Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bloody self service tills

Jump to newest

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Bad enough you have to now do a cashier's / checkout operators job ...

When you pay by cash why do they give you every bit of scrap metal as change, pennies instead of 5 p.. 5's instead of 10 p's

So annoying .. ..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

It will be because its run out of larger denominations of money

By *eovilcouple76Couple
over a year ago

yeovil

I hate the way the self service tills tell you what to do every 2 seconds,, it's like the machine is in a rush to get shot of you,, I find myself talking or on occasions shouting back to them, what is their rush, they got somewhere they need to be ??

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I hate the way the self service tills tell you what to do every 2 seconds,, it's like the machine is in a rush to get shot of you,, I find myself talking or on occasions shouting back to them, what is their rush, they got somewhere they need to be ?? "

I do the same dam machines x Bob

By *lowercandyWoman
over a year ago

Lancashire

I never use them. Hate them

By *osieWoman
over a year ago

Wembley

"Bad enough you have to now do a cashier's / checkout operators job ...

When you pay by cash why do they give you every bit of scrap metal as change, pennies instead of 5 p.. 5's instead of 10 p's

So annoying .. .. "

I go to one of those and ask for help

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I never use them. Hate them "

I hate them too, but sometimes if there are a lot of people in front of me I'll chance it. By the time it tells me "unauthorised item in the bagging area" or "have you swiped your nectar card?" a dozen times, spit out the crumpled note or reject a coin it would have been quicker to have stayed in the queue!

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

"I never use them. Hate them

I hate them too, but sometimes if there are a lot of people in front of me I'll chance it. By the time it tells me "unauthorised item in the bagging area" or "have you swiped your nectar card?" a dozen times, spit out the crumpled note or reject a coin it would have been quicker to have stayed in the queue! "

There's a few supermarket s near me that before certain times there are only these fangled things .. cashiers start later in the day

over a year ago

I use them in Asda all the time, I love them.XXX

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Most annoying these useless tills. They just add delays and frustrstions to the shopping experience.

Glad to see these are costing supermarkets in lost profits. Hopefully they will react and get rid of them

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

I wont use them on principle ( mind you I avoid supermarkets altogether if I can)

It a way of supermarkets avoiding employing people ( and there are lots of people who could do with a job)

Boycott the self service; make the rich supermarkets do something socially useful and employ people

over a year ago

Local Tesco have them and the amount of times I've had to go looking for an assistant because of problems, drives me mental, especially when they seem to have disappeared to effing Narnia.

By *illyjohnyCouple
over a year ago

brighton

There should be a sledge hammer next to every one so the shit can be beaten out of it

over a year ago

I went to one the other day, and got the "unexpected item in bagging area" message, I looked down, and fair enough, a bottle of shampoo and two boxes of tampons

over a year ago

So annoying .. .. "

Do what I do and refuse to use them

over a year ago

I like them. Means I don't have to speak to anyone if I just want to be in and out of there quickly.

over a year ago

"Local Tesco have them and the amount of times I've had to go looking for an assistant because of problems, drives me mental, especially when they seem to have disappeared to effing Narnia."

I use Tesco online n get it all delivered. xxx

By *oncupiscentTonyMan
over a year ago

Kent

So annoying .. .. "

They have to pay for banking coins so punt them out to customers to save on charges

over a year ago

I love em. I can be starting my bike and switching it off again from my local superstore in 10 minutes.

Where I buy milk and everything else for next to nothing so I don't mind "doing their job"

Swings n roundabouts I suppose.

Good for when I'm baked or hungover though and in stealth mode

*adds ninja emoji coz I'm too too much of an ass to find it*

over a year ago

"I love em. I can be starting my bike and switching it off again from my local superstore in 10 minutes.

Where I buy milk and everything else for next to nothing so I don't mind "doing their job"

Swings n roundabouts I suppose.

Good for when I'm baked or hungover though and in stealth mode

*adds ninja emoji coz I'm too too much of an ass to find it*

"

over a year ago

"Local Tesco have them and the amount of times I've had to go looking for an assistant because of problems, drives me mental, especially when they seem to have disappeared to effing Narnia.

I use Tesco online n get it all delivered. xxx"

Can't have a decent rant without some bloody smart arse getting all huffy and patronising. You do realise that the more you do this the less likely you'll get private medical attention and that full physical from your own personal Doctor, don't you?

By *nequeenslutWoman
over a year ago

rugeley

"I wont use them on principle ( mind you I avoid supermarkets altogether if I can)

It a way of supermarkets avoiding employing people ( and there are lots of people who could do with a job)

Boycott the self service; make the rich supermarkets do something socially useful and employ people "

I'm the same lets keep more people in a job

over a year ago

Your choice of topic amused me, bearing in mind where you say you live. Were you in Iceland or Tesco?

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

doesnt bother me, i always go for the self service instead of the tills if small amount of shopping, can easily be out the store in minutes instead of watching some one chatting and taking there time packing there shopping

over a year ago

"I wont use them on principle ( mind you I avoid supermarkets altogether if I can)

Boycott the self service; make the rich supermarkets do something socially useful and employ people "

I completely agree

By *inglenfreeMan
over a year ago

london

So annoying .. .. "

. Unexpected item in the forum.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I try not to use them but sometimes you have no choice. If I have to use them I never use cash as that seems to make the machines go into some sort of panic state where it starts spitting the notes back at you.

over a year ago

I will be happier when they include a device to allow me to buy a bottle of wine without waiting ten minutes for an assisstant.

over a year ago

"Local Tesco have them and the amount of times I've had to go looking for an assistant because of problems, drives me mental, especially when they seem to have disappeared to effing Narnia.

Can't have a decent rant without some bloody smart arse getting all huffy and patronising. You do realise that the more you do this the less likely you'll get private medical attention and that full physical from your own personal Doctor, don't you? "

Wat don't you wanna see me hemoroides now??? xxx

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

They can be tamed.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFchEUZMXg

over a year ago

Can't have a decent rant without some bloody smart arse getting all huffy and patronising. You do realise that the more you do this the less likely you'll get private medical attention and that full physical from your own personal Doctor, don't you?

Wat don't you wanna see me hemoroides now??? xxx"

If the patient would just hitch up her skirt, drop her pants and then lie down with both legs in the air it shouldn't take too long...and, sorry, what was your complaint again!

By *oachman 9CoolMan
over a year ago

derby

I hate them too, but sometimes if there are a lot of people in front of me I'll chance it. By the time it tells me "unauthorised item in the bagging area" or "have you swiped your nectar card?" a dozen times, spit out the crumpled note or reject a coin it would have been quicker to have stayed in the queue!

There's a few supermarket s near me that before certain times there are only these fangled things .. cashiers start later in the day

"

like at asda.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

The ones in B & Q where good...until they became credit card only doh!

By *arkstaffsMan
over a year ago

Rugeley

My opinion exactly. These things are being installed for one reason only, to cut jobs out. I will never use them.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I prefer a manned till, you sometimes get a conversation as well as do the shopping

over a year ago

Shoplift the smaller items you need. The ones where the till refuses to accept the placing of it in the bag

over a year ago

"Shoplift the smaller items you need. The ones where the till refuses to accept the placing of it in the bag"

That's just not cricket!

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

like at asda."

Yep exactly like asada.

over a year ago

So annoying .. .. "

With you on this one OP, have noticed your change is dispensed in the most awkward way possible! Have noticed that they vary in different supermarkets as well - some of them you put your shopping down on the right, scan, then pack on the left, while others are the other way round! Quite a few times I've had the attendant come up and tell me I've put my shopping on the wrong side! Aagghh!

Then there's the dreaded "unexpected item in bagging area" message - what the hell were you expecting then? A bloody elephant?!

I also got told to wait for an assistant when it said "approval needed" - to buy a packet of cheese and onion crisps! What the hell?!

Then there's the "please place the item in the bagging area". Puts item in bagging area....."please place the item in the bagging area". Removes item, puts it in bagging area again..."please place the item in the bagging area". Gets annoyed, removes item, puts it in bagging area yet again..."please wait, the assistant is coming"! Damn you self-service checkout, burn in hell!

And then finally, when you've paid, and start packing, it says "please take your items" every 5 seconds! Hang on - you've kept me here for half an hour messing me about and now you can't wait to get rid of me! Ah yes, must be so you can inflict your misery on the next poor customer!

Oh yes - and apparently they don't take the new £5 notes! Well not yet anyway!

Thanks for this thread OP, you've started my day perfectly!!!

By *p4funCouple
over a year ago

Plymouth

Never use them like to think im keeping a person employed by using the service till

By * PillowsWoman
over a year ago

stevenage

The one I choose always seem to need re calibrating for weighed items and say I put wrong item in bagging area grrrrrr! And I argue with them which makes me sound like a nutter

And Tesco ones very shouty at me. Is that so the old folks can hear them?

I dunno, but going to a live human checkout person is much better.

Always makes me think of Caroline Aherne advert "your chips are gonna be tiny!"

I wish they would say things like that pmsl

By * PillowsWoman
over a year ago

stevenage

Then there's the "please place the item in the bagging area". Puts item in bagging area....."please place the item in the bagging area". Removes item, puts it in bagging area again..."please place the item in the bagging area". Gets annoyed, removes item, puts it in bagging area yet again..."please wait, the assistant is coming"! Damn you self-service checkout, burn in hell!

That's probably cos it needs re calibrating! They know it but never apologise. Not our fault grr

over a year ago

"

Always makes me think of Caroline Aherne advert "your chips are gonna be tiny!"

I wish they would say things like that pmsl"

Jack Dee did a sketch about self-service checkouts in his "Live at the Apollo" show, saying that the checkout should make a noise relating to the product being scanned. Milk - "moo"! Eggs - clucking noise of a chicken! Toilet roll - "nngh"!

over a year ago

Use them when I have to for small number of items, but I notice a lot of people have problems. I think I have mastered them finally.

Some hotels have automated check ins now....but still have reception staff to tell you what to do!

Post new Message to Thread