Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Posting on forums....

Jump to newest

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

Do you think that, generally speaking on internet forums, you are much more inclined to comment when someone says something utterly ridiculous/a bit racist/so stupid it's laughable, wheras in real life, you'd just roll your eyes and walk off because getting into a conversation with the muppet in question would ruin your evening?

Would this explain why people on forums "are so mean/uptight/need to lighten up (delete which ever standard retort suits)"?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I end up conversing with people in forums (not just this one) who I can't imagine I'd ever have any interaction with in real life. So it wouldn't even be that I was just walking away from them rather than arguing, I wouldn't be in a scenario where I had to interact with them in the first place.

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

Yes / no / maybe

over a year ago

"Do you think that, generally speaking on internet forums, you are much more inclined to comment when someone says something utterly ridiculous/a bit racist/so stupid it's laughable, wheras in real life, you'd just roll your eyes and walk off because getting into a conversation with the muppet in question would ruin your evening?

Would this explain why people on forums "are so mean/uptight/need to lighten up (delete which ever standard retort suits)"?"

I think some people are just twats. Be it online or off.

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

"Do you think that, generally speaking on internet forums, you are much more inclined to comment when someone says something utterly ridiculous/a bit racist/so stupid it's laughable, wheras in real life, you'd just roll your eyes and walk off because getting into a conversation with the muppet in question would ruin your evening?

Would this explain why people on forums "are so mean/uptight/need to lighten up (delete which ever standard retort suits)"?

I think some people are just twats. Be it online or off."

Yes, but do you engage them in r/l?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I am indifferent to most of it. I only comment when I am interested in the subject or when I perceive unfairness or imbalance to a specific grouping

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

What RubyWoo said.

If I do encounter racism/sexism/homophobia or anything else I think of as unfair in the physical world I tend to challenge and comment, whether it's strangers or people I know.

I probably challenge less on here now that I've been here so long. I get more hate mail here than anything I get back from a challenge out in the world.

over a year ago

Would this explain why people on forums "are so mean/uptight/need to lighten up (delete which ever standard retort suits)"?"

Do you mean there's keyboard warriors on fab ?

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I am as free with my opinions in real life as I am on here; when I feel I have something to add or I think someone is plain wrong and my perspective might make them think a little if only for an instant then I will say something. How I normally do, which is calmly and trying not to let outrage overtake my words. In real life I also have eyebrows and an expressive face to work with though; so sometimes a look will do rather than words.

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

I think I tend to "mock the afflicted" slightly more on the internet.

Not much hate mail so far..... Although I did get one last week.....

By *oxy_minxWoman
over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I've actually started walking away from most threads these days, can't be arsed getting involved

over a year ago

I think some people are just twats. Be it online or off.

Yes, but do you engage them in r/l?

"

Not these days.

I have quite a quick temper though so it's probably best I try and turn the other cheek.

over a year ago

is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman...Swiss Toni

over a year ago

"What RubyWoo said.

If I do encounter racism/sexism/homophobia or anything else I think of as unfair in the physical world I tend to challenge and comment, whether it's strangers or people I know.

I probably challenge less on here now that I've been here so long. I get more hate mail here than anything I get back from a challenge out in the world.

"

I encountered some racism recently, I let it go on the basis that I was 90% sure the guy was retarded / had touretts / had a 'learning difficulty' to use the politically correct term.

In real life you can see someone and make a better judgement whether they are worth arguing with. I don't argue with tramps and junkies for example.

On here it's not so clear...

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

There are a lot of people here who no doubt I would not encounter in real life;

However;

When someone is being stupid/ racist/ rude/ ignorant in real life; then I will certainly challenge them

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I'm the same on an off the forums. I'd question a dickhead on here and in 'real' life

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

Do you mean there's keyboard warriors on fab ? "

Depends what you mean by that. In one way, I think interent discussion boards in general are a good thing because they take physicality out of a debate and force people to use wit to argue their point.

Unless you mean that "keyboard warriors" are those who threaten to take arguments offline and introduce a physical element. Those people, I find are the people who are too stupid to win an argument in real life.

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

"What RubyWoo said.

I encountered some racism recently, I let it go on the basis that I was 90% sure the guy was retarded / had touretts / had a 'learning difficulty' to use the politically correct term.

In real life you can see someone and make a better judgement whether they are worth arguing with. I don't argue with tramps and junkies for example.

On here it's not so clear... "

I've read some things on internet fora over the years (not nescessarily this one) that have me semi convinced that some people's fingers are constantly typing and perhaps their carer just stuck a computer under them to see what would come out....

over a year ago

"What RubyWoo said.

I've read some things on internet fora over the years (not nescessarily this one) that have me semi convinced that some people's fingers are constantly typing and perhaps their carer just stuck a computer under them to see what would come out...."

There is that, but it's easier to see that in real life. So to answer the original question, I'm more likely to argue with someone here than real life, because face pictures aren't always visible...

over a year ago

I tend to hold back more on here...

I will often type something out then delete it rather than post it..

Whereas in the real world I have no such barrier and often say exactly what I think

over a year ago

I don't like injustice, so in real life or here, if I think someone is wrong, I would say. I might be more likely to in real life, as I can judge the whole situation better: body language, tone, expressions and the topic. I sometimes should walk away and I have got better with that with age.

over a year ago

"What RubyWoo said.

I've read some things on internet fora over the years (not nescessarily this one) that have me semi convinced that some people's fingers are constantly typing and perhaps their carer just stuck a computer under them to see what would come out...."

Something I read the other day strikes a chord with me here and in real life.

"The biggest communication problem we have is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply".

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

"I tend to hold back more on here...

Whereas in the real world I have no such barrier and often say exactly what I think "

I suppose it does cut both ways. I have refrained from posting on a number of occasions because I can't figure out a way to word my response that wouldn't get me a ban....

over a year ago

Whereas in the real world I have no such barrier and often say exactly what I think

I suppose it does cut both ways. I have refrained from posting on a number of occasions because I can't figure out a way to word my response that wouldn't get me a ban.... "

Ha ha a monthly 1-day ban just means you are making a valuable contribution to the forum instead of licking everyone's ass. 3-day ones should make you reconsider

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

I suppose it does cut both ways. I have refrained from posting on a number of occasions because I can't figure out a way to word my response that wouldn't get me a ban....

Ha ha a monthly 1-day ban just means you are making a valuable contribution to the forum instead of licking everyone's ass. 3-day ones should make you reconsider "

I've had a few. Mostly it surprises me that people care enough to report my posts.

There have been certain threads of late that I've been dying to comment on, but I just can't....

over a year ago

Ha ha a monthly 1-day ban just means you are making a valuable contribution to the forum instead of licking everyone's ass. 3-day ones should make you reconsider

I've had a few. Mostly it surprises me that people care enough to report my posts.

There have been certain threads of late that I've been dying to comment on, but I just can't.... "

We should compare tongues, I suspect we have a similar bite pattern.....

over a year ago

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is me lately.. I walk away from confrontation without speaking up for myself/someone else. I sometimes struggle to express my thoughts and feelings which is probably a deep rooted problem. I will stand up for myself if backed into a corner and always try to be respectful to other people but shouting/arguing and nastiness is not for me. I don't want that sort of nonsense to impact my already difficult life.

Just call me a Wuss

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"What RubyWoo said.

I've read some things on internet fora over the years (not nescessarily this one) that have me semi convinced that some people's fingers are constantly typing and perhaps their carer just stuck a computer under them to see what would come out....

"The biggest communication problem we have is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply".

"

Ooo, I posted that.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

There have been certain threads of late that I've been dying to comment on, but I just can't....

We should compare tongues, I suspect we have a similar bite pattern..... "

That sounds like you and Jimi are about to have a snog.

over a year ago

"What RubyWoo said.

Ooo, I posted that. "

I didn't see your post.

Apologies for the inadvertent plagurism.

over a year ago

"Coulda, woulda, shoulda is me lately.. I walk away from confrontation without speaking up for myself/someone else. I sometimes struggle to express my thoughts and feelings which is probably a deep rooted problem. I will stand up for myself if backed into a corner and always try to be respectful to other people but shouting/arguing and nastiness is not for me. I don't want that sort of nonsense to impact my already difficult life.

Just call me a Wuss "

I think this is true for most people apart from gobshites who usually rant shit that nobody takes seriously.

Most of the 'tell it to my face' people I've met fall to pieces if anybody ever actually does.

People are different online in the same way they are in a car. They feel protected and like the king of their own small universe. I quite like it.

By *imiUK OP   Man
over a year ago

Hereford

"Coulda, woulda, shoulda is me lately.. I walk away from confrontation without speaking up for myself/someone else. I sometimes struggle to express my thoughts and feelings which is probably a deep rooted problem. I will stand up for myself if backed into a corner and always try to be respectful to other people but shouting/arguing and nastiness is not for me. I don't want that sort of nonsense to impact my already difficult life.

Just call me a Wuss

I think this is true for most people apart from gobshites who usually rant shit that nobody takes seriously.

Most of the 'tell it to my face' people I've met fall to pieces if anybody ever actually does.

People are different online in the same way they are in a car. They feel protected and like the king of their own small universe. I quite like it."

It's nice, as I said because arguments ought to be womn on their merit, not on how scary looking the other person is....

A triumph of brains over brawn.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

i will avoid responding to or getting into arguments with the bell ends in forums, it just ain't worth the time and effort.

over a year ago

"

"

You haven't met Lucifer

Mx

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

No, I'm quite restrained here. You should meet me in person and I will give you the unvarnished truth

over a year ago

Nope. My mission in life is to argue my point with every jumped up twat I come across

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I mix it - sometimes being very free to comment otherwise just knowing there's little point and nothing new to add.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"What RubyWoo said.

"

You get hate mail?!

over a year ago

I think some people are just twats. Be it online or off."

That's nice isn't it! said in best leeky breathed Max Boyce accent.

over a year ago

I'm the other way around, I say way more what I think on a daily basis than I do on here.

over a year ago

"

It's nice, as I said because arguments ought to be womn on their merit, not on how scary looking the other person is....

A triumph of brains over brawn. "

Sometimes. The difficulty is that it also allows those people who are too stupid to understand how stupid they are to carry on regardless. I'm sure that's nice for them though.

Post new Message to Thread