Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Laser eye surgery?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Have worn contacts for a gazillion years but the last year or so been having more & more problems with them and eyes get sore & irritated. Have switched contact type etc but not much change...and whilst I dont mind wearing my specs now & then, would rather not all the time....so been thinking about laser eye surgery but confess to being a little freaked by the procedure (been told you can smell burning whilst being zapped )

Has anyone had it? Good or bad idea? Tell me to stop being a wuss & just do it??!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Have worn contacts for a gazillion years but the last year or so been having more & more problems with them and eyes get sore & irritated. Have switched contact type etc but not much change...and whilst I dont mind wearing my specs now & then, would rather not all the time....so been thinking about laser eye surgery but confess to being a little freaked by the procedure (been told you can smell burning whilst being zapped )

Has anyone had it? Good or bad idea? Tell me to stop being a wuss & just do it??!"

I wear glasses or contact lenses, have considered laser eye surgery but decided against it. Had other cosmetic proceedures done though.

over a year ago

My son had it just over a year ago it was great he didn't complain about anything not even the procedure itself and his eyesight is 100% perfect now. My little sister had it too and a friend of mine and they never complained about anything either they are all ecstatic with the results.

over a year ago

"Have worn contacts for a gazillion years but the last year or so been having more & more problems with them and eyes get sore & irritated. Have switched contact type etc but not much change...and whilst I dont mind wearing my specs now & then, would rather not all the time....so been thinking about laser eye surgery but confess to being a little freaked by the procedure (been told you can smell burning whilst being zapped )

Has anyone had it? Good or bad idea? Tell me to stop being a wuss & just do it??!

I wear glasses or contact lenses, have considered laser eye surgery but decided against it. Had other cosmetic proceedures done though. "

Why did you decide against it? Cost is another factor for me too

By *osweet69Couple
over a year ago

portsmouth

Has anyone had it? Good or bad idea? Tell me to stop being a wuss & just do it??!"

Stop being a wuss and do it.

over a year ago

"My son had it just over a year ago it was great he didn't complain about anything not even the procedure itself and his eyesight is 100% perfect now. My little sister had it too and a friend of mine and they never complained about anything either they are all ecstatic with the results."

Oh that's good that all of them are pleased with it...do you know where they had it done, was it all the same place?

over a year ago

Has anyone had it? Good or bad idea? Tell me to stop being a wuss & just do it??! Stop being a wuss and do it. "

Haha thanks, I needed that

over a year ago

That last emoji was supposed to be a ...clearly I need the surgery sooner rather than later!!

By *osweet69Couple
over a year ago

portsmouth

"That last emoji was supposed to be a ...clearly I need the surgery sooner rather than later!!"
you do Get it booked

over a year ago

I wear glasses or contact lenses, have considered laser eye surgery but decided against it. Had other cosmetic proceedures done though.

Why did you decide against it? Cost is another factor for me too "

Cost and the need for it redoing again. And also you only get one pair of eyes, you can fix other botched surgery but not eyes.

over a year ago

"That last emoji was supposed to be a ...clearly I need the surgery sooner rather than later!! you do Get it booked "

But do research the risks first.

over a year ago

"

Cost and the need for it redoing again. And also you only get one pair of eyes, you can fix other botched surgery but not eyes. "

That worries me too...esp as I don't know anyone who it went wrong for...instead of reassuring me I just think its bound to be me who it turns into a horror story for!

By *gnes Loves AnalWoman
over a year ago

Kingstanding

Careful where you go they are not all the same ones and its worth paying more for a good one.

over a year ago

"

Cost and the need for it redoing again. And also you only get one pair of eyes, you can fix other botched surgery but not eyes.

That worries me too...esp as I don't know anyone who it went wrong for...instead of reassuring me I just think its bound to be me who it turns into a horror story for! "

Sorry I wasn't meaning to put you off, these are exactly the reasons why I'm sticking with glasses and contact lenses. Xx

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

I had it done in 2008, best money I ever spent. I used Optimax and they had open days so you could go and see what it was like. Aftercare was superb and eight and a half years later still have 20/20 vision in one eye and 19/20 in thr other. Plus I rarely need to wear glasses for reading which I did before.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

As we age we develop presbyopia. What that means is that the muscles in the eye start to lose some of their elasticity so cannot make the lens flex as well, meaning that our ability to focus on small things close up is reduced. Hence we need reading glasses.

Laser surgery reshapes the cornea to correct distance vision, the only way for it to correct presbyopia is mono vision. One eye is corrected for distance and the other for near vision. This isn't done very often. For most people having laser surgery you will need glasses for reading as you age. One of the side effects of laser correction is dry eyes.

If you are presbyopic and are looking into surgery the lastest technology is lens implants. The procedure is somewhat similar to cataract removal and a special type of artificial lens is inserted in its place. The long term effects and prognosis of this type of correction is as yet unknown. I have met two people at work who have had it done. One is extremely happy with the results, the other is in the process of sueing his surgeon as he has had 4 procedures so far to correct his vision and a year down the line he still can't see properly.

over a year ago

"I had it done in 2008, best money I ever spent. I used Optimax and they had open days so you could go and see what it was like. Aftercare was superb and eight and a half years later still have 20/20 vision in one eye and 19/20 in thr other. Plus I rarely need to wear glasses for reading which I did before. "

over a year ago

"As we age we develop presbyopia. What that means is that the muscles in the eye start to lose some of their elasticity so cannot make the lens flex as well, meaning that our ability to focus on small things close up is reduced. Hence we need reading glasses.

Laser surgery reshapes the cornea to correct distance vision, the only way for it to correct presbyopia is mono vision. One eye is corrected for distance and the other for near vision. This isn't done very often. For most people having laser surgery you will need glasses for reading as you age. One of the side effects of laser correction is dry eyes.

If you are presbyopic and are looking into surgery the lastest technology is lens implants. The procedure is somewhat similar to cataract removal and a special type of artificial lens is inserted in its place. The long term effects and prognosis of this type of correction is as yet unknown. I have met two people at work who have had it done. One is extremely happy with the results, the other is in the process of sueing his surgeon as he has had 4 procedures so far to correct his vision and a year down the line he still can't see properly. "

Am guessing you work in this field?! Im short sighted so only need for distance but currently not reading...tho not getting any younger so who knows.

Thank you for the detailed reply

over a year ago

I had it done 3 and half years ago to correct short sight -7.5 both eyes and a slight astigmatism. The procedure is a little uncomfortable, the smell you can smell is apparently not burning and isn't unpleasant.

I'd looked into it several years previously but the cost was very prohibitive at the time considering my prescription and that I would need reading glasses afterwards-however, i'd started to need them previously anyway even with contacts because of my age. Then Optical Express had an offer on that made it virtually half price and I had someone to support me through it...

I was lucky, I haven't had any difficult side effects, no dry eyes, no halo when driving at night and no glare. I won't lie and say it's been all roses. Because of just how short sighted I was, it did take me a really long time to adjust to the actual experience of being able to see...funny as that sounds. All those little habits that I had to compensate for my short sight had to change and I actually had to think about seeing rather than it coming naturally because my brain had to relearn how it processed the information my eyes were giving it...I hated having to wear reading glasses and still do but was going to need them anyway and after 30+ years of contact lens wear, my corneas were starting to show some wear and tear, not to mention the ulcer i'd given myself some years previously.

I still struggle sometimes in low light conditions but the deep and abiding joy of opening my eyes and being able to see the gorgeous face of my beloved as soon as I do and the incredible detail of my sight in the daytime, particularly in bright sunshine is indescribable.

I actually cried when I sat up on the bed after my treatment because I could see face of the nurse who assisted the surgeon when previously I couldn't see anything unless it was inches from my nose. I used to feel utterly lost and socially isolated on occasions when I couldn't wear my glasses or lenses because I couldn't read faces and couldn't "hear" people properly in loud places...crazy I know...

And you know what i'm not ashamed to admit is that I'm vain too. To get rid of glasses that made my eye look little and piggy. To experiment with make up that I was never able to do before and to have several pairs of designer sunglasses that I can buy on impulse, off the peg at the airport to choose from without great big heavy lenses in them to spoil the design is awesome because no matter how "thin and lightweight" the lenses are-they're still pretty thick around the edges and cost a fecking fortune

The benefits for me outweighed the drawbacks enormously...

over a year ago

"I had it done 3 and half years ago to correct short sight -7.5 both eyes and a slight astigmatism. The procedure is a little uncomfortable, the smell you can smell is apparently not burning and isn't unpleasant.

I'd looked into it several years previously but the cost was very prohibitive at the time considering my prescription and that I would need reading glasses afterwards-however, i'd started to need them previously anyway even with contacts because of my age. Then Optical Express had an offer on that made it virtually half price and I had someone to support me through it...

I was lucky, I haven't had any difficult side effects, no dry eyes, no halo when driving at night and no glare. I won't lie and say it's been all roses. Because of just how short sighted I was, it did take me a really long time to adjust to the actual experience of being able to see...funny as that sounds. All those little habits that I had to compensate for my short sight had to change and I actually had to think about seeing rather than it coming naturally because my brain had to relearn how it processed the information my eyes were giving it...I hated having to wear reading glasses and still do but was going to need them anyway and after 30+ years of contact lens wear, my corneas were starting to show some wear and tear, not to mention the ulcer i'd given myself some years previously.

I still struggle sometimes in low light conditions but the deep and abiding joy of opening my eyes and being able to see the gorgeous face of my beloved as soon as I do and the incredible detail of my sight in the daytime, particularly in bright sunshine is indescribable.

I actually cried when I sat up on the bed after my treatment because I could see face of the nurse who assisted the surgeon when previously I couldn't see anything unless it was inches from my nose. I used to feel utterly lost and socially isolated on occasions when I couldn't wear my glasses or lenses because I couldn't read faces and couldn't "hear" people properly in loud places...crazy I know...

And you know what i'm not ashamed to admit is that I'm vain too. To get rid of glasses that made my eye look little and piggy. To experiment with make up that I was never able to do before and to have several pairs of designer sunglasses that I can buy on impulse, off the peg at the airport to choose from without great big heavy lenses in them to spoil the design is awesome because no matter how "thin and lightweight" the lenses are-they're still pretty thick around the edges and cost a fecking fortune

"

This post has made me smile like a loon as its so obvious what a massively positive impact this had on your life! Thank you for sharing xx

over a year ago

Had it back in 2008 when it was less researched. Best thing I ever did. Yeah you can smell the the 'heat' per se, but no pain no gain in my opinion. It lasted a couple of minutes, I went home wearing goggles, woke up the next day and had 20/20 vision. It was that simple!

over a year ago

Why did you decide against it? Cost is another factor for me too

Cost and the need for it redoing again. And also you only get one pair of eyes, you can fix other botched surgery but not eyes. "

What if what if...I've never heard of this happening?

over a year ago

Had it back in 2008 when it was less researched. Best thing I ever did. Yeah you can smell the the 'heat' per se, but no pain no gain in my opinion. It lasted a couple of minutes, I went home wearing goggles, woke up the next day and had 20/20 vision. It was that simple!"

Definitely more positive stories than negative....hmmmm a consultation is on the cards me thinks!

over a year ago

I had surgery 20 years ago and it worked for me...it can be painful and stingy eyes the recovery period of a few days but it is great to finally wake up and read your alarm clock without squinting!

Go for it! My eyesight great now!

over a year ago

"I had surgery 20 years ago and it worked for me...it can be painful and stingy eyes the recovery period of a few days but it is great to finally wake up and read your alarm clock without squinting!

Go for it! My eyesight great now!"

over a year ago

I had laser surgery about 15 years ago and the best money I've ever spent. You can smell burning but it's no big deal. It is quite painful afterwards but the improvement is well worth it. Go for it!!!

over a year ago

"I had it done 3 and half years ago to correct short sight -7.5 both eyes and a slight astigmatism. The procedure is a little uncomfortable, the smell you can smell is apparently not burning and isn't unpleasant.

This post has made me smile like a loon as its so obvious what a massively positive impact this had on your life! Thank you for sharing xx "

You're welcome. The consultation is free and I never felt any pressure. They were completely honest and open with me about all of the risks. Nothing to lose by getting some information. They might even tell you that you're unsuitable. that happened to a friend of mine because their cornea was too thin to be able to form a flap.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I had mine done 16 years ago, the best thing I have ever done.

The only downside I suffer from now is dry eye, which is easily helped with viscotears

over a year ago

hello mr here i had the exact same problem and took the plunge of having it done about 8 years or plus ago the smell you can smell is of burning hair like singeing your hair,

It hurts after a bit i aint gonna lie but as they say no pain no gain

I was in an out within 20 mins id say it all the tests that they take to begin with to make sure you can have it done is what takes the time hope that helps

Ps .... stop being a wuss and just do it

By *imonTMan
over a year ago

hayes

Glad somebody else had similar experiences. Did you sometimes find yourself looking for your glasses and then think....'I can see!' I also found colours looked much brighter.

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

"Glad somebody else had similar experiences. Did you sometimes find yourself looking for your glasses and then think....'I can see!' I also found colours looked much brighter."

No, I kept trying them on and thinking god I can't see with these

over a year ago

Thank you for all the advice & positive stories...will get booked in for a consultation & go from there...

By *imonTMan
over a year ago

hayes

[Removed by poster at 10/11/16 18:50:24]

By *imonTMan
over a year ago

hayes

Kept mine for a souvenir. Kind of enjoy wearing sunglasses now actually.....oh - and of course it's nice to be able to see what I'm licking.....

"Glad somebody else had similar experiences. Did you sometimes find yourself looking for your glasses and then think....'I can see!' I also found colours looked much brighter.

No, I kept trying them on and thinking god I can't see with these "

over a year ago

Yup. I did. One of the best things I have ever done.. amazing results.

over a year ago

Had it back in 2008 when it was less researched. Best thing I ever did. Yeah you can smell the the 'heat' per se, but no pain no gain in my opinion. It lasted a couple of minutes, I went home wearing goggles, woke up the next day and had 20/20 vision. It was that simple!

Definitely more positive stories than negative....hmmmm a consultation is on the cards me thinks!"

Ignore those who say it's painful. I've not experienced anything of the sort. Maybe 15-20 years ago it was different but mine was 8 years ago and never looked back - literally!

When I think about all the things my poor eyesight was restricting me with before, I can't believe I walked the planet blind for so long.

over a year ago

I've had it done. My ophthalmologist has also had it done himself.

One thing to bear in mind is that the people who had this done a long time ago (15-20 years ago) will have had a procedure which has now been superseded by one which is more minimal and has far less post-op pain.

over a year ago

"Glad somebody else had similar experiences. Did you sometimes find yourself looking for your glasses and then think....'I can see!' I also found colours looked much brighter."

It's like seeing in HD in bright sunlight...I could see number plates on cars the next morning where I'd have previously struggled to see the cars

over a year ago

"Glad somebody else had similar experiences. Did you sometimes find yourself looking for your glasses and then think....'I can see!' I also found colours looked much brighter.

It's like seeing in HD in bright sunlight...I could see number plates on cars the next morning where I'd have previously struggled to see the cars"

Yes! It's like going from your favourite much seen film on VHS straight to BluRay. For a couple of weeks driving freaked me out, as I could see every leaf on every tree...however I can't see very well close up, so it is a trade off. (I was told this would happen)

The procedure itself doesn't hurt. There is slight discomfort with the clamp that holds your eye still. The laser 'burns' the surface of the eye...the smell is akin to rancid pork, but it lasts for a few seconds. Afterwards it's like having welders flash. Take some paracetamol, use the anaesthetic eye drops and have a couple of hours sleep..the teaser bag strainer things you put over your eyes when you sleep do make you look like a tit though.

over a year ago

It's like seeing in HD in bright sunlight...I could see number plates on cars the next morning where I'd have previously struggled to see the cars

Yes! It's like going from your favourite much seen film on VHS straight to BluRay. For a couple of weeks driving freaked me out, as I could see every leaf on every tree...however I can't see very well close up, so it is a trade off. (I was told this would happen)

The procedure itself doesn't hurt. There is slight discomfort with the clamp that holds your eye still. The laser 'burns' the surface of the eye...the smell is akin to rancid pork, but it lasts for a few seconds. Afterwards it's like having welders flash. Take some paracetamol, use the anaesthetic eye drops and have a couple of hours sleep..the teaser bag strainer things you put over your eyes when you sleep do make you look like a tit though. "

I kept mine because it made me look like The Fly...

over a year ago

The procedure itself doesn't hurt. There is slight discomfort with the clamp that holds your eye still. The laser 'burns' the surface of the eye...the smell is akin to rancid pork, but it lasts for a few seconds. Afterwards it's like having welders flash. Take some paracetamol, use the anaesthetic eye drops and have a couple of hours sleep..the teaser bag strainer things you put over your eyes when you sleep do make you look like a tit though.

I kept mine because it made me look like The Fly... "

over a year ago

Like all surgery it's not without risks, I know a number of people who have had it done and of these only one was unsuccessful and they have been left with eyesight worse than before the procedure

over a year ago

The procedure itself doesn't hurt. There is slight discomfort with the clamp that holds your eye still. The laser 'burns' the surface of the eye...the smell is akin to rancid pork, but it lasts for a few seconds. Afterwards it's like having welders flash. Take some paracetamol, use the anaesthetic eye drops and have a couple of hours sleep..the teaser bag strainer things you put over your eyes when you sleep do make you look like a tit though. "

A tad dramatic. Honestly OP there is nothing to it. Do it!

over a year ago

We have found that the effects start to wear off. Mr had it done 10 years ago and is back to wearing contacts or glasses.

over a year ago

I have been thinking about this for a very long time, but I am scared as I only have one pair of eyes. The benefits do seem to outweigh the drawbacks though. I've booked in to an open evening

over a year ago

"We have found that the effects start to wear off. Mr had it done 10 years ago and is back to wearing contacts or glasses. "

That's natural as the eyesight will degenerate over time.

over a year ago

I was short-sighted and could never really tolerate contact lenses. Swimming was a problem as I couldn't see anything! I had it done around 10 years ago.....procedure was fine, felt a bit like a conveyer belt though. It was uncomfortable for a few days. My greatest fear was infection...but it was all good. No problems, and was the best money I've ever spent. Go for it!

By *ayman2002Man
over a year ago

Peterborough

"And you know what i'm not ashamed to admit is that I'm vain too. To get rid of glasses that made my eye look little and piggy. To experiment with make up that I was never able to do before and to have several pairs of designer sunglasses that I can buy on impulse, off the peg at the airport to choose from without great big heavy lenses in them to spoil the design is awesome because no matter how "thin and lightweight" the lenses are-they're still pretty thick around the edges and cost a fecking fortune

"

Never knew you before glasses, but have to say you're quite the little cracker without

Post new Message to Thread