Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

You See - It's Not Just Fab!

Jump to newest

By *erbyDalesCpl OP   Couple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

Yesterday the whole of the BBC were blithering on about some bloke who's not only left, but has actually died months ago, so definitely won't be around to see what all the hoohah is about.

So maybe we're all normal afterall.

(except me, obvs)

Does anyone think there'll be a thread about their first post in 50 years time?

Mr ddc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple
over a year ago

nr chester

"Yesterday the whole of the BBC were blithering on about some bloke who's not only left, but has actually died months ago, so definitely won't be around to see what all the hoohah is about.

(except me, obvs)

Mr ddc "

. Brilliant, you're right mr ddc, you know it's not quite the same thing, but I go to a little local village that was a favourite of ours growing up, I buy fish and chips and ice cream, and I do it for my dad and my brother, I lost them both over the last couple of years, they are not here to see me do it, but it makes me feel content, and if people miss people they really liked or even loved, whether they are dead or alive or can see it or not, where is the harm, Mrs blue eyes

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Yesterday the whole of the BBC were blithering on about some bloke who's not only left, but has actually died months ago, so definitely won't be around to see what all the hoohah is about.

(except me, obvs)

Mr ddc "

I'm sure his family appreciated all the 'hoohah'

over a year ago

Its completely different when something bad happens like death. Leaving a website is not a bad thing. Its all about keeping things in perspective. Something some people clearly struggle with.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Its completely different when something bad happens like death. Leaving a website is not a bad thing. Its all about keeping things in perspective. Something some people clearly struggle with."

True, but a sense of perspective works both ways, doesn't it? Starting a thread "Who else misses Whatisface's posts or pics?" isn't quite the same as booking Westminster Abbey and providing tons of media coverage though

over a year ago

over a year ago

nr chester

"Its completely different when something bad happens like death. Leaving a website is not a bad thing. Its all about keeping things in perspective. Something some people clearly struggle with."
. Your right scarlet, death is different, but I can imagine that if people have been on here for a year, maybe two, or much longer in many cases, posting everyday in the lounge, as many do, myself included, then for some,when that person leaves, it may feel like a loss, in some cases people are messaging through fab with people and outside of fab with people and they become close friends,then all of a sudden that person disappears and there is no contact, then even though they have done it for their own reasons, it must be really tough on the person left behind, and so to them to put it in perspective, it is probably quite a shock, and sad for them, and so to come into the lounge and remember them and chat about them is probably quite helpful, because let's face it, for many, they will not have anyone else to chat about it too, as fab is a seperate part of their lives, just playing devils advocate and putting another side to things Mrs blue eyesxxx

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

I'm sure his family appreciated all the 'hoohah' "

It's okay, Scarlett, I did a username search first to make sure I wasn't causing offence. He wasn't on Fab.

(although if you think this thread was about the inimitable Sir Terry, I think you may have missed the point... )

over a year ago

"

Mr ddc

It's okay, Scarlett, I did a username search first to make sure I wasn't causing offence. He wasn't on Fab.

(although if you think this thread was about the inimitable Sir Terry, I think you may have missed the point... )"

Scarlet didn't write that

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

He's not coming back days later looking like a fool if they made a hoohay about leaving

over a year ago

Terry Woman ultimate UNLOS RIP. Never did me any harm and made loads of people happy, not a bad way to spend a life.

over a year ago

Some of the leaving threads read like someone has died and I'm waiting for someone to quite seriously propse a period of mourning next time one of the more revered members of the clique leaves.

Soneone dying isn't really a suitable analogy when comparing someone leaving a forum. Although I suspect sone on here really won't see that

over a year ago

Derbyshire

[Removed by poster at 28/09/16 10:23:07]

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

(although if you think this thread was about the inimitable Sir Terry, I think you may have missed the point... )

Scarlet didn't write that "

No, not 'Scarlet', 'Scarlett'.

I can't even held accountable if people change their usernames after I get to know them. I still think of whatshername as 'Athena'.

over a year ago

"Some of the leaving threads read like someone has died and I'm waiting for someone to quite seriously propse a period of mourning next time one of the more revered members of the clique leaves.

Soneone dying isn't really a suitable analogy when comparing someone leaving a forum. Although I suspect sone on here really won't see that"

people actually leave threads in the forums about the fact that they are leaving ??? wow.. thats attention seeking at its finest

over a year ago

(except me, obvs)

Mr ddc . Brilliant, you're right mr ddc, you know it's not quite the same thing, but I go to a little local village that was a favourite of ours growing up, I buy fish and chips and ice cream, and I do it for my dad and my brother, I lost them both over the last couple of years, they are not here to see me do it, but it makes me feel content, and if people miss people they really liked or even loved, whether they are dead or alive or can see it or not, where is the harm, Mrs blue eyes "

I think what your doing is completely different, that is a memory you have and a way of remembering times with your family that you had, not really doing it for them your doing it for your own memories

If dave up the street who met your dad once started doing it in memory of your dad that would be weird, and that's what it's like on here never met someone but then start a thread saying how much they miss them

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Some of the leaving threads read like someone has died"

I do agree with that at times

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Some of the leaving threads read like someone has died

I do agree with that at times "

Although when FabulousandBearded left I did go into mourning for ten min's or so

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"If dave up the street who met your dad once started doing it in memory of your dad that would be weird..."

True, but if Dave was down the pub one day and said to his mates "Cor, Blimey, does anyone remember that bloke from number 42 who used to do such-n-such? He was a laugh" that would be normal, right?

Or how about "Strewth, I see that bird with the big tit's on Thingy Lane has moved out. I used to like watching her through my telescope "

(though admittedly that one did go a bit wierd at the end

)

over a year ago

Derbyshire

I missed off:

Perhaps the way some threads read in one's head, says more about you, than about the OP

over a year ago

"If dave up the street who met your dad once started doing it in memory of your dad that would be weird...

True, but if Dave was down the pub one day and said to his mates "Cor, Blimey, does anyone remember that bloke from number 42 who used to do such-n-such? He was a laugh" that would be normal, right?

Or how about "Strewth, I see that bird with the big tit's on Thingy Lane has moved out. I used to like watching her through my telescope "

(though admittedly that one did go a bit wierd at the end

)"

pmsl

over a year ago

Oh poor this life if full of haste we have no time to stand and stare sort of springs to mind

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"If dave up the street who met your dad once started doing it in memory of your dad that would be weird...

Or how about "Strewth, I see that bird with the big tits on Thingy Lane has moved out. I used to like watching her through my telescope "

(though admittedly that one did go a bit weird at the end

)"

In fact, while we're on that analogy, what would be weird if, during said conversation, some complete stranger walked up to your table and interjected "I don't know why you're all talking about them - I never even knew them" and then flounced off.

That WOULD be weird, wouldn't it?

over a year ago

"

Mr ddc

(although if you think this thread was about the inimitable Sir Terry, I think you may have missed the point... )"

I didn't miss the point at all...

I appreciate some people will feel the loss of whoever it is that made an impact on their lives in any given week/month/year etc etc...

but then I also think 'get a grip'

over a year ago

"Some of the leaving threads read like someone has died and I'm waiting for someone to quite seriously propse a period of mourning next time one of the more revered members of the clique leaves.

Soneone dying isn't really a suitable analogy when comparing someone leaving a forum. Although I suspect sone on here really won't see that

people actually leave threads in the forums about the fact that they are leaving ??? wow.. thats attention seeking at its finest "

how about this then...

someone messaged someone else to say they were leaving, and gave them a quote to post in the forums, so as to explain why!

over a year ago

nr chester

(except me, obvs)

Mr ddc . Brilliant, you're right mr ddc, you know it's not quite the same thing, but I go to a little local village that was a favourite of ours growing up, I buy fish and chips and ice cream, and I do it for my dad and my brother, I lost them both over the last couple of years, they are not here to see me do it, but it makes me feel content, and if people miss people they really liked or even loved, whether they are dead or alive or can see it or not, where is the harm, Mrs blue eyes

I think what your doing is completely different, that is a memory you have and a way of remembering times with your family that you had, not really doing it for them your doing it for your own memories

If dave up the street who met your dad once started doing it in memory of your dad that would be weird, and that's what it's like on here never met someone but then start a thread saying how much they miss them"

. But the perspective I tried to put in answer to scarlet was, although people haven't actually met in person, they may have been chatting to each other for years on here, everyday, then all of a sudden that's gone from your life, they have gone from your life, you are going to miss them, strange as it is, and your right it is different that I do something for my personal reasons, but others may find what I do strange, and yet I from own perspective find it normal, and yes if Dave up the street said he missed my dad having only met him once that would be weird, but if Dave up the street had been talking to my dad on a forum for years and they had never met, but Dave went on that forum to say he missed him, then no definately not weird, people see it as strange because it's swinging, but if you chatted to people on a gardeners website for a couple of years and you knew, what they had for tea most days, what they did for a job, what family they had, what there favourite song was, how much they missed their mum, and so on, and that person left the website, you would want to talk about how much you missed them, and you would miss them, but the only people who could get how much you missed them would be the other people on the gardening forum, that knew that person like you did, maybe I'm strange, but I really do understand how much of a hole it could leave in people's lives when some of their closest friends leave here Mrs blue eyes

over a year ago

I can understand people saying they miss someone's posts on the forums if they've gone unlos and they don't have any contact with that person outside of Fab but I find it strange to start a thread about someone on here when you are in contact in the outside world with that person.

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Its completely different when something bad happens like death. Leaving a website is not a bad thing. Its all about keeping things in perspective. Something some people clearly struggle with.

True, but a sense of perspective works both ways, doesn't it? Starting a thread "Who else misses Whatisface's posts or pics?" isn't quite the same as booking Westminster Abbey and providing tons of media coverage though"

But Aunty Beeb has all the licence fees.

over a year ago

nr chester

people actually leave threads in the forums about the fact that they are leaving ??? wow.. thats attention seeking at its finest

how about this then...

someone messaged someone else to say they were leaving, and gave them a quote to post in the forums, so as to explain why!

"

. That's not how it was at all lots of people were messaging a certain person that knew him, to ask them to pass on messages for them, they were passing on messages of how much they would miss him and wondering why he had gone, as many were concerned.

So to give explanation to the people he hadn't been able to message,to say bye, he wrote a post to be put in here to explain, and for people not to worry about him. It was a lovely thing to do and given his personality in here it was totally in character that he would do something like that, Mrs blue eyes

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

So to give explanation to the people he hadn't been able to message,to say bye, he wrote a post to be put in here to explain, and for people not to worry about him. It was a lovely thing to do and given his personality in here it was totally in character that he would do something like that, Mrs blue eyes"

Bearing in mind how much time I feel I spend I here, it never ceases to amaze me the threads I miss

over a year ago

"

So to give explanation to the people he hadn't been able to message,to say bye, he wrote a post to be put in here to explain, and for people not to worry about him. It was a lovely thing to do and given his personality in here it was totally in character that he would do something like that, Mrs blue eyes

Bearing in mind how much time I feel I spend I here, it never ceases to amaze me the threads I miss "

The thread was deleted by admin basically because there were a few threads on the go about the same person.

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

Bearing in mind how much time I feel I spend I here, it never ceases to amaze me the threads I miss

The thread was deleted by admin basically because there were a few threads on the go about the same [subject]. "

Blimey, just think, if they'd done the same with all those other 'leaving' threads, we wouldn't've needed a separate Politics Forum!

over a year ago

I don't _iew the "cheerio I'm off" threads as abnormal behaviour as its a way of them communicating to a wide audience that they're are leaving, easier than a messaging en masse.

What I do find bizarre behaviour is the other kind of threads started of late which end up in a bitch fest, probably the type of thread the UNLOS person was hoping to avoid.

Not really sure where the comparisson is between people going UNLOS on a sex website with that of honouring a persons life / lifetime achievements. Maybe Sir T is looking down & rolling his eyes at the elaborate venue, who knows.

People leave Fabs because they choose to, end of.

over a year ago

my earlier point was really referring to all the "oh my God...I'm really worried about them....happy birthday even though they aren't here" kinda comments. I get that people may think "ah...it's a shame I won't see their posts anymore"....but seriously some of the stuff lately ....it is like they've died! I think if they meant that much to you you'd be in contact away from here and realise there is life outside fab!!

over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Not really sure where the comparisson is between people going UNLOS on a sex website with that of honouring a persons life / lifetime achievements. Maybe Sir T is looking down & rolling his eyes at the elaborate venue, who knows."

Admittedly I have only half been listening to the radio, but I thought the wall-to-wall Wogan-fest organised by the BBC was more about the 50th anniversary of his first ever broadcast. Both as someone who never really 'got' Wogan (I was more a Kenny Everett person) and someone who is always happy to stand-up for the right for people to have threads without them being turned into bitchfests, I thought some would enjoy the irony of me spending much of the last few days going "WTF? Who gives a ****?"

I also thought perhaps we could have a discussion on general terms without it being about one specific person.

Which we are.

Which is nice.

Post new Message to Thread