Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

AV for dummies!!

Jump to newest

By *razydriver8 OP   Couple
over a year ago

plymouth

ok can some one explain to me ( the dummy) in simple words and phrases how the AV would work..

as a support worker with adults with LD i now need to try and explain it to them... HELP.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

" ok can some one explain to me ( the dummy) in simple words and phrases how the AV would work..

as a support worker with adults with LD i now need to try and explain it to them... HELP. "

okay... instead of just voting for one person which we have at the moment (first past the post) with AV you rank the candidates in order of preference....

for any one candidate to win, you must get 50% of the preferences...

so if they dont get 50% straight away, they knock out the lowest and count their next preference... and so on and so on until someone gets 50%

thats about as simple as i can discribe it

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Its easy you vote for who you want in numerical order then you actually get someone who no-one wanted. Simples

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

" ok can some one explain to me ( the dummy) in simple words and phrases how the AV would work..

as a support worker with adults with LD i now need to try and explain it to them... HELP.

okay... instead of just voting for one person which we have at the moment (first past the post) with AV you rank the candidates in order of preference....

so if they dont get 50% straight away, they knock out the lowest and count their next preference... and so on and so on until someone gets 50%

thats about as simple as i can discribe it"

Or a more simplistic way is every loser wins xx

By *mumaWoman
over a year ago

Livingston

"Or a more simplistic way is every loser wins xx "

That a cue for a song??

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

well i am voting yes tomorrow... so naaaaaaah!!!!!

over a year ago

plymouth

thats about as simple as i can discribe it"

thanks Fabio.. i've written it down and added some cool pictures to try and support them to understand.

and i understand it a bit better myself now lol but still not sure which is best.

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

There's an excellent piece of video on YouTube where Dan Snow explains the whole thing in just over two minutes in very straightforward terms that anybody could understand (well, I did!).

Guessing I can't provide a link here, but should be easy enough to G***gle

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"There's an excellent piece of video on YouTube where Dan Snow explains the whole thing in just over two minutes in very straightforward terms that anybody could understand (well, I did!).

"

yes you can link to youtube

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"There's an excellent piece of video on YouTube where Dan Snow explains the whole thing in just over two minutes in very straightforward terms that anybody could understand (well, I did!).

"

found the dan snow link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtW3QkX8Xa0

over a year ago

plymouth

found the dan snow one thanks... have shared it with my work mates too ,, as it really explains it in a way the guys i support my be able to understand better.. thanks you guys..

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple
over a year ago

hexham

as a support worker with adults with LD i now need to try and explain it to them... HELP. "

This is how i explained it to my kids...

You are in a restaurant,you want ice cream for pudding.What favour do you want?

Chocolate you reply.

What is there isnt any chocoate?

Then i dont want ice cream.

This is first pat the post.Your option wins,or you get nothing.

Re run the conversation,

If there is no chocolate what would you like next?

Strawberry they reply,

No strawberry?

Mint Chocolate chip.

No Mint?

Vanilla.

This is av.

This only explains the concepts not the mechanics but i hope it helps.

over a year ago

Think its outrageous that they’re expecting people to vote for parties they don’t want elected, especially when that said vote can elect a party if it’s a close call

Voting YES to this is like asking for a show of hands and you sticking your hand up for every candidate, it much like being forced to vote for parties you don’t want albeit in descending order.

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

"

Voting YES to this is like asking for a show of hands and you sticking your hand up for every candidate, it much like being forced to vote for parties you don’t want albeit in descending order.

"

No, it really isn't. If there are five (say) boxes on the voting sheet, and one or more of them is a party you would never vote for in a million years, you simply don't put anything in that box. You only vote (in order) for those you DO like.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Think its outrageous that they’re expecting people to vote for parties they don’t want elected, especially when that said vote can elect a party if it’s a close call

"

One of the common misconceptions....

actually.... that is NOT TRUE........

I have taken this from the AV website....

Do I have to rank every candidate?

Short answer: No.

More detailed answer: The AV option being proposed for the UK does not require voters to rank every candidate on the ballot. If you want to vote for only one person, you can do that – in other words, vote exactly as you would under the current system. You can rank as many or as few candidates as you want. If there are 8 names on the ballot, and you’re only comfortable ranking three of them, you can do that. If you want to rank all 8, you can do that too.

over a year ago

"

No, it really isn't. If there are five (say) boxes on the voting sheet, and one or more of them is a party you would never vote for in a million years, you simply don't put anything in that box. You only vote (in order) for those you DO like."

Well people will always vote for the party they want first and foremost, their second choice will always be a second choice so why even change it?

Like someone said before, its like being asked in a restuarant to make three choices for each course when you order when the first choice WILL always be available.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I can't see the point in saying yes if you would still stick with voting for just one candidate.

I think it should be one or the other.

Nothing to do with the question but commenting on _abios quote from the AV site.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I can't see the point in saying yes if you would still stick with voting for just one candidate.

Nothing to do with the question but commenting on _abios quote from the AV site.

"

one of the major arguements of the NO campaign is what "sticky moments" put up.. that you will have to rank parties you don't like... bit like me for example having to vote for the BNP....

for me it has the be fairer that there is some sort of consensus rather than someone winning without getting an overall majority of the votes.... bit like me saying, I vote for the greens first, but then i wouldn't mind in the labour or the lib dem but there is not way i'd ever vote conservative

if you only have 1 preference, put down 1... if you have some that you wouldn't mind... rank them....

I done see what the issue is... plus like i said you get a better consensus of what people are actually interested in

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I can't see the point in saying yes if you would still stick with voting for just one candidate.

one of the major arguements of the NO campaign is what "sticky moments" put up.. that you will have to rank parties you don't like... bit like me for example having to vote for the BNP....

for me it has the be fairer that there is some sort of consensus rather than someone winning without getting an overall majority of the votes.... bit like me saying, I vote for the greens first, but then i wouldn't mind in the labour or the lib dem but there is not way i'd ever vote conservative

if you only have 1 preference, put down 1... if you have some that you wouldn't mind... rank them....

I done see what the issue is... plus like i said you get a better consensus of what people are actually interested in

"

Ah I didn't think of your first sentance, of having to vote for people you really don't want to if you have to tick every box.

I am still in the first past the post vote right now though, to leave it as it is, especially after I just saw a clip from an old Auf Wiedersehen Pet episode. They all voted for something the same way, and the yellow colour won, even though none of them liked yellow, but it had the most votes

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

"I am still in the first past the post vote right now though, to leave it as it is, especially after I just saw a clip from an old Auf Wiedersehen Pet episode. They all voted for something the same way, and the yellow colour won, even though none of them liked yellow, but it had the most votes "

Comes back to the point made above - you don't HAVE to vote for a second choice if you don't like any of the other choices. If you don't like yellow under AV, nobody would vote for it, so it wouldn't win. In that scene, several of them obviously put it down as second (or third!) choice.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"I am still in the first past the post vote right now though, to leave it as it is, especially after I just saw a clip from an old Auf Wiedersehen Pet episode. They all voted for something the same way, and the yellow colour won, even though none of them liked yellow, but it had the most votes

Comes back to the point made above - you don't HAVE to vote for a second choice if you don't like any of the other choices. If you don't like yellow under AV, nobody would vote for it, so it wouldn't win. In that scene, several of them obviously put it down as second (or third!) choice."

I know that, I read what Fabio put

I was just laughing at the clip I saw and laughing at the fact that as there were only a couple of people putting yellow as their last choice, it still won....I am sure there will be more people voting in the real world than the six that where then on the clip

over a year ago

Doesn't really matter if you only need to make one choice or not, the bottom line is any party can win an election by being voted second or third choice.

Would rather have a hung parliment with more policies being considered than give someone full power through cast off voting.

over a year ago

One things for sure, whether we say yes to AV or not, the Tory, lib-dem relationship is gonna be fragile on Friday morning!

S.

over a year ago

voting yes for av would be good for clegg and the only way a rag tag party such as his would gain any power in the future so i'll be voting no.

over a year ago

Its all bollocks what ever way you vote a stuck up bastard always gets in.

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

What happens if they're all eejits?

over a year ago

"What happens if they're all eejits? "

What do you me IF??? They all are!

Post new Message to Thread