Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Snoop-book

Jump to newest

By *risky_Mare OP   Woman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Ok, we all know that whatsapp is now owned by facebook, but, thus far, I have managed to keep the two separate:

1 My current phone number is not entered onto Fb at all.

2 Fb app is not loaded onto my current phone.

3 My Fb account is in a different name to my phone and whatsapp account

4 The only connection I can see is that I have logged into both accounts via chrome on the curent phone.

Could this be enough to connect the dots and have fb offer me the facebook details of fab contacts who I chat to on whatsapp? It has just happened for the first time today.

Anyone know if google shares it's info with fb or whatsapp?

Not happy.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What's all this that I'm hearing about what's app? Please explain more

Kinky

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I suspect that it could be enough, yes.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"What's all this that I'm hearing about what's app? Please explain more

Kinky "

Facebook now own whatsapp so have access to all their info

over a year ago

I thought it had to be that you have the link button turned on? If you go to your wats app settings you should be able to click no. Otherwise it shouldn't link at all- I hope

over a year ago

I don't like google and wont have it on my laptop because I know it shares information...but I'm not too sure who with..

I got rid of fb on my phone and am in the process of deleting it altogether as a personal account but still keeping my business active..

like you, my current phone number is not linked to fb so there is no connection..

over a year ago

my phone number has never been on facebook and i also get peoples facebook showing up in contacts, have been for ages now.

i'm guessing these people (coz it's not everyone, not even freinds i have on fb) have linked their whatsapp to facebook.

over a year ago

Not good at all We don't use what's app for contact as a rule. Still scary to think that you can be traced though

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I thought it had to be that you have the link button turned on? If you go to your wats app settings you should be able to click no. Otherwise it shouldn't link at all- I hope "

Ah clever lady, of course I'd done a factory reset and reloaded whatsapp and it must have been set to 'on' by default!! Have set it to no link now so hopefully that should stop it, many thanks!!

over a year ago

"I thought it had to be that you have the link button turned on? If you go to your wats app settings you should be able to click no. Otherwise it shouldn't link at all- I hope

Ah clever lady, of course I'd done a factory reset and reloaded whatsapp and it must have been set to 'on' by default!! Have set it to no link now so hopefully that should stop it, many thanks!! "

over a year ago

"my phone number has never been on facebook and i also get peoples facebook showing up in contacts, have been for ages now.

i'm guessing these people (coz it's not everyone, not even freinds i have on fb) have linked their whatsapp to facebook."

Yep, that's what I would think....someone you know and talk to on whatsapp has the two linked. I'm so glad I don't have Facebook.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I always say 'no' to any kind of link-up or automatic loading of contacts, but they can sneak up on by changing default settings the cheeky bastuds!!

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"my phone number has never been on facebook and i also get peoples facebook showing up in contacts, have been for ages now.

i'm guessing these people (coz it's not everyone, not even freinds i have on fb) have linked their whatsapp to facebook.

Yep, that's what I would think....someone you know and talk to on whatsapp has the two linked. I'm so glad I don't have Facebook."

I hope switching the setting off again will sever any past links they have made too!! Luckily the person who popped up is a good fab friend anyway, so no worry.

over a year ago

I'm not sure what links I can post here, but....I read an interesting article recently that's worth reading if you have Facebook and whatsapp. Its called Don’t let WhatsApp nudge you into sharing your data with Facebook and it was in the guardian.

over a year ago

I don't see an option to link/unlink....where is it usually?

Thanks.

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

No Facebook, no cry

over a year ago

"I thought it had to be that you have the link button turned on? If you go to your wats app settings you should be able to click no. Otherwise it shouldn't link at all- I hope

Ah clever lady, of course I'd done a factory reset and reloaded whatsapp and it must have been set to 'on' by default!! Have set it to no link now so hopefully that should stop it, many thanks!! "

I only realised my self recently- I rarely use wats app for fab friends anyway but I got a little freaked when I saw friends suggestions

over a year ago

I was a bit pissed about 6 months ago. I did have FB and Whatapp apps on my phone, but FB does not and never has had my phone number. That being said I still got FB friend suggestions of Fab friends who I communicated with via Whatsapp. Hubby has had the same with LinkIn. We weren't overly worried, as most of our Fab friends are very nice normal people. Then I had a bit of a stalker who found my FB account via Whatsapp and starting creeping. I was so annoyed. I never gave permission for the two to be linked. Currently have suspended my FB amount.

over a year ago

Thanks for this, i never realised any of this, ive spoke with people on whatsapp after meeting on a certain dating site then they pop up in the "people you may know" section of fbk, i always though what a coincidence!

Now i know im just thick lol xx

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman
over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"I don't see an option to link/unlink....where is it usually?

Thanks."

Neither can I

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I was a bit pissed about 6 months ago. I did have FB and Whatapp apps on my phone, but FB does not and never has had my phone number. That being said I still got FB friend suggestions of Fab friends who I communicated with via Whatsapp. Hubby has had the same with LinkIn. We weren't overly worried, as most of our Fab friends are very nice normal people. Then I had a bit of a stalker who found my FB account via Whatsapp and starting creeping. I was so annoyed. I never gave permission for the two to be linked. Currently have suspended my FB amount."

Yes, thinking about it I am still concerned because the two should be separate because they are in different names with different phone numbers. Even if i gave permission for whatsapp to link to 'my' fb, it should not 'know' me on facebook anyway?!! I think I will contact them see what they say.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxhT0q3VPdI

video on disabling sharing.

over a year ago

It's under settings if it's not on there it means your not sharing

over a year ago

I dont have a fb account,people put their lives on there for everybody to see,including the gov and police,and why would you put pics of your kids on?

over a year ago

My phone contacts now come up as Skype and hotmail contacts and I can't delete from hotmail without deleting from my phone. It's annoying that they assume you want to share everything with everyone.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I dont have a fb account,people put their lives on there for everybody to see,including the gov and police,and why would you put pics of your kids on?"

Yes, madness, or even your friends - mine are hidden. I only opened the account 'cos all my dance fixtures are publicised on facebook, it's invaluable for that.

over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"My phone contacts now come up as Skype and hotmail contacts and I can't delete from hotmail without deleting from my phone. It's annoying that they assume you want to share everything with everyone. "

Yes, I hate it, I want to keep my work, social and private lives separate.

over a year ago

"I dont have a fb account,people put their lives on there for everybody to see,including the gov and police,and why would you put pics of your kids on?"

What's the problem with putting photos of children on Facebook for friends and family to see? Hundreds of people walk past them every day in the street,within touching distance too. And if you take them swimming,well anyone can see them in their swimsuits and swim next to them and actually brush past them.

over a year ago

"I dont have a fb account,people put their lives on there for everybody to see,including the gov and police,and why would you put pics of your kids on?

What's the problem with putting photos of children on Facebook for friends and family to see? Hundreds of people walk past them every day in the street,within touching distance too. And if you take them swimming,well anyone can see them in their swimsuits and swim next to them and actually brush past them. "

Im not on fb but apparently my pics are,i dont have a choice in the matter its pathetic

Post new Message to Thread