Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

22 Press-Ups for 22 Days

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone else been doing this challenge to raise awareness for Combat Stress?

It's hard work (although I'm fit, I've never worked on toning my upper body and core) but I have to admit I'm feeling the benefit - I think I'll keep this going!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is that one press up a day for 22 days or 22 pressups a day for 22 days?

over a year ago

My pal just bought the insanity DVD thing....if she doesn't kill herself half way through I might give it a try....keep it up if you see the benefits x

over a year ago

"Is that one press up a day for 22 days or 22 pressups a day for 22 days?"

over a year ago

"Is that one press up a day for 22 days or 22 pressups a day for 22 days?

.... "

Welcome back

over a year ago

When I kept myself fit this would have been easy, now I think it would take 22 days to work up to one press up.

over a year ago

"Has anyone else been doing this challenge to raise awareness for Combat Stress?

It's hard work (although I'm fit, I've never worked on toning my upper body and core) but I have to admit I'm feeling the benefit - I think I'll keep this going!"

Can I ask how this raises awareness? Or is it another look at me social media thing?

over a year ago

"Has anyone else been doing this challenge to raise awareness for Combat Stress?

It's hard work (although I'm fit, I've never worked on toning my upper body and core) but I have to admit I'm feeling the benefit - I think I'll keep this going!

Can I ask how this raises awareness? Or is it another look at me social media thing? "

Those kind of things tend to be "donate money or do this task to raise awareness for the cause and tag another mate so they can either donate or do task". Most people do task to not donate

over a year ago

Can I ask how this raises awareness? Or is it another look at me social media thing?

Those kind of things tend to be "donate money or do this task to raise awareness for the cause and tag another mate so they can either donate or do task". Most people do task to not donate"

I'm pretty cynical, but I'm sure 99% of people are already aware of the mental scars war leaves on soldiers so volunteering at a veterans centre or something similar would be better than some video on fb or twitter of some push ups. You could even post a pic of you doing that.

over a year ago

Those kind of things tend to be "donate money or do this task to raise awareness for the cause and tag another mate so they can either donate or do task". Most people do task to not donate

I'm pretty cynical, but I'm sure 99% of people are already aware of the mental scars war leaves on soldiers so volunteering at a veterans centre or something similar would be better than some video on fb or twitter of some push ups. You could even post a pic of you doing that."

Agreed. It's all well and good to do something to raise awareness, but doing pushups for it, to me seems eh. I think a better way is to make people understand how the soldiers and other peoples with PTSD or whatever other conditions they have, feel. Like have a pop up center that is interactive and shows the inside of a soldiers mind (that soldier would get to design it). To me, that would have more of an inpact than someone doing 22 pressups

over a year ago

I'm pretty cynical, but I'm sure 99% of people are already aware of the mental scars war leaves on soldiers so volunteering at a veterans centre or something similar would be better than some video on fb or twitter of some push ups. You could even post a pic of you doing that.

Agreed. It's all well and good to do something to raise awareness, but doing pushups for it, to me seems eh. I think a better way is to make people understand how the soldiers and other peoples with PTSD or whatever other conditions they have, feel. Like have a pop up center that is interactive and shows the inside of a soldiers mind (that soldier would get to design it). To me, that would have more of an inpact than someone doing 22 pressups"

Thing is that wouldn't take just 2 mins a day and you get to show off how good a person you are....

Waiting to be scolded here but I hate these things I still have no idea what the ice bucket challenge raised awareness for but I'm guessing that was for something

By *eardedSilverFoxMan
over a year ago

Colchester

The challenge is 22 press-ups every day for 22 days. It is to raise awareness of veterans who are committing suicide at a rate of 22 per day on average as a result of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I did the challenge during the Summer and put a text link on my posts so that friends could donate money to Combat Stress. Combat Stress is the British charity who deal with veterans mental health.

I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD in June 2015 and also spent 6 weeks with them at Combat Stress.

When I did the challenge I tried to make my post informative so that people could recognise and be more aware of signs and symptoms. If even one veteran decides actually I'm not alone and seeks help which prevents another suicide then in my opinion it's worth it.

over a year ago

"The challenge is 22 press-ups every day for 22 days. It is to raise awareness of veterans who are committing suicide at a rate of 22 per day on average as a result of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I did the challenge during the Summer and put a text link on my posts so that friends could donate money to Combat Stress. Combat Stress is the British charity who deal with veterans mental health.

I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD in June 2015 and also spent 6 weeks with them at Combat Stress.

When I did the challenge I tried to make my post informative so that people could recognise and be more aware of signs and symptoms. If even one veteran decides actually I'm not alone and seeks help which prevents another suicide then in my opinion it's worth it.

"

When it's stories like that, I can get behind it. But sadly, the majority of people won't link it, and are only doing it to look good and then will get out of hand and people will forget what it was intended for and just call it the press up challange

over a year ago

Agreed. It's all well and good to do something to raise awareness, but doing pushups for it, to me seems eh. I think a better way is to make people understand how the soldiers and other peoples with PTSD or whatever other conditions they have, feel. Like have a pop up center that is interactive and shows the inside of a soldiers mind (that soldier would get to design it). To me, that would have more of an inpact than someone doing 22 pressups

Thing is that wouldn't take just 2 mins a day and you get to show off how good a person you are....

Waiting to be scolded here but I hate these things I still have no idea what the ice bucket challenge raised awareness for but I'm guessing that was for something "

Yes I did it. I challenged myself as usual doing progressively harder push ups each day culminating in weighted dips at the end. Again my way of accepting the challenge as 22 didn't challenge me. Not boasting just doing my bit. People can choose how they wish to raise awareness. This is one, others may choose another way.

I have heard all the rumours. The number 22 doesn't exist. It was something derived by Facebook to boost advertising ratings. Ultimately. Raising awareness to any cause should be duly noted and not spurned.

Mr L.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Yes, not bothered whether the 22 is a relevant number or not (I'm assured it comes from USA) but a good cause and enjoying the challenge. Looking forward to a stronger upper body too, not that it was a problem beforehand

over a year ago

My concerns would be those at a lower end of fitness and experience, 22 push ups for 22 days could cause the less advanced person injury, it's a good idea raising awareness but is it worth an injury ?

Post new Message to Thread