FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Why are certain occupations biased towards one sex?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've been looking at changing my car. Mr G has been working on a project so a female friend has been coming to different garages with me. I've yet to come across a female car sales person. There have been ladies on reception but none on the sales desk. I sometimes feel more comfortable chatting to another female so why aren't there any?

I realise some occupations seem biased the other way, but in this day and age it seems strange it's still like that.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

female operators and instrument technicians offshore simply do not have the strength and stamina to carry out a job safely.

over a year ago

"female operators and instrument technicians offshore simply do not have the strength and stamina to carry out a job safely."

Carrying a pair of stillsons ain't needed on a forecourt..tbh I've seen a few in my time..some good some shit

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Perhaps women can't lie effectively enough to do car sales.

over a year ago

"female operators and instrument technicians offshore simply do not have the strength and stamina to carry out a job safely."

At this point my Sister (big strong lass) would have picked you up and chucked you off the platform and your spanners would have followed you aswell.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Perhaps women can't lie effectively enough to do car sales.

"

my initial thought also, some men are just probably better at talking bollocks and pointless flim flammery about a car ..

over a year ago

"I've been looking at changing my car. Mr G has been working on a project so a female friend has been coming to different garages with me. I've yet to come across a female car sales person. There have been ladies on reception but none on the sales desk. I sometimes feel more comfortable chatting to another female so why aren't there any?

I realise some occupations seem biased the other way, but in this day and age it seems strange it's still like that. "

My partner has just bought a brand new car sold to her by a female

over a year ago

I was having a discussion about this the other day.

The thing is, bias in occupations isn't always the main factor, generally and more often than not its down to the roles men and women want, not what they can or can't do.

More women go into nursing, childcare, hairdressing than men for instance. Not because they can't be doctors or engineers or corporate ceo's but because they choose to pursue a different career. It's not sexists or bias, it's just choices.

over a year ago

females are used best in business when they're sexualised and all flirty and that, so they're only needed to communicate with others as an introduction to the business itself.

men are better are ripping people off when doing actual business, so for sales and pushing them men are used.

that's how i see it.

most business models suck.

over a year ago

Im a chef and in 6 different kitchens 2 of then high end michelin star kitchens i have only ever come across 1 female chef (she was a badass both at cooking and banter)

Mr

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"female operators and instrument technicians offshore simply do not have the strength and stamina to carry out a job safely.

At this point my Sister (big strong lass) would have picked you up and chucked you off the platform and your spanners would have followed you aswell. "

As would the young lady who was my radio operator and driver. 5'4 and carried the same 50kg of gear as the rest of the lads. And she would probably shoved her machine gun up your ass too .

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"I was having a discussion about this the other day.

The thing is, bias in occupations isn't always the main factor, generally and more often than not its down to the roles men and women want, not what they can or can't do.

More women go into nursing, childcare, hairdressing than men for instance. Not because they can't be doctors or engineers or corporate ceo's but because they choose to pursue a different career. It's not sexists or bias, it's just choices.

"

This to a certain degree. There aren't as many women interested in cars as men so it would stand to reason there would be less selling cars. I do think a typical male dominated field can also be off putting for women also - factoring in potential sexism, a male network, harrassment etc.

In my particular field, the women tend to have the more sexualised roles, the men managerial which id a shame. There's a number of contributing factors but quite often it is choice.

over a year ago

Female close protection operatives (bodyguards) are few and far between, but the good ones command massive salaries.

I know a lady who did CP for Maddonna for a couple of years when she lived in London.

Was earning £100k plus a year.

Somebody has to take the queen of pop to the porcelain throne in public places

over a year ago

"

And I get that, choices, but I would like there to be more women who sell cars. Few more garages to go yet so might come across one.

Maybe it's just because the salesman yesterday was just annoyingl and was determined to sell me a car I didn't want, but not all of them are like that.

I know a few female engineers btw.

Sarah

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

[Removed by poster at 23/09/16 12:40:36]

over a year ago

"female operators and instrument technicians offshore simply do not have the strength and stamina to carry out a job safely.

At this point my Sister (big strong lass) would have picked you up and chucked you off the platform and your spanners would have followed you aswell.

As would the young lady who was my radio operator and driver. 5'4 and carried the same 50kg of gear as the rest of the lads. And she would probably shoved her machine gun up your ass too ."

I am stating facts here of what I have experienced over 30 years, you other two quotes are simply fantasy including your machine gun shite

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Why would any self respecting female that would aspire to work in sales and finance actually want to try and sell cars?

Although the local Jag dealers employs some rather attractive sales assistants.. I quite often stand there licking the windows..things of beauty those F types.

over a year ago

Cars are boring.

Women like clothing,make up and shoes when it comes to selling stuff.

Why don't you see men working in florists?

over a year ago

This to a certain degree. There aren't as many women interested in cars as men so it would stand to reason there would be less selling cars. I do think a typical male dominated field can also be off putting for women also - factoring in potential sexism, a male network, harrassment etc.

In my particular field, the women tend to have the more sexualised roles, the men managerial which id a shame. There's a number of contributing factors but quite often it is choice. "

I am interested in cars and have female friends that are. But maybe it is a difficult industry to get into. We must buy a fair perecentage of cars nowadays even if it's less than 50%.

over a year ago

As would the young lady who was my radio operator and driver. 5'4 and carried the same 50kg of gear as the rest of the lads. And she would probably shoved her machine gun up your ass too .

I am stating facts here of what I have experienced over 30 years, you other two quotes are simply fantasy including your machine gun shite"

Haha.....i only wrote one reply ....the funny one with the spanners.

over a year ago

"Female close protection operatives (bodyguards) are few and far between, but the good ones command massive salaries.

I know a lady who did CP for Maddonna for a couple of years when she lived in London.

Was earning £100k plus a year.

Somebody has to take the queen of pop to the porcelain throne in public places "

I work for a company that does a top close protection for a local premier league football team.. Madonna is a piece of cake compared to sometimes 30 footballing stars and the hangers on

over a year ago

Societal norms. It starts at school. I went to a single sex school and more girls took A Level physics than from all of the other schools in the city combined, because we were a bit insulated from the notion of there being subjects for boys and subjects for girls.

There's also an element of men and women often tending to have different skills sets. Caring vs analytical for example. Although that's probably influenced by upbringing and society too.

By *uperGuy68Man
over a year ago

Southampton

What has that bollocks got to do with buying a car?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Now, maybe someone could answer me this.

As someone above said about nearly all chefs are male and always have been. Yet when i was at school no boys (apart from the token one) ever did home economics, so when did these male chefs start taking an interest in food and cooking

over a year ago

"

There are more women than men at Medical School these days.

By *uiet confidenceMan
over a year ago

Warrington

"Now, maybe someone could answer me this.

As someone above said about nearly all chefs are male and always have been. Yet when i was at school no boys (apart from the token one) ever did home economics, so when did these male chefs start taking an interest in food and cooking"

I'm no chef, but I've always loved cooking. I didn't take cookery/home economics in school for the simple reason that the few lessons I did have were so noddy it was pointless (how to make a fruit salad etc). It may not explain things across the board, but it was my reason for choosing woodwork instead!

over a year ago

"Societal norms. It starts at school. I went to a single sex school and more girls took A Level physics than from all of the other schools in the city combined, because we were a bit insulated from the notion of there being subjects for boys and subjects for girls.

There's also an element of men and women often tending to have different skills sets. Caring vs analytical for example. Although that's probably influenced by upbringing and society too. "

A girl into Physics is a massive turn on I must say...I'm sure if more women got into Physics, more breakthroughs would happen due to the fresh ways of tackling problems.

over a year ago

"Societal norms. It starts at school. I went to a single sex school and more girls took A Level physics than from all of the other schools in the city combined, because we were a bit insulated from the notion of there being subjects for boys and subjects for girls.

There's also an element of men and women often tending to have different skills sets. Caring vs analytical for example. Although that's probably influenced by upbringing and society too. "

This is true partly but I also think men and women are generally wired up differently. e.g men like to make and fix things whereas women like to take care of people

over a year ago

like catholic priests

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

As someone above said about nearly all chefs are male and always have been. Yet when i was at school no boys (apart from the token one) ever did home economics, so when did these male chefs start taking an interest in food and cooking

I'm no chef, but I've always loved cooking. I didn't take cookery/home economics in school for the simple reason that the few lessons I did have were so noddy it was pointless (how to make a fruit salad etc). It may not explain things across the board, but it was my reason for choosing woodwork instead! "

but where do their qualifications come from if they didnt take o and a level

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think the media has a lot to answer to for this.

I think things were changing in the 80s, I know that in the late 80s when I was deciding what yo study for . .. and then things seemed to start getting heavily marketed on a gender basis.

I don't remember toy shops having huge swathes of pink aimed at girls and blue at boys when I was small.

Schools are still very gender biased when offering careers advice too.

over a year ago

I'm no chef, but I've always loved cooking. I didn't take cookery/home economics in school for the simple reason that the few lessons I did have were so noddy it was pointless (how to make a fruit salad etc). It may not explain things across the board, but it was my reason for choosing woodwork instead! but where do their qualifications come from if they didnt take o and a level"

Catering college alongside doing an entry level kitchen position is usually the way.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

When i was at school girls where still doing needlework and commerce, thats why i had rsas rather than o levels

By *xx1Man
over a year ago

"Cars are boring.

Women like clothing,make up and shoes when it comes to selling stuff.

Why don't you see men working in florists?

"

You do. I once owned one too.

X

By *iSTARessWoman
over a year ago

London

I've performed professionally as a female drag queen for 13 years.

So yeah.

Smash that ceiling ladies!

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

As someone above said about nearly all chefs are male and always have been. Yet when i was at school no boys (apart from the token one) ever did home economics, so when did these male chefs start taking an interest in food and cooking"

My nephew is a chef. His interest in food and love of cooking came while he was still in nappies! He would stand on a stool in the kitchen and try to help his mum cook.

At 8 years old he told his mum he didn't want a birthday present, asked if she would take him to a seafood restaurant and buy him lobster instead.

I don't think they call it home economics anymore

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I've been looking at changing my car. Mr G has been working on a project so a female friend has been coming to different garages with me. I've yet to come across a female car sales person. There have been ladies on reception but none on the sales desk. I sometimes feel more comfortable chatting to another female so why aren't there any?

I realise some occupations seem biased the other way, but in this day and age it seems strange it's still like that. "

Certain personality types are drawn to certain jobs. Certain personality types can also be found most commonly but not exclusively in certain sexes.

Therefore someone from the opposite sex sees a job filled with people of the one sex and may feel intimidated to work in that sector as a result. I can think of a great many jobs where that is the case.

over a year ago

"

over a year ago

"

Agree with this.

By *rinking-in-laCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

There's also an element of men and women often tending to have different skills sets. Caring vs analytical for example. Although that's probably influenced by upbringing and society too.

A girl into Physics is a massive turn on I must say...I'm sure if more women got into Physics, more breakthroughs would happen due to the fresh ways of tackling problems."

That's really patronising. Why would one work differently to the other.

By *iggles and BeardyCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

They likely always did but were pretty much told by the teachers to " fuck off and stop taking the piss". I wanted to do child care and become a social worker, when I left school in 86 and I got two answers...

1: you are a lad, why do you wish to work with children? Isn't that a bit odd (they acted like I was some kind of pedo)

2: I'm sorry, but as you were put in care as a young child for abuse, you can't become a social worker or join the course.

Years later 96ish,I wanted to work as a youth worker and help guide youngsters away from crime (having been sentenced for such crimes as a youth

and knowing first hand the pit falls of homelessness and other problems) but again was treated like I must be a pedo, if I wished to work with youth centres as a white straight male!!!

I also thought about hairdressing, but couldn't be arsed with all the "ohh so how long have you been out" questions.

As a house dad, possibly my favourite job ever (how many dads get the privilege of actually seeing there kids first walk or talk, rather than just being told after a day at work) as wiggles had a better paid job, so I got to look after kids. I constantly got mums say "ohh your a house husband, you must love having such an easy life just playing with your kid all day". Then in next breath, bitch about "how difficult being a mum is, cleaning, cooking and picking up kid from school"

Society as a whole has some fucked up ideas, ragardless of gender and it isn't down to just some patriarchy crap.

Now I'm self employed, so win win. I work when I want to and can spend anytime I like with my son and no daft boss who dictates who does what job . (Ok my wife still tells me to do stuff but I can pretend I'm in charge lol)

By *unnynbugsCouple
over a year ago

Neath

At this point my Sister (big strong lass) would have picked you up and chucked you off the platform and your spanners would have followed you aswell. "

CREASED!!!!!

over a year ago

"

You have spoken to a woman I presume!

over a year ago

It's obviously to do with peoples own choices

Why aren't you a car sales person OP?

over a year ago

Agree with this. "

Agreed, sheryl sandberg complains about not enough women wanting to aim for the corporate top but she is an outlier and totally deluded by her type AAA personality. Most women have more sense and recognise there is more to life that working ones way up to the ladder at the cost of family life

Again its all about choice...not the man trying to keep anyone down

over a year ago

"It's obviously to do with peoples own choices

Why aren't you a car sales person OP? "

Because I wouldn't be good at selling anything. I'm great at buying though.

Sarah

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I am stating facts here of what I have experienced over 30 years, you other two quotes are simply fantasy including your machine gun shite"

You are stating your experience which is not fact.

over a year ago

A few go to catering colledge but the vast majority of chefs take a job in a kitchen and train on the job through lack of other options a small proportion fall in love with cooking and the pressure the job brings and the others fall at the wayside when they realise just how tough the job is and make no mistake a professional kitchen requires dedication like few other jobs (in a michelin star kitchen a standard week would be 80hrs plus of sweat tears and stress) its a great career if but you have to love it

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I read every post because the subject matter interested me.

I can't agree with any response so far and especially not the ones that continue to label women 'more caring' or 'not choosing' to make certain career choices. Those are simply the type of fallacies that reinforce cultural beliefs and practises rather than 'natural' ( hate the word ) facts.

I don't know how many women are employed on forecourts selling cars but I DO know that women have FAR GREATER influence than men in what car is bought for the family.

If you think WHY our society thinks women love pink, lippy, high heels, chocolate, sparkly things, kitchens, dresses and Christmas and mopping up shit and sick....... you need to study the genesis of those beliefs and how it's maintained.

Just as fallacies about males are maintained. You know....... like they have HUGE stamina, are very analytical are uncaring and make better car sales people.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

The strength and stamina excuse are a cop out, probably more down to several factors such as women not wanting to work off shore or the attitude of some men within that workplace..

we've had female firefighters for over 30 years now carrying out the same roles as their male counterparts and yes there have been issue's with some knuckle dragging men its getting better ..

over a year ago

I dont think physical or mental atributtes have a huge amount to do with women not taking certain jobs and im sure women would be able to do these jobs just as well

I can only talk about kitchens as its all i know but id say the reason there are very few female chefs is because its a male dominated environment where banter, foul language and inappropriate behaviour are common place and fair or not women dont seem to last very long, the ones who do are the ones who have a very strong, loud and forcefull personality

over a year ago

I can bench press 130kg, that strong enough?

over a year ago

I worked in housing development on the building sites. I often never saw another woman from one week to the next. Perfect job really.

On the other side I now work in hotel management. Just employed an older male receptionist. You don't see many of those about either.

By *inkyChrissy99TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Some jobs are just better suited to males or females..... There will always be exceptions but thats just the way it is.

Your example is a prime one, to be a good car salesman you have to know your cars.... More men tend to be into cars so they have a headstart experience wise.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Some jobs are just better suited to males or females..... There will always be exceptions but thats just the way it is.

Your example is a prime one, to be a good car salesman you have to know your cars.... More men tend to be into cars so they have a headstart experience wise."

Yeah I can't see any woman EVER understanding the intracies of cars. I think we should get the assembly robots to sell them. Or maybe a world famous female racing driver or even CAROLINE the owner of Caroline's Cars with female mechanics........ pink of course

Post new Message to Thread