Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Neil Gaiman...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who else is a fan?

I'm just starting Smoke And Mirrors after reading a couple of stories from it years ago, and his imagination always amazes me. I think he's so underrated

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Yeah I'm a fan, I started with Sandman in the 80s and he keeps getting better. The Ocean at the End of the Lane was fantastic. Really looking forward to the American Gods tv series

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Very underrated yes, I love his stuff and so many stories that have been adapted. I love how dark his writing is

Beard

By *GHertsCouple
over a year ago

North Herts

I am!

Love his imagination, and the uncanny way he somehow writes about just the sort of dark, gothy, supernatural tales I (and clearly loads of others) love to read in a very clever, funny and appealing way.

Neverwhere, with its depiction of an alternative London that was also very familiar is one of my favourite books

Ms G

over a year ago

My only experience of his work is one of my all time favourite, read it over and over again, books Good Omens, on which he collaborated with the brilliant, witty and much missed Terry Pratchett. I'm already on my third copy as I read the first two to destruction. Love it.

By *obwithkiltMan
over a year ago

Belton

Have quite a few of his..favourite is stardust and the graveyard book...my elderly copy of good omens is only touched every now and then...it's signed with 'burn this book' and 999

By *obwithkiltMan
over a year ago

Belton

Also you tube has footage of an evening with him and his wife Amanda Palmer. .worth a gander too

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Neil's great,Amanda less so... Did anyone see the Bowie tribute she was part of at the Albert Hall? God awful

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

Worked in a paper recycling plant many years ago, his comics used to come in off the wh smith lorries, along with loads of marvel and dc. Had a lot of time on my hands, done alot of reading, thoroughly enjoyed his pnuematic man story.

over a year ago

When I read neverwhere I lived in London and travelled the tube everyday. Thanks to Mr gaiman I never looked at that tube map in quite the same way.

Imagination combined with serendipity... the evocative sometimes challenging nature of his writing is exquisite

over a year ago

"When I read neverwhere I lived in London and travelled the tube everyday. Thanks to Mr gaiman I never looked at that tube map in quite the same way.

Imagination combined with serendipity... the evocative sometimes challenging nature of his writing is exquisite"

Big fan. There was an excellent adaptation of Neverwhere on the radio, with James Mcavoy.

over a year ago

Resurrecting this dead thread because I've just finished The Sandman and am half way through Neverwhere.

What should I read next? I do have The Ocean at the End of The Lane & American Gods. (which I've owned for years and never got round to reading )

I am just so in love with the characters & worlds Gaiman creates. Proper escapism in written form.

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

Ocean at the end of the lane is great but American God's is next level. One of my absolute favourite books

over a year ago

"Resurrecting this dead thread because I've just finished The Sandman and am half way through Neverwhere.

What should I read next? I do have The Ocean at the End of The Lane & American Gods. (which I've owned for years and never got round to reading )

I am just so in love with the characters & worlds Gaiman creates. Proper escapism in written form. "

I love Mr Gaiman with every fibre of my being! The Graveyard Book is lovely, but my favourite is his short stories collection Smoke and Mirrors.

over a year ago

Sunderland

I like his appearance on The Simpsons where he admits to be illiterate

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

I could not get into Sandman.

I also became doubtful about Neil Gaiman in regard to the comic "Neverwhere" which I really enjoyed particularly the character the Marquis De Carabas who was white in the comic, which was no big deal because back then most comic characters were white, so I thought nothing if it.

I then discovered that the comic was based on a TV series by Neil Gaimen and Lenny Henry. I bought the dvd and in the TV series the Marquis De Carabas is larger than life and brilliant. The only thing was that he was played by a black man.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson_Joseph

This extract from a website states:

"I’ve just been reading 'Neverwhere’ a book by Neil Gaiman.

"I didn’t realise, reading it, that it was adapted from a TV show, until I looked online for pictures of the characters. The actual book description describes a character, the Marquis de Carabas, as having 'extremely dark skin’."

When I looked into it (and this was some years ago when the comic came out), the articles available online that I read stated the change was made to appease the American publishers of the comic. So I am not a fan of Neil Gaiman.

over a year ago

I'm surprised.

He's getting some idiotic tweets at the moment for the casting of Kirby Howell-Baptist as Death, which he's pushed back at.

I've went off to find some more info, and it's actually worse. Glenn Fabry, the arist actually depicted Marquis de Carabas in 'blackface'. I would really like to hear Gaiman's opinion on this, especially like I say, after some of the tweets he has been getting.

over a year ago

"I love Mr Gaiman with every fibre of my being! The Graveyard Book is lovely, but my favourite is his short stories collection Smoke and Mirrors."

Thanks. I'll buy these once I've finished my to read pile.

over a year ago

The book of American Gods is a masterclass.

I like lots of his anyway. Sandman is also a banger

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/08/22 02:41:45]

over a year ago

Maybe I should retract my last statement.

Apparently Marquis de Carabas wasn't even meant to be human in the graphic novel adaptation. I could read more into it but it's almost 3am so I'll leave that for tomorrow.

But I will definitely check out the TV show as I think Paterson Joseph is a great actor.

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"I could not get into Sandman.

I also became doubtful about Neil Gaiman in regard to the comic "Neverwhere" which I really enjoyed particularly the character the Marquis De Carabas who was white in the comic, which was no big deal because back then most comic characters were white, so I thought nothing if it.

I then discovered that the comic was based on a TV series by Neil Gaimen and Lenny Henry. I bought the dvd and in the TV series the Marquis De Carabas is larger than life and brilliant. The only thing was that he was played by a black man.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson_Joseph

This extract from a website states:

"I’ve just been reading 'Neverwhere’ a book by Neil Gaiman.

"I didn’t realise, reading it, that it was adapted from a TV show, until I looked online for pictures of the characters. The actual book description describes a character, the Marquis de Carabas, as having 'extremely dark skin’."

When I looked into it (and this was some years ago when the comic came out), the articles available online that I read stated the change was made to appease the American publishers of the comic. So I am not a fan of Neil Gaiman.

"

It's likely (and I'm just going on industry knowledge, I haven't checked) that Gaiman had no say in the creative for the graphic novel. Carey/Fabry were the team, Gaiman would only be credited as creator of the original (TV/radio/novel), and anything in that work would have been adaptation of his work into a product that Gaiman had no part in and legally could not change or stop.

...which is basically why Alan Moore has been a proper angry bastard for decades, he has no say in what happens to his creations like Watchmen and From Hell.

Like I said, I'm assuming and would have to check but it's so common for property rights to change and the creator being left out.

Much like Sandman (which is my favourite but you are justified in not getting into, I know many who didn't), it took 30 years to see a screen because Gaiman did retain control in an extremely rare contract, and he wouldn't let it be made if it wasn't right.

...wow, that was a lot for an 'it's likely' beginning, sorry

over a year ago

Sunderland

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but if you've not read it then Good Omens is an absolutely fantastic book. Helped of course by the fact its a collaboration between 2 of my favourite authors

over a year ago

"Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but if you've not read it then Good Omens is an absolutely fantastic book. Helped of course by the fact its a collaboration between 2 of my favourite authors "

And one of our favourite authors.... don't forget TP! X

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

"Surprised it hasn't been mentioned but if you've not read it then Good Omens is an absolutely fantastic book. Helped of course by the fact its a collaboration between 2 of my favourite authors "

It's a very good book.. yes a fan here too...

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"Resurrecting this dead thread because I've just finished The Sandman and am half way through Neverwhere.

I am just so in love with the characters & worlds Gaiman creates. Proper escapism in written form.

I love Mr Gaiman with every fibre of my being! The Graveyard Book is lovely, but my favourite is his short stories collection Smoke and Mirrors."

Love love this. And also the fact you're here posting on this. Sandman is so good! I'll WA you later because otherwise this thread will be full of gushing sentimentality to a genius who'll never read this.

Trigger Warning is another fantastic anthology.

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

Black Orchid is one of my favs by him. Sumptuous artwork too.

The Graveyard book and Neverwhere have some great characters and set pieces, but i think he only really hit maximum creative paydirt (in his novels) with American Gods.

Which i also think owes a hefty debt to Stephen King.

On a side note, anyone having issues with the directing in Sandman? Only watched the first episode so far, but I've a few issues..!

Post new Message to Thread