Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

So...

Jump to newest

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

My mum had a fall in the house last night...

Would it be ok to wrap her in a load of bubble wrap to keep her from hurting herself..

Alternate suggestions if youve got any ..

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"My mum had a fall in the house last night...

Would it be ok to wrap her in a load of bubble wrap to keep her from hurting herself..

Alternate suggestions if youve got any .."

It's scary, they break so easily at that age, both mine had serious fractures in falls

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

My dad's blood pressure keeps crashing and he is very unsteady on his legs so he face plants the pavement continuously... All efforts to help are waved away (ex military who still thinks he's got it ) so I have to leave him to his continuous hospital visits

By *iamondjoeMan
over a year ago

Glastonbury

Adapt the house.

Why is she likely to fall? Where is she likely to slip? What activities/actions is she likely to be carrying out...?

Risk assess your house.

Everyone will be happier.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"My mum had a fall in the house last night...

Alternate suggestions if youve got any .."

Get on here and find her a nice catch

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Adapt the house.

Why is she likely to fall? Where is she likely to slip? What activities/actions is she likely to be carrying out...?

Risk assess your house.

Everyone will be happier. "

this..

if its a stairs issue, a bungalow may be the answer of course depending on whether that viable and if she would want to move..

there's a lot of fairly easy adaptions that can be made to assist the elderly within their homes..

good luck OP..

over a year ago

"Adapt the house.

Risk assess your house.

This!

After my mom had her leg amputated she had a fall in her home when switching between wheelchairs. She was back in the hospital for ages because he ended up breaking her good leg. The nurses performed a full risk assessment of her home and made notes about which activities she is weak and and would likely result in another fall. We altered things and she hasn't fallen since.

I hope she is OK.

over a year ago

"Adapt the house.

Risk assess your house.

this..

if its a stairs issue, a bungalow may be the answer of course depending on whether that viable and if she would want to move..

there's a lot of fairly easy adaptions that can be made to assist the elderly within their homes..

good luck OP.."

grip rails arent too much of an invasion to a house - and save alot of falls

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Adapt the house.

Risk assess your house.

Your local council will have a department to help you do this, and will often carry out the work for her for free.

Give them a ring.

Mr ddc

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Adapt the house.

Risk assess your house.

this..

good luck OP..

grip rails arent too much of an invasion to a house - and save alot of falls"

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"Adapt the house.

Risk assess your house.

this..

good luck OP..

grip rails arent too much of an invasion to a house - and save alot of falls"

Have done all of this... Mum lives downstairs now, it's been on going for ages.. hand rails everywhere ..she's stubborn won't use the wheeled Zimmer frame and whoops. Luckily this time only a bruised ego.

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

I wish i could wrap my mum up in bubble wrap too

She has MS and has been getting progressively more disabled for years.

I moved in with her nearly 3 years ago to try and make sure she is safe, but she still has falls. On the plus side i am there to pick her up if needed instead of her being stuck on the floor for hours. It would help if she started using the walking frame she has been given for in the house but she won't.

Post new Message to Thread