as is some of their meats

Reply privately

over a year ago

It starts with people wanting to help themselves first.

Until they look in the mirror and have that eureka moment and want to change no amount of telling someone too will help.

But you are what you eat that you can't hide from.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"You are what you eat

Protein shakes and Channel 5?

Hmmm..."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It starts with people wanting to help themselves first.

Until they look in the mirror and have that eureka moment and want to change no amount of telling someone too will help.

But you are what you eat that you can't hide from."

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"The solutions are fairly simple unless I'm getting it wrong. Make unhealthy foods more expensive and make raw ingredients/good foods cheaper. Make it attractive to eat well.

Of course this isn't the only solution. Changing of attitudes towards food, exercise, habits are all part of the deal.

I always find it hard to swallow when people say it's expensive to eat healthy, get yourself down to Aldi fresh fruit and veg is ridiculously cheap as is some of their meats "

I do agree with you on that one in terms of it's all about shopping about

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat

Protein shakes and Channel 5?

Hmmm..."

I see what you did there, good one lol.

Reply privately

By *eady and Willing 9Man
over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

From a purely health viewpoint it needs addressing. Acceptance and ridicule is a different matter but being obese as a child in my opinion is close to neglect. "

It's all to do with kids playing on devices and computers and not getting out enough. The blame is solely at the feet of these weak parents. I teach sports to kids and the amount that are seriously out of breath after 5 minutes of running is disgraceful!. Parents should be fined or something. I have kids and I'd never allow my child to become overweight or obese

Reply privately

over a year ago

From a purely health viewpoint it needs addressing. Acceptance and ridicule is a different matter but being obese as a child in my opinion is close to neglect.

It's all to do with kids playing on devices and computers and not getting out enough. The blame is solely at the feet of these weak parents. I teach sports to kids and the amount that are seriously out of breath after 5 minutes of running is disgraceful!. Parents should be fined or something. I have kids and I'd never allow my child to become overweight or obese "

Yeah I agree, kids now are on iPads, iPhones or watching tv! You never see them out playing on bikes or kicking a ball around

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

It's all to do with kids playing on devices and computers and not getting out enough. The blame is solely at the feet of these weak parents. I teach sports to kids and the amount that are seriously out of breath after 5 minutes of running is disgraceful!. Parents should be fined or something. I have kids and I'd never allow my child to become overweight or obese "

I was an overweight kid and it wasn't my parents fault as I wasn't allowed any chocolate or anything my parents fed us on healthy homemade stuff the trouble was I wanted the good stuff so used to secret eat...I don't blame my parents I blame myself...sometimes it's not always the parents to blame

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all to do with kids playing on devices and computers and not getting out enough. The blame is solely at the feet of these weak parents. I teach sports to kids and the amount that are seriously out of breath after 5 minutes of running is disgraceful!. Parents should be fined or something. I have kids and I'd never allow my child to become overweight or obese

Yeah I agree, kids now are on iPads, iPhones or watching tv! You never see them out playing on bikes or kicking a ball around "

You do on my street as i kick them out on to it although yesterday I was criticised for it, saying I shouldn't be doing that because of pedophiles yeah because more have just appeared compared to when i was a child, oh wait nope that's the media just making you think that. It's only the eldest that goes out, he's street wise, like all children should be. My youngest go out the back and play football, racing games or on the trampoline. I took my kids to the park last winter and my brother asked me what I was doing as it was cold my response was, kids don't need to hibernate during the winter, it's the reason they have coats, scarves, gloves and hats on

Reply privately

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

This is very subjective, you've only gotta exceed that magical bmi figure and you are classed as overweight.

I'm 13st 2lb and a bmi of 24, it doesn't take much for me to go over 25, just a few pounds, at which point i become overweight..

Overall our general lifestyle is to blame for this issue,

Diet plays a big part in this and as a whole, it does need to be tackled, however I do sometimes feel the statistics use a very black or white approach simply as a scare tactic.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Oh dear.

Not in the mood for a fat bashing thread today.

*backs out*

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I also hate body shaming being it either fat shaming or muscle shaming.

I'm classed as overweight. "

That's ridiculous. You have a gorgeous body!

Reply privately

over a year ago

In some cases it is neglect. Though not necessarily due to malice

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat"

I must be a cunt then

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

I was an overweight kid and it wasn't my parents fault as I wasn't allowed any chocolate or anything my parents fed us on healthy homemade stuff the trouble was I wanted the good stuff so used to secret eat...I don't blame my parents I blame myself...sometimes it's not always the parents to blame "

Well that's why you secretly ate..you were told no so you did the opposite. Maybe if your parents allowed you to eat within moderation then there would've been no reason to eat secretly?..so it still was kinda your parents fault. That's my opinion anyway..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat"

I eat a lot of cunt

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat

I must be a cunt then "

beat me to it

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

I was an overweight kid and it wasn't my parents fault as I wasn't allowed any chocolate or anything my parents fed us on healthy homemade stuff the trouble was I wanted the good stuff so used to secret eat...I don't blame my parents I blame myself...sometimes it's not always the parents to blame

Well that's why you secretly ate..you were told no so you did the opposite. Maybe if your parents allowed you to eat within moderation then there would've been no reason to eat secretly?..so it still was kinda your parents fault. That's my opinion anyway.. "

I wouldn't say it was....we did have treats once in a while I was just a greedy cunt

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's as much a mental thing as a "you are what you eat" thing.

Would you tell an anorexic person to just eat?

I can lose weight quite easily BUT only when my head is in the right place.

Reply privately

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Oh dear.

*backs out*"

It's fine, it's a substitute for conversation. I get that. We can converse about how dull people who go to the gym are, with nowt to look forward to but another hundred repetitive motions that aren't as much fun as sex...

Oh, hang on a mo' - they do have their own entropy to look forwards to.

"Gravity always wins."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"You are what you eat"

Not true!!!. Anybody who works out,or stays fit knows you can eat what you like if you exercise enough. Take in 2000 calories and only burn off no calories means you stay the same..burn more off and you loose weight..consume more calories than you burn..you gain weight. It's that simple. But genetics have a huge roll to play in it though

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

Well that's why you secretly ate..you were told no so you did the opposite. Maybe if your parents allowed you to eat within moderation then there would've been no reason to eat secretly?..so it still was kinda your parents fault. That's my opinion anyway..

I wouldn't say it was....we did have treats once in a while I was just a greedy cunt "

I blame you then lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Oh dear.

*backs out*"

Far from bashing..it's educating some

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

I wouldn't say it was....we did have treats once in a while I was just a greedy cunt "

It's nice to see someone who doesn't try and turn the thread around and start having a go when folks are just voicing an opinion. You go girl

Reply privately

over a year ago

Being overweight isn't solely down to what you eat, many new studies are pointing to genetics to being a major cause as well. Now I'm not saying it's the sole cause but how many of us know someone that can stuff their face and not put on a single pound?

Personally I'm the other way, if I eat just a couple of bad meals In a day I can easily put on 2-3lb so I have to eat clean to maintain or ultra clean to lose even a pound a week.

That being said it's not difficult to eat clean even on a modest budget but you have to be motivated and have plenty of will power, both of which seem to be lacking in modern society.

As for kids these days, mine spent the vast majority of spring, summer and autumn out and about with friends and only now it's cold and dark after school are they more interested in watching tv or playing on their iPads but honestly, who can blame them?

Reply privately

By *-angel-XWoman
over a year ago

hell

I'm overweight

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I'm overweight "

So am I according to a bmi indicator.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I'm overweight "

But you're far from overweight. Some lovely curves going on hun

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

Far from bashing..it's educating some "

No, it isn't.

In fact, a lot of the time the smug fat haters actually have no clue what the fatties they so detest actually need.

People need support and empowerment to make positive changes in their lives, they need to start from a positive place, feeling they can be successful. What they don't need is criticism, hating and bullying.

These threads are not helpful. If they were, obesity would be decreasing rather than increasing.

If you actually care about the crisis why don't you put away the attitude that you know it all and get some education yourself about what would actually help?

Reply privately

By *-angel-XWoman
over a year ago

hell

"I'm overweight

But you're far from overweight. Some lovely curves going on hun "

Thanks , but I'm about two stone over weight lol

Reply privately

By *iver2015Woman
over a year ago

middlesbrough

"Fully agree and it's actually being encouraged now. Women now also think that they arent overweight as a size 16, because that's the UK average.

I've lived in Italy and Montenegro and in both of those countries, overweight people are still a small minority. Over here, it's the norm and any word about it gets you labelled an ignorant, body shaming bully.

It is very hard to eat "British" and stay healthy, they have far healthier diet on the continent and don't drink as much, but a commitment to a balanced diet with exercise and the mainstream media ceasing to celebrate obesity and we could see a change in this country. "

But some size 16 women aren't overweight. There are lots of factors involved. I notice when you talk about weight you always reference women. What about men? Is it ok for a man to be overweight? What people don't need is a lecture. You cannot judge a persons health on whether or not they're over a size 16. The media having the occasional crack down on body shaming is a good thing. So much of it is psychological. You feel inedequate, like you're worthless and disgusting so you punish yourself with food. Having someone accept you as you are builds self worth which enables a more positive outlook and hopefully a healthier lifestyle both physically and psychologically.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It starts with people wanting to help themselves first.

But you are what you eat that you can't hide from."

Ahh can I eat you and have your body? Shwing shwing, you are very nice to look at!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

In fact, a lot of the time the smug fat haters actually have no clue what the fatties they so detest actually need.

People need support and empowerment to make positive changes in their lives, they need to start from a positive place, feeling they can be successful. What they don't need is criticism, hating and bullying.

These threads are not helpful. If they were, obesity would be decreasing rather than increasing.

If you actually care about the crisis why don't you put away the attitude that you know it all and get some education yourself about what would actually help?"

I wouldn't class those concerned as smug fat haters. I have no interest in overweight adults, at the end of the day it's their life and their choice how they live it. My concern are the children, who have limited choice over what they're fed and what they are encouraged to do, in regards to exercise or sitting in.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

It's fine, it's a substitute for conversation. I get that. We can converse about how dull people who go to the gym are, with nowt to look forward to but another hundred repetitive motions that aren't as much fun as sex...

Oh, hang on a mo' - they do have their own entropy to look forwards to.

"Gravity always wins."

"

And how they think they know it all about everyone else.

It's like a non-smoker telling a smoker how to give up.

Even if they used to smoke and quit, their situation and what worked for them might be totally different to anyone else's situation and needs.

I'd like to see, rather than lecturing and telling fatties what we should be doing, those people who purportedly care so very much about our health, asking us about the barriers we have to losing weight and what sort of support we need AND listening without just dismissing what's said.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

If you actually care about the crisis why don't you put away the attitude that you know it all and get some education yourself about what would actually help?"

Yes okay..I know nothing about

Even though I teach physical activity and healthy eating. Always one. Wonders

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

If you actually care about the crisis why don't you put away the attitude that you know it all and get some education yourself about what would actually help?

I wouldn't class those concerned as smug fat haters. I have no interest in overweight adults, at the end of the day it's their life and their choice how they live it. My concern are the children, who have limited choice over what they're fed and what they are encouraged to do, in regards to exercise or sitting in. "

Nail and head! Boom!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I'm overweight

Thanks , but I'm about two stone over weight lol "

Says who..the doctor?

Reply privately

over a year ago

For me its simple. For the non body building types, and of course pregnant women, its...

Your height in centimeters, minus 100 should be your weight in kilograms, give or take a couple either way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I also hate body shaming being it either fat shaming or muscle shaming.

I'm classed as overweight.

That's ridiculous. You have a gorgeous body! "

Aww thank you. I'm obviously too short for the weight that I am. I go to the gym regularly training weights and have a personal trainer. I am what and who I am, I have accepted that I am very going to be skinny nor do I want to be.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

I wouldn't class those concerned as smug fat haters. I have no interest in overweight adults, at the end of the day it's their life and their choice how they live it. My concern are the children, who have limited choice over what they're fed and what they are encouraged to do, in regards to exercise or sitting in. "

Yes, the increase in obesity in children is very concerning but this thread wasn't just focusing on the problem in children.

Nor was it actually seeking to understand the issues involved and discuss what could be done. Rather it's just another judgemental thread to lecture fatties and tell us what to do.

I suspect those feeling like they have the moral ground from which to lecture actually have much real understanding of the causes of the problems.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm obese according to my doctor. Gym 5 times a week plenty of cardio.

If I stop training then yes I would be obese after time the same as anyone else who trains

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

. "

I disagree with this. We changed how we eat this time last year and eat more fresh veg/ fruit and meat now and my shopping bill is actually cheaper now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I enjoy pointing at fat people and laughing. Also, I like to follow them around playing a tuba.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

But some size 16 women aren't overweight. There are lots of factors involved. I notice when you talk about weight you always reference women. What about men? Is it ok for a man to be overweight? What people don't need is a lecture. You cannot judge a persons health on whether or not they're over a size 16. The media having the occasional crack down on body shaming is a good thing. So much of it is psychological. You feel inedequate, like you're worthless and disgusting so you punish yourself with food. Having someone accept you as you are builds self worth which enables a more positive outlook and hopefully a healthier lifestyle both physically and psychologically. "

No, I think exactly the same applies to overweight men, but overweight men arent calling themselves BBM's, aren't complaining about only athletic men being shown on billboards, aren't coming out with quotes such as "real women like curves, only dogs like bones" and women aren't continually being peppered with images of Johnny Vegas and Peter Kay by the media, with articles on how hunky and gorgeous they are, so essentially, it's more of a women's issue because women have made it so.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

I wouldn't class those concerned as smug fat haters. I have no interest in overweight adults, at the end of the day it's their life and their choice how they live it. My concern are the children, who have limited choice over what they're fed and what they are encouraged to do, in regards to exercise or sitting in.

Nail and head! Boom!!!"

Double boom

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I disagree with this. We changed how we eat this time last year and eat more fresh veg/ fruit and meat now and my shopping bill is actually cheaper now."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

Yes, the increase in obesity in children is very concerning but this thread wasn't just focusing on the problem in children.

Nor was it actually seeking to understand the issues involved and discuss what could be done. Rather it's just another judgemental thread to lecture fatties and tell us what to do.

I suspect those feeling like they have the moral ground from which to lecture actually have much real understanding of the causes of the problems."

*Starts threads about how unattractive she finds beards

*PM's people, calling them ugly

*Has a hissy fit when people criticise overweight people

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 14:48:28]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Excellent, what dya have in mind?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

But some size 16 women aren't overweight. There are lots of factors involved. I notice when you talk about weight you always reference women. What about men? Is it ok for a man to be overweight? What people don't need is a lecture. You cannot judge a persons health on whether or not they're over a size 16. The media having the occasional crack down on body shaming is a good thing. So much of it is psychological. You feel inedequate, like you're worthless and disgusting so you punish yourself with food. Having someone accept you as you are builds self worth which enables a more positive outlook and hopefully a healthier lifestyle both physically and psychologically.

No, I think exactly the same applies to overweight men, but overweight men arent calling themselves BBM's, aren't complaining about only athletic men being shown on billboards, aren't coming out with quotes such as "real women like curves, only dogs like bones" and women aren't continually being peppered with images of Johnny Vegas and Peter Kay by the media, with articles on how hunky and gorgeous they are, so essentially, it's more of a women's issue because women have made it so.

"

Bullshit.

It's less of a man's issue because society in general doesn't judge men to the same extent on how they look.

When a multiple Olympic medal winner is criticised in the international media for her hairstyle, rather than applauded for her achievements, something is fucking wrong. And that's just one example.

That shit doesn't happen to men.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I always get told I'm overweight by the doc but that's according to my bmi and not how I look. 5'10" and 15 stone puts me way over the "normal" bmi. I had some recent blood test results back today and all my markers are well within the fit and healthy range.

I think there are other, more important health markers which indicate how healthy we are but it's easier to point out how overweight someone is.

Not for one minute condoning not exercising and eating crap food etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I'm obese according to my doctor. Gym 5 times a week plenty of cardio.

If I stop training then yes I would be obese after time the same as anyone else who trains "

Why would I be obese of I didn't train?..when.i stop training I don't put on weight so I'm lost in regards to your post?

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 14:48:28]"

I had but not challenging ill-informed idiocy never has been my thing.

Staying away would be better for my health AND my ability to successfully lose weight but crap like this can't be allowed to go unchecked.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

Nail and head! Boom!!!

Double boom "

What's a trebble boom!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I suspect those feeling like they have the moral ground from which to lecture actually have much real understanding of the causes of the problems."

When I first commented on the thread I thought it was about child obesity, which is why my entire original comment is based on children. It wasn't until you posted that I double checked and saw it was about all those that are overweight/obese.

Your comparison to smoking is right, I believe. I am always told to quit smoking, I know it's bad for my health but I carry on. I know I won't smoke forever, it's just waiting for that day to come where the willpower is there.

My closet friend is seriously overweight and she knows it, she has joined slimming world but finds it difficult to exercise etc, mainly due to the fact she has 2 young children, but running after them is tiring. I do believe that she will stick at it and will eventually have the willpower to stick at it, as long as those around her support her. When I went round, she suggested we got a take away, but I knew that would impact on her achievement, so I said no and offered to cook instead. IF you allow someone trying to fail, then you are of no help to them, in my opinion anyway.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I always get told I'm overweight by the doc but that's according to my bmi and not how I look. 5'10" and 15 stone puts me way over the "normal" bmi. I had some recent blood test results back today and all my markers are well within the fit and healthy range.

I think there are other, more important health markers which indicate how healthy we are but it's easier to point out how overweight someone is.

Not for one minute condoning not exercising and eating crap food etc."

Said it like a pro!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Bullshit.

It's less of a man's issue because society in general doesn't judge men to the same extent on how they look.

When a multiple Olympic medal winner is criticised in the international media for her hairstyle, rather than applauded for her achievements, something is fucking wrong. And that's just one example.

That shit doesn't happen to men."

Errrrmmm you said about 20 minutes ago you were backing out of the room?? Yet you're still here ranting, it's a forum and I thought the idea was to discuss things, it's quite simple really, if you don't lie what you're reading and it's winding you up then take s deep breath, leave the thread and find one that doesn't send your BP through the roof!

Oh and don't bother coming back at me as I assure you I won't be reading anymore comments that you make as I was having a lovely time reading opinions then you piped up!! #chill #dontstress #skipoffgentlyintothefreshlycutgrasswhistlingallthingsbrightandbeautiful

Reply privately

over a year ago

If I stop training then yes I would be obese after time the same as anyone else who trains

Why would I be obese of I didn't train?..when.i stop training I don't put on weight so I'm lost in regards to your post?"

It's all to do with metabolism. . I bulk and cut all the time

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

The thread was okay until someone started on the soap box rant..their still going lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I suspect those feeling like they have the moral ground from which to lecture actually have much real understanding of the causes of the problems.

When I first commented on the thread I thought it was about child obesity, which is why my entire original comment is based on children. It wasn't until you posted that I double checked and saw it was about all those that are overweight/obese.

Your comparison to smoking is right, I believe. I am always told to quit smoking, I know it's bad for my health but I carry on. I know I won't smoke forever, it's just waiting for that day to come where the willpower is there.

My closet friend is seriously overweight and she knows it, she has joined slimming world but finds it difficult to exercise etc, mainly due to the fact she has 2 young children, but running after them is tiring. I do believe that she will stick at it and will eventually have the willpower to stick at it, as long as those around her support her. When I went round, she suggested we got a take away, but I knew that would impact on her achievement, so I said no and offered to cook instead. IF you allow someone trying to fail, then you are of no help to them, in my opinion anyway."

"Closet friend" I need one of these in my life

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thread was okay until someone started on the soap box rant..their still going lol"

Just ignore them mate they will get bored

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

Why would I be obese of I didn't train?..when.i stop training I don't put on weight so I'm lost in regards to your post?

It's all to do with metabolism. . I bulk and cut all the time "

But I don't though..so you're different to me and that's another huge factor in this thread. We're all different and what works for one won't necessarily work for others

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"Closet friend" I need one of these in my life "

I can't control my laughing! Attempt at making a serious comment and end up putting an error like that! I may just phone her, to see if she can just pretend to be my closet friend instead

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

"

No, I didn't. Look back, I asked if the fashion is in decline. I said nothing negative about them at all. If that's what you read into it, that's on you

Also, I never pm'd anyone calling them ugly. If that was how you read it, again, not my problem. Also, if such a thing happens to be a direct response to an irrelevant post insulting someone, the recipient really has no grounds for crying about it.

No hissy fit, just fed up with the same old shit with clueless people, in the guise of caring deeply about our welfare, telling us what to do. Want people to lose weight? Try asking why people struggle and what would actually help. Otherwise it just looks like more bullying by the ill-informed and smug.

But thanks for playing.

You can go back to drawing on the wall with crayons now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"The thread was okay until someone started on the soap box rant..their still going lol

Just ignore them mate they will get bored "

But you just put an honest thought out there and now their trying to say we're having a go etc..I'm not I just know a bit about the subject. I don't know all but soon as i have an opinion..all hell breaks loose lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

You might want to add the word 'some' in there . I'm obese - and would never complain about billboards , hate that term

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thread was okay until someone started on the soap box rant..their still going lol

But you just put an honest thought out there and now their trying to say we're having a go etc..I'm not I just know a bit about the subject. I don't know all but soon as i have an opinion..all hell breaks loose lol"

Don't argue with a fool pal you will always lose

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a firm believer that most children get their food habits from their parents. Processed crap food is relatively new so go back a couple of generations and it just didn't exist. I prepare the majority of our meals from scratch and am teaching my kids to do the same. Sadly that didn't stop me eating too much of the wrong types of food and becoming overweight. It's something i battle with constantly. Sometimes just knowing what you should do and eat isn't enough. I don't know what the answer is but it is worrying the amount of people that think its Ok to be overweight.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But I don't though..so you're different to me and that's another huge factor in this thread. We're all different and what works for one won't necessarily work for others "

Very true. Maybe I should have said from my experience

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You are what you eat"

I am moussaka?!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I can't control my laughing! Attempt at making a serious comment and end up putting an error like that! I may just phone her, to see if she can just pretend to be my closet friend instead "

Just call her now and say these words "are you ready to come out?" Then hang up

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"The thread was okay until someone started on the soap box rant..their still going lol"

This thread was useless and would help nobody, and in fact might hamper them in what you claim you are trying to do.

Why not actually listen to the people in this situation and ask what is needed to change things, so you have the beginnings of a clue.

You body bullies that think you know it all are just jokes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

But I don't though..so you're different to me and that's another huge factor in this thread. We're all different and what works for one won't necessarily work for others

Very true. Maybe I should have said from my experience "

Ooooh seen lol. No that's fine. It's a valid point unlike another

Reply privately

By *-angel-XWoman
over a year ago

hell

"I'm overweight

Says who..the doctor?"

Nhs and myself

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"I always get told I'm overweight by the doc but that's according to my bmi and not how I look. 5'10" and 15 stone puts me way over the "normal" bmi. I had some recent blood test results back today and all my markers are well within the fit and healthy range.

Not for one minute condoning not exercising and eating crap food etc."

No shit.

But you never see "skinny fat" people being told how to improve their health on here, or shown the "concern" that obviously overweight people get.

I wonder why, when it's all about health...

Reply privately

By *andsonjohnMan
over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

"

Bullshit.

you are correct in all you say but I quick google search will show you young men are now beginning to have body issues to which is leading to al sorts of anxiety.

as a society we need to eat better exercise more but not for shallow reasons like how we look purely because of quality of life reasons especially when it comes to later in life health issues .

that's my opinion on the op original post but I'm not to impressed if I'm honest with a lot of what I've read in this post as it seems to me that a lot of gym bunnies are in here sprouting there swallow nonsense .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

This thread was useless and would help nobody, and in fact might hamper them in what you claim you are trying to do.

Why not actually listen to the people in this situation and ask what is needed to change things, so you have the beginnings of a clue.

You body bullies that think you know it all are just jokes."

I'm not a body builder duh!!!. I have very good genetics and always have..I played football everyday for at least 15-20 years so just go away. You think you know everything. I bet if i was larger but making the same points yuh wouldn't be saying what you're saying now..You're only saying it bcz of how I look body wise. That's pathetic really.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

No, I didn't. Look back, I asked if the fashion is in decline. I said nothing negative about them at all. If that's what you read into it, that's on you

Also, I never pm'd anyone calling them ugly. If that was how you read it, again, not my problem. Also, if such a thing happens to be a direct response to an irrelevant post insulting someone, the recipient really has no grounds for crying about it.

No hissy fit, just fed up with the same old shit with clueless people, in the guise of caring deeply about our welfare, telling us what to do. Want people to lose weight? Try asking why people struggle and what would actually help. Otherwise it just looks like more bullying by the ill-informed and smug.

But thanks for playing.

You can go back to drawing on the wall with crayons now."

Why are you so angry with life? Actually, I know why, you don't have to answer that...

Why do you think you have the right to express how you wish men would shave, yet get offended when someone suggests that losing weight could be an option for some?

It's a tad hypocritical, no?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

But thanks for playing.

Why are you so angry with life? Actually, I know why, you don't have to answer that...

Why do you think you have the right to express how you wish men would shave, yet get offended when someone suggests that losing weight could be an option for some?

It's a tad hypocritical, no? "

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"I'm overweight

Says who..the doctor?

Nhs and myself "

NHS lol..let's not go there with them ay haha. Oh okay well if you want to do something about then that's fine but if it's bcz people won't except you then they can do one

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 15:05:16]

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is a really tough subject... One that I've thought long and hard about due to working in healthcare.

Firstly, education plays a huge part. Many of us know why we're overweight, but some genuinely have no idea that what they're eating is very high in fat and or sugar. Even 'diet foods' are horrendous for hidden nasties, yet the food companies are allowed to peddle this to the masses as being "healthy".

Local authorities seem to give permission for takeaways to be on every high street, especially ones in poorer areas. I've lost count of the number of chicken shops and kebab houses in my area.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is a really tough subject... One that I've thought long and hard about due to working in healthcare.

Firstly, education plays a huge part. Many of us know why we're overweight, but some genuinely have no idea that what they're eating is very high in fat and or sugar. Even 'diet foods' are horrendous for hidden nasties, yet the food companies are allowed to peddle this to the masses as being "healthy".

Local authorities seem to give permission for takeaways to be on every high street, especially ones in poorer areas. I've lost count of the number of chicken shops and kebab houses in my area.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

I can't control my laughing! Attempt at making a serious comment and end up putting an error like that! I may just phone her, to see if she can just pretend to be my closet friend instead

Just call her now and say these words "are you ready to come out?" Then hang up "

Haha..that's funny

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

But you just put an honest thought out there and now their trying to say we're having a go etc..I'm not I just know a bit about the subject. I don't know all but soon as i have an opinion..all hell breaks loose lol"

You know what works for you.

You clearly have no idea that it might not work for everyone and you have no understanding of what others face.

You have no intention of asking or listening though, and no intention of actually doing anything to encourage change.

Your stuck in your own deluded belief that you know it all and that your ideas of overweight people, and why they are overweight, are gospel.

Typical fat hater trying to pretend it's all about our health.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Fully agree and it's actually being encouraged now. Women now also think that they arent overweight as a size 16, because that's the UK average.

It is very hard to eat "British" and stay healthy, they have far healthier diet on the continent and don't drink as much, but a commitment to a balanced diet with exercise and the mainstream media ceasing to celebrate obesity and we could see a change in this country. "

Please go and research the body confidence movement and come back when you're better informed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"This is a really tough subject... One that I've thought long and hard about due to working in healthcare.

Local authorities seem to give permission for takeaways to be on every high street, especially ones in poorer areas. I've lost count of the number of chicken shops and kebab houses in my area. "

Here here!..mow that's a good response instead of just having a go at people for voicing an opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

Someone's TRIGGERED

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My closet friend is seriously overweight and she knows it, she has joined slimming world but finds it difficult to exercise etc, mainly due to the fact she has 2 young children, but running after them is tiring. I do believe that she will stick at it and will eventually have the willpower to stick at it, as long as those around her support her. When I went round, she suggested we got a take away, but I knew that would impact on her achievement, so I said no and offered to cook instead. IF you allow someone trying to fail, then you are of no help to them, in my opinion anyway."

I lost 6st on slimming world without doing much in the way of exercise, in fact they don't make any allowances in your syn's for exercise. That is one reason why I calorie count these days as I know if I do a big swim or ride (bike that is) I can eat a little more without doing any damage.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Oh dear.

*backs out*

No, it isn't.

But thanks for playing.

It's a tad hypocritical, no? "

Show me where I said I wish men would shave?

Putting words into my mouth to support your arguments, because you can't do it without making stuff up, is pretty pathetic. Still, par for the course from you. I've never seen you make a coherent argument yet so why would you change now?

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Try asking why people struggle and what would actually help. Otherwise it just looks like more bullying by the ill-informed and smug.

."

It isn't bullying to ask a question that is in the news even if you don't like the subject.

As others have said, if it winds you up so much do as the forum summary asks and not post for a while or even avoid the thread altogether

Reply privately

over a year ago

Nobody is body bullying or fat shaming . Some people need to stop pulling that crap out of the bag every time the subject comes up .

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Forum Rules

In summary: If you treat other people with respect, you can't go far wrong. Don't forget that the forums are meant to be fun, if you find yourself fuming and writing long angry messages you're probably best taking a break from it.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Someone's TRIGGERED"

Yeah, you

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

But you just put an honest thought out there and now their trying to say we're having a go etc..I'm not I just know a bit about the subject. I don't know all but soon as i have an opinion..all hell breaks loose lol

You clearly have no idea that it might not work for everyone and you have no understanding of what others face.

You have no intention of asking or listening though, and no intention of actually doing anything to encourage change.

Your stuck in your own deluded belief that you know it all and that your ideas of overweight people, and why they are overweight, are gospel.

Typical fat hater trying to pretend it's all about our health."

Think you need to chill..his post was about something he had heard on radio was it?...so not sure how he's a fat hater lol. You're getting way too wound up like it's hit a sore spot. If so deal with your own issues if any and don't blast him for just passing g on what he heard and an opinion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Try asking why people struggle and what would actually help. Otherwise it just looks like more bullying by the ill-informed and smug.

It isn't bullying to ask a question that is in the news even if you don't like the subject.

As others have said, if it winds you up so much do as the forum summary asks and not post for a while or even avoid the thread altogether"

I like this person

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Forum Rules

In summary: If you treat other people with respect, you can't go far wrong. Don't forget that the forums are meant to be fun, if you find yourself fuming and writing long angry messages you're probably best taking a break from it."

Can I say it again. Nail and head. Boom!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nobody is body bullying or fat shaming . Some people need to stop pulling that crap out of the bag every time the subject comes up . "

Well said

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Forum Rules

In summary: If you treat other people with respect, you can't go far wrong. Don't forget that the forums are meant to be fun, if you find yourself fuming and writing long angry messages you're probably best taking a break from it.

Can I say it again. Nail and head. Boom!!!!"

I'm saying double boom again then

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Bullshit.

Why so angry? You always seem to jump on these kind of threads as if they're directed at you. You give advice on how to lose weight but then say others attitudes make it difficult for you. It's your attitude and your actions which make it difficult.

Stop ranting on the Internet and put some of your advice into action then come back and advise how you did it and encourage others to do the same.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but sometimes we need to take a reality check and take responsibility for our actions and lifestyle in this case.

Good luck.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Nobody is body bullying or fat shaming . Some people need to stop pulling that crap out of the bag every time the subject comes up . "

Exactly. Like where did that come from really. I looked at the thread and thought hmmmm..seems interesting. Wrong it's a set up and I fell for it!

Reply privately

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

"You are what you eat"

Not always.

I eat only home prepared meals/foods using minimal processed meats. I work in an active job typically completing 12,000 steps by the time I get home...when I usually do most of the cooking, washing and cleaning.

I use public transport with walking and occasional cycling to get about.

I don't even like most junk food such as McD's (refuse to eat it), delivery pizza etc.

Yet I am a whisker under 22 stone.

Any doctor worth the name knows that different people's bodies do different things with the food and drink we consume.

Fortunately I am also healthy by all measurable quantities so am not costing the NHS anything.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Think you need to chill..his post was about something he had heard on radio was it?...so not sure how he's a fat hater lol. You're getting way too wound up like it's hit a sore spot. If so deal with your own issues if any and don't blast him for just passing g on what he heard and an opinion. "

Is she calling me a fat hater??? Wow just wow! Who put 50p in her today???

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Forum Rules

Can I say it again. Nail and head. Boom!!!!

I'm saying double boom again then "

That's my man!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Someone's TRIGGERED"

And this sort of attempted inflammatory remark is why these threads never go well. I do wish instead of assumptions being made about gym bunnies or fat people a sensible discussion could be have. I was medically obese for some time and have lost near ten stones now and it was certainly not through guilt application but more an understanding of a healthy diet. I think that the backlash against shaming has resulted in the body confidence movement - yes, there is no denying it is healthier to be slimmer but resorting to anecdotal fallacies and name calling won't help address the issue. Education is a far better tool when wielded correctly but all too often it becomes a shaming game.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

As others have said, if it winds you up so much do as the forum summary asks and not post for a while or even avoid the thread altogether"

There isn't a question being asked though, it's a judgemental statement.

My point is that asking the question about what is causing the problem and discussing that might actually help.

Earlier someone stated one of the barriers they face and it was dismissed out of hand by the OP because he thinks he knows better.

There are lots of reasons people gain weight and struggle to lose weight, and until they are understood and addressed, nothing will change.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Bullshit.

That shit doesn't happen to men.

Why so angry? You always seem to jump on these kind of threads as if they're directed at you. You give advice on how to lose weight but then say others attitudes make it difficult for you. It's your attitude and your actions which make it difficult.

Stop ranting on the Internet and put some of your advice into action then come back and advise how you did it and encourage others to do the same.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but sometimes we need to take a reality check and take responsibility for our actions and lifestyle in this case.

Good luck."

I applaud this man

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Think you need to chill..his post was about something he had heard on radio was it?...so not sure how he's a fat hater lol. You're getting way too wound up like it's hit a sore spot. If so deal with your own issues if any and don't blast him for just passing g on what he heard and an opinion. "

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"Someone's TRIGGERED

And this sort of attempted inflammatory remark is why these threads never go well. I do wish instead of assumptions being made about gym bunnies or fat people a sensible discussion could be have. I was medically obese for some time and have lost near ten stones now and it was certainly not through guilt application but more an understanding of a healthy diet. I think that the backlash against shaming has resulted in the body confidence movement - yes, there is no denying it is healthier to be slimmer but resorting to anecdotal fallacies and name calling won't help address the issue. Education is a far better tool when wielded correctly but all too often it becomes a shaming game."

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

Think you need to chill..his post was about something he had heard on radio was it?...so not sure how he's a fat hater lol. You're getting way too wound up like it's hit a sore spot. If so deal with your own issues if any and don't blast him for just passing g on what he heard and an opinion.

Is she calling me a fat hater??? Wow just wow! Who put 50p in her today??? "

I think it was a sore subject that in hindsight she probably should've stayed away when she said. "Backs off "..fact she came back with a mighty rant shows that

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

As others have said, if it winds you up so much do as the forum summary asks and not post for a while or even avoid the thread altogether

My point is that asking the question about what is causing the problem and discussing that might actually help.

Earlier someone stated one of the barriers they face and it was dismissed out of hand by the OP because he thinks he knows better.

There are lots of reasons people gain weight and struggle to lose weight, and until they are understood and addressed, nothing will change."

Hang on a minute I'm the OP and please can you point out where I have said "I know best" j merely made a statement about what I had heard.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Is she calling me a fat hater??? Wow just wow! Who put 50p in her today??? "

No, which you'd see if you checked who I was responding to.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

To the OP...I am going to sound well old now but I put it down to the amount of gorgeous fattening items on parade in the shops / lack of exercise from a young age/ lack of education about that gorgeous fattening food.

When I was young you would have been lucky to have half an aisle in a shop with goodies on, now there are aisles upon aisles of them and it is way too tempting.

What to do about it? Even if you educate people about what they should be eating they still have to want to. I didn't want to as I wanted the goodies too much until I got myself a dose of willpower.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"Someone's TRIGGERED

And this sort of attempted inflammatory remark is why these threads never go well. I do wish instead of assumptions being made about gym bunnies or fat people a sensible discussion could be have. I was medically obese for some time and have lost near ten stones now and it was certainly not through guilt application but more an understanding of a healthy diet. I think that the backlash against shaming has resulted in the body confidence movement - yes, there is no denying it is healthier to be slimmer but resorting to anecdotal fallacies and name calling won't help address the issue. Education is a far better tool when wielded correctly but all too often it becomes a shaming game."

And it should never amount to that at all!!! . Well said

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

I like this person "

I am going to screenshot that and save it as it doesn't happen often

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To the OP...I am going to sound well old now but I put it down to the amount of gorgeous fattening items on parade in the shops / lack of exercise from a young age/ lack of education about that gorgeous fattening food.

When I was young you would have been lucky to have half an aisle in a shop with goodies on, now there are aisles upon aisles of them and it is way too tempting.

What to do about it? Even if you educate people about what they should be eating they still have to want to. I didn't want to as I wanted the goodies too much until I got myself a dose of willpower."

Great response!! Well said x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"This is a really tough subject... One that I've thought long and hard about due to working in healthcare.

Here here!..mow that's a good response instead of just having a go at people for voicing an opinion "

A lot of people are overweight... it's a fact.

It's also a fact that people mainly need to eat less calories and do more exercise. The only thing I take issue with is those that think losing weight is a simple and easy process.

I've lost 7 stone. I train and lift weights and eat well with no diet foods, but after 10 years of reading into bullshit diets, I've only just cracked it. It's a hard thing to do and we shouldn't forget that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

There are lots of reasons people gain weight and struggle to lose weight, and until they are understood and addressed, nothing will change.

Hang on a minute I'm the OP and please can you point out where I have said "I know best" j merely made a statement about what I had heard. "

Didn't you warn me about arguing with fools..you not listening to yourself lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

Here here!..mow that's a good response instead of just having a go at people for voicing an opinion

A lot of people are overweight... it's a fact.

It's also a fact that people mainly need to eat less calories and do more exercise. The only thing I take issue with is those that think losing weight is a simple and easy process.

I've lost 7 stone. I train and lift weights and eat well with no diet foods, but after 10 years of reading into bullshit diets, I've only just cracked it. It's a hard thing to do and we shouldn't forget that.

"

It's a long ass thread but yes that has been said..but shoes you have an idea about the actual situation so kudos to you hun

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

Hang on a minute I'm the OP and please can you point out where I have said "I know best" j merely made a statement about what I had heard. "

How about when you glibly dismissed the person who said that they find buying healthy food more expensive than junk?

That was someone explaining what they feel is a barrier to eating healthily.

Rather than discuss it to see if it actually is a factor, you glibly said something to the effect of "I don't believe you, go to Aldi".

Does that really, do you think, address that barrier that this person feels they face?

No, it doesn't.

Reply privately

By *andsonjohnMan
over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

hand on there are four or five people going after one person in here who voiced a opinion on the subject which is what the forums about .

in my world that's ganging up and bullying so to those 4 or 5 people I would say you take a time out because its not a one to one discussion when a group is coming after one individual .

respect people show it by choosing to keep you mouth shut instead on piling in on one person .

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

It's a bit boring now. But thank you OP for a midely entertaining afternoon. I won't be commenting on anymore if your threads again lol..their dangerous man

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Hang on a minute I'm the OP and please can you point out where I have said "I know best" j merely made a statement about what I had heard.

How about when you glibly dismissed the person who said that they find buying healthy food more expensive than junk?

Rather than discuss it to see if it actually is a factor, you glibly said something to the effect of "I don't believe you, go to Aldi".

Does that really, do you think, address that barrier that this person feels they face?

No, it doesn't."

I think you will find that was me offering a soloution to their problem close the door on the way out and no need to thank me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It's a bit boring now. But thank you OP for a midely entertaining afternoon. I won't be commenting on anymore if your threads again lol..their dangerous man "

Ha ha it's been fun mate

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Make love not war...

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

I think it was a sore subject that in hindsight she probably should've stayed away when she said. "Backs off "..fact she came back with a mighty rant shows that"

It's a subject that winds me up yes because so many of you are oh so concerned about our health...

yet only that of women, never the obese men.

and you never actually ask what needs to be done or can be done, only ever bang on about what you think fat people should do.

These threads are never an attempt to understand the issues.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

No, it doesn't."

It is true though, you can buy fresh fruit veg and meat for less than junk food, I know as our shopping bill is cheaper than when I bought crap

Reply privately

over a year ago

"ok lets just get back to the discussion rather than who said what."

Well said

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

No, it doesn't.

I think you will find that was me offering a soloution to their problem close the door on the way out and no need to thank me "

Pmsl!!!!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

It is true though, you can buy fresh fruit veg and meat for less than junk food, I know as our shopping bill is cheaper than when I bought crap"

Careful she will be telling you off next you big bully

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

I think it was a sore subject that in hindsight she probably should've stayed away when she said. "Backs off "..fact she came back with a mighty rant shows that

It's a subject that winds me up yes because so many of you are oh so concerned about our health...

yet only that of women, never the obese men.

and you never actually ask what needs to be done or can be done, only ever bang on about what you think fat people should do.

These threads are never an attempt to understand the issues.

Oh give it a rest now!!! It will soon be 71% because we're all sat on our arses reading this tripe "

You are killing me OP

Reply privately

By *lyingscotsman696Man
over a year ago

Renfrewshire

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

No, it doesn't.

It is true though, you can buy fresh fruit veg and meat for less than junk food, I know as our shopping bill is cheaper than when I bought crap

Careful she will be telling you off next you big bully "

Aww..naughty naughty

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

I think you will find that was me offering a soloution to their problem close the door on the way out and no need to thank me "

Like I said, that's you thinking you know best.

You don't understand the cause of the problems or the extent of the barriers people face to be able to tell people what they should do.

If you asked people what they need and why they struggle, that would be different but these threads never do that.

And they're always, for some reason, started by a gym bunny who is soooo concerned for the health of the fatties, yet never interested in learning what could actually be done effectively.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

ok drop it now , you had a disagreement, get over it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"ok lets just get back to the discussion rather than who said what.

Well said "

You're agreeing with that comment but carrying on with the piss taking?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

I think you will find that was me offering a soloution to their problem close the door on the way out and no need to thank me

You don't understand the cause of the problems or the extent of the barriers people face to be able to tell people what they should do.

If you asked people what they need and why they struggle, that would be different but these threads never do that.

And they're always, for some reason, started by a gym bunny who is soooo concerned for the health of the fatties, yet never interested in learning what could actually be done effectively."

Is there a bored emoji available does anyone know?????

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

On the healthy food tip..I recently was shown a video of a worker making a lettuce in something that looked like oil..later they went on to try and burn the said lettuce with a flame..it didn't burn,smoke,go black or even look like a flame had been taken to it. It was sold in M&S by the way. Just lettuce for thought

Reply privately

over a year ago

When its cheaper to buy junk food rather then fresh fruit and meat are we surprised??

When out schools don't teach proper nutrition are we surprised?

When our parents are working to the bone and don't have enough time to to set an example in regards to exercise are we surprised?

I'm not surprised. I've battled with my weight for years. Hit over 20st a few years back.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

And they're always, for some reason, started by a gym bunny who is soooo concerned for the health of the fatties, yet never interested in learning what could actually be done effectively."

I take offence to compared to a bunny! You wouldn't like it if I compared you to a turtle would you? So please don't call me a bunny thank you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

I get that it's a sore subject... it is for me too.

However, sometimes I've found that the gym bunnies have had weight problems in the past. I'll hopefully be one. Does that mean that I can't make comments and offer advice to those overweight. I don't think this was a thread to fat shame or bully.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

No, it doesn't.

And they're always, for some reason, started by a gym bunny who is soooo concerned for the health of the fatties, yet never interested in learning what could actually be done effectively.

Is there a bored emoji available does anyone know????? "

?? lool

Reply privately

over a year ago

"On the healthy food tip..I recently was shown a video of a worker making a lettuce in something that looked like oil..later they went on to try and burn the said lettuce with a flame..it didn't burn,smoke,go black or even look like a flame had been taken to it. It was sold in M&S by the way. Just lettuce for thought "

Ha ha ha

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

It is true though, you can buy fresh fruit veg and meat for less than junk food, I know as our shopping bill is cheaper than when I bought crap"

Yes, it's true for you. It's true for a lot of people.

So why does the person feel it's a barrier?

Just saying "your wrong, my healthy shopping is cheaper than junk" doesn't help anyone who could actually do with help and advice on how to shop healthily on a budget.

That was an example of the OP dismissing someone because he knows better. But without asking about her situation of offering any actual help.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was borderline obese/overweight then I put on a few pounds last Christmas so I decided enough was enough. I lost a bit by just eating healthier the. In June I decided to do the 5 and 2 diet properly and join the local health club.

I never ever stuck with a diet before nor persevered with the gym and exercise since I was a teenager. But this time I have. I've now lost 2.5 st, I'm fitter than I was 20-25 years ago. Had to reduce my high BP medication because it is now too aggressive and I'm feeling fantastic.

Highly recommended

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was borderline obese/overweight then I put on a few pounds last Christmas so I decided enough was enough. I lost a bit by just eating healthier the. In June I decided to do the 5 and 2 diet properly and join the local health club.

I never ever stuck with a diet before nor persevered with the gym and exercise since I was a teenager. But this time I have. I've now lost 2.5 st, I'm fitter than I was 20-25 years ago. Had to reduce my high BP medication because it is now too aggressive and I'm feeling fantastic.

Highly recommended "

I've heard good things about fasting and the 5:2 diet!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

However, sometimes I've found that the gym bunnies have had weight problems in the past. I'll hopefully be one. Does that mean that I can't make comments and offer advice to those overweight. I don't think this was a thread to fat shame or bully. "

I used to be very overweight and do you know what I got my shit sorted, I started to exercise and eat healthy food, no one made me do it, I didn't blame everyone else, I got my finger out, dug deep and battled myself to a healthier lifestyle! So all this "you are a bully" shit makes me laugh

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 15:29:59]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've just been reading some articles on the internet which are very interesting. According to an OECD Health report, Italian children have the second highest obesity rates behind Greece amongst OECD countries. They think it's to do with the economic crisis.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Wherever the party is @

"

No, it doesn't.

I take offence to compared to a bunny! You wouldn't like it if I compared you to a turtle would you? So please don't call me a bunny thank you! "

It's okay bcz we go to the gym so others can say what they like OP..don't you get it. What about if you compared them to a dog or rat. World war 3 would insue

Reply privately

By *andsonjohnMan
over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

"ok lets just get back to the discussion rather than who said what.

Well said

You're agreeing with that comment but carrying on with the piss taking? "

what happening is a couple of blokes massaging there egos and taking the piss out of another human beings opinion , which is just another form of bullying to which I say this,

would you crowd around the woman in question in the real world and act like this somehow I think not .

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

However, sometimes I've found that the gym bunnies have had weight problems in the past. I'll hopefully be one. Does that mean that I can't make comments and offer advice to those overweight. I don't think this was a thread to fat shame or bully. "

Of course people can advise, but they need to remember that what worked for them may not work for everyone and that their barriers and needs were probably very different to the barriers and needs of others.

Saying what worked for them is great, but not when it's a lecture telling people what they need to do without realising their circumstances could be very different.

If you want to help someone you have to know what the problem is. Obesity is a complex problem.

Reply privately

By *bsinthe_boyMan
over a year ago

Luton

Aldi is great, but lots of people live in areas without an Aldi.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Aldi is great, but lots of people live in areas without an Aldi. "

I'll deliver to them then because I'm that kind of guy

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I know as our shopping bill is cheaper than when I bought crap"

Yeah, when I was in uni, I had to live on pasta, which is technically the cheapest possible thing you can buy as a meal, as a big bag will make about 30 portions and then it's just a case of adding the sauce and tinned tuna or whatever. Infinitely cheaper than half the amount of individual portions of microwaved meals/frozen pizza and far healthier.

People won't accept this though, as it doesn't fit with their narrative. If they have no excuse to hide behind, then they have to take responsibility for the situation they're in and this is a scary thing for a lot of people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lidl is great too

Reply privately

over a year ago

Our nearest Aldi isn't that close, plus the area is like a demilitarised zone.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyway this threads going to close soon, next time I hear some facts I'll be sure to post again

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I disagree with this. We changed how we eat this time last year and eat more fresh veg/ fruit and meat now and my shopping bill is actually cheaper now."

It obviously depends on what people buy in the first place. People won't be buying the same unhealthy things. I have to say I don't find it cheaper. I actually find there's a lot of wasted food when I buy fresh food.

I've struggled with my weight for years, I know it's linked to emotional eating in my situation. I've been a size 10 up to a size 20 and back again. At the moment I'm floating unhappily around the middle. Like others have said I won't be able to get back to eating healthy on a daily basis until I get over the rubbish year I've had. I know I will do it when I'm ready, putting pressure on myself won't help.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"

See, this is my idea of actually helping. Good for you . With friends like you she's more likely to be successful.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

Yes, it's true for you. It's true for a lot of people.

So why does the person feel it's a barrier?

Just saying "your wrong, my healthy shopping is cheaper than junk" doesn't help anyone who could actually do with help and advice on how to shop healthily on a budget.

."

I wasn't trying to give advice. But if I was to, I would say open your eyes in the fresh fruit/ veg and meat sections in the shops and steer clear of the goody aisles, if there is no goodies or junk food in the house you won't be able to eat it.

If I did give that advice I am sure I would get told I was stating the obvious.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No, it doesn't.

However, sometimes I've found that the gym bunnies have had weight problems in the past. I'll hopefully be one. Does that mean that I can't make comments and offer advice to those overweight. I don't think this was a thread to fat shame or bully.

Of course people can advise, but they need to remember that what worked for them may not work for everyone and that their barriers and needs were probably very different to the barriers and needs of others.

Saying what worked for them is great, but not when it's a lecture telling people what they need to do without realising their circumstances could be very different.

If you want to help someone you have to know what the problem is. Obesity is a complex problem."

I completely agree... it's very complex. I think I will always have an issue with food, I know I'm going to battle with it for the rest of my life.

What I'm saying is, they're not fat shaming, it's a really important topic that should be talked about.

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"It obviously depends on what people buy in the first place. People won't be buying the same unhealthy things. I have to say I don't find it cheaper. I actually find there's a lot of wasted food when I buy fresh food.

I've struggled with my weight for years, I know it's linked to emotional eating in my situation. I've been a size 10 up to a size 20 and back again. At the moment I'm floating unhappily around the middle.

Like others have said I won't be able to get back to eating healthy on a daily basis until I get over the rubbish year I've had. I know I will do it when I'm ready, putting pressure on myself won't help."

This is exactly it. It's complicated. Until people realise those struggling all have different issues, and need help and support tailored to them, the situation will continue to get worse.

Some people need help with time management, motivation, meal planning, how to shop and how to run the kitchen effectively so food isn't wasted and all sorts of other things.

Glib soundbites don't help.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Advice of junk food being more expensive than fresh food is good advice

Trust me I know all about trying to lose weight and how hard it is , I have got the t shirt and still wearing it....but dismissing people because they say it is cheaper to buy fresh food just looks like people will use any excuse to not eat healthily. It is a good start if people are serious about helping themselves

Reply privately