Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

night storage heaters

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

i know, im sorry, stupid question, but we have moved to a place with them...how do they work? how do they store and release heat?...what is the most economical way to use them?...apologies, i do know i should have better things to do on a friday night?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They heat up the bricks inside them during the night and release it slowly during the day. There should be 2 dials on them..input and output. Input determines the amount of heat stored therefore the amount of electricity used..and output will move a flap over the bricks to determine the heat given out..the higher the output the more given out but risk using it all before the evening is out.

I think it's a case of fiddling and finding your best settings.

Also check with your elecy provider that you are on the tarrif that gives you cheap electric overnight.

Good luck. I had them many moons ago with archaic storage heaters and found them only really useful for taking the chill off a room.

I hope I've been some sort of help.

over a year ago

"i know, im sorry, stupid question, but we have moved to a place with them...how do they work? how do they store and release heat?...what is the most economical way to use them?...apologies, i do know i should have better things to do on a friday night?"

Economy wise it will depend if you are on a 2 rate electric meter which is what used to be used in conjunction with storage heaters, ring the current supplier and check how the property is being charged and if it is on 2 rates heat the storage heaters at night when the supplier says you'll be charged the cheaper rate

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

There really isn't an energy efficient way of using storage heaters, i used to have them.

They cost a fortune and don't work that well.

Keep all your doors firmly shut and make sure you have draught excluders etc around the doors to keep the heat in.

Set the output as low as you can otherwise they will be cold by tea time.

Think about buying a plug in electric heater to keep one room nice and warm in the evening when the heaters are cooling down. I used to keep the living room warm and had an electric blanket on my bed.

over a year ago

Had them years ago all I can say is they were crap, held the heat for half the day and then she it got cold in the late afternoon they were cold

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

thank you, thats very helpful!

over a year ago

They work like this:

You leave them on all the time...

...and you get really fucking cold

They're shit.