Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Don’t over analyse

Jump to newest

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

My original thread was going to be a bit different...

I was going to say that people are always over-analysing things / meets / etc after the fact

and you get warned repeatedly – don’t worry – don’t think about it

but I was thinking – you can actually analyse something down to its bare bones and make it so much simpler

put in the variables and parameters – and break it down to its most simplistic form.

Why didn’t that woman smile when she looked at me?

Basic answer – she thinks you are ugly

analysed answer …

The light was in her eyes

she never saw you

she has a boyfriend

there was a small stone in her shoe

ie – there are so many possibilities – jumping to the most obvious is simply a mirror to your own personality.

And the next step?

Ask other people for their opinion.

Thing is – if you spend too much time running these ideas thru your head – you can actually do damage in the meantime

This isnt a YES NO thread – more of an opinion group

Have fun

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

As an under analyser I find that not analysing every detail of an encounter is way simpler. If someone doesn't smile at me I accept it and move on, maybe I'm a bit odd

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I do agree though that our reactions to other people mirror how we feel about ourselves and I'm lucky or daft enough depending on how you look at it to feel ok about myself.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"As an under analyser I find that not analysing every detail of an encounter is way simpler. If someone doesn't smile at me I accept it and move on, maybe I'm a bit odd "

Odd? Nah, yer allright.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"As an under analyser I find that not analysing every detail of an encounter is way simpler. If someone doesn't smile at me I accept it and move on, maybe I'm a bit odd

Odd? Nah, yer allright. "

over a year ago

"As an under analyser I find that not analysing every detail of an encounter is way simpler. If someone doesn't smile at me I accept it and move on, maybe I'm a bit odd

Odd? Nah, yer allright.

"

You need to work on tying up your scarf though.

By *ason_silver OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"As an under analyser I find that not analysing every detail of an encounter is way simpler. If someone doesn't smile at me I accept it and move on, maybe I'm a bit odd "

Nothing odd - consider yourself lucky - It means you live more open and free - a gift many of us envy and admire

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont think much. The day i stopped over thinking was one of the best days. I thought a lot about trees today though

over a year ago

is it overthinking? Or is it that some people are just more observant and contemplative?

The decider is wether or not it's healthy or dysfunctional. That a different question in every case.

Think I overthought this though

over a year ago

In the example given, all possible answers are equally true and untrue, so analysing it without asking is pretty pointless.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I dont think much. The day i stopped over thinking was one of the best days. I thought a lot about trees today though"

So you have branched out in your thought process then

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

why do you have to smile when you look at someone the only time i may smile is when im in bed with them or after when they are leaving. Not everyone makes me smile though.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"is it overthinking? Or is it that some people are just more observant and contemplative?

The decider is wether or not it's healthy or dysfunctional. That a different question in every case.

Think I overthought this though "

There is a difference between being observant, reading people and situations, and over analyzing and overthinking.

I was trained to be ( and and am naturally) highly observant; but once I have seen what I need to see, understood what I need to understand, I move on, or react as I see fit.

I don't have the time or interest to waste my time analyzing things that have been done and dusted.

over a year ago

Nothing odd - consider yourself lucky - It means you live more open and free - a gift many of us envy and admire

"

over a year ago

"why do you have to smile when you look at someone the only time i may smile is when im in bed with them or after when they are leaving. Not everyone makes me smile though."

'Why did she smile when I left? Was it because she liked me, or was she just pleased I was finally going? I just don't know!'

Haha

By *etter the devil you knowWoman
over a year ago

Lyndhurst

"why do you have to smile when you look at someone the only time i may smile is when im in bed with them or after when they are leaving. Not everyone makes me smile though.

'Why did she smile when I left? Was it because she liked me, or was she just pleased I was finally going? I just don't know!'

Haha"

I smile because they made me happy and im glad they are going as well.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I dont think much. The day i stopped over thinking was one of the best days. I thought a lot about trees today though"

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"is it overthinking? Or is it that some people are just more observant and contemplative?

Think I overthought this though "

It becomes over thinking when every aspect of life is observed and contemplated upon, the key to peace of mind is knowing what needs deeper contemplation and I find that most every day interactions don't.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Odd? Nah, yer allright.

You need to work on tying up your scarf though. "

You're right I do and its a pashmina, I thought we'd established that

over a year ago

I overanalyse everything. It's just an aspect of my personality and not something I can change. It's easy to say "just stop overanalysing", it's not easy to do.

But as I've got older the things I've overanalysed have changed so some of the things I used to worry about endlessly now brush over me.

Post new Message to Thread