Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hiking/Long Distance Walking and Swinging*

Jump to newest

By *erbyDalesCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

So, are there any seasoned hikers in the house? People who walk the National Trails etc?

We're building up to walking Hadrian's Wall and are just about to consider the coastal section of the Cleveland Way.

Interested to discuss practicalities, tips etc.

Ta

Mr ddc

*(Ps. I just added that bit so you'd look. Sorry )

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The brother-in-law did a chunk of Hadrian's Wall a couple of years ago. He did Offa's Dyke too and somewhere really north in Scotland this year.

I don't think there was any swinging involved.

By *ee wonky willieMan
over a year ago

glasgow

Hadrians wall is quite a gentle but enjoyable walk. A good pair of boots and waterproofs are a must due to weather shifts. Take enough food to sustain your energy until you return..

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"The brother-in-law did a chunk of Hadrian's Wall a couple of years ago. He did Offa's Dyke too and somewhere really north in Scotland this year.

"

Did he do Offa's Duke all in one go? I'm shocked by how long some of them are! We're only up to 38 miles over 2 nights so far. The next one is planned to be a 3-nighter, 51 miles.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Hadrians wall is quite a gentle but enjoyable walk. A good pair of boots and waterproofs are a must due to weather shifts. Take enough food to sustain your energy until you return.. "

How long did it take you? Were you camping on route? What about the availability of water?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

3 nights and 51 miles sounds like a good trip! Always a fan of hillwalking and of course swinging lol

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"The brother-in-law did a chunk of Hadrian's Wall a couple of years ago. He did Offa's Dyke too and somewhere really north in Scotland this year.

Did he do Offa's Duke all in one go? I'm shocked by how long some of them are! We're only up to 38 miles over 2 nights so far. The next one is planned to be a 3-nighter, 51 miles. "

No. He and his walking chums pick a chunk of wherever they are going and do a three night trip with B&Bs booked along the way.

They spend ages doing route-planning and looking up interesting facts to share with each other about the area they are visiting.

Standard walking gear and prep but they always fail to take sunscreen and then get caught out and come back with bright pink heads.

over a year ago

Love walking Peak District. Some amazing routes to practice on. Some less popular good for photo opportunitys.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

No. He and his walking chums pick a chunk of wherever they are going and do a three night trip with B&Bs booked along the way.

"

Most people we've spoken to do it that way, many with someone transferring their stuff for them. The rest seem to favour breaking it down even further and just doing daily chunks over a few weeks.

"

They spend ages doing route-planning and looking up interesting facts to share with each other about the area they are visiting.

Standard walking gear and prep but they always fail to take sunscreen and then get caught out and come back with bright pink heads.

"

They should have used a tickable spreadsheet. What could possibly go wrong?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/09/16 22:52:40]

over a year ago

"So, are there any seasoned hikers in the house? People who walk the National Trails etc?

We're building up to walking Hadrian's Wall and are just about to consider the coastal section of the Cleveland Way.

Interested to discuss practicalities, tips etc.

Ta

Mr ddc

*(Ps. I just added that bit so you'd look. Sorry )"

I go hiking in the countryside around my town, there are lots of walks as it is in an area of outstanding natural beauty..

I'd like to do the Wales Coastal path one day, and I have done a bit of Hadrians wall.. I did once meet a fellow fabber to go hiking up to Moel Famau, which was a different kind of social..

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Love walking Peak District. Some amazing routes to practice on. Some less popular good for photo opportunitys.

"

We started on the Limestone Way, then did he Six Dales Trail in Yorkshire the other week.

No photos yet, we're too knackered

May have to rectify that for Mrs SB's weekend pics...

By *obwithkiltMan
over a year ago

Belton

"Love walking Peak District. Some amazing routes to practice on. Some less popular good for photo opportunitys.

We started on the Limestone Way, then did he Six Dales Trail in Yorkshire the other week.

No photos yet, we're too knackered

May have to rectify that for Mrs SB's weekend pics..."

Regularly did bits of pennine way and did a big chunk of dales way too some years back...and my time for Yorkshire 3 peaks is just over 12hrs

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I'd like to do the Wales Coastal path one day, and I have done a bit of Hadrians wall.. I did once meet a fellow fabber to go hiking up to Moel Famau, which was a different kind of social.. "

Mrs ddc prefers the Coastal ones too. I'm just worried the tent will blow away! (especially if she forgets the pegs again... )

By *not69Man
over a year ago

Burnley

A couple of years ago a few friends and I did the west highland way over 5 days. We camped along the way and had 2 guys in a support vehicle packing up the tent and erecting it ready fur the next night. All we carried was day sacks. There are companies that will transport your gear each day xx

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"A couple of years ago a few friends and I did the west highland way over 5 days. We camped along the way and had 2 guys in a support vehicle packing up the tent and erecting it ready fur the next night. All we carried was day sacks. There are companies that will transport your gear each day xx"

Well that's just cheating

You can't be all manly and Bear Grylls once they discover you have a support vehicle!

over a year ago

"I'd like to do the Wales Coastal path one day, and I have done a bit of Hadrians wall.. I did once meet a fellow fabber to go hiking up to Moel Famau, which was a different kind of social..

Mrs ddc prefers the Coastal ones too. I'm just worried the tent will blow away! (especially if she forgets the pegs again... )"

brings a whole new meaning to pegging

i'd also like to do the coast to coast walk, which of course is a famous Wainwright walk.. will have to wait til the sprog is older though lol

By *not69Man
over a year ago

Burnley

"A couple of years ago a few friends and I did the west highland way over 5 days. We camped along the way and had 2 guys in a support vehicle packing up the tent and erecting it ready fur the next night. All we carried was day sacks. There are companies that will transport your gear each day xx

Well that's just cheating

You can't be all manly and Bear Grylls once they discover you have a support vehicle!

"

That was just a walk we went on lol , then up ben Nevis the day after. We do our wild camping in the lakes using army ponchos for cover, or a cave. The 'Priest's Hole' is a brilliant little cave with amazing views to wake up to in the morning

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I'd like to do the Wales Coastal path one day, and I have done a bit of Hadrians wall.. I did once meet a fellow fabber to go hiking up to Moel Famau, which was a different kind of social..

Mrs ddc prefers the Coastal ones too. I'm just worried the tent will blow away! (especially if she forgets the pegs again... )"

After my 'punishment' I don't think I'll forget the poles and pegs again!

Mrs DDC

over a year ago

Derbyshire

" We do our wild camping in the lakes using army ponchos for cover, or a cave. The 'Priest's Hole' is a brilliant little cave with amazing views to wake up to in the morning "

We considered Bivvy bags, but settled on a lightweight Vango tent. I just thought it would be easier (and warmer). The last time we spent one of the nights just in the open air, since it was given dry.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

i'd also like to do the coast to coast walk, which of course is a famous Wainwright walk.. will have to wait til the sprog is older though lol"

That's also the reason we've only just been able to start recently.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I took nipper up to Snowdonia this summer, which was nice (I was at college in Bangor) and we wandered up the Glyderau and for whatever reason (moslty bilberry related) gpt most of the way up Tryfan.....

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I took nipper up to Snowdonia this summer, which was nice (I was at college in Bangor) and we wandered up the Glyderau and for whatever reason (moslty bilberry related) got most of the way up Tryfan....."

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

I walked to the local shop this morning to get some fags and a Diet Coke.

I'm lying down now.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I walked to the local shop this morning to get some fags and a Diet Coke.

I'm lying down now."

Was it like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6Wv6i1GCc

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"I walked to the local shop this morning to get some fags and a Diet Coke.

I'm lying down now.

Was it like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6Wv6i1GCc

"

Similar but without the crampons

over a year ago

We used to love going hiking and camping pre kids, then did very little (other than traditional camping) after they came along.

Recently tested the kids now they're a little older, with a walk up Cardingmill Valley and they loved it, and now looking at doing Geocaching as an added element of fun with them. They're quite excited about going "treasure hunting"

By *aughtymale1Man
over a year ago

Sandbach

Have done over a dozen National Trails, including Hadrian's and Cleveland.

Key advice:

- If staying in B&Bs book ahead

- Do not be over-ambitious in distance per day (weather can turn, something can delay, you may want to stop and look at things, avoid finding selves on a treadmill to try to keep up)

- Reduce the weight you're carrying. Take the absolute minimum and wash clothes through overnight. I don't take any footwear than my walking boots for example. (They are less dirty after a 100 miles of National Trail walking than a winter day hike - trail quality is very good with hardly any mud patches).

Happy to take pm's if you have specific questions.

By *nne CallanWoman
over a year ago

Nothing to see here. Please move along.

My other half has done the 4 days marches in nijmegen Holland 25 times. The distances are between 30 and 50 km a day depending on age. I don't think he has done any walking in the UK

over a year ago

Derbyshire

(Thank you - I'm not ignoring you, I'll be back here later when I have more time )

over a year ago

I do a lot of hill walking in my local area as i'm lucky to live near a near a Forestry park and a nature reserve, both of which have lots of different trails.

over a year ago

Can't keep me off my hills.blowin a gale today. Must do the Pennine Way and Hadrains wall path sometime. Keep doing bits but need to do them end2end. West Highland Way needs doing also.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

"Can't keep me off my hills.blowin a gale today. Must do the Pennine Way and Hadrains wall path sometime. Keep doing bits but need to do them end2end. West Highland Way needs doing also."

One of the nice things about the West Highland Way , being an old drovers route there is a pub/hotel at the end of each days walking, most have a field attached so you can camp too

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Have done over a dozen National Trails, including Hadrian's and Cleveland.

- Do not be over-ambitious in distance per day (weather can turn, something can delay, you may want to stop and look at things, avoid finding selves on a treadmill to try to keep up)"

what daily distances do you plan on average? We were walking 8am-12 and 3-7pm and achieved between 15 & 18 miles a day. (The long break in the middle was to avoid the hottest part and to give us some flexibility each day)

"- Reduce the weight you're carrying. Take the absolute minimum and wash clothes through overnight. I don't take any footwear than my walking boots for example"
We're pretty much down to the basics, but food and water are the big variables. The first one we started with enough water for the whole three days, but the last one we experimented with using river water for cooking & boiled drinks, plus treating it for cold drinking water. We were down to carrying a maximum of 1½ litres.

I guess with food it's just a question of finding where there are shops along the way? (if you're going for more than 3 or 4 days) Again, so far we've started with everything, apart from those days we know we'll hit a pub at lunchtime.

Frankly when we see the length of some of the trails, the mind boggles

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"My other half has done the 4 days marches in nijmegen Holland 25 times. The distances are between 30 and 50 km a day depending on age. I don't think he has done any walking in the UK "

Blimey, I know it's flat over there, but we're a long way from achieving 50km/day

By *ndykinkyMan
over a year ago

STOKE-ON-TRENT

Done the Cleveland Way years ago and the Three Peaks in Yorkshire.

over a year ago

I suffered a stress fracture in my knee running around Hadrian's Wall last month! It's not as gentle as all that!

Stunning views (and 2 weeks off work) made up for it though

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Can't keep me off my hills.blowin a gale today. Must do the Pennine Way and Hadrains wall path sometime. Keep doing bits but need to do them end2end. West Highland Way needs doing also.

One of the nice things about the West Highland Way , being an old drovers route there is a pub/hotel at the end of each days walking, most have a field attached so you can camp too "

One of the people we met on the Six Dales recommended the West Highland Way (though he too was only walking with a day-sack with organised daily support)

By *aughtymale1Man
over a year ago

Sandbach

[Removed by poster at 29/09/16 21:26:31]

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Done the Cleveland Way years ago"
In one go, unsupported? Spill the beans

By *aughtymale1Man
over a year ago

Sandbach

- Do not be over-ambitious in distance per day (weather can turn, something can delay, you may want to stop and look at things, avoid finding selves on a treadmill to try to keep up)

what daily distances do you plan on average? We were walking 8am-12 and 3-7pm and achieved between 15 & 18 miles a day. (The long break in the middle was to avoid the hottest part and to give us some flexibility each day)

- Reduce the weight you're carrying. Take the absolute minimum and wash clothes through overnight. I don't take any footwear than my walking boots for example We're pretty much down to the basics, but food and water are the big variables. The first one we started with enough water for the whole three days, but the last one we experimented with using river water for cooking & boiled drinks, plus treating it for cold drinking water. We were down to carrying a maximum of 1½ litres.

I guess with food it's just a question of finding where there are shops along the way? (if you're going for more than 3 or 4 days) Again, so far we've started with everything, apart from those days we know we'll hit a pub at lunchtime.

Frankly when we see the length of some of the trails, the mind boggles "

My normal speed (day walking) is probably about 2.25-2.75 mph depending on terrain. My standard assumption now is to plan for 1.5 mph on National Trails. This allows plenty of time to take in the scenery and allows for any delays. On trails like first half of Ridgeway, or easy parts of trails use 2 to 2.25mph. I have lost count of people taking their day walk speed and wrecking themselves by day 5. Terrain matters too - the amount of ascent should be factored in for planning.

Water is the key weight factor if you are ruthless with all else. I stay in B&B's and adjust the water amount each day. I carry lightweight empty plastic bottle(s) - if next day with no easy replenishment fill up at B&B before set off. Pubs and cafes generally fine about filling up en route too. Food - I eat a very big breakfast and carry high energy low weight snacks. Usually can find some café or pub at some point in the day. Pubs are closing all the time - so never assume that an advertised pub or café in guidebooks are still in business. On the Cleveland Way another thing to check is the one stretch of beach you have cross (near Runswick Bay) - impassable at high tide. On Hadrians Way there is an excellent tourist bus (but stops a bit earlier than I would like) that can run you from the trail to accommodation options.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I suffered a stress fracture in my knee running around Hadrian's Wall last month! It's not as gentle as all that!

Stunning views (and 2 weeks off work) made up for it though "

Ouch! Bad news.

I doubt we'll be running it though, our packs weighed almost 3 stone!

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Love coastal walks, in particular the south west coast path.

For inland walks, I will usually just erect a basha to sleep under, only a few ounces for a poncho and some bungee cords and string.

The one thing I will never be without is my garmin gps and spare batteries. It's got me outta trouble quite a few times.

By *aughtymale1Man
over a year ago

Sandbach

* The empty bottles are for extra water - over and above normal water bottles.

over a year ago

I like to walk out there in the countryside and coast.

By *anetandNickCouple
over a year ago

Ross-on-Wye

We walked to Spain once, from Ross-on-Wye.

And we've done the Offa's Dyke, the Wye Valley Way, the Grand Union, the Raad ny Foillan, walked from Ross-on-Wye to Canterbury over most of the Thames Path and the Saxon Shore Way. Several others.

Thinking of walking to St David's next year. And as soon as we get a bit more time off we'd love to do Lindisfarne.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

You need to walk to London and get Mrs ddc atop the new Fourth Plinth installation.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"You need to walk to London and get Mrs ddc atop the new Fourth Plinth installation. "

I saw that in the paper.

You should google "Der gurk chatsworth"

Sadly too many old dears cooing over it to get a pic

over a year ago

Derbyshire

- Reduce the weight you're carrying. Take the absolute minimum and wash clothes through overnight. I don't take any footwear than my walking boots for example We're pretty much down to the basics, but food and water are the big variables. The first one we started with enough water for the whole three days, but the last one we experimented with using river water for cooking & boiled drinks, plus treating it for cold drinking water. We were down to carrying a maximum of 1½ litres.

Frankly when we see the length of some of the trails, the mind boggles

My normal speed (day walking) is probably about 2.25-2.75 mph depending on terrain. My standard assumption now is to plan for 1.5 mph on National Trails. This allows plenty of time to take in the scenery and allows for any delays. On trails like first half of Ridgeway, or easy parts of trails use 2 to 2.25mph. I have lost count of people taking their day walk speed and wrecking themselves by day 5. Terrain matters too - the amount of ascent should be factored in for planning.

Water is the key weight factor if you are ruthless with all else. I stay in B&B's and adjust the water amount each day. I carry lightweight empty plastic bottle(s) - if next day with no easy replenishment fill up at B&B before set off. Pubs and cafes generally fine about filling up en route too. Food - I eat a very big breakfast and carry high energy low weight snacks. Usually can find some café or pub at some point in the day. Pubs are closing all the time - so never assume that an advertised pub or café in guidebooks are still in business. On the Cleveland Way another thing to check is the one stretch of beach you have cross (near Runswick Bay) - impassable at high tide. On Hadrians Way there is an excellent tourist bus (but stops a bit earlier than I would like) that can run you from the trail to accommodation options.

"

Thanks NaughtyM,

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"You need to walk to London and get Mrs ddc atop the new Fourth Plinth installation.

I saw that in the paper.

"

You could have done a nice reflection one in Tear (Richard Hudson).

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"You need to walk to London and get Mrs ddc atop the new Fourth Plinth installation.

I saw that in the paper.

You could have done a nice reflection one in Tear (Richard Hudson).

"

Cleveland Way first

Then Angel of the North

(And I still have to shape and fit the garage parapet stones)

I already have my work cut out!

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"We walked to Spain once, from Ross-on-Wye.

And we've done the Offa's Dyke, the Wye Valley Way, the Grand Union, the Raad ny Foillan, walked from Ross-on-Wye to Canterbury over most of the Thames Path and the Saxon Shore Way. Several others.

Thinking of walking to St David's next year. And as soon as we get a bit more time off we'd love to do Lindisfarne."

That's amazing.

I love walking - good for the soul! The Pembrokeshire Coast is awesome, including around St Davids (I'm from there, so bit biased!).

By *uttonBiMan
over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield B73 5XP

I am a hiker i have hiked the following

Hadrians Wall x 3 all in one go

Offa's Dyke all in one go

Coast to Coast x 2 all in one go

Cotswold Way all in one go

South Downs Way all in one go

Sandstone Trail all in one go

Coleridge Way all in one go

Wats Dyke all in one go

I am thinking about the Ridgeway way this May but not made up my mind yet is there anyone interested in joining in?

By *ookingforlustMan
over a year ago

northants

I’ve done the Penine Way.

And did the 100km London to Brighton challenge.

I love a good walk me. I have a husky and we just fuck off some weekends and walk till one of us drops.

By *anetandNickCouple
over a year ago

Ross-on-Wye

[Removed by poster at 08/02/18 14:30:56]

By *anetandNickCouple
over a year ago

Ross-on-Wye

"...the Ridgeway way this May but not made up my mind yet is there anyone interested in joining in?"

We did some of the Ridgeway as part of the Millennium Stroll, passed this place called "Nettlebed" which was, well, rather uncomfortable.

Post new Message to Thread