Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

TV, an educational tool or not?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Can children and adults really learn from tv?

Do you feel TV has taught you anything?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes it's a wonderful tool for both kids and adults, yea there's alot of shite on there but some great programs too like that Atlantas lastnight on BBC1 it was wonderful x

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Can children and adults really learn from tv?

Do you feel TV has taught you anything?"

well it certainly helped me get my degree a good few years ago (Open University)

over a year ago

I'll agree britains got talent, x factor, big brother are all shite and show us what's wrong with today, everyone wants to become famous and make shit loads of dosh, in reality they just end up fucking footballers and become as beens.

over a year ago

Over the weekend I watched a fascinating programme on Louis XIV and his palace at Versailles - it bought history to life for me, brilliant programme.

I also recall watching a programme on T E Lawrence, that gave an insight into the middle east, and explained a lot about the hatred towards the west.

Thing is very few programmes of that calibre these days as they tend to make low end entertainment: shame really.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

It depends what programming you watch I suppose.

For instance the only thing Eastenders has taught me is to stay the fuck away from BBC 1 early evenings on week days.

Although on a positive note I have learned how to wash peoples' faces correctly and arrange stones in a decorative yet ordered manner from Makka Pakk off of the telly.

over a year ago

I saw that one too about Versailles very good too. Looks a beautiful place. On my to do list.

over a year ago

missed the one about versailles which is a shame being a few time now stunning place

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

...I'm assuming you're not referring to the likes of Soxy teaching us these lessons are you?

My Z-Day plan has been carefully formulated on various TV programs.

over a year ago

"I saw that one too about Versailles very good too. Looks a beautiful place. On my to do list."

Stunning: on my to do list too.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"It depends what programming you watch I suppose.

For instance the only thing Eastenders has taught me is to stay the fuck away from BBC 1 early evenings on week days.

Although on a positive note I have learned how to wash peoples' faces correctly and arrange stones in a decorative yet ordered manner from Makka Pakk off of the telly."

I'm going to meet iggle piggle and makka pakka on Saturday

th can be very educational if used correctly. It's parent who sit their kids down in front of the box for hours on end without any interaction with them that annoy me

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it depends.. me and my niece watch and learn loads of stuff on cbeebies, nick jr and playhouse disney...

I tend to watch more documentries.. so yes you can learn stuff if you go out and look for it....

over a year ago

As with everything else as long as its controlled correctly and supervised properly then TV can be an educational tool xx

By *icboyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

We will be able to combat your Z-plan, we know how to kill.

over a year ago

Very educational indeed, it show’s you just how good some men can look like women with a bit of effort

By *icboyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Very educational indeed, it show’s you just how good some men can look like women with a bit of effort "

And supervision.

over a year ago

Parents who constantly put kids in front of the tv should not have had them in the first place. It takes a person ot educate a child not a machine.

By *icboyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Parents who constantly put kids in front of the tv should not have had them in the first place. It takes a person ot educate a child not a machine."

Well said, but the TV does have its place if used properly. As not everyone can teach.

over a year ago

"Parents who constantly put kids in front of the tv should not have had them in the first place. It takes a person ot educate a child not a machine.

Well said, but the TV does have its place if used properly. As not everyone can teach. "

Everyone can teach their children no who they are. It happened for decades before the tv after all. Take your kids outside, let them see the world you live in and those are far better learning experiences.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Although on a positive note I have learned how to wash peoples' faces correctly and arrange stones in a decorative yet ordered manner from Makka Pakk off of the telly.

th can be very educational if used correctly. It's parent who sit their kids down in front of the box for hours on end without any interaction with them that annoy me "

No way!

I'm meeting them on Saturday too!!! You coming up my way for the ITNG gig?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

As a medium there are some very educational, informative, emotive programmes etc but...

.. also some programmes which are complete and utter sh*te, drivel and a waste of air time.

All a matter of taste and opinion of course!

TF for the off button and the radio

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"Yes it's a wonderful tool for both kids and adults, yea there's alot of shite on there but some great programs too like that Atlantas lastnight on BBC1 it was wonderful x"

I also watched Atlasntis last night - was a shame they tried to turn it into a love story (like Titanic etc) but it makes it watcheable for those who dont "think" they like history.

The better program will be the follow up tonight where they have unearthed new evidence etc.

Cant wait!!!

BUT - on the other side of that - for those morons who ONLY ever watch Eastenders and Towie etc who think thats that is all what lifes about - its a bloody shame and they need to go for a walk and see what REAL life is all around them on their own bloody street

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

th can be very educational if used correctly. It's parent who sit their kids down in front of the box for hours on end without any interaction with them that annoy me

No way!

I'm meeting them on Saturday too!!! You coming up my way for the ITNG gig?"

I didn't want to spoil the surprise but.......YES!!!!

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

The news is educational too,at a recent parents evening i was beaming after my youngest's teacher praised his world knowledge.This came from our dinner time discussions about world events on newsround.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

BUT - on the other side of that - for those morons who ONLY ever watch Eastenders and Towie etc who think thats that is all what lifes about - its a bloody shame and they need to go for a walk and see what REAL life is all around them on their own bloody street "

OMG, are you trying to tell us Eastenders isn't real ????

over a year ago

"

BUT - on the other side of that - for those morons who ONLY ever watch Eastenders and Towie etc who think thats that is all what lifes about - its a bloody shame and they need to go for a walk and see what REAL life is all around them on their own bloody street

"

No it aint real unlike Coronation street xx

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

No it aint real unlike Coronation street xx "

Gutted on the one hand but glad about Corrie being real

Post new Message to Thread