Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Poppy fascism

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So following the storm in a tea-cup about white poppies

Apparently this year you can even buy commemorative poppy G-string/thongs ...

Is it disrespectful to drape your nether regions in this type of symbolism

Apparently the poppy pants carry the picture of a Poppy and the words "Keep Calm Remember".......

No money from the sale of the poppy pants goes to the RBL ......

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Tacky, horrible, just wrong on all levels.

By *rustratedinlondonMan
over a year ago

London

Can see why RBL haven't got an official g-string! Apart from that item don't see the problem with official RBL poppy proliferation!

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

If none of the money goes to the RBL then it's completely wrong, and to be honest I'd be surprised if the RBL would ever endorse something quite so tacky.

Problem is with sites like the auction one about there will always be people looking to cash in on things like this. There are any number of sellers on said auction site who every year sell pin badges with a poppy and a band or football team emblem combined of which they say part of the money from the sale is donated, but even then you have to question where the other part goes!!

By *est Wales WifeCouple
over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

I'm with 91 year old ex soldier Harry Leslie Smith (look him up)

who said he won’t wear a poppy to remember the war dead, but I “will lament their passing in private”. He said: “I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, or our morally dubious war on terror.”

If our government really cared about ex soldiers they would be providing for them properly not asking people for charity.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I'm with 91 year old ex soldier Harry Leslie Smith (look him up)

who said he won’t wear a poppy to remember the war dead, but I “will lament their passing in private”. He said: “I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, or our morally dubious war on terror.”

If our government really cared about ex soldiers they would be providing for them properly not asking people for charity."

Indeed.

By *rSuave88Man
over a year ago

Mirfield

"If none of the money goes to the RBL then it's completely wrong, and to be honest I'd be surprised if the RBL would ever endorse something quite so tacky.

Problem is with sites like the auction one about there will always be people looking to cash in on things like this. There are any number of sellers on said auction site who every year sell pin badges with a poppy and a band or football team emblem combined of which they say part of the money from the sale is donated, but even then you have to question where the other part goes!!"

I wear my RBL poppy but i also wear my Khanda poppy badge from the Khanda Poppy Foundation that commemorates the Sikh soldiers in the war. RBL isnt the only charity that sells poppys. But yeah to wear them on underwear is disrespectful.

over a year ago

As well as the red and white poppies, there are also purple poppies, which are sold to commemorate the animal victims of war ..

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I always feel the poppy fascism somewhat misses the point of what they died for.

But then I find the poppy snobbery odd too. "Ooh, look at mine, it's bigger", "Well mines shiny enamel", "Pfft, mine was hand-knitted by war-orphans who've had both their hands blown off juggling with cluster-bombs"

Life was simpler when we all just sported an identical poppy on Remembrance Sunday.

Mr ddc

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

"If none of the money goes to the RBL then it's completely wrong, and to be honest I'd be surprised if the RBL would ever endorse something quite so tacky.

Problem is with sites like the auction one about there will always be people looking to cash in on things like this. There are any number of sellers on said auction site who every year sell pin badges with a poppy and a band or football team emblem combined of which they say part of the money from the sale is donated, but even then you have to question where the other part goes!!

I wear my RBL poppy but i also wear my Khanda poppy badge from the Khanda Poppy Foundation that commemorates the Sikh soldiers in the war. RBL isnt the only charity that sells poppys. But yeah to wear them on underwear is disrespectful."

Oh I have no problem with other charities etc that benefit (genuinely didn't know about that one though but great cause) it's the auction site and similar sellers who are blatantly profiteering off the image that I object to.

over a year ago

"I always feel the poppy fascism somewhat misses the point of what they died for.

But then I find the poppy snobbery odd too. "Ooh, look at mine, it's bigger", "Well mines shiny enamel", "Pfft, mine was hand-knitted by war-orphans who've had both their hands blown off juggling with cluster-bombs"

Life was simpler when we all just sported an identical poppy on Remembrance Sunday.

Mr ddc"

I remember the felt poppies that were actually made by war veterans ..

over a year ago

Do you think they focuses grouped it before making them for sale. Asked 1000 people if given the option would they wear poppies on their under garments?

Or was it a natural evolution; people have roses on their pants to lie back and think of England sooo..... Why not.

Off how some one can come up with it

over a year ago

"Do you think they focuses grouped it before making them for sale. Asked 1000 people if given the option would they wear poppies on their under garments?

Or was it a natural evolution; people have roses on their pants to lie back and think of England sooo..... Why not.

Off how some one can come up with it "

That's the good old entrepreneurial spirit at work

Post new Message to Thread