Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Living on water.

Jump to newest

By *opsy Rogers OP   Woman
over a year ago

London

How easy is it? How does it work? Are there constant docking fees, insurance, licences?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I thought this was another diet thread.

By *relanddirectMan
over a year ago

cheshire

Do u mean canal boat or yacht? Or river boat?

over a year ago

London

"Do u mean canal boat or yacht? Or river boat? "

Canal most likely.

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

You usually pay mooring fees to the harbour master of wherever you dock and some places insist you move on after a period of time..you can also rent narrow boats to live on

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

" I thought this was another diet thread."

Haaaa me Too

over a year ago

"How easy is it? How does it work? Are there constant docking fees, insurance, licences?"

If you live on a barge, if you can;t get a permanent mooring then you have to be able to prove that you ate continually moving or the waterways authorities have the power to seize your boat. It;s pretty archaic!

over a year ago

"You usually pay mooring fees to the harbour master of wherever you dock and some places insist you move on after a period of time..you can also rent narrow boats to live on "

many places insist you move on, unless you have paid extremely expensive mooring fees

There was a documentary on this not too long ago

over a year ago

London

" I thought this was another diet thread.

Haaaa me Too "

Vile stuff, water. Mind you, just think of the (temporary) skinny potential.

over a year ago

London

"How easy is it? How does it work? Are there constant docking fees, insurance, licences?

If you live on a barge, if you can;t get a permanent mooring then you have to be able to prove that you ate continually moving or the waterways authorities have the power to seize your boat. It;s pretty archaic!"

Bloody hell!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Most women on here eat continually ...........

'sno prob.

over a year ago

To OP

I actually live all year round on a narrowboat on the canal and have done for the last few years.

What questions do you have?

Will answer here or if you prefer to message any questions am more than happy to help.

Living on a boat isn't for everybody, for me, I love it and have no intentions of ever going back to a house

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

We move ours between Monaco and Cannes in summer and the Carribean islands in winter

I'm not sure of fees our crew of Swedish girls do all the admin stuff

Seriously though, nice idea OP, just need some trustworthy expert help on a boat though. Have you seen tv programmes where they do them up? Looks nice

over a year ago

You thinking of moving to Barrow Tops?

over a year ago

Probably best to start off with a boat of some kind unless you're particularly adept at floating!

Should that be out of your budget, lifejackets/rubber rings are fairly cheap!

If you fancy something different, you could sail the seven seas atop an inflatable dinosaur/alligator?

Best of luck either way, you salty sea dog!

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

Ask the waterways .....

over a year ago

Some basics :

A boat needs to have a mooring. If it does not then that is classified a continuous cruising where you are to change location every couple of weeks. A mooring is permanent and the boat does not need to be moved.

A mooring may be 'residential' or 'non residential'. I have a permanent mooring in a marina.

A residential mooring can act as an official postal address, but you pay council tax. A non residential mooring cannot be a permanent residence and so does not attract council tax.

Rules on the canal are more like guidelines

A boat must be licensed with the canal and river trust. There is an annual fee determined by the length and beam (width) of the boat. Mine is a 45ft narrow and cost around £800 per year to licence. The boat must be insured £150 ish annually and hold a valid safety certificate (these renew every 4 years (or it may be 5, I can't quite remember)).

If you have a mooring then there will be mooring fees. This will depend on the mooring location and the size of the boat. I pay a little over £2000 per year for mine. Some, will bemoreand some will be less. Think of the total cost as around an average rent.

That's before you think of the style of boat, how oh will heat it, toilets, inverters, generators, battery conditioners etc.

Then you have to buy a boat

By *omez42Man
over a year ago

gloucester

I have some friends on a residential mooring. They pay more for the mooring than I pay in rent!

They have piped water and electricity, but use bottled gas and have to pay for the waste tank to be pumped out every month.

To them, it's a floating home, but it does get cold when the propane runs out in the middle of the night!

over a year ago

"Ask the waterways ....."

Speak the language of the water!

Whisper, don't shout though...

Post new Message to Thread