FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Help pleaseeeeee, I have a decorating question.....

Jump to newest

By *cduck and Blue eyes OP   Couple
over a year ago

nr chester

So morning all, I've had one of those mad moments and decided to decorate instead of getting someone in to do it, ( it's not going well ) so the first bedroom I started yesterday is blue, I'm going for cream, nice and neutral, have put a thinish coat of normal emulsion and a thickish coat, but we can still see the blue,

Do I, put another thick emulsion coat on, or buy some of that once only paint, in the hope then of it only needing one more coat, ( fed up now, and have only done two walls) thanks lots in advance, Mrs blue eyes

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

To go lighter it's always going to take a little time to achieve the required look. Once only paint is really good, but in my experience it's more effective to go with a couple of thin coats first to get the best finish. Try watering the first couple of coats down with 10% water which will create a good base, then go with a final coat without water and you should be pretty close to the finish you want. Patience pays off when going from darker to lighter. Good luck.

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Go for "creamy blue", and celebrate immediate success

over a year ago

"To go lighter it's always going to take a little time to achieve the required look. Once only paint is really good, but in my experience it's more effective to go with a couple of thin coats first to get the best finish. Try watering the first couple of coats down with 10% water which will create a good base, then go with a final coat without water and you should be pretty close to the finish you want. Patience pays off when going from darker to lighter. Good luck."

Good advice.

*apart from once coat is good. Not in my experience. But, we all have our own opinions.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 09:12:37]

over a year ago

"To go lighter it's always going to take a little time to achieve the required look. Once only paint is really good, but in my experience it's more effective to go with a couple of thin coats first to get the best finish. Try watering the first couple of coats down with 10% water which will create a good base, then go with a final coat without water and you should be pretty close to the finish you want. Patience pays off when going from darker to lighter. Good luck."

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Myself I'd put a lining paper over the darker colour then paint that, dark colours are a bitch to cover with pale colours ..they always seem to flash through..

By *cduck and Blue eyes OP   Couple
over a year ago

nr chester

Thanks for all your replys everyone, so I'm gathering from the general consensus that in the words of our very own shag' patience is the key' bummer, my arms are killing, still at least I won't need the gym, feckin Thomas the tank engine has a lot to answer for thanks again, Mrs blue eyes

Post new Message to Thread