Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

FA Cup Final Day

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's finally here... the season's finale.

Or it used to be!

The last game of the season was always the FA Cup Final. The programme of events used to start early in the morning with the teams being interviewed at their respective hotels during the morning, some sort of celeb football quiz, fun and games galore before watching the teams leave for Wembley around midday.

It used to be exciting regardless of whether your own team was competing in it or not but now the FA have totally fucked it up by not ensuring the season is over before the Cup Final and today there are four Premiership games at 12.45 that will finish at 2.30pm just 1/2 an hour before the final.

Then there is a full programme next weekend which will be the last match of the season.

It's such a shame that the FA have undermined it's own premium cup competition by not standing up to the Premier League Association and demanding that all matches in all four top flight divisions are concluded before the Cup Final.

Still, I'll be watching today and I'm plumping for Stoke to beat Man City 2-1.

But, United have to play Blackburn today and a point will seal a record 19th title so I'll rootin' 'n' tootin' for my beloved Utd at 12.45

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Yes it is a great shame The final is not the only game being played today.

Money speaks, having meaning less friendlys played through the season so wembley gets a few pay days!

Should be a close final though, and I would love to see Stoke win it, proving yet again, You cannot buy success!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've been told that the FA Cup final has to be now as FIFA have expressed that nothing should be played at Wembley for two weeks preceding the champions league final. Also affecting all the play-pffs.

Do agree with Wishy though, would love to go back to how it used to be, build up from early morning. Competitions who had the best banners etc, no-where near the excitement it used to be, shame really.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I also believe it's the same next year.

Will also be rooting for Stoke and after last weeks play against Arsenal, I hope Man City realise that they will not be a walkover.

Oh and yes, Man Utd to take todays match, will finally shut my brother up that Liverpool have more titles than Utd.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

..not for long

over a year ago

come on city

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

If united get there point today and city win the cup could you even imagine being in Manchester city centre tonight! The place will be rocking!

over a year ago

"come on city "
which city lol

over a year ago

"If united get there point today and city win the cup could you even imagine being in Manchester city centre tonight! The place will be rocking!"

there is also a sporting event in the city centre this weekend which has closed some of the main roads thru town. i will definately be giving the city centre a wide berth this wkend !

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple
over a year ago

wombourne

Another part of football will die today playing this cup final the same day as league games.The magic of the day will be lost.

I used to look forward to watching the cup final regardless of who was playing and enjoyed the full spectacle of it all from midday's build up to the final whistle.

On a lighter note come on Man City and dick them clayheads 5-0

over a year ago

why is f a cup final on the same day as the final league game of the season

is this due to champs league final

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"why is f a cup final on the same day as the final league game of the season

is this due to champs league final"

yes and no..... someone had it right above... uefa say that you cannot play at the venue as the champions league final 2 weeks before there game... so since it is two weeks time, this is the latest the game could be played...

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I also believe it's the same next year.

"

almost the same... instead of 3pm the fa cup final next year gets a 5.15pm kick off....

because of euro 2012 being right after the league finish, they decided to try and stuff in the FA cup final early....

over a year ago

"why is f a cup final on the same day as the final league game of the season

is this due to champs league final"

It isn't the last day of the season, that's next weekend.

Which was the point I made in the opening post: the FA have devalued their own premium cup competition by not taking the Premier League Association head on and telling them to have their league matches finished before the Cup Final.

But it's not just the Premier League who haven't finished their season. The lover division play-offs have yet to be concluded also.

I'd suggest moving the Cup Final to the last weekend of May, thereby guaranteeing that all domestic league matches will have been played.

As for Fifa dictating that Wembley shouldn't be used for two weeks prior to the CL Final.. fuck them, corrupt wankers. I hope England does leave Fifa and take a lot of other countries with them.

over a year ago

"I also believe it's the same next year.

almost the same... instead of 3pm the fa cup final next year gets a 5.15pm kick off...."

Another nail in it's coffin then.

A 5.15pm kick off with no replay could take it to near 8pm if it goes to penalties.

I wonder how many bridegrooms to be will be planning their weddings a bit more carefully next year.

By *INKKKYMan
over a year ago

LIVERPOOL/ WIRRAL

"It's finally here... the season's finale.

Or it used to be!

The last game of the season was always the FA Cup Final. The programme of events used to start early in the morning with the teams being interviewed at their respective hotels during the morning, some sort of celeb football quiz, fun and games galore before watching the teams leave for Wembley around midday.

It used to be exciting regardless of whether your own team was competing in it or not but now the FA have totally fucked it up by not ensuring the season is over before the Cup Final and today there are four Premiership games at 12.45 that will finish at 2.30pm just 1/2 an hour before the final.

Then there is a full programme next weekend which will be the last match of the season.

It's such a shame that the FA have undermined it's own premium cup competition by not standing up to the Premier League Association and demanding that all matches in all four top flight divisions are concluded before the Cup Final.

Still, I'll be watching today and I'm plumping for Stoke to beat Man City 2-1.

But, United have to play Blackburn today and a point will seal a record 19th title so I'll rootin' 'n' tootin' for my beloved Utd at 12.45 "

Booo!

over a year ago

" Booo! "

Erm... might have to wait another week for the 19th title.

Please Van de Sar... don't retire and leave us with fookin Kuzscak in goal.

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"

As for Fifa dictating that Wembley shouldn't be used for two weeks prior to the CL Final.. fuck them, corrupt wankers. I hope England does leave Fifa and take a lot of other countries with them."

err .. the CL is a UEFA event not FIFA

over a year ago

"

As for Fifa dictating that Wembley shouldn't be used for two weeks prior to the CL Final.. fuck them, corrupt wankers. I hope England does leave Fifa and take a lot of other countries with them.

err .. the CL is a UEFA event not FIFA"

UEFA is the biggest of six continental confederations of FIFA. All football worldwide at some point comes under the auspices of Fifa.

over a year ago

But you are correct, it was Uefa's insistence that no matches are to be played at Wembley for two weeks prior to the match.

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"But you are correct, it was Uefa's insistence that no matches are to be played at Wembley for two weeks prior to the match."

its not just Wembley; its every CL Final venue ...

and if countries want to host the final then surely, for that year only, it is a price worth paying ...

but why next year too??

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Today is a sad day for football and made me realize why i stopped following it. I was at one time the bigs football fanatic going, then became so disallutioned by what it had turned into.

over a year ago

"Today is a sad day for football and made me realize why i stopped following it. I was at one time the bigs football fanatic going, then became so disallutioned by what it had turned into."

Totally agree, not about the game anymore, more about how much money can be made, and it is indeed sad that some fans i know put football before family

over a year ago

a good day for manchester either way.

i try and stay impartial as regards the 2 big clubs in the city but it's good to see them both flying high at the minute.

it can only be good for the city !

over a year ago

I am very disillusioned with football and this caps it.

I'm surprised anyone watches it any more. Boring.

By *wingTheMoodMan
over a year ago

liverpool

FA Cup final day hasnt been the same since Saint and Greavsie got binned.

over a year ago

It was a mediocre game that to the uninformed could well have been mistaken for a lower league play off final. Some might argue that that was what it was in fact.

Good goal to win it, plenty of play acting from City, Stoke were shit as usual and only make the headlines if Shawcross breaks someone's leg.

5.15pm kick off next year. I hope someone I know is getting married and at 5pm the bride wonders why her reception has turned into a re-enactment of her hen night cos all the blokes will be in the public bar watching the footy.

over a year ago

What has happened to the tatty remnant known as our English football game?

The national team hasn't progressed an inch, the same 2 teams contest the title year in and year out and it costs 20 quid to watch 4th Division football.

Lord Sugar showed the parlous state of football's finances the other night but "the product" is healthy say the game's administrators.

The FA and Premier League have much to answer for. Debacles like the building of Wembley showed how incapable we are of completing a big project on time and on budget.

Meanwhile they now haven't even got Cup Final day left as a showpiece.

Very poor. Just like today's match.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"What has happened to the tatty remnant known as our English football game?

The national team hasn't progressed an inch, the same 2 teams contest the title year in and year out and it costs 20 quid to watch 4th Division football.

Lord Sugar showed the parlous state of football's finances the other night but "the product" is healthy say the game's administrators.

The FA and Premier League have much to answer for. Debacles like the building of Wembley showed how incapable we are of completing a big project on time and on budget.

Meanwhile they now haven't even got Cup Final day left as a showpiece.

Very poor. Just like today's match."

dont put to much emphasis on the state of the english game and the people who run it..get a few mates go to the games live rather than watch on sky have a few beers and a sing and forget about life and work for a few hours..off to arsenal to watch the villa sunday, last away game so fancy dress should be a ball

over a year ago

Great day for City. First on many pices of silverware i think.

Post new Message to Thread