Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

1950s Dresses shops ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know any shops around the Midlands/Staffordshire area that sell 1950's style dresses and burlesque style dresses ?

Have seen loads of online stores but looking for actual shops

Many years ago used to remember Oasis in Birmingham used to sell things like that but not been into brum for years

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aisyDDWoman
over a year ago

North West

Sorry can't help round your area but for 50s style the best I've worn are the lindy bop dresses. Would be worth seeing if there is anywhere that stocks them. I tend to stick to originals when I can find them in my size x

over a year ago

Thanks Dasiy , much appreciated

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Check out Yours some branches have He'll Bunny dresses also online for a look

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Blue banana right on the main drag on new street. I drool when i go in there

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We have an awesome shop in town. I'll try and remember the name....Bohemian something I think It's worth a look

By *rank n BettyCouple
over a year ago

Not meeting

I've only used Lady V online

JG x

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

Amazon have a lot of 50's inspired designs, Lindy Bop etc

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

I get most of mine from charity shops, or ebay.

Its also very easy to make dresses 50s style. A dresss with a circular skirt, stick a few petticoats under it and its transformed.

I have a perfect skirt i got from a vintage charity shop and you can always picj up little round neck jumpers with buttons down them and short sleeves in charity shops.

If you want handbags again charity shops as stuff comes from old peoples houses being cleared out and are much cheaper than going to a shop where the same thing is described as "vintage" using the word "vintage" wacks up the prices

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

One in Northampton. Some amazing stuff in there

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Sorry can't help round your area but for 50s style the best I've worn are the lindy bop dresses. Would be worth seeing if there is anywhere that stocks them. I tend to stick to originals when I can find them in my size x"
where do you get your originals from i find it so difficult well depressing when went to the vintage shops in brighton there was hardly anything in my size as the sizing was so different. I also have yet to find a long pair of white gloves i can get on my arms

over a year ago

Thanks everyone

By *aisyDDWoman
over a year ago

North West

"Sorry can't help round your area but for 50s style the best I've worn are the lindy bop dresses. Would be worth seeing if there is anywhere that stocks them. I tend to stick to originals when I can find them in my size xwhere do you get your originals from i find it so difficult well depressing when went to the vintage shops in brighton there was hardly anything in my size as the sizing was so different. I also have yet to find a long pair of white gloves i can get on my arms"

I'm lucky to be in the trade, more furniture based but I do get access to stock. Anything above a 10 is gold dust really. My best finds are on eBay. I try to narrow it down on 50s dress. I go into advanced search and cut out the word style then look for used dresses in the vintage category. A lot of the time it's buying from terrible pictures and taking the risk. Can always sell on again if they don't fit. One of my favs came into work in the bottom of a bin bag of blankets. True 50s and fits like a glove!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Sorry can't help round your area but for 50s style the best I've worn are the lindy bop dresses. Would be worth seeing if there is anywhere that stocks them. I tend to stick to originals when I can find them in my size xwhere do you get your originals from i find it so difficult well depressing when went to the vintage shops in brighton there was hardly anything in my size as the sizing was so different. I also have yet to find a long pair of white gloves i can get on my arms

I'm lucky to be in the trade, more furniture based but I do get access to stock. Anything above a 10 is gold dust really. My best finds are on eBay. I try to narrow it down on 50s dress. I go into advanced search and cut out the word style then look for used dresses in the vintage category. A lot of the time it's buying from terrible pictures and taking the risk. Can always sell on again if they don't fit. One of my favs came into work in the bottom of a bin bag of blankets. True 50s and fits like a glove!! "

ahhh yes. Its so difficult to get them

By *aisyDDWoman
over a year ago

North West

"Sorry can't help round your area but for 50s style the best I've worn are the lindy bop dresses. Would be worth seeing if there is anywhere that stocks them. I tend to stick to originals when I can find them in my size xwhere do you get your originals from i find it so difficult well depressing when went to the vintage shops in brighton there was hardly anything in my size as the sizing was so different. I also have yet to find a long pair of white gloves i can get on my arms

I'm lucky to be in the trade, more furniture based but I do get access to stock. Anything above a 10 is gold dust really. My best finds are on eBay. I try to narrow it down on 50s dress. I go into advanced search and cut out the word style then look for used dresses in the vintage category. A lot of the time it's buying from terrible pictures and taking the risk. Can always sell on again if they don't fit. One of my favs came into work in the bottom of a bin bag of blankets. True 50s and fits like a glove!! ahhh yes. Its so difficult to get them "

Tell you what we always forget is women in the 50s wore foundation garments. I've invested in some strong stuff lol girdle takes 2" off my waist!!!

over a year ago

The one that I knew closed down and became a online store. I always purchase mine from Lindybop or lady V online now X

over a year ago

Oasis in brum do still sell stuff like this.

Doll x

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Looks like I'll be in Northampton soon. Thanks for the tips.

over a year ago

Blue banana

Oasis

And also there are few vintage shops in digbeth.

over a year ago

Thank you all so much , will definitely try blue banana and oasis

Thanks for the advice guys it's very much appreciated

Post new Message to Thread