Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sick pay

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Question

So I am entitled to full sick pay at work.I had my first day off work sick last week and in my weekly pay packet I received £13 nett less than normal.

Not a problem I just presumed I would get my normal nett pay amount.

Should I have done??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If it's not in your contract that you get paid sick leave them you'll only be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). You don't get anything until you have been off over 3 days then it's about £15 a day (I think, but please don't quote me) for every working day from that fourth day. Obviously of you only work part time it's half that. Hope that helps

over a year ago

Probably a question better directed at your payroll manager perhaps? It's doubtful anyone here will know your company's policies or sick pay rules.

over a year ago

"If it's not in your contract that you get paid sick leave them you'll only be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). You don't get anything until you have been off over 3 days then it's about £15 a day (I think, but please don't quote me) for every working day from that fourth day. Obviously of you only work part time it's half that. Hope that helps "

I get full sick pay entitlement as I have been there over five years.

over a year ago

"Probably a question better directed at your payroll manager perhaps? It's doubtful anyone here will know your company's policies or sick pay rules. "

Yeah I will ask tomorrow.The policy is full pay after five years.

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

Current ssp is £88.45 per week from memory I've left work so can't see, buy you also could get occupational sick pay which is your employees sickness scheme, depending on whether you've earnt the ave of about £115 per week over the qualifying period of I think 13 weeks you will get basic ssp topped up by OSP.

So many welfare benefits I can't remember the Exact details of them all so I could be out on the amounts very slightly. My memory is shocking!

over a year ago

Do you work shifts and they've taken the shift allowance off?

over a year ago

"Current ssp is £88.45 per week from memory I've left work so can't see, buy you also could get occupational sick pay which is your employees sickness scheme, depending on whether you've earnt the ave of about £115 per week over the qualifying period of I think 13 weeks you will get basic ssp topped up by OSP.

So many welfare benefits I can't remember the Exact details of them all so I could be out on the amounts very slightly. My memory is shocking!

"

I've been there over 16 years,I had a week off with a dislocated shoulder about 9 years ago and I'm sure my weekly pay didn't change by more than a few pennies.

over a year ago

"Do you work shifts and they've taken the shift allowance off?"

No standard 40 hour week.

By *mojeeCouple
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Each company is different I believe. With mine I get six months paid sick leave paper year then 6 months half pay so best to check your contract and speak to HR.

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

Could be a tax or pension. Adjustment? Do you have any salary sacrifice schemes you pay into as certain ones do not permit payments with ssp,(they would show as a deduction on your gross column not deduction column) there could be several reasons and without seeing the wage slip it could be anything, pay roll would be ur best bet

over a year ago

"Do you work shifts and they've taken the shift allowance off?

No standard 40 hour week."

Are there any other allowances that you get?

over a year ago

"Do you work shifts and they've taken the shift allowance off?

No standard 40 hour week.

Are there any other allowances that you get? "

Only a small management fee £10 per week

over a year ago

"Could be a tax or pension. Adjustment? Do you have any salary sacrifice schemes you pay into as certain ones do not permit payments with ssp,(they would show as a deduction on your gross column not deduction column) there could be several reasons and without seeing the wage slip it could be anything, pay roll would be ur best bet "

No nothing like that lets say I take home £350 per week nett pay when I was off before I'm sur I still came out with £350.By what happened this week I would be less about £65 which to me isn't full sick pay.

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

Could be the cut off for payroll to do the admin. You could get it in the following one, I'd call em

over a year ago

"Could be the cut off for payroll to do the admin. You could get it in the following one, I'd call em"

We are only a small place(about 5 employees) ill enquire tomorrow.Thanks for helping

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I can't believe it's so awful for some people who work and get sick. I'm ignorant and thought we just got normal pay levels if sick. On the USA it's pretty bad and entitlements to holidays and sick pay generally accrue very slowly.

It's not as if your mortgage, rent or car payments etc reduce, just because someone didn't vaccinate their healthy family, which later caught and spread a preventable disease around your community.

People should be paid fully at their regular income levels if they become sick - we're just a poor excuse for a humane society without that.

By *aughty_amazonWoman
over a year ago

BRISTOL

"Could be the cut off for payroll to do the admin. You could get it in the following one, I'd call em

We are only a small place(about 5 employees) ill enquire tomorrow.Thanks for helping "

No worries I'm.a benefit officer rather than payroll but I've seen about a million pay slips in my life time!!!

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

If you get any daily or shift allowances, your employer is entitled to cut them if you haven't worked the shift.

over a year ago

Its sometimes the sick pay does not kick in until the third day depending on your company policy.

Doll x

Post new Message to Thread