Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Docs.receotionists.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone else think that the receptionists at the surgery think they are Doctors,i rang for an appointment and said i still didnt feel well,and her reply was..are you still taking the antibiotics,then i asked if my perscription for gaviscon was ready ,and she said no why dont you go and buy some in the chemist jeez was taken back to say the least.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The bitch on the switch is mighty. Like a goddess. It takes skills.

Seriously though it's bloody annoying isn't it? There must be some sort of mean girl training in the induction.

over a year ago

God knows lol but the lot where i go seem to be

over a year ago

Our new receptionist is lovely. She's obv not finnished her bitch training. xxx

over a year ago

But really u would wait all that time and effort for that u would go to morrisons and buy it or a generic at half the price

over a year ago

Would you really get a prescription for Gaviscon?

over a year ago

Or when they ask you what the problem is......er....I'd rather talk to the doctor about it thanks? Patient confidentiality and all that!

The other gripe I have about doctors is the appointment system - you have to ring at 8:30am (and I work permanent late shifts), the phone is engaged as everyone is trying to get through, and when you do finally speak to someone, all of the appointments are gone!!!

over a year ago

All the ones I seem to deal with appear to have massive delusions of grandeur...

over a year ago

Well thats what he gives me on perscription ,i have other medicine as well as that.

over a year ago

"Or when they ask you what the problem is......er....I'd rather talk to the doctor about it thanks? Patient confidentiality and all that!

The other gripe I have about doctors is the appointment system - you have to ring at 8:30am (and I work permanent late shifts), the phone is engaged as everyone is trying to get through, and when you do finally speak to someone, all of the appointments are gone!!!"

..Very true.

over a year ago

It's a nightmare to get past the receipionist sat my Dr's . I really ahead to hold my tongue ans not go mental. God for it you need an emergency appointment ( because one doesn't know they're going to be ill 6 weeks I advance!) my son was really poorly last week ans getting him an emergency appointment was nightmare. We was born with something wrong with him. I had to go onto explain all this to justify my emergency to the receptionist before another argument followed about getting him to be seen. Aghhhhhhh

over a year ago

"Would you really get a prescription for Gaviscon? "

Obviously, I don't know the OP's particular circumstances but prescriptions for standard over - the - counter medications is something the NHS really needs to re_iew.

over a year ago

"It's a nightmare to get past the receipionist sat my Dr's . I really ahead to hold my tongue ans not go mental. God for it you need an emergency appointment ( because one doesn't know they're going to be ill 6 weeks I advance!) my son was really poorly last week ans getting him an emergency appointment was nightmare. We was born with something wrong with him. I had to go onto explain all this to justify my emergency to the receptionist before another argument followed about getting him to be seen. Aghhhhhhh "

Please ignore all poor grammar I wrote in utter haste!

over a year ago

"All the ones I seem to deal with appear to have massive delusions of grandeur... "

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

they filter to ensure the GP's time is effectively used for the most needed.

over a year ago

Some people who don't pay for prescriptions even get things like paracetamol on prescription even though a box costs just a few pence. Cost to the NHS is far more though.

Not saying that;s the case with the OP though

over a year ago

"Would you really get a prescription for Gaviscon?

Obviously, I don't know the OP's particular circumstances but prescriptions for standard over - the - counter medications is something the NHS really needs to re_iew."

The cost is phenomenal

over a year ago

"they filter to ensure the GP's time is effectively used for the most needed."

And rightly so. Not sure why people take offence to it

over a year ago

over a year ago

This. They need the patience of a saint.

over a year ago

I did when I was pregnant with my oldest. Used to get £10 bottle for free. xxx

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Dr receptionists attitude are almost as bad as air stewardesses.

They need to concentrate on being a receptionist and not a pain up the arse dr wanna be

By *0tt0nSu3Woman
over a year ago

London

"Does anyone else think that the receptionists at the surgery think they are Doctors"

Ask them that very question. They tend to shut up then.

The other question that makes them go deathly silent is when you ask for the name of the Practice Manager....

There are some people who should not be in that post as they seem to delight in belittling others.

In saying that though, there are lovely supportive receptionists out there who have to put up with some crap from the general public. Some are nice.

Maybe she just got a shower of crap from someone and felt the need to take it out on someone else....

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

The ones at our surgery are mostly very pleasant. They never ask, why I/we want the appointment.

over a year ago

Some people who don't pay for prescriptions even get things like paracetamol on prescription even though a box costs just a few pence. Cost to the NHS is far more though.

Not saying that;s the case with the OP though"

I get zapain on prescription but buy extra paras n caffine tabs. Also buy my own ibrufen cos my doc won't prescribe it to me. bad girl. xxx

over a year ago

And look at the bigger picture and that Contributes why the NHS is in the financial mess it is.

over a year ago

you would be suprised what people get on prescription

as a district nurse i take them out to people from the surgery and some ask for all kinds of things, even if it's only a couple of quid to buy if don't pay for you prescriptions why would you buy it

over a year ago

I have a medical problem that means I get things like ibuprofen and paracetamol on prescription but I only take it as and when I need to ie when I get a flare up. When I do get a flare up there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to get up to the pharmacy to buy any

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

A receptionist works under the direction of the Dr's at the surgery.

If he/she blocked the Dr's day with people wanting indegestion syrup and the seriously ill couldn't get an appt or in response block A and E........ they'd be for it.

I think it's a bit of inverted snobber to think that the receptionist think they are a Dr. They KNOW who they are generally it's the patients with ego.

over a year ago

Ward clerks are as bad too . Have to deal with some real bitches daily. Interestingly I started off my career on the reception desk

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"A receptionist works under the direction of the Dr's at the surgery.

If he/she blocked the Dr's day with people wanting indegestion syrup and the seriously ill couldn't get an appt or in response block A and E........ they'd be for it.

I think it's a bit of inverted snobber to think that the receptionist think they are a Dr. They KNOW who they are generally it's the patients with ego. "

over a year ago

Someone I used to work with years ago was a drs receptionist .. then she was elevated to practice manager..

she used to post on FB about all her holidays and corporate days out etc...

Then she wasn't online for a while and it turned out she had embezzled the practice out of thousands pounds ...

over a year ago

I have a medical problem that means I get things like ibuprofen and paracetamol on prescription but I only take it as and when I need to ie when I get a flare up. When I do get a flare up there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to get up to the pharmacy to buy any"

But you've had to go to the pharmacy to collect that prescription in the first place, so you have it on hand in the house to take. I go to the supermarket or chemist to buy my 12p box of paracetamol and ibuprofen so I have them in the house if I need them. But maybe you're talking about larger quantities.

over a year ago

I was in my doctors earlier this week and there was a woman in their moaning to the receptionist about one of the doctors. Apparently the doctor was an idiot who needed to mind their own business and just treat her for what was wrong. Apparently rather than 'treat' her diabetes he was lecturing her about diet. And rather than 'treat' her COPD the doctor was telling her to quit smoking. And the receptionist was totally professional throughout.

Receptionists have to deal with idiots like this every day

over a year ago

I have a medical problem that means I get things like ibuprofen and paracetamol on prescription but I only take it as and when I need to ie when I get a flare up. When I do get a flare up there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to get up to the pharmacy to buy any"

So you don't keep any in the house?

over a year ago

I have a medical problem that means I get things like ibuprofen and paracetamol on prescription but I only take it as and when I need to ie when I get a flare up. When I do get a flare up there's no way in hell that I'd ever be able to get up to the pharmacy to buy any

But you've had to go to the pharmacy to collect that prescription in the first place, so you have it on hand in the house to take. I go to the supermarket or chemist to buy my 12p box of paracetamol and ibuprofen so I have them in the house if I need them. But maybe you're talking about larger quantities. "

Maybe the chemist picks up her prescription from the docs. Makes it up then delivers it to her house. xxx

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

and having read many threads on here about people's ailments and their stupidity, the receptionists deserve a medal

over a year ago

Totally agree - they aren't being mean for fun (well not all of them) . They are told to ask questions to ensure people don't waste doctors time and that they see the right person . Might not be nice at times but it's for our own good

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

But you've had to go to the pharmacy to collect that prescription in the first place, so you have it on hand in the house to take. I go to the supermarket or chemist to buy my 12p box of paracetamol and ibuprofen so I have them in the house if I need them. But maybe you're talking about larger quantities. "

Come off it Ruby! Last box I bought was HUGE 25p .......... where are you getting them for 12p and can I get a bus there ?

over a year ago

But you've had to go to the pharmacy to collect that prescription in the first place, so you have it on hand in the house to take. I go to the supermarket or chemist to buy my 12p box of paracetamol and ibuprofen so I have them in the house if I need them. But maybe you're talking about larger quantities.

Maybe the chemist picks up her prescription from the docs. Makes it up then delivers it to her house. xxx"

Maybe. It would seem easier to get a few boxes in, just in case, when you're feeling well though.

over a year ago

Come off it Ruby! Last box I bought was HUGE 25p .......... where are you getting them for 12p and can I get a bus there ?"

Damn, you're right! Just checked my boots receipt and they've gone up to a whopping 25p. It's obviously been a while since I checked the shelf. I take it all back.

over a year ago

As a carer, we are only allowed to give medicine prescribed by a dr, if they run out of paracetamol and family buy from the shop we are not allowed to give, same with creams. Where possible I cheap medicine should only be prescribed if carer workers are required.

over a year ago

My docs are fantastic and so are most of the receptionists. I've been seeing the same doc for nearly 20 years now n although I'm now out of there catchment area I asked if I could stay with them because of my long term conditions I know I always get the care I need from them. Xxx

over a year ago

..No its not lol,the medicine i have to take costs me over a hundred quid every two months,and i get the gaviscon on perscription as they charge me for two bottles and not three for some reason.

over a year ago

Maybe the chemist picks up her prescription from the docs. Makes it up then delivers it to her house. xxx

Maybe. It would seem easier to get a few boxes in, just in case, when you're feeling well though. "

That's what I do allthogh paras are next to useless for me. Xxx

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

My doctors on the occasion I've used them seem pretty good thankfully

over a year ago

I get at least 2 if not 3 months worth at a time but as said I only take them as I need to.

I also put my repeat in just as I get low so as to make sure I have them in.

I'm also on two different kinds of ibuprofen as one is for severe menstrual cramps.

over a year ago

I don't really have any contact with the receptionists at my GP's. I go online to book an appointment, and when I do turn up, there is an automated system in place, where you just book in your arrival.

Oh, and our prescriptions are free here

over a year ago

The NHS spent over £85 million on prescription paracetamol last year.

It really needs to stop.

over a year ago

I get my daughter's medicine for constipation on prescription, she is disabled, she is entitled to it. Sure I can buy it over the counter for her £10 a bottle, but it is a medical need. Probably the paracetamol you are referring to is with codeine, that has to be prescribed as codeine is addictive.

By *r mrs pCouple
over a year ago

taunton

"Does anyone else think that the receptionists at the surgery think they are Doctors,i rang for an appointment and said i still didnt feel well,and her reply was..are you still taking the antibiotics,then i asked if my perscription for gaviscon was ready ,and she said no why dont you go and buy some in the chemist jeez was taken back to say the least."

Speechless

No i'm not,receptionist's are there to help GP's with their work load,by asking simple questions they can determine if the caller requires an appointment with the GP or not.Some callers will be told they need emergency treatment,some would be wasting the GP's valuable time.

Some practises now insist the caller will have to speak to the GP before they are given an appointment as many callers

REALLY DONT NEED TO SEE A GP !!!!!

And breathe lol.

over a year ago

I get my daughter's medicine for constipation on prescription, she is disabled, she is entitled to it. Sure I can buy it over the counter for her £10 a bottle, but it is a medical need. Probably the paracetamol you are referring to is with codeine, that has to be prescribed as codeine is addictive.

"

Paracetamol with codeine doesn't have to be prescribed, neither is ibuprofen with codeine, you can buy them from a pharmacist.

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

The only think Ng I can say about the receptionist is they are resistant for my pharmacy to deal with my medications for me. This makes it tricky as I see a specialist for various conditions and I have to take their notes back to the doctor then come back and get the doctors office then to the pharmacy and back again. This can take me two hours on public transport, after the end of a long working day and not easy with my health flare ups. do get annoyed because it could all be done by phone and online at their end although they say its awkward for them. On the other hand, they usually can squeeze me in when I get a flare up of one or other of my long term health conditions, so I have to say on balance I will take the rough with the smooth.

over a year ago

Paraceptomol can kill if used wrongly,you can take twelve paraceptomol and kill yourself and twelve sleeping tablets and survive,its not good for you liver or kidneys,i was on paraceptomol for headaches for twenty years,taking two four hourly,it got to the stage where i was just feeding the headache so they got worse ,my neurologist took me off them,in twenty years i had taken over 58 thousand paraceptomol .

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"The NHS spent over £85 million on prescription paracetamol last year.

It really needs to stop."

I think it needs looking at but not stopped.

Some chronically ill people unable to work and some elderly need painkillers and don't have money.

We need to differentiate.

over a year ago

"I don't really have any contact with the receptionists at my GP's. I go online to book an appointment, and when I do turn up, there is an automated system in place, where you just book in your arrival.

Oh, and our prescriptions are free here "

I Wales xxx

over a year ago

Paracetamol with codeine doesn't have to be prescribed, neither is ibuprofen with codeine, you can buy them from a pharmacist. "

Also if you have ibuprofen on prescription you have to make an appointment to see a doctor to get it as they no longer give it out on repeat for the simple fact it's addictive hence why I only take my medication when as I need to so as to not having to keep going back all the time but when you have a limited income it's not really that cheap to have to buy in paracetamol and ibuprofen when you are down to only having enough money left to get any other essential needs after all the bills have been paid out

over a year ago

Ours just repeats herself all the time and says she's too busy to reply so call back later..I can't even speak to her. ..This has gone on now for months. I bought my gaviscon and plasters at poundland.

over a year ago

Down the pound shop they sale three packets of ibrofen for of course a pound and three packets of paraceptomol for a pound,its wrong really.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/09/16 12:23:10]

over a year ago

"Down the pound shop they sale three packets of ibrofen for of course a pound and three packets of paraceptomol for a pound,its wrong really."

Why is it wrong? A few posts ago someone was justifying having them on prescription because of a limited cost.

over a year ago

They are cheaper in Wilkinson, I get a packet of ibuprofen for 25p and paracetamol is 22p

By *ENDAROOSCouple
over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

It does annoy me that some people get things like paracetamol for free.

Yet, Mr B has to pay for medication for a life threatening complaint that he has no choice in taking daily. He'll be on it for the rest of his life.

Yet people can get indigestion and painkillers for nothing. While unpleasant, hardly life or death!

Yes, I know it's Saturday and not rant Thursday but I don't care.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

Note in our docs yesterday to say they would not prescribe over the counter drugs anymore, for short term use, but would continue to do so for long term use. Makes sense

over a year ago

"Down the pound shop they sale three packets of ibrofen for of course a pound and three packets of paraceptomol for a pound,its wrong really."

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to be able to buy three packets of tablets in one go.

over a year ago

Paracetamol with codeine doesn't have to be prescribed, neither is ibuprofen with codeine, you can buy them from a pharmacist.

Also if you have ibuprofen on prescription you have to make an appointment to see a doctor to get it as they no longer give it out on repeat for the simple fact it's addictive hence why I only take my medication when as I need to so as to not having to keep going back all the time but when you have a limited income it's not really that cheap to have to buy in paracetamol and ibuprofen when you are down to only having enough money left to get any other essential needs after all the bills have been paid out"

And that's fine, it must be difficult. But when people wonder why the NHS is so incredibly stretched it's worth considering the cost to the service of a doctors appointment, receptionist and pharmacist time etc in dispensing a prescription for ibuprofen. "Free" prescriptions are not free at all, it's just that you don't pay for them.

It seems madness that you need an appointment to get a prescription for something you can buy in the corner shop, and isn't known for being addictive as painkillers go.

over a year ago

"It does annoy me that some people get things like paracetamol for free.

Yet, Mr B has to pay for medication for a life threatening complaint that he has no choice in taking daily. He'll be on it for the rest of his life.

Yet people can get indigestion and painkillers for nothing. While unpleasant, hardly life or death!

Yes, I know it's Saturday and not rant Thursday but I don't care.

"

It was the same for me when my heart stopped working properly. 4 prescriptions a month! I used a pre payment card in the end.

By *amissCouple
over a year ago

chelmsford

"Down the pound shop they sale three packets of ibrofen for of course a pound and three packets of paraceptomol for a pound,its wrong really.

I'm pretty sure it's against the law to be able to buy three packets of tablets in one go.

"

Yes think they limit you to 2 packs of 16.

over a year ago

I think it must be a pretty crap job sometimes , you'll get the hypochondriacs who ring every week and want an instant appointment. You will have those with various issues who will be abusive and give you loads of stick because you don't have an instant appointment.

You need empathy as you'll know the patients who are terminally ill and are aware they are a priority when they call. I bet some of the GPs are demanding to work for. So I don't envy their job at all.

over a year ago

I hope all this makes sence, and will try to cover most responses.

If someone is on paracetamol for long standing pain they are entitled to a prescription for it, the most you can buy in any one transaction in one shop is two boxes of 16 tablets. this ranges from 12p - 32p depending on the brand. The GP can dish out 100 tablets at a time. Yes they could buy the tablets as someone pointed out they cost so little, but what if that person cannot get out very often?

Same as Gaviscon - there are certain sizes of the stuff you can buy, on prescription though you can get even bigger bottles designed to be on prescription only. (even this stuff could be overdosed on)

OP probably has two conflicting illnesses that she needs this stuff (I've tried it, nearly boaked )

Also if she was seen to be buying it a lot in her usual pharmacy, they could refuse her, but because she's getting it on script, the pharmacy know that it's use is being monitored.

Practice receptionists run under the Practice Manager not the doctors, the GPs also run under the PM, as it's the receptionists who fill their diaries.

Don't know about any of yours, but my GPs seem to only do maybe one full day a week, and followed by maybe 2-3 half days, effectively only working 2.5 days a week... we also have the "registrars" whose diaries are never full. Personally I'd prefer to see a partner, but their appointments are few and far between though i do love it when they are trying to give me antibiotics, as i can't take many of them, and the choices are getting slim, there will be a time that when i need them, it will be a trip to hospital for IV...

I'm on constant medication too, for various things, and none on my meds can be bought OTC, aside from aspirin which i take for migriane pain, I do buy them myself, but also get some on script, so they are always in the house.

Recently, I was given another painkiller, codiene phosphate, they make me a bit spacey, so if I know I have to drive, I don't take them, on that my gp gave me 100... luckily my forthcoming op is in 6 weeks so hope i don't become too dependant on them.

Incidently, if asked for a brief description of your trouble by the receptionist, i am truthful and tell them, but if it's what i deem to be private, then i tell them it's personal and rather not say..... they cannot push you to tell them.

over a year ago

Docs in Wales have been told to limit the amount of tramadol prescribed because of them being sold on the black market. I used tram as a sedative when my pain n rls is bad. Now I'm on amatripaline instead. Xxx

over a year ago

"Docs in Wales have been told to limit the amount of tramadol prescribed because of them being sold on the black market. I used tram as a sedative when my pain n rls is bad. Now I'm on amatripaline instead. Xxx"

Does it still ease your pain though? Hopefully it does.

over a year ago

" It was the same for me when my heart stopped working properly. 4 prescriptions a month! I used a pre payment card in the end. "

if this was recently ie not 5 yrs ago, and you can prove you have limited funds, you can fill out a form and try to get your money back

over a year ago

"Down the pound shop they sale three packets of ibrofen for of course a pound and three packets of paraceptomol for a pound,its wrong really.

"

..yes it is as in chemists they let you.buy.two packets only so dont understand it

over a year ago

"I hope all this makes sence, and will try to cover most responses.

If someone is on paracetamol for long standing pain they are entitled to a prescription for it, the most you can buy in any one transaction in one shop is two boxes of 16 tablets. this ranges from 12p - 32p depending on the brand. The GP can dish out 100 tablets at a time. Yes they could buy the tablets as someone pointed out they cost so little, but what if that person cannot get out very often?

Same as Gaviscon - there are certain sizes of the stuff you can buy, on prescription though you can get even bigger bottles designed to be on prescription only. (even this stuff could be overdosed on)

OP probably has two conflicting illnesses that she needs this stuff (I've tried it, nearly boaked )

Also if she was seen to be buying it a lot in her usual pharmacy, they could refuse her, but because she's getting it on script, the pharmacy know that it's use is being monitored.

Practice receptionists run under the Practice Manager not the doctors, the GPs also run under the PM, as it's the receptionists who fill their diaries.

Don't know about any of yours, but my GPs seem to only do maybe one full day a week, and followed by maybe 2-3 half days, effectively only working 2.5 days a week... we also have the "registrars" whose diaries are never full. Personally I'd prefer to see a partner, but their appointments are few and far between though i do love it when they are trying to give me antibiotics, as i can't take many of them, and the choices are getting slim, there will be a time that when i need them, it will be a trip to hospital for IV...

I'm on constant medication too, for various things, and none on my meds can be bought OTC, aside from aspirin which i take for migriane pain, I do buy them myself, but also get some on script, so they are always in the house.

Recently, I was given another painkiller, codiene phosphate, they make me a bit spacey, so if I know I have to drive, I don't take them, on that my gp gave me 100... luckily my forthcoming op is in 6 weeks so hope i don't become too dependant on them.

Incidently, if asked for a brief description of your trouble by the receptionist, i am truthful and tell them, but if it's what i deem to be private, then i tell them it's personal and rather not say..... they cannot push you to tell them. "

..Yes i do need the gaviscon to ease the hiatus hernia i have,thats the only thing that seems to work

over a year ago

"Docs in Wales have been told to limit the amount of tramadol prescribed because of them being sold on the black market. I used tram as a sedative when my pain n rls is bad. Now I'm on amatripaline instead. Xxx"

good luck with the amytriptyline - that doesn't like me, and causes panic attacks.

Tramadol is now a controlled drug, so GPs are being told to use something else, such as dihydracodiene (which also doesn't like me) but has a similar effect to Tramadol. (so maybe ask for that if the 'trip doesn't do the job)

1 Dihydracodiene will knock me silly for 4 days. not good when you have things to do

over a year ago

" ..Yes i do need the gaviscon to ease the hiatus hernia i have,thats the only thing that seems to work "

over a year ago

"The NHS spent over £85 million on prescription paracetamol last year.

It really needs to stop.

I think it needs looking at but not stopped.

Some chronically ill people unable to work and some elderly need painkillers and don't have money.

We need to differentiate. "

Quite right Granny.

Poorly worded on my behalf - I meant that the NHS needs to stop paying those kind of sums, not that the practice needs to stop entirely.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Not very effectively!

Yesterday I couldn't get an appointment with my gp and ended up at the wak in centre.

Once there I was put on oxygen and given 2 nebulisers to stabilise my breathing before being diagnosed with pneumonia. From there I was sent to the hospital, has chest X-rays and was give 2 courses of antibiotics and inhalers to take home. Also given strict instructions to call an ambulance if my breathing worsens like that again.

One could say that the filter in this case most certainly did not work!

over a year ago

"Docs in Wales have been told to limit the amount of tramadol prescribed because of them being sold on the black market. I used tram as a sedative when my pain n rls is bad. Now I'm on amatripaline instead. Xxx

Does it still ease your pain though? Hopefully it does. "

It seams too. But the best thing is I'm getting quality sleep now. Xxx

over a year ago

"Docs in Wales have been told to limit the amount of tramadol prescribed because of them being sold on the black market. I used tram as a sedative when my pain n rls is bad. Now I'm on amatripaline instead. Xxx

good luck with the amytriptyline - that doesn't like me, and causes panic attacks.

Tramadol is now a controlled drug, so GPs are being told to use something else, such as dihydracodiene (which also doesn't like me) but has a similar effect to Tramadol. (so maybe ask for that if the 'trip doesn't do the job)

1 Dihydracodiene will knock me silly for 4 days. not good when you have things to do"

oh great thats me bollocksed then as i have to have tramadol for one of my health issues so not looking forward to my next doctors trip

over a year ago

1 Dihydracodiene will knock me silly for 4 days. not good when you have things to do"

I will do thank you. I'm silly anyway so far trip seems to be workin althogh I've been warned about havin wierd dreams on it. Xxx

over a year ago

1 Dihydracodiene will knock me silly for 4 days. not good when you have things to do

oh great thats me bollocksed then as i have to have tramadol for one of my health issues so not looking forward to my next doctors trip"

Think they are weanin people off it. Xxx

over a year ago

I think its a great idea.....if your only taking up a doctor's appointment for a repeat prescription or something minor you can get at the chemist yourself.... then someone doesn't have to wait 3 weeks because of all the hypochondriacs x

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

They are just doing their job,i've seen the ones in my surgery get abused by people before.They work under the doctors instructions,

Miss

over a year ago

"I think its a great idea.....if your only taking up a doctor's appointment for a repeat prescription or something minor you can get at the chemist yourself.... then someone doesn't have to wait 3 weeks because of all the hypochondriacs x"

thats y i put my repeat in then go grab the prescription up a few days later

over a year ago

"I think its a great idea.....if your only taking up a doctor's appointment for a repeat prescription or something minor you can get at the chemist yourself.... then someone doesn't have to wait 3 weeks because of all the hypochondriacs x"

even with a repeat script your GP will (or should) see you every so often to make sure what you are taking is still right for you.

As for hypochondriacs, if they are that bad at thinking they are ill, they usually take up space in the waiting area of the local A/E not the surgery.

I usually have to wait 3 weeks because my practice partners work part time

over a year ago

"I think its a great idea.....if your only taking up a doctor's appointment for a repeat prescription or something minor you can get at the chemist yourself.... then someone doesn't have to wait 3 weeks because of all the hypochondriacs x

even with a repeat script your GP will (or should) see you every so often to make sure what you are taking is still right for you.

As for hypochondriacs, if they are that bad at thinking they are ill, they usually take up space in the waiting area of the local A/E not the surgery.

I usually have to wait 3 weeks because my practice partners work part time "

i have to see a doctor before i can get a new script as im with a new doctors so will ask if they can change my medication hopefuy wont change that much and i think its evey 6 months or so for a re_iew

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Doctors receptionists have a job to do. One of their jobs isnt setting up an appointment system.

They are told what questions to ask.

They are not responsible for you running out of your medication or leaving it to the last minute.

If you think someone is seriously ill .and cant wait you call an ambulance.

Some receptions have a shit attitude some are carrying out their job.

If you have a complaint complain to the practice manager.

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

They also put the most needy off of actually being able to see a doctor..

Those are the people that then get rushed into hospital a week later and get barracked for not having seen the doctor sooner.

over a year ago

Havent much trust in doctors these days,was told i had an ear infection,and i said to my mother,if i dont get to a hospital now i will die,she called an ambulance and i had pneumonia,blood pressure hardly registering,pulse sky high,stayed there nearly two weeks and was nearly a goner,bloody ear infection nooooo

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Havent much trust in doctors these days,was told i had an ear infection,and i said to my mother,if i dont get to a hospital now i will die,she called an ambulance and i had pneumonia,blood pressure hardly registering,pulse sky high,stayed there nearly two weeks and was nearly a goner,bloody ear infection nooooo "
so that was nothing to do with the receptionist

over a year ago

"they filter to ensure the GP's time is effectively used for the most needed.

They also put the most needy off of actually being able to see a doctor..

Those are the people that then get rushed into hospital a week later and get barracked for not having seen the doctor sooner.

"

Do they really though? Or if they didn't have any form of filtering whatsoever then that person who gets rushed into hospital a week later still wouldn't be able to get an appointment because they'd be all booked up with people getting prescriptions for ibuprofen.

over a year ago

oh great thats me bollocksed then as i have to have tramadol for one of my health issues so not looking forward to my next doctors trip"

I have regular Tramadol repeat prescriptions.

over a year ago

oh great thats me bollocksed then as i have to have tramadol for one of my health issues so not looking forward to my next doctors trip

I have regular Tramadol repeat prescriptions. "

so do i but if they decide to take me off it i wont be allowed it

over a year ago

"Havent much trust in doctors these days,was told i had an ear infection,and i said to my mother,if i dont get to a hospital now i will die,she called an ambulance and i had pneumonia,blood pressure hardly registering,pulse sky high,stayed there nearly two weeks and was nearly a goner,bloody ear infection nooooo so that was nothing to do with the receptionist"
No not in that case,just saying thats,all.

over a year ago

"Havent much trust in doctors these days,was told i had an ear infection,and i said to my mother,if i dont get to a hospital now i will die,she called an ambulance and i had pneumonia,blood pressure hardly registering,pulse sky high,stayed there nearly two weeks and was nearly a goner,bloody ear infection nooooo so that was nothing to do with the receptionist"
No not in that case,just saying thats,all which is allowed i think

over a year ago

Just to be clear it's really, really not a wonderful job. They are having trouble recruiting doctors to do it.

The paperwork mountain (most of clinical paperwork relating to patients) is enormous and the the time to see patients is inadequate.

Most GP partners do a minimum of 60 hours a week.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Exactly this! They are doing what they have been told to do. Take it up with the practice manager if you're not happy. This is the second thread this week bemoaning GP receptionists doing their job.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I have regular Tramadol repeat prescriptions.

so do i but if they decide to take me off it i wont be allowed it"

There is no test to see which painkiller will work for which patient. It's worth watching the The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs.

over a year ago

I'd think they are trying to stop idiots getting appointments that have nothing wrong with them that needs doctor assistance, so the real ill people can get appointments.

I think anyone that works with the General Public deserves a medal. People can be so rude.

As can receptionists of course.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Exactly this! They are doing what they have been told to do. Take it up with the practice manager if you're not happy. This is the second thread this week bemoaning GP receptionists doing their job.

"

The thing is, the system isn't working, it's failing large numbers of people who really DO need to be seen and not fobbed off with an appointment in 2 weeks time.

If I hadn't gone to the walk in centre yesterday after being turned away by my gp receptionist I may well not be here today to talk about it

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

The thing is, the system isn't working, it's failing large numbers of people who really DO need to be seen and not fobbed off with an appointment in 2 weeks time.

If I hadn't gone to the walk in centre yesterday after being turned away by my gp receptionist I may well not be here today to talk about it"

I understand that the system isn't working but blaming the first point of contact doesn't improve it.

We have fewer doctors choosing to be GPs because it's so difficult now. The receptionist can't magic up an appointment that isn't there.

I do think that busy practices should consider having a triage system, similar to A&E, through a nurse. That does mean finding a nurse and having budget for that and it would probably have to one at the higher bands who can be a nurse prescriber to cut through some of the quicker things people turn up for.

My guess is that people would then complain that they 'only' saw a nurse and still blame the receptionist for sending them to the nurse.

over a year ago

If I hadn't gone to the walk in centre yesterday after being turned away by my gp receptionist I may well not be here today to talk about it

I understand that the system isn't working but blaming the first point of contact doesn't improve it.

We have fewer doctors choosing to be GPs because it's so difficult now. The receptionist can't magic up an appointment that isn't there.

I do think that busy practices should consider having a triage system, similar to A&E, through a nurse. That does mean finding a nurse and having budget for that and it would probably have to one at the higher bands who can be a nurse prescriber to cut through some of the quicker things people turn up for.

My guess is that people would then complain that they 'only' saw a nurse and still blame the receptionist for sending them to the nurse.

"

Our GP practice does have a nurse that can prescribe medication.

We rarely have to wait for another day/week for an appointment with either a doc or the nurse. Generally we get one on the day despite the area being overcrowded. We are lucky.

over a year ago

I know being a receptionist must be a hard job but i dont expect the receptionist to tell me about any medical condition because they are not trained to do so,i wasnt rude or disrespectful to her,i just said i would rather talk to a doctor.

over a year ago

"The bitch on the switch is mighty. Like a goddess. It takes skills.

Seriously though it's bloody annoying isn't it? There must be some sort of mean girl training in the induction. "

The induction you mention probably comes from when they actually start working as a receptionist, having to deal with rude, difficult and obnoxious people who blame the receptionists because they are the first point of contact? The reception staff are following guidelines from the practice managers and gps. Do you really think that they actually have the clout to make decisions?

By *FFB69Woman
over a year ago

Torfaen/Gwent

I get your point. But for some people it's not nessecarly that easy. As other people have said it's the quantities they need that can only be had on prescription. Personally, I can't get the pain killers I take over the counter and I can't take ibuprofen for medical reasons. So maybe some people would think I waste drs time but whenever I go for anything pain killer related it's usually because the receptionist has decided I've gone "too long" without the prescription and insists I see a doctor. Despite the fact I've been on pain killers since I was about 10. I need strong ones but don't like taking them all day every day as they are highly addictive so make a months worth last 3 sometimes.

over a year ago

"I think its a great idea.....if your only taking up a doctor's appointment for a repeat prescription or something minor you can get at the chemist yourself.... then someone doesn't have to wait 3 weeks because of all the hypochondriacs x

I get your point. But for some people it's not nessecarly that easy. As other people have said it's the quantities they need that can only be had on prescription. Personally, I can't get the pain killers I take over the counter and I can't take ibuprofen for medical reasons. So maybe some people would think I waste drs time but whenever I go for anything pain killer related it's usually because the receptionist has decided I've gone "too long" without the prescription and insists I see a doctor. Despite the fact I've been on pain killers since I was about 10. I need strong ones but don't like taking them all day every day as they are highly addictive so make a months worth last 3 sometimes. "

The receptionist does not make these decisions! He/she is merely following the correct procedures that are in place to protect you.

over a year ago

"They are cheaper in Wilkinson, I get a packet of ibuprofen for 25p and paracetamol is 22p "

may depend on quantity.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I nearly got talked out of seeing a doctor, I was going with suspected testicular cancer. The receptionist very nearly made me walk out due to her questioning, before the week was out I was in theatre having it removed.

Post new Message to Thread