Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Windows call scam

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

I had a call from someone who sounded Indian who told me he was working for windows tech team today. He tried to tell me my computer had a virus, and i needed to turn the computer on. Straight away i sussed it was a scam, so i asked him how windows had got hold of my name and number when ive never given them any of my information. He tried to bluff and tell me it was my internet provider who had told them, but when i asked him who that was, he couldnt tell me. So i told him i knew he was a scammer and put the phone down.

What i suspect he was trying to do was get me to let him remotely access my computer, which would no doubt let him put some software on my computer allowing him access at any time.

Has anyone else had this sort of phone call?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

yep had that a cpl weeks ago...let him go on for a few minutes with his rubbish and then told him to go f... himself...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've been targeted in the past too. They're a Luton based scammer. All I did was google their number and its there for all to see. Glad you caught them out.

over a year ago

I have my voicemail on all the time, that way i can choose who to call back. The majority dont leave messages, the number isnt available so i guess they are just scammers

over a year ago

"I had a call from someone who sounded Indian who told me he was working for windows tech team today. He tried to tell me my computer had a virus, and i needed to turn the computer on. Straight away i sussed it was a scam, so i asked him how windows had got hold of my name and number when ive never given them any of my information. He tried to bluff and tell me it was my internet provider who had told them, but when i asked him who that was, he couldnt tell me. So i told him i knew he was a scammer and put the phone down.

What i suspect he was trying to do was get me to let him remotely access my computer, which would no doubt let him put some software on my computer allowing him access at any time.

Has anyone else had this sort of phone call? "

yes we had it a few months ago.. exactly the same and reportd to windows, they know there is a scam happening and trying their best to track the peron down

over a year ago

ive had it aswell from 2 diff people one indian sounding girl and an indian sounding guy both very persistant i ended up telling them both to F off and hung up

By *ustyWoman
over a year ago

inverclyde

yes i had that as well cpl weeks ago, i too asked how they got my number as i never gave it out and also am ex directory again he never replied i got the same as you, i put phone down on him

over a year ago

aye it happened to my gran, she believed it and was going along with them untill i asked her what she was doing, when i told her it was a scam she hung up but they phoned back 22 TIMES in a half hour.

over a year ago

its a common scam call

but its off the back o legitmate stuff

dell have an alert thing that makes em call ya when your system is humped

my pal at work got a call weeks back telling him similar story

he thought it was a scam and fecked em off

i ended up with his pc for about 7 days fixing it from 20 odd thousand infections - he had got pumped by a worm !

the guy on the phone had told him it was a worm and on hindsight may have been legitamate

unfortunately in this day and age its a dodgy caller

so anyone getting theese calls - especially dell folks - run full scans in safe mode and just double check

cos im not gonna fix it for ya

over a year ago

Tell them you run Linux and see what they sat then

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

"I had a call from someone who sounded Indian who told me he was working for windows tech team today. He tried to tell me my computer had a virus, and i needed to turn the computer on. Straight away i sussed it was a scam, so i asked him how windows had got hold of my name and number when ive never given them any of my information. He tried to bluff and tell me it was my internet provider who had told them, but when i asked him who that was, he couldnt tell me. So i told him i knew he was a scammer and put the phone down.

Has anyone else had this sort of phone call? "

hubby had call today from somaone sounding indian and told him the same thing, hubby also hung up on him , so beware there are still at this scam

over a year ago

oo had this about a year ago i just hung up

over a year ago

another one i had was someone telling me ny loan had been approved for 10,000 and could be put in my bank straight away i said its ok send me a check they said they could but would need my first payment immediately could i give them my accound details so they could debit it ffs i hung up but they kept ringing over n over they got the shatp edge of my tongue i can tell ya

over a year ago

ive had this several times, i keep then talking pretending to be interested, then when im bored i tell em the truth , i use a mac!

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

have had the bank one as well, now they just send me messages via mobile

over a year ago

Had this too. Same story, Indian telling me I had a virus. Turned the pc on, followed his instructions for 5 minutes, then he said he couldn't 'see' my pc so we went through it all again and still he couldn't 'see' my pc... and that's when I told him it wasn't connected to the internet and could he pop round and fix it instead.

He hung up.

Post new Message to Thread