Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

New monthly Rubbish Bin collections

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Are you effected?

Are you in an area where your council has decided to cut rubbish collections to once every four weeks

fine if you live on your own or no large family, but on the bright side, the wildlife and rats will be well fed and you can always purchase an air freshener for the summer months

Good idea or bad?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It would be an urban disaster in my area ......

Many of the bins I see which are put out for weekly collection are beyond overflowing....

over a year ago

So long as I got a bigger recycling bin it would be fine. My normal rubbish bin is collected fortnightly and it's never more than half full.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

just take the excess and drop it outside the local council offices

over a year ago

"just take the excess and drop it outside the local council offices "

that comment have been quoted a few times on ITV news this morning, I think that would be a clear message to them if all litter was being dumped there each morning

over a year ago

"just take the excess and drop it outside the local council offices "

Or, understand that council finances have been so crippled by government cuts and increasing levels of demand for adult social care and looked-after children that people are going to have to get used to paying a lot more council tax to maintain the level of service they think they're entitled to?

Or your way. Because that'll help.

over a year ago

"just take the excess and drop it outside the local council offices

that comment have been quoted a few times on ITV news this morning, I think that would be a clear message to them if all litter was being dumped there each morning"

Except the fine for fly tipping

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/11/16 10:32:30]

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Ours is collected weekly. And we don't have bins. The council provide us with red bags for recycling and a box for cardboard. We have to provide our own black bags for anything else. But there is no limit to the amount they take.

over a year ago

Or, understand that council finances have been so crippled by government cuts and increasing levels of demand for adult social care and looked-after children that people are going to have to get used to paying a lot more council tax to maintain the level of service they think they're entitled to?

Or your way. Because that'll help."

also quoted in news this morning, if they cut back on bin collection service then council tax should also be reduced

monthly bin collection will only encourage fly dumping and people stopping in lay-bys to dump bags of garbage in lay-by bins

over a year ago

We take our rubbish to the nearest tip on the week our rubbish isn't collected. I'm sure others could do the same, if they were able to (not everybody drives or lives near a tip I know).

over a year ago

Not a problem tbh. We rarely half fill our (small) rubbish bin every two weeks. However we could really do with another recycling bin when we stop being able to burn lots of our waste on the winter fire...

By *abes in the woodWoman
over a year ago

wales

my area still fortnightly but would be disaster here as canal streams brooks already got outbreak of rats sometimes people communel bins get forgotten yes i think so unless on your own already change our bins to smaller ones alot more recycling we got 4 recycling boxes that dont get fill quick which is silly tins go in one paper cardboard.then waste plastic in another but also waste one dont mind recycling

over a year ago

also quoted in news this morning, if they cut back on bin collection service then council tax should also be reduced

monthly bin collection will only encourage fly dumping and people stopping in lay-bys to dump bags of garbage in lay-by bins"

Yes but the problem with "quoted" is that they're usually quoting an ignorant chav with no understanding of council services and how they're funded.

Anyway, it's simple, just recycle more and use less stuff. If you're a family, you already get a bigger bin. I don't know what the heck people put in them to fill them.

over a year ago

Or your way. Because that'll help."

As the parent of "a looked after child" i.e. special needs disabled child, who will shortly be an adult needing social care. I think maybe you would like to rephrase your comments, as it makes it sound like they are the reason the council's are cutting bin service's.

They are being cut to encourage people to recycle more and cut down on what gets sent to landfills, as much as to save money.

over a year ago

As the parent of "a looked after child" i.e. special needs disabled child, who will shortly be an adult needing social care. I think maybe you would like to rephrase your comments, as it makes it sound like they are the reason the council's are cutting bin service's.

They are being cut to encourage people to recycle more and cut down on what gets sent to landfills, as much as to save money."

I won't rephrase it, services are being cut because councils can't afford them all. Understandably, councils are having to maintain the services which they're legally obliged to provide (like looked after children, which means children in care, so not what you're talking about anyway) and as a result other services are reduced. I'm not saying they're wrong to do so, but unless it's a council in an affluent area, that's the reason the services are being cut back.

over a year ago

They are being cut to encourage people to recycle more and cut down on what gets sent to landfills, as much as to save money."

I think you are better watching the news to find out the real reason bin collections are being cut, rather than what you think the reason to be

over a year ago

They are being cut to encourage people to recycle more and cut down on what gets sent to landfills, as much as to save money.

I think you are better watching the news to find out the real reason bin collections are being cut, rather than what you think the reason to be"

What does the news say?

(Remembering, of course, that news organisations are run by companies who are deeply political in nature.)

over a year ago

monthly bin collection will only encourage fly dumping and people stopping in lay-bys to dump bags of garbage in lay-by bins

Yes but the problem with "quoted" is that they're usually quoting an ignorant chav with no understanding of council services and how they're funded.

Anyway, it's simple, just recycle more and use less stuff. If you're a family, you already get a bigger bin. I don't know what the heck people put in them to fill them. "

In my bin I put

Used condoms

Sanitary towells

Cat litter

My daughter's nappies

Yogurt pots

Packaging non recyclable

Amongst other things

I recycle as much as possible

Different people have different circumstances and generate different amounts of rubbish.

Once a month sounds lovely and hygienic.

Government should do more to make companies supply goods in recyclable packaging, as that's a big area rubbish comes from.

over a year ago

I think you are better watching the news to find out the real reason bin collections are being cut, rather than what you think the reason to be"

I,m not watching the news, I am replying to a comment someone else made, implying that it's because of what councils are paying for social care. So get knotted.

By *abes in the woodWoman
over a year ago

wales

i dont mind recycling alway have save what goes in the bins shocking still plenty dont recycle as would make extra room in bins

over a year ago

I'm torn on this. When I lived in NYC our trash was collected twice a week. Recycling was once a week. It was a massive change to come here and only have it collected once every two weeks. But, having said that, after the first few weeks it wasn't that hard to adjust. I imagine I'd feel the same if it were changed to once a month.

If budgetary concerns are the problem then why not get a bit more creative? Maybe they could do monthly trash collection but have more trash points where people could bring their trash throughout the month if they have a lot. There are times when have more trash than usual and the infrequent trash pick up can be hard during those times. Just an idea.

over a year ago

If my bin bin was bigger and not one of these stupid slim ones then ya all good but the fact it will be weekly dump run I'm not happy with at all

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Trash and garbage - what's the difference?

over a year ago

I have a pet habit of sorting people's rubbish out when I visit there house, it just narks me when i see cardboard in the rubbish bin!.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

No issues with rubbish collection here!

On the dot, every week.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

We have a green bin which only gets used for bind and potato haulms - everything else is composted.

We have a full-sized recycling bin that is often nearly full each fortnight.

We have a food-waste bin we never use, why would one waste food?

We have a half-size general waste bin, that is generally less than half full when we put it out once a fortnight. Sometimes we don't even bother to put it out.

If you have problems with rats and vermin, OP, it's more likely your poor bin management, or, as with us, your stupid neighbours spreading loads of food of the ground "for the wildlife"

Mr ddc

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Oh, and BTW, family of four, including two teenagers

over a year ago

We're allowed to put out 4 black bags every other week maximum, been like it for over a year now

over a year ago

"Oh, and BTW, family of four, including two teenagers

"

That's why you don't have waste food then!.... It's just a constant feed me feed me feed me

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

We have a food bin supposed to be collected weekly sometimes isn't

Garden waste that's every 2 weeks, recycling bin that's every week and a general rubbish that's every 2

Often at Xmas the bins are overflowing and we don't have a car

over a year ago

Bin always full and collected every two weeks no one around here uses the recycle bins as the collectors throw them around and break the sealed tops there is so much fly tipping in this country has anyone worked out the cost difference from collecting weekly as apposed to the cost of teams finding dumped waste and collecting it ?

over a year ago

They couldn't do that here! The LA are too tight to even provide us with wheelie bins, so a load of bags in the street for 4 weeks wouldn't be a good idea.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Oh, and BTW, family of four, including two teenagers

That's why you don't have waste food then!.... It's just a constant feed me feed me feed me"

Plus the dog too

I think having two parents that went through rationing helps as well.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

" council finances have been so crippled by government cuts and increasing levels of demand for adult social care and looked-after children that people are going to have to get used to paying a lot more council tax to maintain the level of service they think they're entitled to?"

this..

however anyone interprets it there are more cuts coming on the back of those already affecting some services we used to take for granted from the councils where we live..

we all need to expect more of such things as central Government reduce what they give to local councils..

over a year ago

Living in a house with 6 adults and a child it would be a blooming nightmare!

over a year ago

live on a new estate could swear our wheelie bin was smaller than where we was living before. (Post above makes sense now about slimline bin)

the estate refuse is collected every two weeks, recycling is collected everyweek the wheelie bins are constantly overflowing, it doesnt help when you do put things out for recycling that it doesnt get collected, last reason was there was a metal lid on a glass jar....,we dont recycle anymore. and our nearest tip is only open 2/3 days a week. the county councils used to own and repar the refuse lorries now they Lease them! the extra cost is in itself caused by governments where we used to have 1 refuse lorry come round once a week we now Have 4 some weeks so thats 3 extra crews and 3 more lorry's to lease and run.

By *uby0000Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

maggot infested bins would that get a contamination sticker? ours are thinking of charging extra to collect our garden bins

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Are you effected?

Are you in an area where your council has decided to cut rubbish collections to once every four weeks

fine if you live on your own or no large family, but on the bright side, the wildlife and rats will be well fed and you can always purchase an air freshener for the summer months

Good idea or bad? "

What *are* you gonna do with all those UKIP flyers?

over a year ago

"I have a pet habit of sorting people's rubbish out when I visit there house, it just narks me when i see cardboard in the rubbish bin!.

"

Cardboard goes in the garden large Oil drum and set on fire, gone in minutes up into the atmosphere for everyone to breath in

What *are* you gonna do with all those UKIP flyers?

UKIP???? im in Scotland, UKIP is an Englander issue

over a year ago

where have you gone

over a year ago

mine hasn't done this but i only put mine out every month anyway, i have 3 kids living with me and don't buy a lot of rubbish luckily.

i think it's good. even when i had 4 kids at home and 3 were in nappies i never filled my whole bin up every two weeks. some people need to stop buying so much rubbish.

over a year ago

"Government should do more to make companies supply goods in recyclable packaging, as that's a big area rubbish comes from."

i agree with this. don't leave all the onus on rubbish to consumers.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman
Forum Mod

over a year ago

My Own Little World

My council alternate the weekly collections, recycling this week, rubbish next. And the last couple of days before they turn up is a struggle to fit it all in and get the lid shut, if the lid doesn't close they refuse to empty it.

And don't get me started on the maggots in the summer

over a year ago

"Government should do more to make companies supply goods in recyclable packaging, as that's a big area rubbish comes from.

i agree with this. don't leave all the onus on rubbish to consumers. "

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"Government should do more to make companies supply goods in recyclable packaging, as that's a big area rubbish comes from.

i agree with this. don't leave all the onus on rubbish to consumers. "

Yes; this;

Luckily over here there is much less packaging in supermarkets; and lots of good grocers shops; so you use your own bags; or paper bags.

Freind of mine in UK used to remove all the packaging and wrapping at the supermarket till and leave it there for them to sort out.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Government should also do more to make the supermarkets play their part. We were impressed in Germany by the deposits charged on plastic & glass bottles, and the automated system where returns were rewarded with coupons.

Mr ddc

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

Won't be long before we're back to throwing buckets of shit n piss out of our windows.

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

land of debauchery and kink

Yes; this;

Luckily over here there is much less packaging in supermarkets; and lots of good grocers shops; so you use your own bags; or paper bags.

Freind of mine in UK used to remove all the packaging and wrapping at the supermarket till and leave it there for them to sort out."

I think manufacturers need to be more conscious of their packaging by either using less or making it 100% recyclable. My waste gets taken every other week one week is recyclable waste collection the next is non. My waste bin is always only half 3/4 full but my recyclable one is always full. I've just ordered another our council give them for free but waste ones cost £30.

over a year ago

"Won't be long before we're back to throwing buckets of shit n piss out of our windows."

Im okay, Im connected to private sewage, don't pay sewage on council tax

over a year ago

Yes; this;

Freind of mine in UK used to remove all the packaging and wrapping at the supermarket till and leave it there for them to sort out.

I think manufacturers need to be more conscious of their packaging by either using less or making it 100% recyclable. My waste gets taken every other week one week is recyclable waste collection the next is non. My waste bin is always only half 3/4 full but my recyclable one is always full. I've just ordered another our council give them for free but waste ones cost £30. "

anyone with a full bin should just dump stuff in their neighbours 3/4 full bin

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Luckily I'm not I already have 10 recycling boxes and I still fill my bin once a fortnight in fact mines already full and I've got to get to Monday before it's emptied again

over a year ago

No, but this twitter tag would sum it up, #brexshit lol.

over a year ago

"No, but this twitter tag would sum it up, #brexshit lol."

oh yeah. the eu was paying us to recycle stuff, now we won't get free recycling bins any more probably. and more recycling waste - they might charge us for this too.

over a year ago

"No, but this twitter tag would sum it up, #brexshit lol.

oh yeah. the eu was paying us to recycle stuff, now we won't get free recycling bins any more probably. and more recycling waste - they might charge us for this too."

That is right, maibe it was eu bins with the council town names on, but yeah they defo dont take health and safety into consideration do they

over a year ago

oh yeah. the eu was paying us to recycle stuff, now we won't get free recycling bins any more probably. and more recycling waste - they might charge us for this too.

That is right, maibe it was eu bins with the council town names on, but yeah they defo dont take health and safety into consideration do they"

the eu did, but my council probably won't due to cutbacks.

over a year ago

That is right, maibe it was eu bins with the council town names on, but yeah they defo dont take health and safety into consideration do they

the eu did, but my council probably won't due to cutbacks. "

That is right eu did, did they do cut backs after brexit or before?

over a year ago

the eu did, but my council probably won't due to cutbacks.

That is right eu did, did they do cut backs after brexit or before?"

after. well ever since the conservatives got in they did cutbacks. but all the environmental incentives were paid for by the eu.

this goes for housing that saves tenants money on their fuel bills, the recycling, all that kind of thing.

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

Yes; this;

I think manufacturers need to be more conscious of their packaging by either using less or making it 100% recyclable. My waste gets taken every other week one week is recyclable waste collection the next is non. My waste bin is always only half 3/4 full but my recyclable one is always full. I've just ordered another our council give them for free but waste ones cost £30.

anyone with a full bin should just dump stuff in their neighbours 3/4 full bin "

My neighbors do this sometimes, doesn't bother me on bit x

over a year ago

Does this mean I can cut that section of my council tax by 75%?!!! Grrr...

over a year ago

it's an essential service being stretched to the limit. no doubt someone will offer private refuse collection to householders but where is it being dumped? a prime opportunity for fly tipping opportunists.

personally i'm saddened that the public do not ask the question "if it's austerity, where the hell has the money gone/going?" we pay more but get less. a start would be a demand that if businesses were bailed out with public money and they still operate, insist on reimbursement. as a country we should push on this rather than one protest vote on EU.

phew, rant over.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"it's an essential service being stretched to the limit. no doubt someone will offer private refuse collection to householders but where is it being dumped? a prime opportunity for fly tipping opportunists.

personally i'm saddened that the public do not ask the question "if it's austerity, where the hell has the money gone/going?" we pay more but get less. a start would be a demand that if businesses were bailed out with public money and they still operate, insist on reimbursement. as a country we should push on this rather than one protest vote on EU.

phew, rant over. "

You could start by asking what the prices are in the Restaurants and Bars in the Hiysrs of Parliament;

Then when you find that the booze is half the price it can be found anywhere else, and that they are eating high end restaurant quality food at Burger King prices, you could ask who subsidizes that......

By *rincessvenusCouple
over a year ago

Hull

big steel cage in the garden we burn the lot no need for bins garden rubbish goes to local allotments problem solved

over a year ago

I go to put some rubbish in mine and theres stuff in it that aint even mine :-/

As for once a month = more fly tipping = council workers doing the same amount of collecting

Its a no brainer if you ask me

over a year ago

black rubbish bins are now small size same as the recycling and every two weeks - i lft mine for a month and still only 2/3 full - blue and brown every 2 weeks and green one weekly over the summer/autumn then forthnightly - i never filled them even when kids were home -

over a year ago

I struggle now on fortnightly. Quite often end up doing a tip trip and I have two bins.

Dont recycle as someone nicked my bin and they dont want to replace it. I do sort cardboard and bottles and take them when i go shopping to the bottle bank etc

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

"I struggle now on fortnightly. Quite often end up doing a tip trip and I have two bins.

Dont recycle as someone nicked my bin and they dont want to replace it. I do sort cardboard and bottles and take them when i go shopping to the bottle bank etc"

Have you rang your local council up? Mine replace for free. I've got 2 recycle bins.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

We get everything year round, alternative weeks for different recycling options or refuse.

I leave excess packaging in shops.

over a year ago

"

Amazon own brand stuff is really good for this actually. They call it 'frustration-free packaging' and note on a product page if it comes that way. It's easy to open and usually recyclable.

And I know that people moan about their computer algorithm boxes, but all of the cardboard packaging is burnable or recyclable...

over a year ago

"I struggle now on fortnightly. Quite often end up doing a tip trip and I have two bins.

Dont recycle as someone nicked my bin and they dont want to replace it. I do sort cardboard and bottles and take them when i go shopping to the bottle bank etc

Have you rang your local council up? Mine replace for free. I've got 2 recycle bins. "

yup.. they said i could buy a new one

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

"What do you think of it so far!?"

"Rubbish!!"

By *adyDangerWoman
over a year ago

Have you rang your local council up? Mine replace for free. I've got 2 recycle bins. yup.. they said i could buy a new one"

That's awful our council replace recycle bins for free or even let you have another for free, as I said I got another one the other week no problem. I'd ring your local MP and see what he/she says x

over a year ago

Drove down the A9 last night, clocked a car in lay-by with boot open, he was taking bin bags out of boot and dumping in lay-by bin, the bin was full (lid couldn't close for black bin bag, and he laid two others by the side of the bin

Then again it may not be house hold rubbish, may be some other dodgy rubbish

over a year ago

that comment have been quoted a few times on ITV news this morning, I think that would be a clear message to them if all litter was being dumped there each morning

Except the fine for fly tipping "

A mate of mine got a £80 wounded for dropping his fag in Chester ..imaging what two weeks worth of shite would get ?

over a year ago

Our recycling gets taken every week but our general waste is every 3 weeks!! Even with a huge wheelie bin it's still overflowing by the time 3 weeks is up and it stinks!!

We've also just been informed that we will now have to pay if we want the brown bin (garden waste here) collected.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

Ours is collected every 2 weeks personally they should reduce council bill, yes we do have free labour hand pickers going through some depots.

As goes for the recycling uk dont recycle its sent abroad.

over a year ago

"Ours is collected every 2 weeks personally they should reduce council bill, yes we do have free labour hand pickers going through some depots.

As goes for the recycling uk dont recycle its sent abroad. "

The point is that they can't reduce the council tax bill because other services have got more expensive.

I suppose that, instead, they could do something like reduce workers wages?

If people were willing to pay a bit more council tax...

By *anes HubbyCouple
over a year ago

Babbacombe Torquay

Continued reduction in funding from central government, and so many in the population getting Council Tax relief......Local government us being squeezed so something has to give.

over a year ago

"Ours is collected every 2 weeks personally they should reduce council bill, yes we do have free labour hand pickers going through some depots.

As goes for the recycling uk dont recycle its sent abroad.

The point is that they can't reduce the council tax bill because other services have got more expensive.

I suppose that, instead, they could do something like reduce workers wages?

If people were willing to pay a bit more council tax..."

We don't have a choice in Scotland, the largest two house bands in council tax are having a big increase, not sure how much more we are going to have to pay

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"

We don't have a choice in Scotland, the largest two house bands in council tax are having a big increase, not sure how much more we are going to have to pay"

You do realise that's to pay for all the forruns

over a year ago

"

I leave excess packaging in shops."

Which you are legally allowed to do. But obviously shops don't want you knowing that, as it'll be more excess rubbish from them.

By *imetoexplore69Couple
over a year ago

Aberdeen

what i dont understand is why is it anyways up to the people at the bottom who have to make the changes like recycling and paying tax.why arnt multi million pound business forced to ditch plastic in favour of hemp for example.going off topic a little but if youcocovered a state not much bigger than Florida with solar panels then you could power the whole of the usa.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

We have fortnightly collections on our bins, general waste one week and recycling and garden waste the next.

Our recycling is always full and we often have to leave a box of cardboard at the side of the bin. A weekly collection or bigger recycling bin would be perfect for us.

Garden waste collection every two weeks in the winter is a waste of money, people don't need it. Weekly in the summer would be great and monthly in the winter would work better.

Our general waste is normally only half full and that's mainly made up of cat litter, wouldn't want that hanging around for a month and stinking!

over a year ago

"We have fortnightly collections on our bins, general waste one week and recycling and garden waste the next.

Our recycling is always full and we often have to leave a box of cardboard at the side of the bin. A weekly collection or bigger recycling bin would be perfect for us.

Garden waste collection every two weeks in the winter is a waste of money, people don't need it. Weekly in the summer would be great and monthly in the winter would work better.

Our general waste is normally only half full and that's mainly made up of cat litter, wouldn't want that hanging around for a month and stinking!

"

its not what you want

its what your council decides

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

"We have fortnightly collections on our bins, general waste one week and recycling and garden waste the next.

its not what you want

its what your council decides"

Not now you've taken back control it's not

over a year ago

"

"

You can buy paper litter for cats and then it can be composted - although don't put it on your vegetable garden.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

"

You can buy paper litter for cats and then it can be composted - although don't put it on your vegetable garden."

I tried it but the little buggers wouldn't use it. Fortunately we compost the waste from our chickens which helps keep our general waste down.

We are generally very aware of what we throw away. Anything that is reusable and surplus to our requirements goes to the charity shop or if we're planning a tip run, to the reuse shop on site. We recycle everything that we can and compost everything that we can too. Food waste is something that we rarely have, if we cook too much it is used up in another meal or taken for lunch the following day.

Our only real issue with reduced bin collection would be the cat litter.........unfortunately we've been unable to train them to shit in the neighbour's garden so they always come home to use the tray

over a year ago

Except the fine for fly tipping

A mate of mine got a £80 wounded for dropping his fag in Chester ..imaging what two weeks worth of shite would get ?"

£20,000 fine and/or up to 6 month in prison. We have signs round here saying so.

By *leur de lisWoman
over a year ago

Buxton

People will just fly tip creating even more upheaval. Once a fortnight is bad enough in the summer.

over a year ago

If we were serious in the UK about recycling and reducing fly tipping council tips/recycling centres would be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and take unlimited amounts of anything from anyone, rather than having all the restrictions there currently are. Mind, that wouldn't raise lots of money so it won't happen. One in the south I used to take my stuff too had problems with queueing so they reduced the hours it's open to cure the queues. Hmmm.

Post new Message to Thread