Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Your thoughts on this quote...

Jump to newest

By *ogerNesszones OP   Man
over a year ago

Northern England

To be completely woman you need a master, and in him a compass for your life. You need a man you can look up to and respect. If you dethrone him it's no wonder that you are discontented, and discontented women are not loved for long.

It's from Marlene Dietrich; And speaking personally, I think she nailed it - then of course I would think that; However, I'm sure you all have your own opinions. Lets hear them...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Bollocks. You can be completely woman, completely alone.

over a year ago

And women don't 'need' a bloke. They desire one. Therein lies the difference.

over a year ago

What about the lesbians then?

over a year ago

I have some fantabulous girl chums who, in our collectively dysfunctional little family, prop one another up, blip each other about the head when called for and generally get on just about fine.

over a year ago

Op, I think you might be describing a dog who needs an owner to adore and look up to....

over a year ago

I don't even know where to begin to disagree.

By *asokittyWoman
over a year ago

Nr Worksop

Absolute bollocks.

over a year ago

Northern England

"What about the lesbians then?"

Then simply substitute "master" with "mistress" and "man" with "woman".

over a year ago

I'd be interested why you agree with it. I think it's outdated bolocks

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I'm sure you all have your own opinions. Lets hear them..."

Really?

I can be brutally honest.

"I think your sexist _iews are suffering from confirmation bias."

Mr ddc

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Maybe more people felt like that in the 50's but not today, myself and pretty much all of my girlie friends included

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Given that Marlene Dietrich was bisexual, and had endless numbers of female and male lovers, it's a load of bollocks, and just one of the " sound bites" she was famous for pushing out.

And no; I would not be attracted to a woman that believed the sentiment expressed there.

I prefer independent , self sufficient and confident women.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"To be completely woman you need a master, and in him a compass for your life. You need a man you can look up to and respect. If you dethrone him it's no wonder that you are discontented, and discontented women are not loved for long.

It's from Marlene Dietrich; And speaking personally, I think she nailed it - then of course I would think that; However, I'm sure you all have your own opinions. Lets hear them..."

I agree in part - men need to be respected by their women and women need a man they can respect.

By *orkie321bWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

OP the quote is from a bygone era, times have changed and most peoples opinions have too.

These days women are not expected to be barefoot and pregnant, we are actually independent and have our own lives.

We now have another female prime minister. Should she expect her husband to be her master and compass or should she get on with her job of running the country?

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

And, by the way, she was dominant, in reality, not subservient. And a manipulator.

over a year ago

"To be completely woman you need a master, and in him a compass for your life. You need a man you can look up to and respect. If you dethrone him it's no wonder that you are discontented, and discontented women are not loved for long.

It's from Marlene Dietrich; And speaking personally, I think she nailed it - then of course I would think that; However, I'm sure you all have your own opinions. Lets hear them..."

I have to be honest. I think it's utter crap!

A woman does not need a man!

A strong woman makes her own way and maybe listens to advice. But still makes up her own mind.

I prefer a strong independent woman, to one that says she needs a man.

Even in a relationship it should be a team. Not the man then the woman.

This is just my _iew.

Some men don't like strong independent women.

I think it's sexy and desirable.

over a year ago

It's from Marlene Dietrich; And speaking personally, I think she nailed it - then of course I would think that; However, I'm sure you all have your own opinions. Lets hear them...

I agree in part - men need to be respected by their women and women need a man they can respect. "

And women need to be respected by their men and a man needs a woman he can respect?

over a year ago

Northern England

"Op, I think you might be describing a dog who needs an owner to adore and look up to...."

Easy guys. They're not my words. They're Marlene Deitrich's. The post was prompted by a friend of mine who's wife has totally disrespected him for years. He loathes her, yet they stay together - ostensibly for the "sake of their young children".

over a year ago

"And, by the way, she was dominant, in reality, not subservient. And a manipulator."

And a boxer, in a time when female boxers were unheard of.

over a year ago

Northern England

I agree in part - men need to be respected by their women and women need a man they can respect.

And women need to be respected by their men and a man needs a woman he can respect?"

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

I agree in part - men need to be respected by their women and women need a man they can respect. "

True; and a bit of " healthy competition"

over a year ago

"Op, I think you might be describing a dog who needs an owner to adore and look up to....

Easy guys. They're not my words. They're Marlene Deitrich's. The post was prompted by a friend of mine who's wife has totally disrespected him for years. He loathes her, yet they stay together - ostensibly for the "sake of their young children"."

You said you agree.

over a year ago

"Op, I think you might be describing a dog who needs an owner to adore and look up to....

Easy guys. They're not my words. They're Marlene Deitrich's. The post was prompted by a friend of mine who's wife has totally disrespected him for years. He loathes her, yet they stay together - ostensibly for the "sake of their young children"."

But you did say you thought she had nailed it. I think its a load of shite personally

over a year ago

Northern England

"And, by the way, she was dominant, in reality, not subservient. And a manipulator.

And a boxer, in a time when female boxers were unheard of."

Yep, she was quite a remarkable woman.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

And women need to be respected by their men and a man needs a woman he can respect?"

Absolutely, we all need all good things. But I actually think men need and desire respect more, and women need and desire love more - our psyche's are different and the balance of our needs reflect that.

There will be exceptions of course...

over a year ago

She was talking utter shite. ..just my opinion and worth no more or less than hers.

over a year ago

And women need to be respected by their men and a man needs a woman he can respect?

Absolutely, we all need all good things. But I actually think men need and desire respect more, and women need and desire love more - our psyche's are different and the balance of our needs reflect that.

There will be exceptions of course... "

Personally I believe social conditioning to be responsible for those stereotypes.

over a year ago

"Absolute bollocks. "

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

[Removed by poster at 15/09/16 17:16:58]

over a year ago

Absolute poppycock!

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Personally I believe social conditioning to be responsible for those stereotypes."

We will have to agree to disagree then - I don't believe there is anything stereotypical or learned about the symbiosis of love and respect I have in mind, it balances perfectly like yin and yang.

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

totally... however, how you dance the art of gender is unique to the relationship

over a year ago

Theyat not be your words but you endorsed them in your opening post

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

Easy guys. They're not my words. They're Marlene Deitrich's. The post was prompted by a friend of mine who's wife has totally disrespected him for years. He loathes her, yet they stay together - ostensibly for the "sake of their young children".

Theyat not be your words but you endorsed them in your opening post"

i endorse them too, hes not the only one

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Fortunately the civilised world has moved on from that historic thinking..

There are those that obviously think differently, I did in fact stumble across some literature from just such a group called 'That Was Actually Terribly Sensible' or twats for short.

The twats believe that society should not have moved on from that of the 1800's and that women should be at home raising a family and cooking for the man in her life.

If you do encounter twats, it is best to just ignore them...

By *uzy444Woman
over a year ago

"Fortunately the civilised world has moved on from that historic thinking..

There are those that obviously think differently, I did in fact stumble across some literature from just such a group called 'That Was Actually Terribly Sensible' or twats for short.

The twats believe that society should not have moved on from that of the 1800's and that women should be at home raising a family and cooking for the man in her life.

If you do encounter twats, it is best to just ignore them... "

its not about the 50's lifestyle its a way of understanding your natural strengths..its not about what you do, its about the way you are

over a year ago

I do believe that everyone needs someone to be their "compass" but that could literally be anyone- spouse, lover, best friend, mentor , Master or Mistress.

over a year ago

Personally I believe social conditioning to be responsible for those stereotypes.

We will have to agree to disagree then - I don't believe there is anything stereotypical or learned about the symbiosis of love and respect I have in mind, it balances perfectly like yin and yang."

I don't think that gender binarism is a valid notion, and as unique individuals with our own set of life experiences, I'm sure that that there are many other factors that determine what each of us needs in a relationship.

over a year ago

Theyat not be your words but you endorsed them in your opening posti endorse them too, hes not the only one "

I just find it odd that havibg said "I think she nailed it, but then I would" the OP appears to be distancing himself from it with this post

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I think some do need one.

By *am-RaiderMan
over a year ago

Corby

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

We will have to agree to disagree then - I don't believe there is anything stereotypical or learned about the symbiosis of love and respect I have in mind, it balances perfectly like yin and yang.

I don't think that gender binarism is a valid notion, and as unique individuals with our own set of life experiences, I'm sure that that there are many other factors that determine what each of us needs in a relationship. "

Of course, and what I have in mind is not gender binarism either, as per the definition I have just goggled. In purely design terms the yin yang symbol is superb illustration of a concept - it is perfectly balanced, perfectly dove-tailed, and each colour contains the other at it's core as well. It would symbolise my concept even better if, through the tails, they actually blended into each other through grey, totally merging.

I don't see them as binary or opposite, but complementary, interconnected, interdependent, symbiotic. I don't see one as superior to the other at all, or even dominant - just innately different, and with differing needs. Which of course will vary with the individual no doubt....but I am talking 'mean' I guess.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Could it be possible that he doesn't deserve her respect?

I don't agree with the quote.

over a year ago

Yep , we agree with this quote .

Totally nailed it .

Call us out dated , old fashioned or whatever you like , but our love for each is greater than we ever thought possible .

And the above dynamic is what works so well .

over a year ago

Northern England

I don't agree with the quote."

I've known him for 15 years and he's an honest hard working bloke. She may well be a "looker" but she's a cold and callous individual who hasn't got a good word to say for anyone - least of all her husband / father to their children.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I don't agree with the quote."

Hence my original point - women need men they can respect as much as men need to be respected.

over a year ago

Ahhhh I'm destined not to be loved.... oh well... be than having a bloke stuck up on a pedestal... how exhausting

over a year ago

I disagree with the quote.

I am happy on my own and have no intentions of being owned or whatever by any male.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hence my original point - women need men they can respect as much as men need to be respected."

The bit that's missing in my opinion is that men need a woman they can respect as much as women need to be respected.

My opinion also is that partnerships where this mutual respect doesn't exist are not happy for both partners. The dynamic of that respect might be played out differently in each relationship but it needs to be there.

over a year ago

Got to say we think it is crap as well.

over a year ago

I don't think that gender binarism is a valid notion, and as unique individuals with our own set of life experiences, I'm sure that that there are many other factors that determine what each of us needs in a relationship.

Of course, and what I have in mind is not gender binarism either, as per the definition I have just goggled. In purely design terms the yin yang symbol is superb illustration of a concept - it is perfectly balanced, perfectly dove-tailed, and each colour contains the other at it's core as well. It would symbolise my concept even better if, through the tails, they actually blended into each other through grey, totally merging.

I don't see them as binary or opposite, but complementary, interconnected, interdependent, symbiotic. I don't see one as superior to the other at all, or even dominant - just innately different, and with differing needs. Which of course will vary with the individual no doubt....but I am talking 'mean' I guess. "

Ah ok. I guess we have similar ideas then. I absolutely believe in complimenting each other with our different strengths and supporting each other's needs. But I'm not convinced that many women require a 'master' as the quote states. Of course some may.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Hence my original point - women need men they can respect as much as men need to be respected."

Correct; and women respecting a man, doesn't mean bring subservient to him

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/09/16 18:35:41]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hence my original point - women need men they can respect as much as men need to be respected.

Correct; and women respecting a man, doesn't mean bring subservient to him"

I think the first part of the quote that women need a master suggests subservience.

over a year ago

Everyone should be respected and earn that respect.

A man should not be held in high regard just because he is a man. For some women it will make them feel fulfilled,to worship and obey their man. If the man doesn't deserve her obedience and worship she could resent him and leave.

For me, a relationship should be equally balanced in all aspects,although I am naturally submissive. For my relationship to work he would not take advantage of my submissive and passive nature.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

Snipped for brevity......

Ah ok. I guess we have similar ideas then. I absolutely believe in complimenting each other with our different strengths and supporting each other's needs. But I'm not convinced that many women require a 'master' as the quote states......"

No, and that's why I said I agreed in part. But it sounds to me like the quote was issued as something of an challenge to women who emasculate their men, to make a point - and with that sentiment I agree. I hear women demeaning their husbands and in doing so they destroy the very thing that they desire, they are foolish.

Subservience is never good in my book, not required. But I have no ego problem with the concept of lead and follow - I am a dancer, and when you have two people dancing in total harmony one is still leading and the other following, though they feed off each others energy, inspire each other, contribute equally, and BOTH follow the same music hopefully. I reckon I make a far better follow than most men would make, and I get to just 'feel' and enjoy the dance without having to decide what to do next all the time which I would find really tedious! But, I seek out all the best most reciprocal leads - no way I will tolerate having my arms jerked about, or choose to dance with someone who doesn't get in tune with me too......I demand a lot.

I have no doubt from your posts that you love and cherish Nell, and I have no doubt within that will be all the respect she needs, it would go without saying.

If a man puts my needs first, why would I not let him get on and sail the ship if it makes him feel good and leaves me to do the stuff that I prefer?

I think people have some very conditioned responses to these concepts.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I assumed I was talking to Who but who knows!!? I don't think it matters.....

over a year ago

"I assumed I was talking to Who but who knows!!? I don't think it matters....."

It's Nell

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I assumed I was talking to Who but who knows!!? I don't think it matters.....

It's Nell "

Hahaha, ooops!! Well, I have seen him express his love for you so that's what I commented on. I'm guessing you respect him anyway lol!

By *uddlybear2015Man
over a year ago

BEDFORD

"And, by the way, she was dominant, in reality, not subservient. And a manipulator.

And a boxer, in a time when female boxers were unheard of."

That must of been a rather one sided fight

over a year ago

"I assumed I was talking to Who but who knows!!? I don't think it matters.....

It's Nell

Hahaha, ooops!! Well, I have seen him express his love for you so that's what I commented on. I'm guessing you respect him anyway lol! "

Of course! We love and respect each other equally.

over a year ago

That must of been a rather one sided fight "

She boxed men

over a year ago

"And women don't 'need' a bloke. They desire one. Therein lies the difference. "

Not all women, his quote clearly neglects those of a homosexual persuasion, but your argument still stands, nobody needs anybody, although you could argue we do need people in a social sense as to be completely isolated is not good for the human psyche

over a year ago

"And women don't 'need' a bloke. They desire one. Therein lies the difference.

Not all women, his quote clearly neglects those of a homosexual persuasion, but your argument still stands, nobody needs anybody, although you could argue we do need people in a social sense as to be completely isolated is not good for the human psyche "

Some people can't function without someone else telling them what to do.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Not all women, his quote clearly neglects those of a homosexual persuasion, but your argument still stands, nobody needs anybody, although you could argue we do need people in a social sense as to be completely isolated is not good for the human psyche

Some people can't function without someone else telling them what to do."

over a year ago

The bit that's missing in my opinion is that men need a woman they can respect as much as women need to be respected.

My opinion also is that partnerships where this mutual respect doesn't exist are not happy for both partners. The dynamic of that respect might be played out differently in each relationship but it needs to be there."

over a year ago

We have evolved from that kind of thinking... Welcome to the 21 Century OP

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Some people can't function without someone else telling them what to do."

Over half the population at a rough guess...

over a year ago

utter rot

over a year ago

So my wife respects me , and I have the utmost respect for her .

She would do anything for me , and I for her .

But the thing is that she does it because she loves to do for me anything I desire , and that gives her the ultimate pleasure . She can only do this as she sees me as masterful . If she didn't see me in this light she wouldn't have that desire to do these things for me .

We have no interest in bdsm or any of the master / sub dynamic . The quote is right for us anyway

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

My opinion also is that partnerships where this mutual respect doesn't exist are not happy for both partners. The dynamic of that respect might be played out differently in each relationship but it needs to be there."

Sorry I missed this - I agree totally, and yet I see that respect as being slightly different in each gender, meaning a different thing to the recipient, being required in a slightly different way, for differing reasons. I'll see if I can find some references and maybe start a thread lol!

over a year ago

"We have evolved from that kind of thinking... Welcome to the 21 Century OP "

I don't think everybody has evolved from that kind of thinking, or sexism, racism, hell any ism wouldn't exist in society.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Just because it came from a woman doesn't mean it isn't misogynistic nonsense.

Thanks for posting another thread that helps identify those that want to keep women subjugated to a man.

By *bsolute LibertinesCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I do love Marlene Dietrich, but the quote is the sort of balls people used to trot out in those days for a sort of pre twitter bit of self publicity...we are all different and we make our own choices and way in the world...we may get influenced in many ways, on the way though...but there's no true one correct answer

Hey ho though, see what the boys in the back room may have...

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Any guy that thinks like that isn't the guy for me

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Utter tosh

By *uddlybear2015Man
over a year ago

BEDFORD

That must of been a rather one sided fight

She boxed men "

Feisty lady

Post new Message to Thread