Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

vari focal glasses

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Ok, so I am now officially an old git and took receipt of my new glasses today and boy are they weird. Does anyone else wear them and how long do they take to get used to?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Ok, so I am now officially an old git and took receipt of my new glasses today and boy are they weird. Does anyone else wear them and how long do they take to get used to? "

Mine are varifocal. Got to admit it's never felt any different to me. Just the difference in price. That's annoying.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I do.

I have the ones with an invisible line (my God, they came at a price!) doesn't take long to get used to them. Second-nature now x

By *herbert fountainWoman
over a year ago

Hanley

Took about a week to get used to mine but wouldn't be without them now.

over a year ago

If feel like I've taken drugs and are on some sort of weird trip! Might be something to do with the cost, I nearly fainted when the charged me

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

Quick tips I give to my patients when I dispense varifocals........

Use your nose as a pointer, point it to what you want to look at.

You'll feel like a nodding dog to start with while trying to find which part of the lens to use, it gets better with practice........while watching to have a book/magazine on your lap. During the ads practice between the two.

Most importantly give it time........in the opticians we advise that it can take two weeks to adapt.

Most issues people have can be resolved by adjusting certain aspects of the fit of the glasses. However, a small percentage of people don't tolerate varifocals so the opticians will have a 'non tol' policy and guarantee, ours is 30 days and we will exchange the lenses for bifocals or single vision, or give a refund.

over a year ago

"Quick tips I give to my patients when I dispense varifocals........

You'll feel like a nodding dog to start with while trying to find which part of the lens to use, it gets better with practice........while watching to have a book/magazine on your lap. During the ads practice between the two.

Most importantly give it time........in the opticians we advise that it can take two weeks to adapt.

Most issues people have can be resolved by adjusting certain aspects of the fit of the glasses. However, a small percentage of people don't tolerate varifocals so the opticians will have a 'non tol' policy and guarantee, ours is 30 days and we will exchange the lenses for bifocals or single vision, or give a refund."

Thanks, I normally wear contacts but will wear the glasses for the next few days. Feeling a bit nauseous at the moment!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've worn them for about 6 months. Love them because was really struggling with my close vision. They make everything so much sharper.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Ma dad used to wear bi focals and I used to take the piss out of him sometimes by smearing a little bit of Vaseline on just one bit of the lower part of his left lens

*disclaimer. He never took the piss out of me as a child

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Ma dad used to wear bi focals and I used to take the piss out of him sometimes by smearing a little bit of Vaseline on just one bit of the lower part of his left lens

*disclaimer. He never took the piss out of me as a child "

Sorry, that last one should have read as a

We enjoyed playing tricks on each other

over a year ago

I have worn them for years now and never even think about it. I got used to them within a week.

over a year ago

"Ma dad used to wear bi focals and I used to take the piss out of him sometimes by smearing a little bit of Vaseline on just one bit of the lower part of his left lens

We enjoyed playing tricks on each other "

You are an evil man!

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

It just takes a little time to get used to making sure you are looking thorough the right zone

Mine are 3-zoned for long distance, medium, and short distance reading .

You do feel a bit like a chicken at first as you bob your head around, to focus on the right bit.

And remembering, when looking down at stairs, etc, that you bend your head down, rather than looking directly through the lower bit, which distorts your view.

Believe me, once you are used to them, they are brilliant; I now forget they are there . But every time I get a new prescription, it takes a few days to re-adjust.

Do make sure the optician has adjusted them correctly to put the zones in the right levels for your eyes.

And for future prescriptions, it's worth paying to get the best fields of view.

over a year ago

"It just takes a little time to get used to making sure you are looking thorough the right zone

You do feel a bit like a chicken at first as you bob your head around, to focus on the right bit.

And remembering, when looking down at stairs, etc, that you bend your head down, rather than looking directly through the lower bit, which distorts your view.

Believe me, once you are used to them, they are brilliant; I now forget they are there . But every time I get a new prescription, it takes a few days to re-adjust.

Do make sure the optician has adjusted them correctly to put the zones in the right levels for your eyes.

And for future prescriptions, it's worth paying to get the best fields of view. "

Thanks, I am bobbing away trying to get focused, slowly getting there, maybe having wine at the same time wasn't the smartest move!!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"Ok, so I am now officially an old git and took receipt of my new glasses today and boy are they weird. Does anyone else wear them and how long do they take to get used to? "

I've worn them for years and I hate hate hate them but a complicated prescription means I have no choice.

over a year ago

Welcome to the old git brigade. I've been wearing varifocals for about 5 years now and wouldn't be without them. As others say can take a little getting used to but not more than an hour 2 for me. Did have a pair that were not fitting correctly so had to go back and have the frames adjusted as the transition point was sitting to high. If they still feel odd the next day pop back and get them to check it out.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

We enjoyed playing tricks on each other

You are an evil man! "

Well he started it! What you deal is what you deserve was our moto.

over a year ago

"Ok, so I am now officially an old git and took receipt of my new glasses today and boy are they weird. Does anyone else wear them and how long do they take to get used to?

I've worn them for years and I hate hate hate them but a complicated prescription means I have no choice. "

Oh don't say that, I'm sat here wondering what the hell is going on and when things are going to appear normal

over a year ago

Bedworth

"Ok, so I am now officially an old git and took receipt of my new glasses today and boy are they weird. Does anyone else wear them and how long do they take to get used to?

I've worn them for years and I hate hate hate them but a complicated prescription means I have no choice. "

Excuse me being nosy, what's your prescription?

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

Point your nose is good advice. As my Mother said at least when you are in conversation you look people directly in the eye.

over a year ago

Most issues people have can be resolved by adjusting certain aspects of the fit of the glasses. However, a small percentage of people don't tolerate varifocals so the opticians will have a 'non tol' policy and guarantee, ours is 30 days and we will exchange the lenses for bifocals or single vision, or give a refund."

What is the difference between bi and varifocals? What is average price increase from single to bi/vari?

over a year ago

Most issues people have can be resolved by adjusting certain aspects of the fit of the glasses. However, a small percentage of people don't tolerate varifocals so the opticians will have a 'non tol' policy and guarantee, ours is 30 days and we will exchange the lenses for bifocals or single vision, or give a refund.

What is the difference between bi and varifocals? What is average price increase from single to bi/vari? "

Bi focals usually have the line. Various focal are gradual.

I got mine from Asda. No difference from single vision lens on price and I was pleasently surprised how cheap they were (and no I don't work there lol)

over a year ago

What is the difference between bi and varifocals? What is average price increase from single to bi/vari?

I got mine from Asda. No difference from single vision lens on price and I was pleasently surprised how cheap they were (and no I don't work there lol) "

Mine have no lines and cost a small fortune so they'd better work

over a year ago

I have glasses meant to wear them when my eyes are tired but never do

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I've worn them for years and I hate hate hate them but a complicated prescription means I have no choice.

Excuse me being nosy, what's your prescription? "

Prisms (surgery on a congenital squint in my 40's) distance and reading needed, big difference in the sight of each eye and the fuckers can't get the placement of the reading bit right. I have to sacrifice loads of distance to enable me to read without looking down my nose and, despite describing exactly how I see (I'm positive it affects the results of how my eyes are tested) nobody is interested.

Add to that every single pair of glasses I've ever had are brushed by my eyelashes and you'll understand how frustrated I am at the lack of clarity.

I wore two pairs of glasses for years.

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

I'm on my second pair of varifocals but wouldn't have anything else now. Like others have said it takes a while to get used to them and my first pair I went back to the opticians and had a 'lesson' on how to best use them and I always pay for the best I can as the better lenses are far easier to use.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

I got mine from Asda. No difference from single vision lens on price and I was pleasently surprised how cheap they were (and no I don't work there lol)

Mine have no lines and cost a small fortune so they'd better work "

The cost depends on quality. Also on the requirements of your correction.

High quality lenses have better aspheric qualities; and larger fields of vision.

I have extreme longsightedness; and the difference between my distance lens, medium men's and reading lens is quite large . I ski, shoot, fly, drive, and ride motorcycles, and want the highest quality to ensure that there is no " edge drop off" on the lenses, and the minimum of curvature distortions ( the effect where straight lines appear slightly curved through the lenses, especially at the edges.)

I want the fields of view ,for instance, so that I can easily look into the distance, but also read instruments with minimum head movement.

The more accuracy and larger fields that you need, the more it costs.

Plus all the usual stuff like anti scratch, anti glare coatings etc etc.

over a year ago

Ok, 3 hours in and I feel like I'm on acid still and have my head bobbing around like a demented chicken, but I'm feeling progress albeit small. Amazing technology though.

over a year ago

I have them and they are brilliant takes a litre while to truly get used to them.

It was spooky walking in the woods for the first time.

Now I couldn't be with out them

Good luck bud

over a year ago

Hi, was told when I got them it'll take time to adjust to them, put them on and took to them as soon as. Jim

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

I'm interested that you've gone from contact lenses to varifocal glasses. I'm trying the reverse, from varifocal glasses to varifocal contact lenses, do why didn't you?

Varifocal glasses are good after your eyes get used to 'finding' focus. Stairs were tricky the first few times but second nature quite quickly.

Don't give up and good luck.

Mrs DDC

By *corpio67Man
over a year ago

hillingdon

Been wearing them for years now

Only took a couple of hours to get used to them one I realised you move your head and not your eyes ??!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've got two pairs. Occupational varifocals and ordinary varifocals, it took me a month of swearing, cursing and vowing to throw them out of the window to get used to them and then one day it just clicked. I like them but they're rubbish for reading and I have to wear reading glasses if I want to read for any length of time.

over a year ago

"It just takes a little time to get used to making sure you are looking thorough the right zone

And for future prescriptions, it's worth paying to get the best fields of view.

Thanks, I am bobbing away trying to get focused, slowly getting there, maybe having wine at the same time wasn't the smartest move!! "

They didn't work for me, handed them back!

By *erbyDalesCplCouple
over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I've got two pairs. Occupational varifocals and ordinary varifocals, it took me a month of swearing, cursing and vowing to throw them out of the window to get used to them and then one day it just clicked. I like them but they're rubbish for reading and I have to wear reading glasses if I want to read for any length of time."

I do the same for reading.

Mrs DDC

over a year ago

Iv got them i love them now,they are framless which cost more than glasses with frames...figure that one out?

over a year ago

"Iv got them i love them now,they are framless which cost more than glasses with frames...figure that one out?"

Less is more!!

over a year ago

I've worn varifocals for a while and apart from the first half hour or so I got used to them almost straight away

By *ohnaronMan
over a year ago

london

"If feel like I've taken drugs and are on some sort of weird trip! Might be something to do with the cost, I nearly fainted when the charged me "

I heard the SpecSavers charged about one third of other opticians for an Identical product (rediculous designer frames excepted).

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Got them, hated them, lost them!! First pair were left on a nudist beach within a couple of weeks, no idea where the second pair went. I hated them for driving as I found the peripheral vision was so poor it disorientated me.

over a year ago

How are people findinG varifocals contact lenses? That's where I struggle if I put my normal distance lenses in I can't see my phone.

By *aymagnumMan
over a year ago

Bolton

My first pair were narrow and took a while to get used to.

Now I have big frames which is much more easy to use and less nodding.

To save money take the prescription from your optician and use one of the online glasses companies.

You will save a fortune.

over a year ago

Bedworth

"Iv got them i love them now,they are framless which cost more than glasses with frames...figure that one out?"

The main reason a rimless cost more is down to the lens material and manufacturing process. A standard lens is made of cr39 plastic which is too brittle to use for rimless, it would shatter as they tried to drill the holes to attach the bridge and arms. Instead they have to use a higher index lens, the cheapest of which is polycarbonate. Most manufacturers choose not to use polycarbonate as its has a very low V value which means that the incidences of people experiencing chromatic abberation are higher(distracting colour fringes). Instead they often use a 1.6 index or higher lens which costs more

over a year ago

Bedworth

"My first pair were narrow and took a while to get used to.

To save money take the prescription from your optician and use one of the online glasses companies.

You will save a fortune. "

Yes but you will have no aftercare, no fitting, no qualified person taking your measurements (you have to do it yourself) and online manufacturers are not as closely regulated as your opticians

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"Got them, hated them, lost them!! First pair were left on a nudist beach within a couple of weeks, no idea where the second pair went. I hated them for driving as I found the peripheral vision was so poor it disorientated me."

That's why you have to specify and insist on the ones with the wide field of view,

A lot more expensive, but worth it. Loads of opticians will only do the ones with the proper zones in the centre of the lens; you need to make sure the zones extend horizontally right across the lenses.

And find a good optician who will measure them exactly to ensure that the lenses are adjusted exactly to correspond with the position of your pupils, and fit and adjust the frames properly with the lenses when they arrive from the manufacturer.

Too many just bung them on.

And getting them off the internet ( to answer another poster) means that despite your prescription, you won't get lenses centered on your pupils, and you don't get them fitted properly .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I've got two pairs. Occupational varifocals and ordinary varifocals, it took me a month of swearing, cursing and vowing to throw them out of the window to get used to them and then one day it just clicked. I like them but they're rubbish for reading and I have to wear reading glasses if I want to read for any length of time.

I do the same for reading.

Mrs DDC "

I feel we belong to an exclusive club

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

"If feel like I've taken drugs and are on some sort of weird trip! Might be something to do with the cost, I nearly fainted when the charged me

I heard the SpecSavers charged about one third of other opticians for an Identical product (rediculous designer frames excepted). "

There is a reason why spec savers, and the other similar big chains are cheap.

No; they are not identical .

The prescriptions may be, but the actual lenses are low quality glass, the lens shaping is not as sophisticated as the top quality lenses such as Zeiss, Nikon, etc .

If you care about your vision, they ( and the other cheap chains) are to be avoided.

By *aGaGagging for itCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Varifocal contact lenses here - great. No problem.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/09/16 07:19:31]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 15/09/16 07:19:31]"

Can't play tennis wearing them, so no good for me!

over a year ago

I went for the wide range lense, still feeling a bit odd this morning. Someone asked why I didn't go for varifocal contacts, I guess because I feel ok reading in them at th moment, it was the glasses where I was struggling. But no doubt I will have to review that shortly.

over a year ago

Bedworth

"If feel like I've taken drugs and are on some sort of weird trip! Might be something to do with the cost, I nearly fainted when the charged me

I heard the SpecSavers charged about one third of other opticians for an Identical product (rediculous designer frames excepted).

There is a reason why spec savers, and the other similar big chains are cheap.

No; they are not identical .

The prescriptions may be, but the actual lenses are low quality glass, the lens shaping is not as sophisticated as the top quality lenses such as Zeiss, Nikon, etc .

If you care about your vision, they ( and the other cheap chains) are to be avoided.

"

Yes there is a reason why they are cheap, it's all down to buying power and volume. They make a tiny profit on each pair but sell large volume, just like a supermarket does with groceries in comparison to a corner shop.

The training and qualifications of the optometrists and dispensing opticians is identical........ I should know, I'm doing the dispensing opticians degree myself and the ABDO course is attended by people who work for small independent opticians as well as the large chains.

When a customer comes into my branch of the chain which you seem to dislike so much I will happily sell them the lenses which are most appropriate for their needs and budget. Not only own branded lenses but also zeiss, essilor, Nikon, rodenstock etc. In fact, some of the own brand lenses that we sell are made by the well known manufacturers, but due to licensing reasons they are not called by their brand name.

over a year ago

"Iv got them i love them now,they are framless which cost more than glasses with frames...figure that one out?

The main reason a rimless cost more is down to the lens material and manufacturing process. A standard lens is made of cr39 plastic which is too brittle to use for rimless, it would shatter as they tried to drill the holes to attach the bridge and arms. Instead they have to use a higher index lens, the cheapest of which is polycarbonate. Most manufacturers choose not to use polycarbonate as its has a very low V value which means that the incidences of people experiencing chromatic abberation are higher(distracting colour fringes). Instead they often use a 1.6 index or higher lens which costs more"

Wow!! I think i just got my arse kicked there haha

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I have my ma mam's genes as far as eyes are concerned and don't think I'll ever need to wear glasses

By *GHertsCouple
over a year ago

North Herts

This is really interesting because I'm sure I need to get these and/or varifocal lenses.

Have been fine up to about 6 months ago but am now increasingly taking my glasses on and off depending on how far I need to see which is getting incredibly annoying and if I have lenses in I simply can't see anything close up at all.

I know everyone's different but roughly how much more are varifocals compared to an 'ordinary' pair of glasses ?

Ms G

By *onlyshowWoman
over a year ago

your dreams

Had mine for a year now and I still have to take them off to look my phone close up, Which is why I got them in the first place ,kind of defeated the object.

knowing what I know now I'll just get normal glasses next time, I don't feel I benefited from them at all..

I can't read in them either.

If they are adjusted correctly then they should be fine straightaway mine weren't and it took me a week of feeling headachy and sick before I figured it out..

Expensive waste of my money..

over a year ago

You will save a fortune. "

I have thought about doing that but when buying from a shop they do various measurements to line the lenses up correctly for your eyes so how would that work buying online ? Plus they generally also alter the arm of the glasses to fit them correctly so how would you do that ?

over a year ago

You will save a fortune.

Yes but you will have no aftercare, no fitting, no qualified person taking your measurements (you have to do it yourself) and online manufacturers are not as closely regulated as your opticians"

My questions are answered lol

over a year ago

Bedworth

"This is really interesting because I'm sure I need to get these and/or varifocal lenses.

Have been fine up to about 6 months ago but am now increasingly taking my glasses on and off depending on how far I need to see which is getting incredibly annoying and if I have lenses in I simply can't see anything close up at all.

I know everyone's different but roughly how much more are varifocals compared to an 'ordinary' pair of glasses ?

Ms G"

Depends a lot on where you go and the quality of the lenses.

The cheapest lenses are the older hard designs which give narrower field of view with more distortion in the periphery, there will often be deals on these and you can sometimes get them free.

The best own brand lenses are priced from about £150 depending on where you go.

A well known brand such as an essilor physio will set you back around £200 and a zeiss superb is a little higher. If you want a top of the range zeiss lens then £300.

If you go to a small independent who sells well known branded lenses then expect to pay at least a third more than for the same lens at a large chain.

By *GHertsCouple
over a year ago

North Herts

"This is really interesting because I'm sure I need to get these and/or varifocal lenses.

Ms G

Depends a lot on where you go and the quality of the lenses.

The cheapest lenses are the older hard designs which give narrower field of view with more distortion in the periphery, there will often be deals on these and you can sometimes get them free.

The best own brand lenses are priced from about £150 depending on where you go.

A well known brand such as an essilor physio will set you back around £200 and a zeiss superb is a little higher. If you want a top of the range zeiss lens then £300.

If you go to a small independent who sells well known branded lenses then expect to pay at least a third more than for the same lens at a large chain.

"

Thanks!

over a year ago

Ok, one day in and still a bit weird. Found driving in the dark a bit of a challenge and still finding things out of focus if me head is in the wrong place. But feel a lot less on acid then last night!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ok, one day in and still a bit weird. Found driving in the dark a bit of a challenge and still finding things out of focus if me head is in the wrong place. But feel a lot less on acid then last night!"

I had neck ache for ages

over a year ago

"Ok, one day in and still a bit weird. Found driving in the dark a bit of a challenge and still finding things out of focus if me head is in the wrong place. But feel a lot less on acid then last night!

I had neck ache for ages "

Had my contacts on today as I was playing sport and putting the glasses back on tonight I feel like I'm back to square one....

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Ok, one day in and still a bit weird. Found driving in the dark a bit of a challenge and still finding things out of focus if me head is in the wrong place. But feel a lot less on acid then last night!

I had neck ache for ages

Had my contacts on today as I was playing sport and putting the glasses back on tonight I feel like I'm back to square one.... "

It will click eventually and you'll be able to swap back and forth easily. It's a question of conditioning your brain and eyes I think.

over a year ago

I must neee them as I read the headline as van local lasses.

over a year ago

I had neck ache for ages

Had my contacts on today as I was playing sport and putting the glasses back on tonight I feel like I'm back to square one....

It will click eventually and you'll be able to swap back and forth easily. It's a question of conditioning your brain and eyes I think."

I hope so, feel like all over the place

over a year ago

FFS I'm struggling with these bastard glasses

By *irtyGirlWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Yeah I've got them too. They took a wee bit of getting used to, especially going down stairs.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"FFS I'm struggling with these bastard glasses "

I empathise, I truly do. It will get better, it really will, stick with it kid.

over a year ago

"FFS I'm struggling with these bastard glasses

I empathise, I truly do. It will get better, it really will, stick with it kid. "

Distance seems ok it's just the close up stuff I'm having problems with

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Distance seems ok it's just the close up stuff I'm having problems with"

as I said a couple of days ago it took me a month to get used to them it was close up that I had problems with too I suppose because distance is more general if you get my drift. Go back to your optician of you can and ask them to draw round the area that's for close up it'll give you an idea of the area you need to look through. I'm wearing my varifocals now and I can honestly say I don't notice that I'm adjusting between close up and distance now yet I was ready to jump up and down on mine and uncharacteristically swore like a trooper when I was getting used to them. Unless you've got an incorrect prescription it will get better I promise

over a year ago

I have had vari focals for 6 years now. I must have been lucky with min. put them on and no trouble at all.

Even the price was very good.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Distance seems ok it's just the close up stuff I'm having problems with"

It really sounds like either;

1. You have not been shown how to use them properly; or,

2. Your optician has not measured your zones correctly, and placed them wrongly for your eyes; or,

3. One of the prescriptions is wrong

over a year ago

Yeh I wear varifocals, and yes they're weird to start with, but in time you get used to them, to the point of forgetting you even wear them.

over a year ago

Distance seems ok it's just the close up stuff I'm having problems with

It really sounds like either;

1. You have not been shown how to use them properly; or,

2. Your optician has not measured your zones correctly, and placed them wrongly for your eyes; or,

3. One of the prescriptions is wrong "

Think I will head back to the opticians for some advice

Post new Message to Thread