Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

This is not a thread having a dig at cyclists

Jump to newest

By *ichaelangela OP   Couple
over a year ago

notts

At work, there are 5 people who cycle to work every day, now having been observing the bikes over the last few weeks, I can't help but notice that 4 of the 5 have completely bald tyres, 2 of which are showing canvas and one only has a working front brake.

Is it not a legal/enforceable crime for a cyclist as it is for car/motorcycle drivers

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

To the untrained eye the tyres on everyone of my bikes appears bald or to have very little tread. Threadbare tyres puncture pretty quickly though so the problem will solve itself

As for brakes, I asume that you mean one of the bikes only has a working front brake and no rear. Can be perfectly legal and perfectly safe if the rear wheel is a fixed gear

over a year ago

And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy as they don't have an MOT. I shudder when I see the condition of some bikes but nothing that can be done

By *isKinkedKuntsMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Not legally enforceable no and even if there was it would just be like cars where they either don't bother and drive till caught or pay their mate £25 to pass it regardless.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy "

Of course there is, see here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-1-you-and-your-bicycle

As an official code of practice, failure to comply with the Highway Code, while not an offence in itself, can lead to a prosecution under the Traffic Acts.

Assuming you can find a policeman bothered to fill in the paperwork...

Mr ddc

over a year ago

notts

"To the untrained eye the tyres on everyone of my bikes appears bald or to have very little tread. Threadbare tyres puncture pretty quickly though so the problem will solve itself

As for brakes, I asume that you mean one of the bikes only has a working front brake and no rear. Can be perfectly legal and perfectly safe if the rear wheel is a fixed gear"

not fixed wheel, that one looks like its got 200 gears on it lol, so many cogs & sprockets, the lever for the back brake is just flopping about with the end of the cable on show

over a year ago

I am a little curious as to why you are going and looking at the bikes. Have you thought about speaking to your HR department and suggesting that they put a sign up about how bikes should be roadworthy? Most employers are encouraging use of sustainable transport and to an extent have a duty of care

over a year ago

Tyre tread on bikes is hard to argue because some bikes literally have sleek tyres with pretty no tread what so ever.

Brakes on the other hand, if the front brake is working the bike is perfectly safe to ride, if it's just the rear brake working then the bike is likely going to crash sooner or later.

over a year ago

"Tyre tread on bikes is hard to argue because some bikes literally have sleek tyres with pretty no tread what so ever.

Brakes on the other hand, if the front brake is working the bike is perfectly safe to ride, if it's just the rear brake working then the bike is likely going to crash sooner or later."

By perfectly safe to ride, I mean you still keep safe distance between the vehicle in the front etc.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I am a little curious as to why you are going and looking at the bikes. "

I just assumed the OP was a smoker, and their smoking shelter is also the bike shelter, and their mind was wandering while having a ciggie.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

notts

"I am a little curious as to why you are going and looking at the bikes.

I just assumed the OP was a smoker, and their smoking shelter is also the bike shelter, and their mind was wandering while having a ciggie.

Mr ddc"

in one ddc

over a year ago

My bike doesn't really have any tread because it's a road bike... That's how it's meant to be...

By *rivate auditionsMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

"Tyre tread on bikes is hard to argue because some bikes literally have sleek tyres with pretty no tread what so ever.

Brakes on the other hand, if the front brake is working the bike is perfectly safe to ride, if it's just the rear brake working then the bike is likely going to crash sooner or later."

There are indeed a lot of slick tyres about on road bikes as it is more about the compound,certainly MTB bikes will be knobbly and standard every day bikes will have a more deeper cut tread pattern.

over a year ago

Why not? Cyclists are complete wa£#+rs.

Mutually loathed by pedestrians, train passengers and drivers alike.

By *ficouldMan
over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

"And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy

Of course there is, see here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-1-you-and-your-bicycle

As an official code of practice, failure to comply with the Highway Code, while not an offence in itself, can lead to a prosecution under the Traffic Acts.

Assuming you can find a policeman bothered to fill in the paperwork...

Mr ddc"

I'm glad they don't drive in, just imagine

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Why not? Cyclists are complete wa£#+rs.

Mutually loathed by pedestrians, train passengers and drivers alike. "

Cheers.... Being a cyclist, pedestrian, car driver, motorcyclist, and a passenger of many types of transport, I have to disagree.

And the ones who don't like cyclists are just jealous because they don't look as good in Lycra as I do

Cal

over a year ago

My bike has gatorskin tyres, so there's no tread to speak of, and look bald but they're not, as for brakes, personally I wouldn't leave the house unless both front and back where in good condition. I guess it depends on the distance they do, if it's just a mile or so then they probably won't think about the condition of the bike so much, I do 28 miles a day so keeping my bike in good working order is paramount to me.

By *ellomrtastyTV/TS
over a year ago

CD fuck town

Cheers.... Being a cyclist, pedestrian, car driver, motorcyclist, and a passenger of many types of transport, I have to disagree.

And the ones who don't like cyclists are just jealous because they don't look as good in Lycra as I do

Cal"

I must agree Cal they must be jealous

I love the way Lycra looks on all cyclists and love mine

On brakes I was always told be careful to pull your your front brake

T

over a year ago

Such an intelligent well thought out contribution. As attempts at provoking a reaction go it's pitiful. You haven't even mentioned road tax, pavements or red lights.

1/10. Must try harder

over a year ago

I particularly like the cyclists who look like they're doing Tour De France, on their way into work.

After driving through London many, many times, it's not the cyclists who are wankers, but the bus drivers.

over a year ago

Spotted 3 unlit bicycles this morning on my way into work. All three shot a read light then rode on the pavement.

Not criticising them of course, hitting a pedestrian is much safer than hitting a car.

Can't say I saw a single car or bus on the pavement, or any cars or buses other than parked one's with no lights.

Just saying like. Obviously the cyclists know something the drivers don't.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I am a little curious as to why you are going and looking at the bikes.

Mr ddc

in one ddc "

It was your thread title that gave it away, though I checked your profile to make sure.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Spotted 3 unlit bicycles this morning on my way into work. All three shot a read light then rode on the pavement.

Not criticising them of course, hitting a pedestrian is much safer than hitting a car.

Can't say I saw a single car or bus on the pavement, or any cars or buses other than parked one's with no lights.

Just saying like. Obviously the cyclists know something the drivers don't."

But how many had low tread on their tyres, brakes worn down to the metal, weren't wearing their seat belt, using their mobile phone, or any other issue you werent any to see in a snapshot that means their tonne of metal could lose control.

I absolutely agree that some cyclists are dangerous but I'd wager more drivers are.

Some pedestrians are dangerous. The amount of times I see runners on the wrong side of the road is scary, especially on country lanes by me.

over a year ago

"Spotted 3 unlit bicycles this morning on my way into work. All three shot a read light then rode on the pavement.

But how many had low tread on their tyres, brakes worn down to the metal, weren't wearing their seat belt, using their mobile phone, or any other issue you werent any to see in a snapshot that means their tonne of metal could lose control.

I absolutely agree that some cyclists are dangerous but I'd wager more drivers are.

Some pedestrians are dangerous. The amount of times I see runners on the wrong side of the road is scary, especially on country lanes by me. "

Well this morning's snapshot showed 100% of cyclists riding dangerously.

It's not possible for more than 100% of drivers to be dangerous.

over a year ago

evesham

Some pedestrians are dangerous. The amount of times I see runners on the wrong side of the road is scary, especially on country lanes by me.

Well this morning's snapshot showed 100% of cyclists riding dangerously.

It's not possible for more than 100% of drivers to be dangerous.

"

Didn't say it had to be more, just pointing out the things you. And always see

over a year ago

evesham

Can't always*

over a year ago

Such an intelligent well thought out contribution. As attempts at provoking a reaction go it's pitiful. You haven't even mentioned road tax, pavements or red lights.

1/10. Must try harder "

I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction. I genuinely despise cyclists and so do most people I know. I don't really see how there needs to be a "well thought out, intelligent contribution" to state that fact.

They cut up drivers, go through reds and nearly collide with pedestrians, deliberately antagonise people and get on rush hour trains with their bikes and take up space. It's a bit of a give away of how unpopular they are when they have to attach cameras to their helmets to document the frequent physical assaults on them.

over a year ago

1/10. Must try harder

I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction. I genuinely despise cyclists and so do most people I know. I don't really see how there needs to be a "well thought out, intelligent contribution" to state that fact.

They cut up drivers, go through reds and nearly collide with pedestrians, deliberately antagonise people and get on rush hour trains with their bikes and take up space. It's a bit of a give away of how unpopular they are when they have to attach cameras to their helmets to document the frequent physical assaults on them. "

Because no motorist uses a dash cam do they?

Tis country doesn't consider an integrated or environmentally friendly transport polict a necxwsity and we have a rail network that is hugely under - invested is cyclists fault how exactly? (I'll ignore that other than golfing bikes you can't take a bike on a rush hour train)

All your other comments are equally applicable to motorists too.

And no there doesn't need to be an intelligent argument but 'all cyclists are wankers so say me and my mates ' is so basic it's laughable and seems to be deliberately inflammatory

over a year ago

"

"

Possibly because you tend to associate with people who share your views and values.

This is why the Brexit and Trump vote came as such a surprise to many.

As for the general argument. Cyclists, car drivers, pedestrians all have certain elements of complete knobbery.

The only section that doesn't? Middle aged, bald, fat men that drive battered landrovers normally with a gormless mongrel on the passenger seat.

Why? Because that's me and like everyone else on the roads I think I'm the only bugger that's in the right!

over a year ago

That's like saying all swingers are filthy deviants...... Oh wait, we are

over a year ago

I must say I appreciate a nice tight ass and thighs of cyclists on my morning commute

over a year ago

1/10. Must try harder

They cut up drivers, go through reds and nearly collide with pedestrians, deliberately antagonise people and get on rush hour trains with their bikes and take up space. It's a bit of a give away of how unpopular they are when they have to attach cameras to their helmets to document the frequent physical assaults on them.

Because no motorist uses a dash cam do they?

That this country doesn't consider an integrated or environmentally friendly transport policy a necessity and we have a rail network that is hugely underinvested is cyclists fault how exactly? (I'll ignore that other than folding bikes you can't take a bike on a rush hour train)

All your other comments are equally applicable to motorists too.

And no there doesn't need to be an intelligent argument but 'all cyclists are wankers so say me and my mates ' is so basic it's laughable and seems to be deliberately inflammatory "

Reposted due to typos

over a year ago

Oh here we go again

over a year ago

"I must say I appreciate a nice tight ass and thighs of cyclists on my morning commute "

So much!

over a year ago

Perhaps it should be...sick of having to take avoiding action when suddeningly coming across them without lights wearing dark clothes. Alsowby do they think they can ignore the highway code, cycling through red lights and on paths etc....not enough of them are stopped and prosecuted, self righteous bastards....they make my blood boil!

By *rbane PlayerMan
over a year ago

London

1/10. Must try harder

They cut up drivers, go through reds and nearly collide with pedestrians, deliberately antagonise people and get on rush hour trains with their bikes and take up space. It's a bit of a give away of how unpopular they are when they have to attach cameras to their helmets to document the frequent physical assaults on them. "

Will pretend the generalisation of us cyclists wasn't deliberate...

By *isKinkedKuntsMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

1/10. Must try harder

Will pretend the generalisation of us cyclists wasn't deliberate..."

Yeah or the fact all of the above doesn't apply to car drivers as well. Oh forgot just to generalise a little more, Dam those car drivers, getting d*unk and mowing down innocent bystanders. Your all the same!!

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

1/10. Must try harder

Will pretend the generalisation of us cyclists wasn't deliberate..."

Why bother? It was. He was totally out to get a reaction rather than trying to make any valid point. As usual.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Well I hate the twat in a car with completely blacked out windows who did an illegal right turn straight into the path of my son who was cycling as per the Highway Code and changed his life forever.

I walk, drive and cycle very well but I occasionally do one of the three badly, as do we all.

over a year ago

"At work, there are 5 people who cycle to work every day, now having been observing the bikes over the last few weeks, I can't help but notice that 4 of the 5 have completely bald tyres, 2 of which are showing canvas and one only has a working front brake.

Is it not a legal/enforceable crime for a cyclist as it is for car/motorcycle drivers"

Back brakes don't really do shit anyhow unless you want to do a big skid

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

1/10. Must try harder

Will pretend the generalisation of us cyclists wasn't deliberate...

Yeah or the fact all of the above doesn't apply to car drivers as well. Oh forgot just to generalise a little more, Dam those car drivers, getting d*unk and mowing down innocent bystanders. Your all the same!! "

Just like the person did very recently to some folk waiting for a bus in Leicester.

over a year ago

1/10. Must try harder

It's funny - the three times that I've been knocked off my bike it was entirely the car drivers fault! And the police agreed!

By *rivate auditionsMan
over a year ago

West Midlands

I got hit by idiotic car drivers in broad daylight!,first time one ran into me from the rear on a traffic island when he just came hurtling down the slip road never thinking about looking/stopping to see who else was on the roundabout and shunted me!,the second time again in broad daylight so no excuse about not being able to see me and i was the only one on the road but a petrol head young guy just slammed into me from my left after he failed to stop at a tee junction!,"i didn't see you!" "in that case you need your eyes testing and shouldn't be driving!" i said.

Car drivers seem to think they own the roads and have no consideration for other road users whatsoever!.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"I got hit by idiotic car drivers in broad daylight!,first time one ran into me from the rear on a traffic island when he just came hurtling down the slip road never thinking about looking/stopping to see who else was on the roundabout and shunted me!,the second time again in broad daylight so no excuse about not being able to see me and i was the only one on the road but a petrol head young guy just slammed into me from my left after he failed to stop at a tee junction!,"i didn't see you!" "in that case you need your eyes testing and shouldn't be driving!" i said.

Car drivers seem to think they own the roads and have no consideration for other road users whatsoever!. "

Some car drivers

over a year ago

1/10. Must try harder

It's funny - the three times that I've been knocked off my bike it was entirely the car drivers fault! And the police agreed!"

The two times I was knocked off my bike by drivers I had bones broken. One driver turned right and drive into me, the other pulled out and knocked me into on coming traffic. The police response was no case to answer.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"At work, there are 5 people who cycle to work every day, now having been observing the bikes over the last few weeks, I can't help but notice that 4 of the 5 have completely bald tyres, 2 of which are showing canvas and one only has a working front brake.

Is it not a legal/enforceable crime for a cyclist as it is for car/motorcycle drivers"

Cycle tyres are not subject to a minimum tread depth as motor vehicle tyres are.

As for brakes, imagine an emergency stop with no back brake....

By *he girl with dreadlocksWoman
over a year ago

need to know basis in Wolverhampton

Some pedestrians are dangerous. The amount of times I see runners on the wrong side of the road is scary, especially on country lanes by me. "

People moan when we ride on the path and they moan when we ride on the road we can't win.

over a year ago

People moan when we ride on the path and they moan when we ride on the road we can't win. "

People who moan about cyclists are usually unfit lard arses.

over a year ago

a cyclist shockingly jumped a red light t boned me right fairing is cracked from impact my bike spilled over so now I'm looking around 1k of damage to both sides. Police didn't bother as it was only a cyclist and can't be traced and held accountable for.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Is it not a legal/enforceable crime for a cyclist as it is for car/motorcycle drivers

Cycle tyres are not subject to a minimum tread depth as motor vehicle tyres are.

As for brakes, imagine an emergency stop with no back brake....

"

At work a few weeks back, sitting in a queue of traffic in the rain... We hear "zzzz bang..."

We get out and a cyclist is picking herself up from behind our van. A female courier had decided to go down the wrong side of the road to pass the stationery traffic. Unfortunately there was vehicles coming up the road. She couldn't stop and decided it was better to hit a stationery van than a moving car...

The first thing out of her mouth was "Sorry my brakes don't work very well..."

She was luck to get away a few minor cuts and bruises...

over a year ago

[says]

"This is not a thread having a dig at cyclists"

**then has a dig at cyclists**

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

The zzzz sound was her trying to use her trainers to stop... Not great in the rain...

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy as they don't have an MOT. I shudder when I see the condition of some bikes but nothing that can be done"

The bike can be taken off you it is not suitable to be ridden safely, I had a hack bike that was basically not far off a wreck. But it was left for 14 hours while I was at work so I didn't want a good one , I got stopped by a cycle safety team and it got taken from me.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

On my good bike I have a set of tyres that are basically slicks, the tread is that small.

There is no minimum tread depth. The only requirement for brakes is 1 brake for fixed wheels.

It annoys me when I see idiots with no brakes, I usually give a mouthful of abuse.

over a year ago

"People moan when we ride on the path and they moan when we ride on the road we can't win. "

And the cycle lanes aren't much better either, they're often blocked by parked cars

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

when millions has been spent on cycle paths, keep off the damn roads..thanks xx

over a year ago

1/10. Must try harder

I liked the bit about "deliberately antagonising people".

over a year ago

Has a truck driver I refuse to get involved in these kind of posts lol.

over a year ago

"I am a little curious as to why you are going and looking at the bikes. Have you thought about speaking to your HR department and suggesting that they put a sign up about how bikes should be roadworthy? Most employers are encouraging use of sustainable transport and to an extent have a duty of care "

God I hope you are joking about the hr department

over a year ago

"when millions has been spent on cycle paths, keep off the damn roads..thanks xx "

^^ yeaahhhhh

over a year ago

I'm like the worst cyclist ever!

I spend most of my commute going down the bus lane against on coming traffic. I flick between the pavement and the bus lane when a bus or cab is driving towards me. I also don't stop at red lights, I either hop on to the pavement or just push through the light and race through the first gap

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Twats are twats, it doesn't matter what vehicle they are propelling.

I see as many car drivers behaving like selfish cunts as I do cyclists.

We naturally prefer those like us, but if you can define yourself solely by the vehicle you are propelling, then you are quite an empty person.

Also most cyclists drive cars and many car drivers cycle. They are not two distinct camps.

Stop behaving like children.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Twats are twats, it doesn't matter what vehicle they are propelling.

I see as many car drivers behaving like selfish cunts as I do cyclists.

We naturally prefer those like us, but if you can define yourself solely by the vehicle you are propelling, then you are quite an empty person.

Also most cyclists drive cars and many car drivers cycle. They are not two distinct camps.

Stop behaving like children."

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"As for brakes, imagine an emergency stop with no back brake.... "

To be honest, in an emergency stop situation, there is no weight on the back wheel as all of the weight is thrown forward so the rear brake doesn't contribute much and would usually lock up anyway.

Cal

over a year ago

People moan when we ride on the path and they moan when we ride on the road we can't win.

People who moan about cyclists are usually unfit lard arses. "

Ha ha

over a year ago

"People moan when we ride on the path and they moan when we ride on the road we can't win.

And the cycle lanes aren't much better either, they're often blocked by parked cars "

Very true indeed

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy as they don't have an MOT. I shudder when I see the condition of some bikes but nothing that can be done"

The law states that bikes must be roadworthy; including brakes and lights.

1. Unfortunately no one polices this ( they used to, I remember in my youth, seeing reports in the local paper of people being fined for riding bikes without lights)

2. Many "cyclists" think that there are no laws regarding bicycles.

Many ( not all; the responsible ones are good) also believe that none of the rules of the road or the Highway Code apply to bikes either.

By *isKinkedKuntsMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

"And no there is no legal responsibility to have a bike roadworthy as they don't have an MOT. I shudder when I see the condition of some bikes but nothing that can be done

The law states that bikes must be roadworthy; including brakes and lights.

1. Unfortunately no one polices this ( they used to, I remember in my youth, seeing reports in the local paper of people being fined for riding bikes without lights)

2. Many "cyclists" think that there are no laws regarding bicycles.

Many ( not all; the responsible ones are good) also believe that none of the rules of the road or the Highway Code apply to bikes either."

Just like car drivers then.

over a year ago

I think I'd rather have a working rear than a working front on a push bike.

A locked rear is far easier to control than a locked front

over a year ago

Brakes on the other hand, if the front brake is working the bike is perfectly safe to ride, if it's just the rear brake working then the bike is likely going to crash sooner or later.

A locked rear is far easier to control than a locked front"

It's really not

over a year ago

The thing is due to weight transfer forward when braking it is actually much harder to lock the front brake. A front brake is also more efficient at stopping, again due to weight transfer and the increased grip it provides.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

All that means is that you would rather have a locked rear than front. It doesn't mean that having only a front brake is dangerous.

over a year ago

1 of the most stupid posts ever seen

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

1 of the most stupid posts ever seen"

I very much doubt that. Or you have not spent much time in the sewer of ignorant half baked reactionary morality that is the Fab Forum.

over a year ago

"when millions has been spent on cycle paths, keep off the damn roads..thanks xx "

I pay road tax for 3 cars I will ride my bike on the road if I want to??? No cycle paths in my town

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

1. You are not likely to lock a front brake ( unless you are on ice, oil or mud/ wet leaves). The weight transfer to the front of the bike increases the friction between the front tyre and the road, so a front brake , up to a point, becomes more effective, the harder you brake.

2. The rear brake becomes less effective as you brake, for the opposite reason ( weight transfer off the rear tyre)

Rear brakes lock very quickly . Locking the rear brake lises traction on the road, loses stability, and is the quickest way to dump yourself on your ass.

That's why front brakes on motorcycles are much more powerful than rear brakes; and why you put much less effort into rear braking; and why car brakes ( which are automatically balanced between front and rear, are biased with much more effort on the front depending on the car design at least 60/40 front/ rear; more likely about 75/25

over a year ago

"when millions has been spent on cycle paths, keep off the damn roads..thanks xx

I pay road tax for 3 cars I will ride my bike on the road if I want to??? No cycle paths in my town"

You do know the road tax is an emissions tax right?

over a year ago

"

Possibly because you tend to associate with people who share your views and values.

As for the general argument. Cyclists, car drivers, pedestrians all have certain elements of complete knobbery.

The only section that doesn't? Middle aged, bald, fat men that drive battered landrovers normally with a gormless mongrel on the passenger seat.

Why? Because that's me and like everyone else on the roads I think I'm the only bugger that's in the right!

"

Haha possible seen you driving down the A2! I noticed a couple of battered land-rovers driven by bald guys with a dog sitting upfront.

On a different note and to all on this thread, is it legal and obviously OK for cyclists to ride side by side? I always thought they had to ride single file.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"when millions has been spent on cycle paths, keep off the damn roads..thanks xx

I pay road tax for 3 cars I will ride my bike on the road if I want to??? No cycle paths in my town

You do know the road tax is an emissions tax right?"

It is a tax set on the instantaneous emission value of the vehicle. But you don't pay more for driving more and emitting more. You pay the same either way. Therefore it doesn't matter.

over a year ago

It is a tax set on the instantaneous emission value of the vehicle. But you don't pay more for driving more and emitting more. You pay the same either way. Therefore it doesn't matter."

the more environmentally friendly your vehicle is the less tax you pay, so doesn't really matter how many miles ya do really.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"

Haha possible seen you driving down the A2! I noticed a couple of battered land-rovers driven by bald guys with a dog sitting upfront.

On a different note and to all on this thread, is it legal and obviously OK for cyclists to ride side by side? I always thought they had to ride single file. "

It is legal to ride two abreast.

Additionally cyclists, likely road users, are entitled to use the entire lane of the see fit. Those who cycle to the side do so as a courtesy but it is not always safe or possible to cycle over to the left hand side, therefore any other vehicles shall have to share the road and wait until it is safe to pass the cyclist.

Waiting is something we could all do more and be much better for it.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

It is a tax set on the instantaneous emission value of the vehicle. But you don't pay more for driving more and emitting more. You pay the same either way. Therefore it doesn't matter.

the more environmentally friendly your vehicle is the less tax you pay, so doesn't really matter how many miles ya do really."

That's exactly what I just said.

Like cars with no emissions, bicycles pay no vehicle excise duty.

Does that mean low/no emission cars should be banned from the road?

over a year ago

the more environmentally friendly your vehicle is the less tax you pay, so doesn't really matter how many miles ya do really.

Does that mean low/no emission cars should be banned from the road?"

No, idiots should be banned from the road

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"

"

Looks like I need to get myself a gormless mongrel...

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

Does that mean low/no emission cars should be banned from the road?"

Yes...We don't want damn smelly yoghurt knitters on our roads...

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

No, idiots should be banned from the road"

Ok so we define idiots anyone who gets on your nerves at any particular time?

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Yes...We don't want damn smelly yoghurt knitters on our roads... "

Bicycle knitters. Yogurt knitters would never have the courage to step out into the big bad world. They are too busy blogging about how awful it all is.

over a year ago

Ok so we define idiots anyone who gets on your nerves at any particular time?"

Idiots I define (trying to keep to the topic now) as any road user who doesn't obide by the highyway code.

over a year ago

"

On a different note and to all on this thread, is it legal and obviously OK for cyclists to ride side by side? I always thought they had to ride single file.

Additionally cyclists, likely road users, are entitled to use the entire lane of the see fit. Those who cycle to the side do so as a courtesy but it is not always safe or possible to cycle over to the left hand side, therefore any other vehicles shall have to share the road and wait until it is safe to pass the cyclist.

Waiting is something we could all do more and be much better for it."

And a group of 8 cyclists travelling 2 abreast is easier to pass safely than 8 cyclists in single file.

The key word there being safely, too many motorists focus on quickest

By *oi_LucyCouple
over a year ago

Barbados

"

And a group of 8 cyclists travelling 2 abreast is easier to pass safely than 8 cyclists in single file.

The key word there being safely, too many motorists focus on quickest "

One thing taught by the IAM motorcyclists course on overtaking is the mantra 'is it safe, is it legal, is it necessary'. Often I find watching other road users it is the last one that many people miss. The number of times when cycling someone does a risky overtake just before coming to a long stationary queue of traffic that they could see was there.

-Matt

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"

The key word there being safely, too many motorists focus on quickest

One thing taught by the IAM motorcyclists course on overtaking is the mantra 'is it safe, is it legal, is it necessary'. Often I find watching other road users it is the last one that many people miss. The number of times when cycling someone does a risky overtake just before coming to a long stationary queue of traffic that they could see was there.

-Matt"

Correct

And using something that 90% of road users seem to have had removed: anticipation and planning.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Idiots I define (trying to keep to the topic now) as any road user who doesn't obide by the highyway code."

Fair, no one ever makes mistakes, presumably you are utterly in line with it every inch you drive?

Not ever above the speed limit, indicate in good time every time, never get your lane wrong, give cyclists 2-3m of space when you pass them every time without fail, and so on.

Everyone cocks up from time to time, that's cool. It's how you deal with it which makes you a danger or not.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Bicycles where here before the cars were.

I would gladly ride on the cycle paths, if it wasn't for the fact I keep hitting them as they dawdle along. Saying that though when you have hit someone at 30mph, it is nice to have a soft landing.

They keep getting in the way of my pb on strava.

over a year ago

Idiots I define (trying to keep to the topic now) as any road user who doesn't obide by the highyway code.

Fair, no one ever makes mistakes, presumably you are utterly in line with it every inch you drive?

Not ever above the speed limit, indicate in good time every time, never get your lane wrong, give cyclists 2-3m of space when you pass them every time without fail, and so on.

Everyone cocks up from time to time, that's cool. It's how you deal with it which makes you a danger or not."

Erm I'm a cyclist, one who stops at red lights (including pedestrian crossings) doesn't weave through traffic to get to the front of the queue, lit up like a Christmas tree so I can be seen, I anticipate the road ahead, specially when cars are waiting to pull out from side roads, I never assume cars or people will get out of my way, I never brake a speed limit, yes mistakes do get made by everyone, but I've never made any whilst cycling, when driving on the other hand, I'll hold my hand up and admit I've fractured one or two laws.

over a year ago

1. You are not likely to lock a front brake ( unless you are on ice, oil or mud/ wet leaves). The weight transfer to the front of the bike increases the friction between the front tyre and the road, so a front brake , up to a point, becomes more effective, the harder you brake.

2. The rear brake becomes less effective as you brake, for the opposite reason ( weight transfer off the rear tyre)

Rear brakes lock very quickly . Locking the rear brake lises traction on the road, loses stability, and is the quickest way to dump yourself on your ass.

That's why front brakes on motorcycles are much more powerful than rear brakes; and why you put much less effort into rear braking; and why car brakes ( which are automatically balanced between front and rear, are biased with much more effort on the front depending on the car design at least 60/40 front/ rear; more likely about 75/25"

All true and accurate.

A front is more effective in terms of stopping power, if you can avoid locking it, which may or may not be possible depending on conditions.

But if you lock a rear it will tend to at least lock and continue travelling in a straight line, or if in a corner at the time in a predictable arc.

Lock a front and it can go anywhere. At least that was my experience on push bikes.

Id rather risk a locked rear and adjust my stopping distance to take account of its lower overall effectiveness than rely on being able to control a locked front. Personally. Everything you say is accurate though.

By *atsun xxxMan
over a year ago

Nr LOUTH Lincolnshire

As a bike rider I thought I must add my input

Yes I ride a bike and I am a wanker

But never both at the same time, because that would just be dangerous

Stay safe and always wear a helmet xxx

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"As a bike rider I thought I must add my input

Yes I ride a bike and I am a wanker

But never both at the same time, because that would just be dangerous

Stay safe and always wear a helmet xxx"

Do you wear the helmet for wanking?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

That's why front brakes on motorcycles are much more powerful than rear brakes; and why you put much less effort into rear braking; and why car brakes ( which are automatically balanced between front and rear, are biased with much more effort on the front depending on the car design at least 60/40 front/ rear; more likely about 75/25

All true and accurate.

A front is more effective in terms of stopping power, if you can avoid locking it, which may or may not be possible depending on conditions.

But if you lock a rear it will tend to at least lock and continue travelling in a straight line, or if in a corner at the time in a predictable arc.

Lock a front and it can go anywhere. At least that was my experience on push bikes.

Id rather risk a locked rear and adjust my stopping distance to take account of its lower overall effectiveness than rely on being able to control a locked front. Personally. Everything you say is accurate though. "

Never locked the front up on a bicycle, done the back loads of times.

By *tep121Man
over a year ago

manchester

I'm also a cyclist and a motorist. Last time I didn't check my bike over before I went out on it, the pedal flew off. Ended up costing nearly £200 to fix it.

I always check my bike over before I go anywhere on it. Same with my car (weekly or before long trips)

Worst thing I've heard is barbed wire between trees at delemere on a bike track. Same goes for wooden spikes somewhere else just after a jump.. first off, how, and why would some extra do that sort of thing...

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

All true and accurate.

Id rather risk a locked rear and adjust my stopping distance to take account of its lower overall effectiveness than rely on being able to control a locked front. Personally. Everything you say is accurate though. "

But if you are going so fast in the circumstances that you have to brake so hard that the front locks up; then:

1. You are going too fast for the road conditions

2. You are not anticipating road conditions and situations

One of the first things drummed into bikers and drivers on their ISM or ROSPA advanced courses. Same applies to bicycles

"You must always be able to stop, under control,on your side if the road/ in your lane "

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

You try walking on streets in Oxford. Cyclists are everywhere! I reckon they're breeding every day!

Toad behaviour habits taught them by Kamikaze Pilots!

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"You try walking on streets in Oxford. Cyclists are everywhere! I reckon they're breeding every day!

Toad behaviour habits taught them by Kamikaze Pilots!"

I meant Road behaviour!

over a year ago

Walkers and joggers are advised to use the wrong side of the road when a footpath isn't available so that they can see the traffic coming and move over out of the way, if they were on the correct side then they may not notice you coming up behind them especially if they are hard of hearing.

Ess

Post new Message to Thread