Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Family tree

Jump to newest

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

As some of you may know I love genealogy (family tree)

Today I have managed to get not only find out that one of my relatives was in the American civil war he was a major and was around the battle of Gettysburg

Also I have found I have a distant cousin with a huge irish family in American that I knew nothing about

It is often that I am really proud but on Memorial Day / American Veterans Day I am really proud !!!!!

I was wondering does anyone else to genaology or is just me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"As some of you may know I love genealogy (family tree)

Today I have managed to get not only find out that one of my relatives was in the American civil war he was a major and was around the battle of Gettysburg

Also I have found I have a distant cousin with a huge irish family in American that I knew nothing about

It is often that I am really proud but on Memorial Day / American Veterans Day I am really proud !!!!!

I was wondering does anyone else to genaology or is just me "

My family tree would be more a poison ivy growing up the wall lol x

over a year ago

Been researching since I was 8 year old.

A cousin has been very active - found out one of our lines is linked back to Richard III - and another to Ethelred the Unready lol

By *horley GirlWoman
over a year ago

Local-ish

Meeee i do

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

It's funny as you go for months not getting any info then all of a sudden it all flows and you go wow !!!

Since finding out about my relative who was at Gettysburg I have to do some reading around

I know a bit about it already but not as much as I would like to. Aparantly a book has been written by my relative

over a year ago

I was wondering does anyone else to genaology or is just me "

I love it - I have a photo of my Great Great Grandparents with their 5 sons who all went off to fight in the war and they all returned home safe.

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

I love it - I have a photo of my Great Great Grandparents with their 5 sons who all went off to fight in the war and they all returned home safe."

Wow that al 5 returned home. I like reading old was records as they are interesting

over a year ago

I love it - I have a photo of my Great Great Grandparents with their 5 sons who all went off to fight in the war and they all returned home safe.

Wow that al 5 returned home. I like reading old was records as they are interesting "

Yes it blows my mind when I think about it.

over a year ago

I have got my family tree traces back to the 1300s - need to visit Lancaster as that's where I have come to a halt. The last guy was a vicar ....that's irony

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'm back to about 1300 with ours and that's about as far as I can go.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"I have got my family tree traces back to the 1300s - need to visit Lancaster as that's where I have come to a halt. The last guy was a vicar ....that's irony "

Coincidence! Have you tried visitation records?

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

"I have got my family tree traces back to the 1300s - need to visit Lancaster as that's where I have come to a halt. The last guy was a vicar ....that's irony "

We got back to one of the early family's in New England

Though on my American German side it's only to mid 1800s

I know on my Dads side they come from Irish travelers

over a year ago

"I have got my family tree traces back to the 1300s - need to visit Lancaster as that's where I have come to a halt. The last guy was a vicar ....that's irony

Coincidence! Have you tried visitation records? "

No, I was planning on going to the cemetery & having a mooch around & the see if that leads anywhere

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

"I have got my family tree traces back to the 1300s - need to visit Lancaster as that's where I have come to a halt. The last guy was a vicar ....that's irony

Coincidence! Have you tried visitation records?

No, I was planning on going to the cemetery & having a mooch around & the see if that leads anywhere "

I hope it goes well

over a year ago

I know on my Dads side they come from Irish travelers "

I'm lead to believe I have Irish heritage too

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

I'm lead to believe I have Irish heritage too "

I have to actually get round to DNA test find out where I am from

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

Love it. Im back to the 1500's with my Mums side, and 1700's with my Dad's. Not bad considering my Dad was adopted.

over a year ago

I don't believe in searching family trees such as that Ancestry website.

Because:

A) If life wants you to know something it will show itself.

Aa) If it doesn't want you to know something it won't.

over a year ago

"It's funny as you go for months not getting any info then all of a sudden it all flows and you go wow !!!

Since finding out about my relative who was at Gettysburg I have to do some reading around

I know a bit about it already but not as much as I would like to. Aparantly a book has been written by my relative "

Have you been to Gettysburg? Incredibly moving place.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

I'm lead to believe I have Irish heritage too

I have to actually get round to DNA test find out where I am from "

Well done. That is brilliant tracing you history. The DNA results should be fascinating.

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

"It's funny as you go for months not getting any info then all of a sudden it all flows and you go wow !!!

I know a bit about it already but not as much as I would like to. Aparantly a book has been written by my relative

Have you been to Gettysburg? Incredibly moving place."

Been phili twice and never went!!! Been to my grandfathers old house in nj when they got it 90 years ago

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, that's great for you.

It's not really possible for all of us. As my ancestry includes indentured servitude/slavery of a dubious nature the records don't take you back very far. Add to that the name changes that happened as a matter of course or incompetence (even just one generation back) then it becomes really difficult.

By *ikeC81 OP   Man
over a year ago

harrow

"OP, that's great for you.

It's not really possible for all of us. As my ancestry includes indentured servitude/slavery of a dubious nature the records don't take you back very far. Add to that the name changes that happened as a matter of course or incompetence (even just one generation back) then it becomes really difficult.

"

Lickey that is always the one thing I am worried about is finding a member of family that either owned a slave, or was a slave

Luckily my family were all north of the mason dickson line so the chances are minimal - however it could be possible. Though the uncle in the civil war Had a servant that was afro-American which still doesn't sit to well with me

If you are North American ancestry and you are white and from the southern states there is high probability you will have a family member that was involved, the same if you are of Afro American heritage

I suppose it is the same if your are of Jewish heritage and from mainland Europe.

By *horley GirlWoman
over a year ago

Local-ish

I keep debating DNA testing to trace further

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"OP, that's great for you.

Lickey that is always the one thing I am worried about is finding a member of family that either owned a slave, or was a slave

Luckily my family were all north of the mason dickson line so the chances are minimal - however it could be possible. Though the uncle in the civil war Had a servant that was afro-American which still doesn't sit to well with me

If you are North American ancestry and you are white and from the southern states there is high probability you will have a family member that was involved, the same if you are of Afro American heritage

I suppose it is the same if your are of Jewish heritage and from mainland Europe."

Don't worry about it - there absolutely nothing you can do to change the past. What all of us can do is to learn from the past, acknowledge how it influences our present and do our best to evolve from abhorrent practices.

By *tephanie19631TV/TS
over a year ago

oxford

Got back to the late 1800s on ancestory then got stuck as fathers side came from irish travellers and all went a bit guess work.

Interesting at the time may take it up again.

Post new Message to Thread