Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wearing of the poppy

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So as many of us will of noticed support for the forces both past and present has grown but what a complete farce football is for not letting teams have it on shirts. If you watch both rugby league an union over the weekend you will see them wearing it with pride.

What are people's thoughts?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You will see the poppy for the England Scotland game, weather FIFA say they can or not

over a year ago

I think perhaps some of those valiant individuals who fought and died in their a sacrifice without equal would be disappointed people today are squabbling about a flower....

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Does it make that much difference to remembrance day if 22 men run round a pitch for 90 minutes wearing a poppy

over a year ago

"Does it make that much difference to remembrance day if 22 men run round a pitch for 90 minutes wearing a poppy"

When they represent their country on armistice day, yes.

over a year ago

"I think perhaps some of those valiant individuals who fought and died in their a sacrifice without equal would be disappointed people today are squabbling about a flower.... "

I like to think proud that we CAN squabble about a flower, because we can use the freedom of speech they secured for us

By *ootballFlowerCouple
over a year ago

Ollerton

it is only FIFA that is stopping the home nations having a poppy on the football jersey. They regard it as a political statement and therefore is banned. FIFA have is a real issue with the home nations Football Assocs. especially the English FA. Their bias is clearly demonstrated in the fact that they allowed Argentina to display a political banner regarding the Falklands Islands before a game a few years ago without sanction but refuse to back down on the wearing of a poppy.

The boys will be wearing an armband with it on tomorrow evening but it should be sewn in to the jersey as it is in club level games.

over a year ago

"I think perhaps some of those valiant individuals who fought and died in their a sacrifice without equal would be disappointed people today are squabbling about a flower.... "

When that flower is our visual representation that we still hold their sacrifice in esteem...

over a year ago

I think it shud be personal choice for each and every player

over a year ago

For me it's not so much them wearing a poppy for 90 minutes as they run around, more why the fuck should they take it off for those 90 minutes...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Does it make that much difference to remembrance day if 22 men run round a pitch for 90 minutes wearing a poppy

When they represent their country on armistice day, yes."

i disagree, when i want to see the meaning of the poppy i take myself of to meinigate shortly after remembrance day. Whether 22 men run around a pitch wearing one makes not one iota of difference to me

By *harpDressed ManMan
over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Another year, another daily mail campaign....

If the poppy is PERCEIVED (rightly or wrongly) as a political symbol, then under the rules of FIFA (that the four home nations have 80% of a say in), it's not allowed.

The debate should be about how we as a global society come up with a way of respecting those to gave their lives in conflict in an apolitical way.

over a year ago

"I think perhaps some of those valiant individuals who fought and died in their a sacrifice without equal would be disappointed people today are squabbling about a flower....

I like to think proud that we CAN squabble about a flower, because we can use the freedom of speech they secured for us"

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Does it make that much difference to remembrance day if 22 men run round a pitch for 90 minutes wearing a poppy"

These 22 over paid individuals have a duty as role models to a younger generation unawear of the sacrifice and meaning of today and this werkend but the big must not understand how many people from different nations that paid a price.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Does it make that much difference to remembrance day if 22 men run round a pitch for 90 minutes wearing a poppy

These 22 over paid individuals have a duty as role models to a younger generation unawear of the sacrifice and meaning of today and this werkend but the big must not understand how many people from different nations that paid a price. "

really, well as a parent i think i would of failed pretty miserably if the only way my son knew the meaning of remembrance day was by watching a grope of men kicking a bloody football wearing a poppy

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

When they represent their country on armistice day, yes.i disagree, when i want to see the meaning of the poppy i take myself of to meinigate shortly after remembrance day. Whether 22 men run around a pitch wearing one makes not one iota of difference to me"

I can't see what your problem is with our teams wearing the Poppy. Everyone else in the country who chooses to wear a Poppy and there is no Health & Safety reason why they can't are free to do so. Why is it unreasonable to want to wear the Poppy with pride when you play for your country?

By *alldarkhandsomedaveMan
over a year ago

Derby

When they represent their country on armistice day, yes.i disagree, when i want to see the meaning of the poppy i take myself of to meinigate shortly after remembrance day. Whether 22 men run around a pitch wearing one makes not one iota of difference to me

I can't see what your problem is with our teams wearing the Poppy. Everyone else in the country who chooses to wear a Poppy and there is no Health & Safety reason why they can't are free to do so. Why is it unreasonable to want to wear the Poppy with pride when you play for your country? "

over a year ago

the uproar recently (could have been years ago now) when someone didn't wear one when on tv, I don't think it's about the individual wearing them now and the reason why, it's now "law" if you will for people to wear one on tv or wherever and there isn't any meaning behind it for the person 'having to wear it'. Not sure if that makes any sense, I don't feel it's wore for the right reasons in the public eye, it's like when it was trendy back in the 90's to wear the AIDS ribbon, I don't think the people wearing them were really educated the reason why, it was the thing to do.

I don't wear an actual poppy, I have one of the bands now as I always lost my poppy and this way I know I can always wear it, doesn't matter what I'm wearing but to some it probably looks like I don't care when I actually really do

G x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

When they represent their country on armistice day, yes.i disagree, when i want to see the meaning of the poppy i take myself of to meinigate shortly after remembrance day. Whether 22 men run around a pitch wearing one makes not one iota of difference to me

I can't see what your problem is with our teams wearing the Poppy. Everyone else in the country who chooses to wear a Poppy and there is no Health & Safety reason why they can't are free to do so. Why is it unreasonable to want to wear the Poppy with pride when you play for your country? "

i dont have a problem. If they could wear one it would be nice. My problem is the people up in arms about the fact that they cant wear one. Now they are bloody football players, if they as individuals are so concerned they can either boycott the match or wear the poppy and take whatever fine is imposed

over a year ago

It's a choice to wear it and support it, which the majority of us do, and no doubt the majority of the players do, having worn poppies last weekend, laying wreaths etc, so the fact they may not wear it for a couple of hours at 'work' should not make that much difference and those that choose not to wear one such as James McClean should be free to do so without being vilified for it annually.

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

The players should wear a poppy.

However in the news today fifa say they have never said a poppy can't be worn. They say we asked if we could wear it. They only said, political and religious symbols can't be worn. That's it. They say it would be up to a disciplinary board to decide if it was, and if it was even passed to discipline in the first place. Both big 'ifs'

I would wear one regardless, but it seems to be a non existant storm in an imaginary teacup...

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

I can't see what your problem is with our teams wearing the Poppy. Everyone else in the country who chooses to wear a Poppy and there is no Health & Safety reason why they can't are free to do so. Why is it unreasonable to want to wear the Poppy with pride when you play for your country? i dont have a problem. If they could wear one it would be nice. My problem is the people up in arms about the fact that they cant wear one. Now they are bloody football players, if they as individuals are so concerned they can either boycott the match or wear the poppy and take whatever fine is imposed"

Believe me I'm no football fan at all (wrong shape ball lol) but what gets my goat is being told by some foreigner that our teams can't show their version of respect on the actual day of Remembrance.

I would have loved to see the match boycott and watch FIFA squirm.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I can't see what your problem is with our teams wearing the Poppy. Everyone else in the country who chooses to wear a Poppy and there is no Health & Safety reason why they can't are free to do so. Why is it unreasonable to want to wear the Poppy with pride when you play for your country? i dont have a problem. If they could wear one it would be nice. My problem is the people up in arms about the fact that they cant wear one. Now they are bloody football players, if they as individuals are so concerned they can either boycott the match or wear the poppy and take whatever fine is imposed

Believe me I'm no football fan at all (wrong shape ball lol) but what gets my goat is being told by some foreigner that our teams can't show their version of respect on the actual day of Remembrance.

I would have loved to see the match boycott and watch FIFA squirm. "

personally, yes it would have been nice to see them united. But my arguement is everyone has such strong feelings about it. Its an england v scotland game. If the players actually cared that much why didnt they boycott it and the fact that people think it would of made that much difference to remembrance day. Watching a bunch of footballers running around wearing a poppy wouldnt make any difference to me

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

When my son was in the air cadets his favourite thing was selling the poppies as all the old men used to go up to them and tell them there stories and on the remembrance parade the oldies used to turn up on their mobility scooters and ride along side the young cadets bringing generations together

By *r ed300Man
over a year ago

bradford

"You will see the poppy for the England Scotland game, weather FIFA say they can or not"

By *r ed300Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I think perhaps some of those valiant individuals who fought and died in their a sacrifice without equal would be disappointed people today are squabbling about a flower....

I like to think proud that we CAN squabble about a flower, because we can use the freedom of speech they secured for us "

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

I like to think proud that we CAN squabble about a flower, because we can use the freedom of speech they secured for us"

I like to think the best way to honour their sacrifice would be to stop keep sending more lads off to be maimed and killed rather than shame people into pinning a poppy onto their tit

By *utterflyandArtificeCouple
over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

I sell Poppies every year; I did a little over 22 years in and got out a little older, a lot wiser and largely unscathed; some of my brothers and sister fell, some got injured, and some are still fighting their demons long after Ops have finished.

My take on it is that it is a personal choice. There are some who have served and refuse to wear a poppy for whatever reason. The choice is exactly that; a right which has been preserved by the fallen and should you choose to honour it then it is your choice.

A national team reflects the attitude of the nation; our nation remembers and chooses to pay homage to the fallen, and so it is only right that the home nations wear a poppy - and if individuals dont want to, then clearly they should not play in this auspiscious match. It is after all being played on Armistice Day, when we as a nation remember our fallen.

All gave some - some gave all.

over a year ago

How many of the 22 actually WANT to wear it as opposed to HAVING to wear it because the FA says the must.

I see so many people vilified for choosing not to wear one but choosing to remember in a different way. Didn't our war heroes and veterans die to give us the freedom of choice?

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

" and if individuals dont want to, then clearly they should not play in this auspiscious match."

Why not?

over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

Clearly you did not read what I typed:

1. Today is Armistice Day.

2. On Armistice Day, we home Nations pay homage to our Fallen.

3. The National Team is of the Nation and therefore should respect the fact that it is Armistice Day.

4. The choice, IMHO, therefore is play and wear a Poppy or don't.

5. Freedom of choice and Nation's Remembrance also preserved.

QED

Clearly I respect that you might have a differing opinion and that is yours to have- preserved, as I alluded to previously, by men and women willing to out themselves in harms way to maintain the freedoms you are afforded in our society.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I like to think proud that we CAN squabble about a flower, because we can use the freedom of speech they secured for us

I like to think the best way to honour their sacrifice would be to stop keep sending more lads off to be maimed and killed rather than shame people into pinning a poppy onto their tit"

but the difference is people chose to fight for their country today. Noone forces them to join up. People join up knowing what to expect

over a year ago

Yes. Very much so.

over a year ago

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

There's a lot to be said for jingoism.

It certainly keeps people deluded and spouting venom at those who see things differently.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"How many of the 22 actually WANT to wear it as opposed to HAVING to wear it because the FA says the must.

I see so many people vilified for choosing not to wear one but choosing to remember in a different way. Didn't our war heroes and veterans die to give us the freedom of choice? "

I have been secretly wondering whether any of the papers would have had anyone scouting out to see how many of the teams turned up to the ground wearing poppies. Or how many will be wearing them on Sunday.

I don't see them being forced to wear a poppy as honouring the fallen at all.

Mr ddc

over a year ago

I'm ex forces, I used to feel such pride in taking part at memorial parades to remember those who have sacrificed for us, even when I was a kid taking part, it gave me enormous pride to honour them.

I can't wear a poppy at work, specially the pin ones, for safety reasons. However I do wear a couple of bands on my wrist, nobody would make me not wear them.

Sad to hear the Welsh fa won't be allowing their players to wear poppy armbands.

Should be wearing them with pride.

over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

So they knew they might get killed, or maimed doing a shitty job, for peanuts and that's ok then because thats what the forces do and they knew that before they joined?

To say that, ah well they knew the risk, is very laissez faire, and came across as extremely dismissive.

Considering many lads who joined up to fight in WW1 were also volunteers.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"Clearly you did not read what I typed:

3. The National Team is of the Nation and therefore should respect the fact that it is Armistice Day.

QED

Clearly I respect that you might have a differing opinion and that is yours to have- preserved, as I alluded to previously, by men and women willing to out themselves in harms way to maintain the freedoms you are afforded in our society. "

I did

1. I know

2. I know that too

3. Didn't you hear the Last Post before kick off?

4. Doesn't tally with 5.

Is wearing a white poppy acceptable to you or should I use my freedom to do as I'm told?

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

I like to think the best way to honour their sacrifice would be to stop keep sending more lads off to be maimed and killed rather than shame people into pinning a poppy onto their titbut the difference is people chose to fight for their country today. Noone forces them to join up. People join up knowing what to expect"

So does the government of the day

over a year ago

TROWBRIDGE

As long as you wear a Poppy and have donated to the cause feel free to wear whatever colour you like; the important thing is you wear one.

There are of course purple poppies too should you wish also to remember the animals which have died during Conflict.

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

"When my son was in the air cadets his favourite thing was selling the poppies as all the old men used to go up to them and tell them there stories and on the remembrance parade the oldies used to turn up on their mobility scooters and ride along side the young cadets bringing generations together"

That's what it's all about right there

I've been invited into my sisters school next Friday to show them my medals. They are 7/8 year olds and my sister is their teacher. She has been doing a wee project about Remembrance and did a PowerPoint presentation using some of my photos and it's really stirred their interest.

We must keep the act of Remembrance alive.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"So they knew they might get killed, or maimed doing a shitty job, for peanuts and that's ok then because thats what the forces do and they knew that before they joined?

To say that, ah well they knew the risk, is very laissez faire, and came across as extremely dismissive.

Considering many lads who joined up to fight in WW1 were also volunteers."

it may sound dissmisive to you but it isnt to me. I respect everyone who choses to fight for our country, however it is a chosen profession, a career choice. It maybe peanuts when they sign up but i dont know anyone whose come out of the forces after 22 years that live on peanuts.

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

I agree with you. Bloody stupid.

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

"So they knew they might get killed, or maimed doing a shitty job, for peanuts and that's ok then because thats what the forces do and they knew that before they joined?

Considering many lads who joined up to fight in WW1 were also volunteers."

Thank you, exactly what I was going to say!

For anyone to say, 'Oh well you join the forces so you get what's coming to you, or you should expect it' is clearly coming from someone who hasn't served a day in their life.

over a year ago

"I sell Poppies every year; I did a little over 22 years in and got out a little older, a lot wiser and largely unscathed; some of my brothers and sister fell, some got injured, and some are still fighting their demons long after Ops have finished.

My take on it is that it is a personal choice. There are some who have served and refuse to wear a poppy for whatever reason. The choice is exactly that; a right which has been preserved by the fallen and should you choose to honour it then it is your choice.

A national team reflects the attitude of the nation; our nation remembers and chooses to pay homage to the fallen, and so it is only right that the home nations wear a poppy - and if individuals dont want to, then clearly they should not play in this auspiscious match. It is after all being played on Armistice Day, when we as a nation remember our fallen.

All gave some - some gave all."

over a year ago

"The players should wear a poppy.

However in the news today fifa say they have never said a poppy can't be worn. They say we asked if we could wear it. They only said, political and religious symbols can't be worn. That's it. They say it would be up to a disciplinary board to decide if it was, and if it was even passed to discipline in the first place. Both big 'ifs'

I would wear one regardless, but it seems to be a non existant storm in an imaginary teacup..."

over a year ago

"Clearly you did not read what I typed:

QED

Clearly I respect that you might have a differing opinion and that is yours to have- preserved, as I alluded to previously, by men and women willing to out themselves in harms way to maintain the freedoms you are afforded in our society. "

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"As long as you wear a Poppy and have donated to the cause feel free to wear whatever colour you like; the important thing is you wear one.

There are of course purple poppies too should you wish also to remember the animals which have died during Conflict.

"

so is it more important to wear a poppy than visit meningate or teingate.

I wasnt wearing my poppy brooch yesterday as id changed my coat. So because i was poppyless that was important

over a year ago

"As long as you wear a Poppy and have donated to the cause feel free to wear whatever colour you like; the important thing is you wear one.

so is it more important to wear a poppy than visit meningate "

Wearing the poppy.

over a year ago

Lyndhurst

[Removed by poster at 11/11/16 20:49:24]

over a year ago

If we have the right to demand we can wear symbols that we consider to be important to our beliefs/values/heritage we have to accept that other nations have the right to do the same.

And this is where the shit starts.

I can understand why Fifa would want to avoid that.

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

I wasnt wearing my poppy brooch yesterday as id changed my coat. So because i was poppyless that was important"

It doesn't matter if you wear your Poppy or not, you show your respect. You changed your jacket, that's life, not a sin lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

so is it more important to wear a poppy than visit meningate

Wearing the poppy. "

i find that very interesting. Not because i disagree with you(which i do) but because i genuinely cant see why just wearing a poppy can educate people

over a year ago

I don't think the important thing is that you wear a poppy.

The important thing is to spend a little time thinking of and being grateful for the people who sacrificed so much for our liberty.

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

"If we have the right to demand we can wear symbols that we consider to be important to our beliefs/values/heritage we have to accept that other nations have the right to do the same.

I can understand why Fifa would want to avoid that."

Well bollocks to FIFA.....it was a home nations game, played in Britain ????

over a year ago

"If we have the right to demand we can wear symbols that we consider to be important to our beliefs/values/heritage we have to accept that other nations have the right to do the same.

Well bollocks to FIFA.....it was a home nations game, played in Britain ???? "

Under their rules. Don't like it, don't play.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I wasnt wearing my poppy brooch yesterday as id changed my coat. So because i was poppyless that was important

It doesn't matter if you wear your Poppy or not, you show your respect. You changed your jacket, that's life, not a sin lol "

but the other poster was saying how important it is to wear one

over a year ago

Lyndhurst

Well bollocks to FIFA.....it was a home nations game, played in Britain ???? "

over a year ago

The important thing is the sentiment.

Nobody should have to wear one if they don't want to. If you feel that remembering the fallen is important then you should this in whatever way you feel comfortable. That said, it's fine if you don't, it's a personal thing.

I'd rather you didn't ram your thoughts down my throat, but I'll certainly respect your right to your own beliefs and opinions.

As for football, I get where FIFA are coming from, but so fucking what? It doesn't alter my thoughts on the matter. I mean, for fuck's sake, one of the FA's primarily sources of advertising revenue comes from Mars bars. Are they really the beacons of moral robustness?

Finally, and to put an end to this little rant, of you feel it's appropriate and do (or don't) want to wear a poppy, consider donating a couple of pounds to the British Legion. Or don't. We're in quite the enviable position of haven't the right to chose.

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

It doesn't matter if you wear your Poppy or not, you show your respect. You changed your jacket, that's life, not a sin lol but the other poster was saying how important it is to wear one"

Bollocks, your heart is in the right place and just changed your jacket.....no drama with that whatsoever Xx

over a year ago

I'm Irish, in 2014 I found out that I had a relative killed in action in Northern France, fighting with the British army.. My great grandfather fought in France being wounded out in 1916.. Most of this was kept secret or wasn't spoken about, because Ireland was starting it fight for independence from the old British empire.. It was a long dirty fight that lasted years. Both sides committed what we would consider war crimes today.. Since 2014 the 100 anniversary of ww1 there has being an awaking in my country to find out what happened in those war years and I'm proud to say that I wear a metal poppy pin from October to November to honour my relatives and my country men who believed that they were doing the right thing in fighting for the freedom of small nations with the British army.. I have being asked to remove the pin at work ( I work in the public services) and I have refused.. I have being physically threatened, but I refused to remove it.. I'm saying stick to your guns, if you believe in what the poppy stands for...

By *reygorCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

"I'm ex forces, I used to feel such pride in taking part at memorial parades to remember those who have sacrificed for us, even when I was a kid taking part, it gave me enormous pride to honour them.

I can't wear a poppy at work, specially the pin ones, for safety reasons. However I do wear a couple of bands on my wrist, nobody would make me not wear them.

Sad to hear the Welsh fa won't be allowing their players to wear poppy armbands.

Should be wearing them with pride."

here here.i to am ex forces done my bit in areas that lots knew about .falklands ect done bits in not known areas too.got back many did not to try and make this country a bit safer place for all kids to grow up in .same as they did 100 years ago.wear it with pride weather playing football doin school run [and on here making love to who ever]let no one try to stop the wearing of the poppy.

over a year ago

Last year I had the honour to meet , totally by accident I might add the last remaining pilot from the damm busters , what a proud lovely man . Any of our armed forces members should be held with the utmost respect and admiration and should be acknowledged as hero's, so some dickhead who dosent even live here shouldn't have the right to tell us not to honor out own

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

"Last year I had the honour to meet , totally by accident I might add the last remaining pilot from the damm busters , what a proud lovely man . Any of our armed forces members should be held with the utmost respect and admiration and should be acknowledged as hero's, so some dickhead who dosent even live here shouldn't have the right to tell us not to honor out own "

Exactly

over a year ago

"I don't think the important thing is that you wear a poppy.

The important thing is to spend a little time thinking of and being grateful for the people who sacrificed so much for our liberty."

I do wear a poppy, but for me you have summed it up perfectly..

over a year ago

"For me it's not so much them wearing a poppy for 90 minutes as they run around, more why the fuck should they take it off for those 90 minutes..."

Calm down Mussolini, your beginning to sound a bit doctorial over it all!.

over a year ago

Its not just the wearing of a poppy...but the everday person in the street buying them,which generates funds for the Royal British Legion

I wonder if they have some kind of trade mark for the poppy on team kit...and that these multi million pound sports clubs and national teams are also donating something to the RBL whilst wearing the poppy

I also noted on the news before England V Scotland game the rules makers were saying wearing poppies is not band,but if worn,may be illegal...clear as mud then

over a year ago

Considering many lads who joined up to fight in WW1 were also volunteers.it may sound dissmisive to you but it isnt to me. I respect everyone who choses to fight for our country, however it is a chosen profession, a career choice. It maybe peanuts when they sign up but i dont know anyone whose come out of the forces after 22 years that live on peanuts."

What a load of tripe. I had a close friend killed in Iraq and another in Afghan I've also had a friend take his own life due to ptsd.

I don't know how you can say they know what they are getting into. It's a very different job now to what it was 10 year ago never mind back in the two great wars. So they can't possibly know what they are getting g into

over a year ago

I think I'm right in saying conscription ended in 1960-1963 ...

Those in service since that time are volunteers....

over a year ago

"Another year, another daily mail campaign....

If the poppy is PERCEIVED (rightly or wrongly) as a political symbol, then under the rules of FIFA (that the four home nations have 80% of a say in), it's not allowed.

The debate should be about how we as a global society come up with a way of respecting those to gave their lives in conflict in an apolitical way.

"

over a year ago

"it is only FIFA that is stopping the home nations having a poppy on the football jersey. They regard it as a political statement and therefore is banned. FIFA have is a real issue with the home nations Football Assocs. especially the English FA. Their bias is clearly demonstrated in the fact that they allowed Argentina to display a political banner regarding the Falklands Islands before a game a few years ago without sanction but refuse to back down on the wearing of a poppy.

The boys will be wearing an armband with it on tomorrow evening but it should be sewn in to the jersey as it is in club level games."

And this is the problem. The wearing of the poppy is seen as a political statement when it's actually a symbol of peace and why war is never the answer. Too many groups and individuals fail to understand the relevance of the poppy and what it really symbolises.

Post new Message to Thread