Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Contactless cards

Jump to newest

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I've had my new debit card sent and it's one of the new contactless cards ... It wasn't so long ago the security of chip and pin was the way forward

Now it's £30.00 limit with no check on the card ...

Contactless cards

Step forward or step backwards

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've had one for a couple of years now x

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Considering the amount of security that goes into the contactless card its a step forward.

It reduces the chances for people to clone your chip and pin which reduces fraud and most card fraud is a step towards identity fraud

over a year ago

I guess they think it would take a thief a fair while to go from shop to shop spending £30 , by which time it's probably been noticed as missing .

over a year ago

"I've had my new debit card sent and it's one of the new contactless cards ... It wasn't so long ago the security of chip and pin was the way forward

Contactless cards

Step forward or step backwards "

I prefer not to use contactless because it is treated in the same way as cheques - ie it doesn't clear from your account for a few days. Plus if you drop your card anyone can pick it up and spend on it - I know it's not a massive amount, but even so. Contactless was a crap idea as far as I am concerned!

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I love it

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

I have a sheath I slip mine in so it can't be read until I choose. So the time I save typing in my pin is now taken up fumbling around trying to get it out and back in its sheath and sliding it back into the correct purse slot.

over a year ago

I love mine..

I just whip it out and voila!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Oh no way was i going to use mine whinged to anyone who would listen gave it a try and now i moan cause i have to tap my numbers in over £30 and moan even more if i forget to use cash back if i need some money

over a year ago

I have one but don't use it. Instead I've set it up on my iPhone and use the Apple Pay instead. A really efficient way of paying, although harder to keep tabs on what you spend.

By *nkySwitchTV/TS
over a year ago

Stirling

It's great..I get a £5 cash back reward from my bank each month for using it

over a year ago

"I have a sheath I slip mine in so it can't be read until I choose. So the time I save typing in my pin is now taken up fumbling around trying to get it out and back in its sheath and sliding it back into the correct purse slot."

That should go on the That's What She Said thread.

over a year ago

Apple Pay the way forward, safer with finger print recognision .... works a treat

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"I have a sheath I slip mine in so it can't be read until I choose. So the time I save typing in my pin is now taken up fumbling around trying to get it out and back in its sheath and sliding it back into the correct purse slot.

That should go on the That's What She Said thread. "

;-)

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Apple Pay on iPhone and watch use it all the time - I can choose which of my 3 cards to use with Apple play also !

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

I'm sure the new chip will be more secure than the old ..just put it in the chip and pin cards.. I can't see why the pin was such a chore to enter, I'd prefer the option to disable the contactless bit on my card.

By *manda63Woman
over a year ago

Southampton

I wouldn't want one

over a year ago

Ive not had one, but apparently they can only be used a certain amount of times before you're required to enter your pin, a method to ensure it hasn't been stolen.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Didn't even realise I had one until the other day

I prefer to pay by cash

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I used mine instead of an Oyster card on TfL. So easy.

That's pretty much it though, Mrs ddc pays for everything else. (I once told my bank that if it wasn't a payment to Screwfix or an Internet wine company, any other payment on my card was guaranteed fraud)

Mr ddc

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Don't think I have a card that hasn't this.

Makes life so much easier when in a rush.

Marketing thought, contactless card for clit stimulation for when time is short, Swipe it a couple of times and....

over a year ago

I like it

over a year ago

I will never have a conta tless card. Too dangerous.

You only need a mobile phone and you can steal if you know what you are doing.

Technology step too far in my book

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

And contactless mobile phones, be a lot quieter on trains...

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

I dont like it .... ill never use it .... its not safe .....

over a year ago

Contactless cards can only be used 5 successive times and then you have to use your pin number before the bank will authorise another contactless payment so the scope for having your account emptied is pretty limited

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Contactless public toilet seats, kind of a gravitational compensation device....

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"I will never have a conta tless card. Too dangerous.

Technology step too far in my book"

The card emits a weak radio signal to the machine. So to clone it you would need to be

1) sat on top of the machine

2) have access to a radio receiver, decoder and high spec laptop

3) look normal with three big bits of equipment

And then follow the person from shop to shop in hope of getting their pin for security checks.

Where as a chip and pin machine trasmits directly to a router....even todays internet signals still trasmit in binary code. This will always be the weakness in any system.

With the contactless card it is designed to use a solo pin code in the radio frequency which is then encrypted and sent as another encrypted packet..which looks almost identical to a standard ping packet....so with the extra encryptions not sure how it could be made less secure?

over a year ago

It's good. Saves me 42 seconds every so often.

Channel something news is doing a live bank scam running total at the mo.

I'm kinda glad I'm skint in a way.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jul/23/contactless-card-is-too-easy-says-which

over a year ago

"Contactless cards can only be used 5 successive times and then you have to use your pin number before the bank will authorise another contactless payment so the scope for having your account emptied is pretty limited"

Wanna bet?

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Contactless public toilet seats, kind of a gravitational compensation device...."

Ah just whack a bit of bog roll on it

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

I've had four fraudulent transactions on different cards, the banks dealt with it quickly and without problem. If they saw this as a big threat conspired with what else was going on the would withdraw them. Never seen a banker wanting to loose money.

Now contactless condoms would save the NHS millions.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"I've had four fraudulent transactions on different cards, the banks dealt with it quickly and without problem. If they saw this as a big threat conspired with what else was going on the would withdraw them. Never seen a banker wanting to loose money.

Now contactless condoms would save the NHS millions."

Sorry should have added they were Internet fraudulent transactions.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

If a machine can scan it then fraudsters will build one with a greater range. It's only a matter of time. I vote step backwards.

over a year ago

"I will never have a conta tless card. Too dangerous.

Technology step too far in my book

The card emits a weak radio signal to the machine. So to clone it you would need to be

1) sat on top of the machine

2) have access to a radio receiver, decoder and high spec laptop

3) look normal with three big bits of equipment

And then follow the person from shop to shop in hope of getting their pin for security checks.

Where as a chip and pin machine trasmits directly to a router....even todays internet signals still trasmit in binary code. This will always be the weakness in any system.

With the contactless card it is designed to use a solo pin code in the radio frequency which is then encrypted and sent as another encrypted packet..which looks almost identical to a standard ping packet....so with the extra encryptions not sure how it could be made less secure? "

For me, it's meant I'm carrying less cash too - which is far more at risk of being lost or nicked

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Suppose it depends in which camp you subscribe to:

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Or

Every silver lining has a cloud.

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"If a machine can scan it then fraudsters will build one with a greater range. It's only a matter of time. I vote step backwards."

The transmission is so low powered to receive it you would literally have to be on top of the machine, with the scanner on top of the card to get it.

Also its only activates when its within immediate proximity to the reader (its why it feels magnetic once it gets within 1cm)

But lets go with someone getting a bigger and more powerful scanner....to run a scanner like that would take a lot of juice, so now we are talking about getting a generator involved to suppy the power for it.....so now we are looking for a large white van, with a generator following one person as they shop....or we could just stick to skimming chip and pin which is highly rife still and ten times easier to pull off

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

So if I understand correctly ...I can use contactless for amounts £30.00..or I can still use it as nnormall ie in the slot and enter my pin as well .

anything £30.00 I have to use the chip and pin..

So the anti tamper super duper encryption technology works 1.on the contactless side 2. or across both chip and pin and contactless ...

It just seems an easy way for anyone who gains access to a person's card to have a spend with no checks ..

By *arehamMan
over a year ago

handforth

You don't have to put your pin no in you just put the card on the front of the reader ,and you normally get five green lights at the top to say that it's ok.

over a year ago

My card stops working on buses every now and then,which can be very annoying.

over a year ago

Call me a bit too careful but having watched a few documentaries about how thieves can access your data within 3 feet once activated, makes me uncomfortable ever activating the contactless.

...that or I'm taking documentaries too seriously.

By *inkyChrissy99TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Step forward for sure in terms of convenience but in terms of security I find it hard to defend.

I don't like them creeping it up too.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Those sheath protectors are only £1 each, for those worried.

A company called owl makes them.

They were on the morning TV yesterday.

By *isa 59Woman
over a year ago

Newcastle

"So if I understand correctly ...I can use contactless for amounts £30.00..or I can still use it as nnormall ie in the slot and enter my pin as well .

anything £30.00 I have to use the chip and pin..

So the anti tamper super duper encryption technology works 1.on the contactless side 2. or across both chip and pin and contactless ...

It just seems an easy way for anyone who gains access to a person's card to have a spend with no checks .. "

You don't 'have' to use the contactless if you don't want to and indeed lots of places still don't accept it.

over a year ago

Story in the paper states that thieves were able to use a contactless eight months after the card was reported stolen and supposedly blocked.

The bank has admitted to a security flaw with contactless.

How long are you planning to keep checking your balances for anomolies ?

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Personally i go through my accounts once a month for things that shouldn't be there.

I have seperate cards for seperate things.

If the bank took 8 months to stop the fraud....after i presume issuing a new card and cancelling the old then its the individuals fault for not doing their job properly really

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"I have a sheath I slip mine in so it can't be read until I choose. So the time I save typing in my pin is now taken up fumbling around trying to get it out and back in its sheath and sliding it back into the correct purse slot."
. Does the sheath actually work I am sure some of those devices I have seen don't do anything... Have you tried swiping it without removing it from the cover?

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

"Personally i go through my accounts once a month for things that shouldn't be there.

I have seperate cards for seperate things.

If the bank took 8 months to stop the fraud....after i presume issuing a new card and cancelling the old then its the individuals fault for not doing their job properly really

"

If someone didn't notice loosing money for 8 months the bank would be well within its rights not to refund it

By *am-RaiderMan
over a year ago

Corby

[Removed by poster at 20/09/16 21:41:13]

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Considering the amount of security that goes into the contactless card its a step forward.

It reduces the chances for people to clone your chip and pin which reduces fraud and most card fraud is a step towards identity fraud "

No they get your details from a card reader, even when the card is in your bag.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"I have a sheath I slip mine in so it can't be read until I choose. So the time I save typing in my pin is now taken up fumbling around trying to get it out and back in its sheath and sliding it back into the correct purse slot.. Does the sheath actually work I am sure some of those devices I have seen don't do anything... Have you tried swiping it without removing it from the cover?"

Yep. I am curious like that.

By *am-RaiderMan
over a year ago

Corby

"If a machine can scan it then fraudsters will build one with a greater range. It's only a matter of time. I vote step backwards.

The transmission is so low powered to receive it you would literally have to be on top of the machine, with the scanner on top of the card to get it.

Also its only activates when its within immediate proximity to the reader (its why it feels magnetic once it gets within 1cm)

But lets go with someone getting a bigger and more powerful scanner....to run a scanner like that would take a lot of juice, so now we are talking about getting a generator involved to suppy the power for it.....so now we are looking for a large white van, with a generator following one person as they shop....or we could just stick to skimming chip and pin which is highly rife still and ten times easier to pull off "

The fact is that NFC is built into phones and although works over short distances so would have to almost contact your card or phone through a pocket surely it would not be too hard to the really tech savvy to emulate a shop payment doofer to harvest your details and produce an electronic clone of your card on a smart phone.

And the supersmarts only needs to be worked out once. One criminal geek working out an app to do the job and all of a sudden the world is their Oyster (card).

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Actually the fact I use from my phone - the transaction cannot be authorised unless I have my finger print, also any transactions are shown on my phone

By *am-RaiderMan
over a year ago

Corby

"Actually the fact I use from my phone - the transaction cannot be authorised unless I have my finger print, also any transactions are shown on my phone"

All decoration on your app...if your details were accessed it goes with out saying that their clone wouldn't need your paw print.

over a year ago

"I've had my new debit card sent and it's one of the new contactless cards ... It wasn't so long ago the security of chip and pin was the way forward

Contactless cards

Step forward or step backwards "

Having spent the majority of the evening looking for my contactless card thinking my bank was going to be emptied, Id say there needs to be a little more security.. I was happy with chip and pin we should at least have the choice to go contactless or not

over a year ago

I only ever remember I have it when I'm half way through entering my pin

When I do remember, I like it.

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

Safe sex costs you.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

You still have to make contact (or as close to). I call them Tap'n'Go.

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

"If a machine can scan it then fraudsters will build one with a greater range. It's only a matter of time. I vote step backwards.

But lets go with someone getting a bigger and more powerful scanner....to run a scanner like that would take a lot of juice, so now we are talking about getting a generator involved to suppy the power for it.....so now we are looking for a large white van, with a generator following one person as they shop....or we could just stick to skimming chip and pin which is highly rife still and ten times easier to pull off

The fact is that NFC is built into phones and although works over short distances so would have to almost contact your card or phone through a pocket surely it would not be too hard to the really tech savvy to emulate a shop payment doofer to harvest your details and produce an electronic clone of your card on a smart phone.

And the supersmarts only needs to be worked out once. One criminal geek working out an app to do the job and all of a sudden the world is their Oyster (card).

"

Or you could just mug someone at the cashpoint? Quicker, easier and someone who is even slightly switched on could pull it off without getting recognised?

Ultimately nothing will ever be 100 percent safe....tech will always be cracked at some point.

The thing to remember is todays bank safety protocols are done by ex cons who have defrauded banks and companies with the most famous being frank abergnavy....a man who stole millions from companies in his life as a con man.

Banks employ hackers to breach their systems on purposes so they can fix flaws in the security network. Even websites like facebook employ hackers to work on its security.

Those who have found ways around the system normally get paid money to show how they did it and show how it can be stopped.

Contactless card tech is done on the same principles.....like chip and pin when it was bought out, the security features on a bank note...even to the security features on passports, driving licences.....they have all been generated by criminals who have been caught doing a crime on the previous and given chances to do good with what they know.

over a year ago

i worry if its taken from me - lots of 30 quids will be spent

By *axandbooCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Even with someone creating an emulator, as long as the card is used often in a cashpoint, the chip can get its security updates

(yep...when it says "contacting the bank" and takes a little longer than normal, its being updated)

So the emulator would only have access to a frequency and not the newer protocols put in place which if the bank are good and do updates across the board then a fraudulently made card would appear on the system (think what happens when trying to use somethung else without keeping it updated) the item stops working until it is.

COULD someone get around it? Someone probably will. Its called escalation, its what happens in life.

Is it more secure than chip and pin? Yes. Otherwise it wouldn't of been released as wide as it has been.

By *fcdTV/TS
over a year ago

Southend

Blimey, just got contactless? I've been using a wristband to pay for everything for about a year now. Great for down the pub etc, just stick your hand over the card reader and job's done.

By *iscean MaleMan
over a year ago

Darlaston

Open to abuse. Step backwards

Post new Message to Thread