Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rescuing bloody animals

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've come to the conclusion that I'm too bloody soft, I've rescued a dog, its an 8 month old Collie cross, it and two of her siblings had been abandoned in a house down the road, Her names Pippa.

The problem is my son is scared of dogs, so she is going to live with my daughter, her mother has said OK, on the condition that she takes full responsibility for her feeds and walks her and makes sure she gets to her vets appointments.

So far today in vets bills, food, training equipment, chew toys, and other "essential" stuff, I'm out of pocket by £312

I wouldn't mind, but its now not my dog, my daughter gets all the fun of being a dog owner, and I get to pay for it.

Bloody typical, kids and animals will be the financial ruin if me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Well duh!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep , you are too bloody soft .

Suck it up and hopefully learn from it .

over a year ago

"Yep , you are too bloody soft .

Suck it up and hopefully learn from it ."

Its just those sad eyes looking at me, and that was just my daughter lol

To be fair, it will do her some good because she gets quite anxious about going out for walks but she's looking forward to all the dog walking, to every cloud

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Thats why a lot of thought has to go into owning an animal. I adopt old cats which cost no where as much as dogs, but i have to remember they may need medication, emergency visits. Just their annual check up is £54x5. My old cat that past away cost me £90 every 6 weeks for medication and suppliments to help with her arthritis.

Food is the cheapest thing.

When i got one of my cats as a kitten with her brother i rescued them from an awful house and it cost me a fortune first month to get them sorted

over a year ago

To be fair, it will do her some good because she gets quite anxious about going out for walks but she's looking forward to all the dog walking, to every cloud "

Ah , now that's different .

Our son had serious issues about going out and about until he got into Pokemon go . It helped him enormously .

Let's hope the dog does the same for your daughter

over a year ago

"Thats why a lot of thought has to go into owning an animal. I adopt old cats which cost no where as much as dogs, but i have to remember they may need medication, emergency visits. Just their annual check up is £54x5. My old cat that past away cost me £90 every 6 weeks for medication and suppliments to help with her arthritis.

When i got one of my cats as a kitten with her brother i rescued them from an awful house and it cost me a fortune first month to get them sorted"

But at that moment you thinknto yourself "poor thing, if non one else wants you I'll love you" could have been worse though, could have been a horse

over a year ago

To be fair, it will do her some good because she gets quite anxious about going out for walks but she's looking forward to all the dog walking, to every cloud

Ah , now that's different .

Our son had serious issues about going out and about until he got into Pokemon go . It helped him enormously .

Let's hope the dog does the same for your daughter "

Now you tell me, Pokémon go would have been cheaper lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Thats why a lot of thought has to go into owning an animal. I adopt old cats which cost no where as much as dogs, but i have to remember they may need medication, emergency visits. Just their annual check up is £54x5. My old cat that past away cost me £90 every 6 weeks for medication and suppliments to help with her arthritis.

When i got one of my cats as a kitten with her brother i rescued them from an awful house and it cost me a fortune first month to get them sorted

But at that moment you thinknto yourself "poor thing, if non one else wants you I'll love you" could have been worse though, could have been a horse "

off cause, and ive always wanted a little dog but couldnt look after one properly.

I hope it helps your daughter, i dont know how old she is but all kids have hobbies that cost them money. Plus she may meet a new circle of friends while out with the dog.

Its just sometimes people dont take the financial cost into consideration.

Im very intererested in animal therapy. It would be nice if you posted again in six months how shes getting on with the dog

over a year ago

We had a dog for 18 years that didn't go to the vets, except for his vasectomy and to be put to sleep. If a pet wasn't sick, it didn't go to the vets. My puppy has cost a couple of hundred so far, and we just acquired another. It's a better waste of money than alcohol and cigarettes.

over a year ago

You did a great thing and now the dog will be happy. I too rescued a collie cross and I've had her for 5 years. She's still very wary of things as was very badly treated but I've given her everything she needs and she is worth every penny.

She was bitten badly by a Staffi last xmas eve and spent christmas eve and christmas day having emergency surgery to repair her. It cost me £900 which I had to pay upfront, but I got some dosh back from the pet insurance.

I hope your daughter gets as much pleasure out of her as I do with mine.

over a year ago

If I were to say how much it cost us to bring our two dogs to the UK from the US I think most people would recommend I be put in an insane assylum.

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

Very kind of you and nice for your daughter to have a dog.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Ive just looked at my cats, three are curled up together in the cruck of my leg and two are behind me laying on the back of the sofa, id go bankcrupt before i got rid of them

over a year ago

When I first married we went to a rescue home for a cat, we came home with a dog, she was like a little princess and the only one not jumping up and barking, we had her for 15 years and she always had ear problems which cost a fortune.

We rescued a springer spaniel who was nearing the end of his life while we still had our other dog and it was the best year (well I'd like to think so) of the springera life, he adored our other dog, our cat and our kids, took him on holidays with us all and we have him the best last year of his life, sadly though we had him only for a year

G x

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Fair play OP..

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

We to rescued a dog....from cyprus while we lived out there, she'd been dumped in our village, could find the owners so we along with our other 2 dogs took her on... Paid for her to go into kennels/ rescue centre where they looked after her, spay her did all her jabs including rabies put a micro chip in to, then when we knew we were coming back to UK did her pet passport and paid to fly her back with us....she is one very lucky dog and irrespective of the cost I wouldn't be without her now even when she does eat poo

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

Good on you pal! I rescue all day long to buying off a breeder.

over a year ago

You've done a wonderful thing!

Post new Message to Thread