Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

MOBOs, racist?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thought for many years that these awards were racist and should be banned, anybody else?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nope

over a year ago

''pulls up a chair''

this is gonna be good

over a year ago

Cracks open the snacks

over a year ago

do we have to go here again?

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/566106

over a year ago

Not really, care to explain more OP?

over a year ago

How are they racist. If you are going to use such a statement at least have proof?

over a year ago

Groundhog Day?

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/566106

over a year ago

"do we have to go here again?

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/566106"

Oops you beat me to it

over a year ago

Of course not silly, only white people can be called racist!

over a year ago

Please think before you type OP, for everyone's sake

over a year ago

Somehow it is not when they do it, but if it was the other way around it would be lol.

over a year ago

Wasn't this one done the other day?

over a year ago

Considering people who aren't black have been winners of MOBO awards in the past, how can they be seen to be racist?

over a year ago

"Wasn't this one done the other day?"

Yes. OP, watch this please: http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M

over a year ago

"Thought for many years that these awards were racist and should be banned, anybody else?"

No.

Question answered.

over a year ago

I would only ask that if there was an award for music of white origin, would it be considered racist or politically incorrect? I can imagine Diane Abbot sitting on scarecrow Corbin's knee blurting out her usual 'its not fair' rhetoric

over a year ago

Come on OP.

Please come back and try to defend your statement.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Thought for many years that these awards were racist and should be banned, anybody else?"

That's just a stupid question

over a year ago

and in fact we have Music of White Origin awards; for example folk music awards.... some would claim the Country Music Awards etc.

The MOBOs are music of Black origin... nothing more or less; the influences of different cultures on todays music; and as with all music awards the winners are people drawn from all different backgrounds and cultures; the name of the awards pay homage to the inspiration of the theme of the music genre.... why do you see this as racist OP?

By *olden RatioWoman
over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

I hope this is a joke?

over a year ago

"and in fact we have Music of White Origin awards; for example folk music awards.... some would claim the Country Music Awards etc.

The MOBOs are music of Black origin... nothing more or less; the influences of different cultures on todays music; and as with all music awards the winners are people drawn from all different backgrounds and cultures; the name of the awards pay homage to the inspiration of the theme of the music genre.... why do you see this as racist OP?"

totally agree

over a year ago

"Thought for many years that these awards were racist and should be banned, anybody else?

I hope this is a joke?"

It's not.

In fab forum land, this here OP is a grenade. He's pulled the pin, dropped it and legged his ass out of here to avoid the flak.

By *onny MCMan
over a year ago

Crawley

[Removed by poster at 04/11/16 21:15:52]

over a year ago

"Thought for many years that these awards were racist and should be banned, anybody else?

I hope this is a joke?

It's not.

In fab forum land, this here OP is a grenade. He's pulled the pin, dropped it and legged his ass out of here to avoid the flak. "

Or as I like to hope, he has raised a question and has been provided a thread to read to expand his thinking and some links and is busily reading/digesting/learning and will come back enlightened.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

how exactly is it racist?

is a black board racist?

is a blackbird racist?

are black beans racist??

just because something refers to a colour in its title it doesnt mean it is racist.

The music is of black origin, undeniably....all races can and do win awards so there is no preferential treatment to any one race.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have two black cats and only one white one. Am i racist?

over a year ago

No.

Question answered."

That was quick! Pub?

over a year ago

I hope this is a joke?

It's not.

In fab forum land, this here OP is a grenade. He's pulled the pin, dropped it and legged his ass out of here to avoid the flak.

Or as I like to hope, he has raised a question and has been provided a thread to read to expand his thinking and some links and is busily reading/digesting/learning and will come back enlightened. "

Two hopes....no and bob

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?"

You buying?

over a year ago

evesham

"Somehow it is not when they do it, but if it was the other way around it would be lol."

it doesn't need to be done the other way round...that's the bloody point

By *iptopcoolMan
over a year ago

mid

"I have two black cats and only one white one. Am i racist?"

Cats or pussy's ?

over a year ago

"Somehow it is not when they do it, but if it was the other way around it would be lol.

it doesn't need to be done the other way round...that's the bloody point "

Grrr. Another one that needs to watch this, Evie!

http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M

over a year ago

"Somehow it is not when they do it, but if it was the other way around it would be lol.

it doesn't need to be done the other way round...that's the bloody point

Grrr. Another one that needs to watch this, Evie!

http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M"

tidy your room!

over a year ago

Instead of MOBO it was the MOWO Awards would that be okay? No, of course not so why should it be okay for MOBO. Positive discrimination says just one thing first and foremost to the recipient... you don't deserve this you're just getting it because you are "different".

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?

You buying?"

Markoh is!

over a year ago

Oh god not again

Doll x

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?

You buying?

Markoh is! "

Then I am drinking!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Instead of MOBO it was the MOWO Awards would that be okay? No, of course not so why should it be okay for MOBO. Positive discrimination says just one thing first and foremost to the recipient... you don't deserve this you're just getting it because you are "different"."
you do know what the last o stands for. Origin. The artists dont have to be black.

You get country origin, jazz origin

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?

You buying?

Markoh is!

Then I am drinking!"

I want Scampi Fries

over a year ago

"and in fact we have Music of White Origin awards; for example folk music awards.... some would claim the Country Music Awards etc.

The MOBOs are music of Black origin... nothing more or less; the influences of different cultures on todays music; and as with all music awards the winners are people drawn from all different backgrounds and cultures; the name of the awards pay homage to the inspiration of the theme of the music genre.... why do you see this as racist OP?"

No, we dont have Music of White Origin awards, if they were theyd be called that, theyre not. The clue is in the name

Having said that, theres nothing from stopping anyone from starting such an awards.

over a year ago

The MOBOs are music of Black origin... nothing more or less; the influences of different cultures on todays music; and as with all music awards the winners are people drawn from all different backgrounds and cultures; the name of the awards pay homage to the inspiration of the theme of the music genre.... why do you see this as racist OP?

No, we dont have Music of White Origin awards, if they were theyd be called that, theyre not. The clue is in the name

Having said that, theres nothing from stopping anyone from starting such an awards. "

And exactly how long before the organisers would be called racists?

over a year ago

Anyone fancy a fuck?

over a year ago

"Instead of MOBO it was the MOWO Awards would that be okay? No, of course not so why should it be okay for MOBO. Positive discrimination says just one thing first and foremost to the recipient... you don't deserve this you're just getting it because you are "different"."

Bearing in mind most music these says does originate from black origin no it isnt racist at all

over a year ago

you do understand that it is a homage to the style of the music... insofar as white people who have used musical inspiration from black culture win awards... erm.... have you ever watched the Mobos?

Is it really so difficult to comprehend that with art or music or any aspect of culture there are different influences that enhance the world we live in; paying homage or giving credit to the foundation of that inspiration is not racist; its an acknowledgement about how diverse we have become and that by acknowledging this diversity we respect its origins.....?

over a year ago

"Anyone fancy a fuck?"

Yes please

over a year ago

I love me a bit of right wing dystopia.

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?

You buying?

Markoh is!

Then I am drinking!

I want Scampi Fries "

fishy fingers? Its a shame you're mad, you have such nice eyes...

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

Wouldn't sound right anyway. MOWO.

Sounds like one of those not so legal highs!

over a year ago

evesham

do you actually understand WHY there needs to be the MOBO awards? that for decades black musiscians and artists were systematically undermined, ripped off, persecuted just for the colour of their skin?

I cannot believe that in this day and age people dont understand this

over a year ago

evesham

also.....name some music genres of white origin...

By *ungBlackTopMan
over a year ago

salford

Grabs popcorn for this entertainment

over a year ago

"also.....name some music genres of white origin..."
Country music

over a year ago

"Instead of MOBO it was the MOWO Awards would that be okay? No, of course not so why should it be okay for MOBO. Positive discrimination says just one thing first and foremost to the recipient... you don't deserve this you're just getting it because you are "different".

do you actually understand WHY there needs to be the MOBO awards? that for decades black musiscians and artists were systematically undermined, ripped off, persecuted just for the colour of their skin?

I cannot believe that in this day and age people dont understand this "

Ignorance is bliss unfortuately seems someone needs to watch BBC4 for some education

over a year ago

"also.....name some music genres of white origin..."
hip hop, rap, RnB

over a year ago

"I would only ask that if there was an award for music of white origin, would it be considered racist or politically incorrect? I can imagine Diane Abbot sitting on scarecrow Corbin's knee blurting out her usual 'its not fair' rhetoric "

There's loads, MTV, Brits, Kerrang...

Name a black rock artist besides Hendrix or Kravitz?...

xx

over a year ago

Skunk anansie

over a year ago

Prince

over a year ago

"Instead of MOBO it was the MOWO Awards would that be okay? No, of course not so why should it be okay for MOBO. Positive discrimination says just one thing first and foremost to the recipient... you don't deserve this you're just getting it because you are "different".

you do understand that it is a homage to the style of the music... insofar as white people who have used musical inspiration from black culture win awards... erm.... have you ever watched the Mobos?

Is it really so difficult to comprehend that with art or music or any aspect of culture there are different influences that enhance the world we live in; paying homage or giving credit to the foundation of that inspiration is not racist; its an acknowledgement about how diverse we have become and that by acknowledging this diversity we respect its origins.....?"

The issue in these threads and questions posed is rarely about the nature of the music awards and origin of the music (and what that *really* means rather than being a colour) -- the issue I assume (and this is the impression I glean, my opinion and I hope to be corrected by the OP that this is not the case) but the issue is more often about --

Why is racism only one way? Is it racist if we reversed the white and black?

Well, the OP has a point *but* *only* if in that reversing the entire systematic build up of racism of white to black too and then put on the awards as MOWO. This is the concept missed out, to simply reverse it does *not* reverse it hence it is racist.

Please Doc, educate yourself.

http://youtu.be/dw_mRaIHb-M

(I'm not being as articulate as I like, I blame my current injuries but I am compelled to make a comment on this as the perpetuation of this utter shite riles me something chronic -- ranty E over)

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/11/16 21:37:10]

over a year ago

"Prince"

pop

over a year ago

"Skunk anansie

pop"

I think youll find it was classed as alternative/indie rock

over a year ago

"Skunk anansie

pop

I think youll find it was classed as alternative/indie rock"

Big thumb wrong post...

Agree all 3 ...

xx

over a year ago

"Skunk anansie

pop

I think youll find it was classed as alternative/indie rock

Big thumb wrong post...

Agree all 3 ...

xx"

Was gonna say lol

over a year ago

Oh ffs.

Not this sorry-ass crap again.

over a year ago

"I would only ask that if there was an award for music of white origin, would it be considered racist or politically incorrect? I can imagine Diane Abbot sitting on scarecrow Corbin's knee blurting out her usual 'its not fair' rhetoric

xx"

Slash

Pat Smear (rhcp, nirvana among others he played in at one point or another)

Tom Morello (rage against the machines)

over a year ago

evesham

"also.....name some music genres of white origin...Country music"

nope

Country music was one of the first genres of modern American popular music, and old-time music was its earliest style. It developed in the southeastern states of the USA as a mix of folk music from the British Isles, church music and African American blues.

over a year ago

"also.....name some music genres of white origin...Country music

nope

Country music was one of the first genres of modern American popular music, and old-time music was its earliest style. It developed in the southeastern states of the USA as a mix of folk music from the British Isles, church music and African American blues."

And same goes for the rock genre

over a year ago

nope

Country music was one of the first genres of modern American popular music, and old-time music was its earliest style. It developed in the southeastern states of the USA as a mix of folk music from the British Isles, church music and African American blues.

And same goes for the rock genre "

Every type of music comes from when some sub human cave-dwelling hominid started hitting rocks with bones and grunting along in time. Then he married Beyonce

over a year ago

nope

And same goes for the rock genre

Every type of music comes from when some sub human cave-dwelling hominid started hitting rocks with bones and grunting along in time. Then he married Beyonce "

What about euro dance and trance?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

no..

educate yourself, in order to do so you will need to look at the issue in an objective manner..

over a year ago

If it makes you feel better op apparently the mobos have been fucking up all evening lol

over a year ago

no..

educate yourself, in order to do so you will need to look at the issue in an objective manner..

"

Sure, in the same way let those pesky gays have a party once or twice a year... get a grip man

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

no..

Sure, in the same way let those pesky gays have a party once or twice a year... get a grip man "

not enough time in your diary dont go maybe?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/11/16 22:10:31]

over a year ago

"I would only ask that if there was an award for music of white origin, would it be considered racist or politically incorrect? I can imagine Diane Abbot sitting on scarecrow Corbin's knee blurting out her usual 'its not fair' rhetoric

xx

Slash

"

Like Kravitz they are all mixed race so good suggestions but technically not black...

Just Jim n Skunk really so far...

xx

over a year ago

I'd hazard a guess to say if there was a music of white origin awards then they'd be classed as racist.

over a year ago

evesham

"I'd hazard a guess to say if there was a music of white origin awards then they'd be classed as racist. "

because there is no need for it....white people have not had their music taken from them, been exploited to benefit the white record label owners, watched while black recording artists get rich on their music, their lyrics and sometimes even their voices!!

I refer to another thread where i explained how equality isnt treating everyone the same....it is giving everyone that same outcome. White music awards are not needed because every other music awards has, for generations, been predominately white orientated.

Also....it is not racist to celebrate something's origins....it is racist to not allow any other race to enter and win, something the MOBO's don't do and therefor they are NOT racist!!!

over a year ago

Professor Green pretty much nailed his spot. I was so pleased about WSTRN (not Chip). Honestly, it's a music show for entertainment. There's about a billion other things that are more important going on in the world right now. Stop fussing over fart assed things that don't matter!!

over a year ago

Black people had their music taken from them?

Who's got it?

over a year ago

evesham

"Black people had their music taken from them?

Who's got it?"

the man

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"I'd hazard a guess to say if there was a music of white origin awards then they'd be classed as racist. "

If they were, then it would be because whoever set them up would probably have the same ignorant attitude as the OP here.

'white' music is fully celebrated and lauded already. We don't have MOWO for the same reason we don't have straight pride.

over a year ago

Who's got it?

the man"

Cool dude

over a year ago

"I'd hazard a guess to say if there was a music of white origin awards then they'd be classed as racist.

If they were, then it would be because whoever set them up would probably have the same ignorant attitude as the OP here.

'white' music is fully celebrated and lauded already. We don't have MOWO for the same reason we don't have straight pride. "

over a year ago

"I'd hazard a guess to say if there was a music of white origin awards then they'd be classed as racist.

'white' music is fully celebrated and lauded already. We don't have MOWO for the same reason we don't have straight pride. "

We should have Straight Pride. Afterall there aren't many of them once the closet bi & gays own up

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Irrespective, let's stop banning things we disagree with.

Secondly, you are talking utter nonsense. Firstly, "black" as a race is totally meaningless and many people who are not dark skinned have won Mobo awards.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

'white' music is fully celebrated and lauded already. We don't have MOWO for the same reason we don't have straight pride.

We should have Straight Pride. Afterall there aren't many of them once the closet bi & gays own up "

Let's stop highlighting differences and start celebrating common ground?

over a year ago

"Firstly, "black" as a race is totally meaningless

"

It's not.

over a year ago

We should have Straight Pride. Afterall there aren't many of them once the closet bi & gays own up

Let's stop highlighting differences and start celebrating common ground?"

No because that's really fucking boring. I like difference

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

No because the origin of a style of music does not mean only one race of people can perform it.

Non white people play music which was originally performed by white people, they do it all the time.

If they are good, they win an award. Simple.

Let's start moaning about actual things, not made up ignorant appraisals of something.

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

land of debauchery and kink

Sorry haven't read the full thread but wasn't there a similar post the other day. ?

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

No because that's really fucking boring. I like difference "

Well if you highlight and point out difference, you will get bigotry.

Your choice.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

It's not."

Genetically it is totally worthless as a term.

over a year ago

Your choice."

Or diversity. Your choice

over a year ago

"Sorry haven't read the full thread but wasn't there a similar post the other day. ?"

Most likely.

over a year ago

Jesus said "Blesséd are the poor".

What about the rich or the comfortable? Aren't they blesséd? It's downright cultural (mis)appropriation.

over a year ago

It's not.

"

Musically, it ain't.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Your choice.

Or diversity. Your choice "

You can get diversity without pointing out and highlighting differences. Bloody hell. This is hard work.

over a year ago

when there are questions like this, there is always double face-palm

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

It's not.

Musically, it ain't. "

No one is arguing that, apart from you.

over a year ago

Your choice."

That would be fine if bigotry didn't already exist. But it does. So it's meaningless.

over a year ago

It's not.

Musically, it ain't.

No one is arguing that, apart from you."

Did you miss the thread title?!

over a year ago

porquoi?

over a year ago

Your choice.

You can get diversity without pointing out and highlighting differences. Bloody hell. This is hard work."

What??

Go ahead then... educate me...

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Any form of awards are only 'racist' if they deliberately exclude anyone.

So no they aren't.

over a year ago

Just forum search "mobo" it's ground hog day.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

It's not.

Musically, it ain't.

No one is arguing that, apart from you.

Did you miss the thread title?! "

No, I read it, I am questioning the point of using "black" or "white" to define giant sections of the worlds population. The frequency at which light reflects from our skin does not mean that we will act in any particular way or we should be treated in any particular way. This shit is fucking basic.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/11/16 22:52:34]

over a year ago

xx

Slash

Like Kravitz they are all mixed race so good suggestions but technically not black...

xx"

Living Colour

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Your choice.

You can get diversity without pointing out and highlighting differences. Bloody hell. This is hard work.

What??

Go ahead then... educate me..."

I fear it is too late.

You clearly only want to argue, I can't be arsed, what I have written is true and correct and when you are ready to try and understand it then come and give it a go.

over a year ago

"I fear it is too late.

You clearly only want to argue, I can't be arsed, what I have written is true and correct and when you are ready to try and understand it then come and give it a go."

And you're clearly chatting shit.

I've heard the same arguments many times - we're all the same colour on the inside, "I don't see different skin colours" blah blah blah

All ignorant to the fact that difference is good and should be embraced and celebrated, not ignored.

over a year ago

End of the day we all bleed the same colour. All too often the PC police wanna dredge crap like this up.There is no plaxe for thia sorta thread on fab the OP is a buffoon for bringing it up

over a year ago

Too funny

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?"

Plan......

Shorts or a brewsky?

over a year ago

No.

Question answered.

That was quick! Pub?

You buying?

Markoh is!

Then I am drinking!

I want Scampi Fries "

Have you been reading my veris?

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

I just don't get why anyone would be offended by the mobos. FFS, it's just silly I'm not offended. If anything I think the people offended are the racist ones.

over a year ago

xx

Slash

xx

Living Colour"

Still not loads tho is it, ask people who don't know a lot about rock to name 5 Rock bands or musicians without using go ogle and most people probably could and not just the same few either...

xx

over a year ago

The one and only Phil lynott

over a year ago

"The one and only Phil lynott "

mixed race...

xx

over a year ago

so we have gone from the absurd op to people implying there are no/few black folks in rock bands ..... i despair!

over a year ago

"The one and only Phil lynott

mixed race...

xx"

So was Bob Marley. I also know this has no bearing on the point.

over a year ago

Bodycount in the house ( Bodycount)

Bodycount in the house ( Bod bod bodycount)

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Bodycount in the house ( Bodycount)

Bodycount in the house ( Bod bod bodycount)"

over a year ago

Who's got it?

the man"

THATS RIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHTTTT

By *aughtyangieCouple
over a year ago

Brighton

"Somehow it is not when they do it, but if it was the other way around it would be lol."

please list all the music of white origin that is not being celebrated ?

over a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

over a year ago

The level of talent this year is breath taking.

over a year ago

I'm not sure if it's racist. But dude, whets my car?

over a year ago

"I'm not sure if it's racist. But dude, wheres my car?"

Correction*

over a year ago

"so we have gone from the absurd op to people implying there are no/few black folks in rock bands ..... i despair!"

I despair? never heard if them, are you sure they're black ?

over a year ago

Nearly Christmas

over a year ago

"so we have gone from the absurd op to people implying there are no/few black folks in rock bands ..... i despair!

I despair? never heard if them, are you sure they're black ?"

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

"The level of talent this year is breath taking. "

I thought it was pretty shit to be honest. Big pile of poop

over a year ago

"The level of talent this year is breath taking.

I thought it was pretty shit to be honest. Big pile of poop "

I think the previous comment could have omitted an in cheek emoji, agree with pile of poop tho ...

xx

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

I think the previous comment could have omitted an in cheek emoji, agree with pile of poop tho ...

xx"

Yes but we get clems humour

over a year ago

xx

Yes but we get clems humour "

Still only another year to wait for the next one though ...

xx

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

xx

Yes but we get clems humour

Still only another year to wait for the next one though ...

xx"

Thank fook

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

"Prince

pop"

Absolute nonsense.

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

"Prince

pop

Absolute nonsense. "

over a year ago

Ben e king does black the best. Love that man

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/11/16 01:44:49]

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

Wrong thread

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

xx

Slash

xx

Living Colour

Still not loads tho is it, ask people who don't know a lot about rock to name 5 Rock bands or musicians without using go ogle and most people probably could and not just the same few either...

xx"

Skindred

over a year ago

"I have two black cats and only one white one. Am i racist?"

Is the white cat in charge of the two black cats or do you mean one white cat is equal to two black cats

over a year ago

Hold on who are "they"?????

over a year ago

Ifs because SIR for years music of black origin went unnoticed. Grammys Oscars were not recognising as a whole that a race of people (that previously were not allowed to display their artistic talents) so they tried to say " look here is how it's done. You do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this . Has someone from the mobos upset you or donw something to you ?

over a year ago

There is nk such thing as hip hop music / hip hop is a culture rap is the music of hip hop- just saying

over a year ago

Sorry I can't read this anymore it's too much I'm reading comments that are showing me

That there are reasons that some are putting certain preferences on their profile. Terms like "'they" ..... had enough

Post new Message to Thread