Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Success with small claims court?.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone had success recovering money owed via the small claims court.Guessing it would be a cheaper route than a solicitor which could be costly.

Amount owed just over £1000.00. Thanks.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Has anyone had success recovering money owed via the small claims court.Guessing it would be a cheaper route than a solicitor which could be costly.

Amount owed just over £1000.00. Thanks. "

Yes, twice.

And tribunals 3 times.

And grown-up court twice.

All very simple to do so long as you keep your expectations realistic.

Mr ddc

By *ertsguy2000Man
over a year ago

hertford

Can I ask, who will you be claiming against? I have successfully claimed against individuals in the past, but that is only half the battle, once you have a judgement in your favour, you then have to enforce your claim (ie get what you are owed), now if the individual doesn't have a pot to piss in, or is a ltd company with zero assets,then it is unlikely you'll get a penny!! I'm sure there are more qualified people than me on here, but just my past experience! Good luck

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

I take debt recovery action against people in the County Court

JG x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Eight years as a debt collector, yes I have used the courts very effectively.

The process of small claims is usually very straight forward.

Make sure you have all of your evidence documented. Lay your claim out clearly and succinctly and make sure you adhere to all the instructions of the court. If you are successful then you will recover all of your fees.

Google EX50 for the list of current court fees. They are slightly cheaper if you start your claim online see moneyclaimonline.

The courts are generally very busy so make sure in your statements you document all the measures you have tried to get the matter resolved before your claim.

The small claims system is designed so that people can do it themselves, you don't need a solicitor for a claim of this value.

Be aware, though, that if you raise a claim the other side has an opportunity to counter claim. Make sure you are confident that you have a valid claim against the other side.

If you wanted to PM a little more info would be happy to take a look and offer any pointers to you. I HATE people who don't pay what they owe, especially if they can afford to. Possibly why I was a very good debt collector !!

over a year ago

"Can I ask, who will you be claiming against? I have successfully claimed against individuals in the past, but that is only half the battle, once you have a judgement in your favour, you then have to enforce your claim (ie get what you are owed), now if the individual doesn't have a pot to piss in, or is a ltd company with zero assets,then it is unlikely you'll get a penny!! I'm sure there are more qualified people than me on here, but just my past experience! Good luck"

Hi Thanks it's an individual,

over a year ago

Hi, Many thanks. I'll pm you. Genuinely owed the money for work done.x

over a year ago

Thanks for the sound advice everyone,you have been really helpful. Restores the faith'.

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Can I ask, who will you be claiming against? I have successfully claimed against individuals in the past, but that is only half the battle, once you have a judgement in your favour, you then have to enforce your claim (ie get what you are owed), now if the individual doesn't have a pot to piss in, or is a ltd company with zero assets,then it is unlikely you'll get a penny!! I'm sure there are more qualified people than me on here, but just my past experience! Good luck"
An excellent post and my experience as well. Some people do not seem bothered by CCJs.

Hopefully in this case , it might persuade them to pay up..

By *at69driveMan
over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

"Thanks for the sound advice everyone,you have been really helpful. Restores the faith'. "
What is their excuse for not paying . Have you tried knockimg their door. ? I always rigorously pursue someone who owes me money .

Post new Message to Thread