Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Conquering your fears

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For as long as I can remember I've been scared of ladders. It's not the height, I'll climb up pretty much anything and used to jump out of aeroplanes for a living, I just always felt sick and dizzy at the thought of climbing even a couple of rungs.

This weekend I've been helping Nell paint the outside of her house and I had to out my big boy pants in and face my phobia - by climbing up a step ladder (about 3ft!). At first I felt dizzy and slightly nauseous but today I'm happy to report I've been zipping up and down it like it ain't no thing. Next will be a proper ladder.

Have any of you guys faced and overcome your fears?

MrWho.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

High five! Well done.

I only have irrational fears. I hate sharks. I shan't be overcoming that by jumping in shark infested waters so no drama. No many in Blackpool. Well - None that aren't encased in a huge glass pool anyhow.

Heights. Yuck. Feet on the ground.

over a year ago

Good on you!

I'm terrified of blood. I've tried to overcome it but I just fainted instead. Go me

over a year ago

I've never had any fears or phobias. Balked at nothing, tackled everything head on.

Until that is I had kids.

Now I seem to face a million fears a day, all of those for them.

And trying to overcome them without being a neurotic, over bearing, over protective father seems to be the biggest challenge of all

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

I used to be terrified of flying to the point of being sedated but over the years I've combated that fear.

I'm still terrified of water though & can't really swim - seeing my boys swim in the sea after jumping on a boat on holiday made me put in a life jacket & join them. I hated every minute & had a bit of a panic attack but did it to experience the same as they were. Am in no rush to ever do it again

over a year ago

Nice one dude. I remember from my fears and phobias thread.

They do say saturation and stuff like that helps.

As a young man I wasn't keen on spiders after waking up one day with one on my face.

A couple of years later my sister had one in her bedroom.

I was hungover and just picked it up. It was a big fucker but I let it crawl all over me.

Now I treat them the same as I would say a butterfly that's caught in my house.

The only thing now that scares the shit out of me is the thought of colonic irrigation

over a year ago

Fear is all due to the brain getting wired in a certain way (for various reasons)...the longer it stays wired that way the harder it is to overcome it...the good news is that the brain wiring can be changed (by various ways) and thus the fear can be overcome.

over a year ago

Worms....I have a fear of worms

over a year ago

You know sharks are only dangerous when they are wet?

By *lla_maiWoman
over a year ago

staffordshire

Well done.

I hate heights, im not saying ive overcome them by all means i havent. However last year i did the honistor slate mine via ferrata (mountain cliff climb) it was scary as hell but i faced it and would again

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes, my biggest achievement has gone from being frightened to get on a bus on my own to getting on the tube at victoria on my own at peak rush hour travelling to kings cross getting of and going to the main station and getting on a train home.

That for me is the ultimate in how far ive come

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I have a deep feeling of dread every time and alfa pulls up near my garage

By *isalashes888400Couple
over a year ago

ennis

sock puppets

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

"You know sharks are only dangerous when they are wet?"

That's right, hence we always take a beach towel just in case

over a year ago

Going out alone, I used to hate it and have panic atticks. I'm still a little nervous but getting better.

over a year ago

First dates/meets! I self-sabotage continually. But I'm here working on it, and once I've met -- then I'm fine.....it's really solely around that first leap into the unknown. I suspect I have a need to be in control!

over a year ago

"Worms....I have a fear of worms "

Same here And slugs and snails

over a year ago

I used to be scared of heights. Went on the London Eye ... felt a bit better.

Year later went up The Fucking Shard. (Swear word for obvious reasons.. even the lifts are fucking scary.)

I'm (mostly) cured.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I have a deep feeling of dread every time and alfa pulls up near my garage "

Don't worry too much, the brake calipers are usually seized, they couldn't pull up if they wanted to!

over a year ago

Can't stand wasps - but that is understandable as they are evil fuckers.

Public speaking was a problem too but standing up in front of 200 people and having to talk sorted that out.

over a year ago

Fear of vomiting was mine. Knew I had to do something when I did a two hour trip to pick up my mum with a broken wrist to look after my poorly child!

6 months of therapy and I can deal with my children and children at work. Adults puking can jog on though!

Post new Message to Thread