Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sexualising children

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I saw a programme a few weeks ago (reading the child botox thread reminded me) about how retailers are producing sexy clothing for girls aged 6 and above. Things like padded bras, tiny little shorts with the words Angel in diamante, sexual type slogans like "Im hot" on the front of tshirts, etc.

I dont have girls but even when shopping in places like Next, the clothing for girls tends to be just a miniature replica of the womens clothes. Ive seen countless fitted type dresses with thin spaghetti straps, or with a bustier type bodice for girls as young as 7. A lot of girls shoes have heels now, sometimes 2" high.

Do you think we do push our children to grow up far too young. Or are we of an age now where our children want this kind of clothing and dont wish to look babyish.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

"I saw a programme a few weeks ago (reading the child botox thread reminded me) about how retailers are producing sexy clothing for girls aged 6 and above. Things like padded bras, tiny little shorts with the words Angel in diamante, sexual type slogans like "Im hot" on the front of tshirts, etc.

I dont have girls but even when shopping in places like Next, the clothing for girls tends to be just a miniature replica of the womens clothes. Ive seen countless fitted type dresses with thin spaghetti straps, or with a bustier type bodice for girls as young as 7. A lot of girls shoes have heels now, sometimes 2" high.

Do you think we do push our children to grow up far too young. Or are we of an age now where our children want this kind of clothing and dont wish to look babyish. "

I think children should be allowed to remain children. You can dress children nicely in age appropriate clothing with out having to put them in sexy clothing. I personally cringe when i see very young children dressed like this, yes and i know some people will say but their children want those clothes, however if your child asked for an alcholic drink cigerette at a young age would you give it to them, I dont think so. They have to be grown ups a lot longer, so let them be children for as long as neccesary

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My mother and friends always say its a blessing i didnt have a girl as she would still be in pigtails and ankle socks at 20. Children should be children

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

ive got all boy hate to see little girl dressed older then they are

over a year ago

Hate it! My daughter is 11 and thankfully a tom boy still. I still have the argument with my ex over him allowing her to wear padded bra's, at 11 shes a c cup, which she hates so you can imagine what padded bra's make her look like!

over a year ago

My friend's daughter asked me to take her shoe shopping for school shoes- she was most dissapointed when I took her to Clarks..... she was under the impression I would buy her fabulous, glittery shoes as I always wear heels- she has now accepted that glittery shoes are only for parties and grown-ups........simply because I refused to back down

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

just had a quick look through photo album, as it got me thinking, and up until the age of around 14yrs my eldest(yes she is a diva and a fashion victim) always wore the clothes we bought her, they had very little say in what she wore, that was until she started to buy here own with her pocket/birthday/xmas money, then we had little say. the youngest still dresses for comfort and she is now 20.

over a year ago

Just watch that American garbage, 'Toddlers and Tiaras' .... that is the sickest, nastiest and cheesiest sexualisation of children that I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

The parents should all be shot with shit for doing that to their kids

Post new Message to Thread