Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Requiem mass...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

...hope I've spelt it correctly- was at one today for a workmate- for those of you who believe......... does it make it easier?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"...hope I've spelt it correctly- was at one today for a workmate- for those of you who believe......... does it make it easier?"

as a non catholic i have been to a few masses and i have to say found it all a bit odd .my friend collapsed and died age 32 leaving behind a grieving husband and a 4 yr old daughter and a very close immediate family ...i couldnt quite see what the celebration was at her funeral ..i didnt see any of her family celebrating with the priest that she was in a better place,they just wanted her back alive!! id be interested to hear from catholics if it does make it easier ?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"...hope I've spelt it correctly- was at one today for a workmate- for those of you who believe......... does it make it easier?

as a non catholic i have been to a few masses and i have to say found it all a bit odd .my friend collapsed and died age 32 leaving behind a grieving husband and a 4 yr old daughter and a very close immediate family ...i couldnt quite see what the celebration was at her funeral ..i didnt see any of her family celebrating with the priest that she was in a better place,they just wanted her back alive!! id be interested to hear from catholics if it does make it easier ?"

That's what I was thinking.... I'd love to know what their faith gives them that I can't imagine .....

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My fathers side are all catholic oh and for me nothing more boring, especially the latin bit having to bless myself and having my head covered all seemed odd to me not believing

over a year ago

Remembering to cross yerself

Spectacles

Testacles

and

Watch

over a year ago

If you believe...

Yes it does help either a simple funeral service or a full requiem mass.

As a non believer you may gain some comfort in attending and being part of a collective memorial...

IMHO

over a year ago

i personally do not believe but i am quite comfortable in believing that there is nothing at the end i have no fear of death

but yet i fully understand and respect those that feel the need to believe in it and if it helps then why not

whatever gets ya through i guess

over a year ago

"If you believe...

Yes it does help either a simple funeral service or a full requiem mass.

As a non believer you may gain some comfort in attending and being part of a collective memorial...

IMHO"

im fine with normal funerals and i will always go to pay my respects ..the Op was talking about the catholic faith and the requiem mass which feels like they have come to celebrate a death at a time when everyone is grief stricken..as non catholics thats the hard part to understand ...for me it was the fact that there was no mention of the tragedy of a 32 year old woman losing her life .....just the celebration of moving on to a better place ...

over a year ago

Love the music, especially the one by Faure.

over a year ago

As someone who deals with death very badly, then yes, I personally find it comforting.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

i don't think you have to believe to find them helpful.Cloure ha become an overused term,but it is important we have a chance to say our goodbyes ,without it moving forward is very difficult.

How we mark important events is i strongly believe a sign of our common humanity.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

closure,bloody keyboard.

over a year ago

"..the Op was talking about the catholic faith and the requiem mass which feels like they have come to celebrate a death at a time when everyone is grief stricken..as non catholics thats the hard part to understand ...for me it was the fact that there was no mention of the tragedy of a 32 year old woman losing her life .....just the celebration of moving on to a better place ..."

I cannot speak about catholics... As a high CofE, at funeral and requiem, we celebrate the "life" of the recently departed and that although they are sadly no longer physically with us... We, as believers, can find comfort in the certainty of the love of our God.

{these thoughts may not comfort us this day in the sadness of OUR loss... But in the future...}

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/05/11 14:59:16]

Post new Message to Thread