Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Children on facebook

Jump to newest

By *oe the greek OP   Man
over a year ago

Swindon

Just been on facebook to wish someone happy birthday and when I was looking at my friends list I noticed some friend had created a facebook profile for their kid. They are 8. Right or wrong or plain daft? In an age of peodos I feel this is daft

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Just been on facebook to wish someone happy birthday and when I was looking at my friends list I noticed some friend had created a facebook profile for their kid. They are 8. Right or wrong or plain daft? In an age of peodos I feel this is daft"

I dont add anyone under 18, even family and never post pics in public of my family....Ive seen worse on dating sites where women have kids in profile pics-and giving the least amount of information away on this site is best saying u have family committments should be enough...not the ages of yer kids in my opinion

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

a few of my younger members of my family have facebook 9 and 12 and a few others, I think if the parents are keeping an eye on what they are doing its fine and have everything set so only friends can see photos etc then there shouldnt be a problem

over a year ago

providing his/her mother or father checks on it regularly i don't see the issue.

over a year ago

"providing his/her mother or father checks on it regularly i don't see the issue."

dont have a problem with it either, just my choice keeping unders off my profile. after all kids use bebo more than facebook i reckon lol

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

"Just been on facebook to wish someone happy birthday and when I was looking at my friends list I noticed some friend had created a facebook profile for their kid. They are 8. Right or wrong or plain daft? In an age of peodos I feel this is daft"

Its wrong and damn right irresponsible for an adult to allow this, there is no way i would off allowed my children on any site like that, at an age so young. They dont have the full comprehension of the dangers that lurk there, and it wasnt that long ago that a peado ring was found out on fb. Some people do not have any common sense (my opinion only)

over a year ago

Some of my grandchildren are on there. The conditions are that mum and dad have password and are added as friends so that they can keep an eye on them. Seems the best way to manage it.

over a year ago

Nope there is no way in hell my 10 year old would have her own face book account

She is allowed on her mothers account occasionally ta play the games and that is it till she is at the very least 14 xx

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

I'm with Coantrimcouple. I just don't see why an 8 year old would need to be on FB?

I fail to see why an 8 year old should be on the computer full stop!

*Her*

By *ouple1234Couple
over a year ago

BELFAST UK

times are changing and kids are catching up on whats on offer to them at a younger age, and pedo's can be anywhere not just on pc's looking to lure kids infact i would say the internet is alot safer now that it used to be as pedo can be caught on the internet alot quicker now, where you dont know who lives in your street taking pics of kids getting his sick kicks while there out in the street playing or with this good weather whos sitting next to you at the beach

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

"times are changing and kids are catching up on whats on offer to them at a younger age, and pedo's can be anywhere not just on pc's looking to lure kids infact i would say the internet is alot safer now that it used to be as pedo can be caught on the internet alot quicker now, where you dont know who lives in your street taking pics of kids getting his sick kicks while there out in the street playing or with this good weather whos sitting next to you at the beach"

i agree with what you are saying , but in my opinion 8yr is to young to be on a social net working site.

over a year ago

my 18 month old granddaughter has a fb profile, run my her mum, just for sending out pictures to the rest of the family rather then sending dozens out to individuals. I think for that it is a brilliant idea. Yes she does get messages and mum answers them. My daughters two older children 11 and 13 dont have one yet and are content without.

over a year ago

"my 18 month old granddaughter has a fb profile, run my her mum, just for sending out pictures to the rest of the family rather then sending dozens out to individuals. I think for that it is a brilliant idea. Yes she does get messages and mum answers them. My daughters two older children 11 and 13 dont have one yet and are content without."

wonder if kids can sue, if they decide they never wanted plastered on the internet etc lol....just a thought hehe

over a year ago

What's really daft is the fashion trend for kids to have a necklace or a hairband (or whatever) made of beads spelling out their name.

Nothing instills confidence in a child like the belief that someone knows them - knows their name and must therefore be a safe person.

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

as long as privacy settings are set correctly and everything is monitored properly there shouldnt be a problem the prolem is alot of parents after setting fb up for kids cant be bothered doing it ,

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son only had a facebook account as he turned 16. He was allowed in monitored msn chatrooms at 15 after i had sucrutinized the one he wanted to use.

Computers can be a great tool for education for children but call me old fashioned but children should be out playing with their friends and not sitting chatting to them via a computer.

No way would an 8 year old of mine have a f/b account for numerous reasons

over a year ago

Oi Diamond its still morning hun you up early are ya ok?? xx

over a year ago

my son is on face book hes had a guy asking him how big it is he was 20 s0 new how to handle it. ive been on the poker and heard them plying the young lasses with compliments n stuff. i cant help but put my 2peneth in when i hear that

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Oi Diamond its still morning hun you up early are ya ok?? xx "

Havent really been to bed yet lol

By *azarus70Man
over a year ago

Cheshire

Well my 9 year old son has a fb account and i really dont see an issue with it , he mainly plays on the games and both myself and his mum monitor his friends list.

As for the paedos lurking on the net , true predatory paedophiles and organised rings are using the net more and more to groom children.

However the simple fact is that all the research and statistics on child abuse repeatedly show that a child is more likely to be abused by a family member or an adult in a position of responsibility , sad but true.

over a year ago

"my son is on face book hes had a guy asking him how big it is he was 20 s0 new how to handle it. ive been on the poker and heard them plying the young lasses with compliments n stuff. i cant help but put my 2peneth in when i hear that "

Yeah a guy online once asked me how big i was

I told him five foot three

He said im not taking fuckin that and i never heard from him again

Strange bloke xx

By *eighleedsMan
over a year ago

leeds

FB terms of use state you cannot use FB is you are under 13 years old, but it would seem they do not enforce it

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"My son only had a facebook account as he turned 16. He was allowed in monitored msn chatrooms at 15 after i had sucrutinized the one he wanted to use.

Computers can be a great tool for education for children but call me old fashioned but children should be out playing with their friends and not sitting chatting to them via a computer.

No way would an 8 year old of mine have a f/b account for numerous reasons"

I agree with diamond. Appreciate the other arguments about parents monitoring what is going on etc, but its just something that sits very uncomfortably with me.

My niece puts photos of her kids on all the time and I hate it....

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"FB terms of use state you cannot use FB is you are under 13 years old, but it would seem they do not enforce it"
they dont enforce anything on there

over a year ago

"as long as privacy settings are set correctly and everything is monitored properly there shouldnt be a problem the prolem is alot of parents after setting fb up for kids cant be bothered doing it ,"

well said temp...in a few weeks of trying to tell some lesser well versed ppl in what they do on facebook...clicking links etc(who thinks a video of a south african girl committing suicide on webcam is something u would wish to click on!)- theres lotsa ways to protect urself on fb, too many are just to ignorant of it-kids should be monitored on the internet, theres even kid-safe internet software-In my opinion kids under teenage years really dont need much privacy-give that too early and they end up thinking they are adults(I see this alot as an uncle)

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

*thought for today* nice to see a thread where we all have differnt opinions and no one has been shot down for it. (pardon the pun)

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

There are restrictions in place for anyone giving DOB under 16....

over a year ago

"*thought for today* nice to see a thread where we all have differnt opinions and no one has been shot down for it. (pardon the pun) "

och i wanted heated arguments, then some make up sex...cyber or otherwise lol

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

"*thought for today* nice to see a thread where we all have differnt opinions and no one has been shot down for it. (pardon the pun)

och i wanted heated arguments, then some make up sex...cyber or otherwise lol"

lol back to the drawing board you go

over a year ago

"*thought for today* nice to see a thread where we all have differnt opinions and no one has been shot down for it. (pardon the pun)

lol back to the drawing board you go "

I'm drawing ur boobies with crayons!

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple
over a year ago

Lisburn

I'm drawing ur boobies with crayons! "

can you make them a little bit bigger, thank xx

over a year ago

social networking sites and kids using them really worry me.

its ok if you got them supervised but kids these days have internet on their mobiles so its not so easy to police.

worrying.

over a year ago

i'll makes urs bigger if u make mine bigger(cock)...perving ur pics has worked anyway,its a masturbaterpiece!!!

I'm drawing ur boobies with crayons!

can you make them a little bit bigger, thank xx "

By *edhotminxWoman
over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

Being a total technophobe I haven't got a Facebook account and have no idea at all about how to use the site or settings - nor do I want to. My son has one and told me my daughter had one too, which I asked him to delete. I've told her she'll have to wait until she's at least 14.

What I find more worrying is the reports in the papers about employers looking at profiles of applicants to see if they are suitable - story of a young woman who posted about hating her new job and her employer read it!

My ex used to read what our son was up to on FB and then text me with all his moans about it. Son then blocked him, but he gained access to his account via son's girlfriend's page. Now that's what I find scary.

FB is a wonderful tool, but it has those that abuse it too - they really should have a panic button on there to report any such situations.

Post new Message to Thread