Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Waistline and belly

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My waistline is getting smaller but can't seem to shift it off my tummy area. I've lost 13 stone up to now. My waist really is only an 18 but have to wear a 20 because of my belly. What's the best excercise to help shift it please

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Sit ups, cardio, circuit training, core training, a good diet, the list goes on!

over a year ago

"My waistline is getting smaller but can't seem to shift it off my tummy area. I've lost 13 stone up to now. My waist really is only an 18 but have to wear a 20 because of my belly. What's the best excercise to help shift it please"

Congratulations on losing the 13 stone though. Well done

By *inkyChrissy99TV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

Great work shifting so Much already! Has to be cardio work such as running or circuit training to beat the belly

over a year ago

In reality despite what many psudo-scientists might say there really is no way to "Spot burn" fat as you are looking for here.

I have had similar issues, dropped from 22st down to 14st 7 and the tummy was among the last to go, but all you can do is continue the good things you have done to get the previous 13st off. Eventually the belly will start to come off too, its often the last place.

Congratulations on your weight loss journey, 13st is a fuckton of weight to lose, especially if its all been done naturally.

You may need to accept that without surgery you cant get to EXACTLY where you would like to be, but dont forget the successes you have had so far, and how far you have come. Im in exactly the same place, to get to where i want would require some contouring liposuction and a minor tummy tuck, which i'll probably have after i finish my masters and get back to full time work.

over a year ago

"Sit ups, cardio, circuit training, core training, a good diet, the list goes on! "

What this fella said

over a year ago

You basically lost my bodyweight from your body. Well done. X

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

There's another thread from a guy who wants to lose stomach fat.

Targeted fat loss is impossible until your body is ready to shift it from there. You can target exercise to muscles but it doesn't make nearby fat melt away - and those muscles may already be perfectly toned.

Fat loss that's sustained is just more of what you've been doing very successfully to now. An exercise routine added could help you to improve your body's fitness - ideally you'd get professional advice.

over a year ago

I've been trying to lose weight for over a year, with diet and exercise - yet havent shifted a single pound.

Weights, rowing machine, walking, badminton, carb counting, portion control... nowt has worked.

I admire people who are successful with their weight-loss regime.

over a year ago

"Sit ups, cardio, circuit training, core training, a good diet, the list goes on! "

No point doing sit ups untill you are a fair way into your weight loss.

Eat less carbs

And walk to places you usually would drive or get a bicycle

Swimming is usually the best bet x

over a year ago

I remember watching a few youtube videos and the guy was saying your ab muscles are not huge so exerciseing them wont burn as much fat as say your leg muscles which are far bigger and will burn more fat.

Not an expert tho on fitness but fair play losing so much weight

over a year ago

Just keep on doing what you're doing and eventually you'll end up where you want to be. Diet and exercise are the two main factors.

By *izbitMan
over a year ago

St Helens

Leg raises, resistance twists, sit ups, never forget the abdominal has sides to so work all areas not just the upper and lower areas. Unfortunately when skin has stretched it does and in some cases won't return as you slim down. Great work so far and don't be disheartened

over a year ago

As far as I'm aware you can't spot fat reduce. Fat will come off evenly over your body as you lose weight. Your belly may have a lot of excess skin rather than fat so it may seem like it's not reducing in line with the rest of you. Well done to you for losing so much and good luck x

over a year ago

"Sit ups, cardio, circuit training, core training, a good diet, the list goes on!

Eat less carbs

Swimming is usually the best bet x"

Why do you think sit ups are no good? I've been doing them from the start, they're great as part of building core strength and muscle tone.

over a year ago

Well done on what you have already achieved, thats BRILLIANT WORK! keep doing what you did, its working. The last bit takes longer to lose, keep on doing what you're doing, oh... and maybe engage in marathon sex sessions to burn it off with some pleasure.

You look FAB!

over a year ago

"Sit ups, cardio, circuit training, core training, a good diet, the list goes on!

Eat less carbs

Why do you think sit ups are no good? I've been doing them from the start, they're great as part of building core strength and muscle tone."

I think it's due to the fat burning process, please correct me if I'm wrong tho

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

Why do you think sit ups are no good? I've been doing them from the start, they're great as part of building core strength and muscle tone."

You rarely see a persons abs as usually there hidden under fat.. my body fat is low and my abs are not all that visible. I just think if you have a lot off excess fat you want to burn off maybe use your time and energy abit more wisely... I'm not expert but all i mean is save the sit ups until later on in your progress when you can actually see abs. X

By *unandnaughty01Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Exercise and a good diet is key to losing weight. All these people out there selling juice plus and other weight management crap at crazy prices is not good for you they only last until you stop doing it and then it will pile back on.

There are a few apps that can help with certain areas of the body of you just want to target them specifically.

Well done for losing the weight

over a year ago

"My waistline is getting smaller but can't seem to shift it off my tummy area. I've lost 13 stone up to now. My waist really is only an 18 but have to wear a 20 because of my belly. What's the best excercise to help shift it please"

Impressive work, well done.

Swimming is great for you they say.

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

Why do you think sit ups are no good? I've been doing them from the start, they're great as part of building core strength and muscle tone.

You rarely see a persons abs as usually there hidden under fat.. my body fat is low and my abs are not all that visible. I just think if you have a lot off excess fat you want to burn off maybe use your time and energy abit more wisely... I'm not expert but all i mean is save the sit ups until later on in your progress when you can actually see abs. X"

Most folks underestimate their body fat. I thought I was sub 10 % but am probs at least 12.

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

You rarely see a persons abs as usually there hidden under fat.. my body fat is low and my abs are not all that visible. I just think if you have a lot off excess fat you want to burn off maybe use your time and energy abit more wisely... I'm not expert but all i mean is save the sit ups until later on in your progress when you can actually see abs. X

Most folks underestimate their body fat. I thought I was sub 10 % but am probs at least 12."

Im 10.3%

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

Most folks underestimate their body fat. I thought I was sub 10 % but am probs at least 12.

Im 10.3%"

No way are you 10 bud. I saw a video of a fitness model called Jamie Andelton getting a dexa scan to check body fat and he was absolutely shredded at 10.8. Google it.

over a year ago

Well done you. You've lost more than I've ever weighed.

I'd recommend getting a resistance band. They're great for exercising at home and will at least help tone you up a bit.

You can vary the exercises to suit your needs.

Good luck

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

You rarely see a persons abs as usually there hidden under fat.. my body fat is low and my abs are not all that visible. I just think if you have a lot off excess fat you want to burn off maybe use your time and energy abit more wisely... I'm not expert but all i mean is save the sit ups until later on in your progress when you can actually see abs. X"

doing them burns calories. Helps weight loss. And I'd rather train my muscles whether they can be seen or not. I don't want visible abs.

over a year ago

13 stone...did you divorce him?

over a year ago

Eat less carbs

Im 10.3%

No way are you 10 bud. I saw a video of a fitness model called Jamie Andelton getting a dexa scan to check body fat and he was absolutely shredded at 10.8. Google it."

Ok mate

I weigh myself every 2 weeks... body fat included

By *lwaysup4it69Couple
over a year ago

Kirkby in Ashfield

Wow you look amazing x

By *hloe sussexTV/TS
over a year ago

Larne

over a year ago

First off well done on the weight loss, that's amazing. Shift that last bit is always hard, especially in a balanced way, as we lose weight all over, not in specific areas. I ended up looking like I walked out of a concentration camp the first time I tried for a six pack. Because I focused on my belly and ignored everything else. Usually that last bit is down to burning fat, rather than losing it. So plenty of hiit training. I would recommend a few sessions with a personal trainer though, to work out specific programs.

By *hloe sussexTV/TS
over a year ago

Larne

Do a lot of twists with a broom stick for you side tummy and.May be an ab roller for your front belly ,there quiet hard to use but you can use cheat reps to begin with and a good healthy diet and loads of water xx

By *iercedItMan
over a year ago

Mcr

I have found the only reliable way to tighten any area is to build it.

Bingo wings for example = work your bicep, triceps, brachs and to some extent delts and pec minor to "stretch" and fill out the skin a little, which should reduce it. This can be applied to most areas but it's far from perfect and only reduces it.

For stomach, it's a little awkward , perhaps some pec work, glutes, hamstrings... Maybe others can suggest more.

Aside from that, Spot burning and fat torches or whatever they call them don't work.

By *iercedItMan
over a year ago

Mcr

I had one of these done, they tell you lean muscle down to the exact gram, fat levels, they even break it down to left arm, right arm, gynoid, left leg, left calf, head, etc. They can even isolate muscles and tell you your right bicep is smaller than your left and identify imbalances etc.

The bioimpedence machines were sooo wrong on me, and calipers were a good 5% wrong and I had calipers done by experts at Body Power and various PT's.

Anyone interested, I had mine done at Derby University, they are like £60.

Unless you've had the dexa scan, I'd say most others are accurate to -/+5% least based on my experience.

"

No way are you 10 bud. I saw a video of a fitness model called Jamie Andelton getting a dexa scan to check body fat and he was absolutely shredded at 10.8. Google it."

over a year ago

Get friend to drop light medicine ball on your chest stings but after a while mo pain and it works or crunches or setups holding a weight plate flat on stomach

over a year ago

"In reality despite what many psudo-scientists might say there really is no way to "Spot burn" fat as you are looking for here.

I have had similar issues, dropped from 22st down to 14st 7 and the tummy was among the last to go, but all you can do is continue the good things you have done to get the previous 13st off. Eventually the belly will start to come off too, its often the last place.

Congratulations on your weight loss journey, 13st is a fuckton of weight to lose, especially if its all been done naturally.

You may need to accept that without surgery you cant get to EXACTLY where you would like to be, but dont forget the successes you have had so far, and how far you have come. Im in exactly the same place, to get to where i want would require some contouring liposuction and a minor tummy tuck, which i'll probably have after i finish my masters and get back to full time work. "

over a year ago

Keep burning off the fat. The stomach has the most stored fat so will take longer to use it up as an energy source.

over a year ago

"Get friend to drop light medicine ball on your chest stings but after a while mo pain and it works or crunches or setups holding a weight plate flat on stomach "

That won't burn fat though,just tighten the muscles under the fat.

By *enard ArgenteMan
over a year ago

London and France

Check your posture .

Often this is because you are standing with your spine curved forwards; which pushes your belly out; if your spine is curved forwards, try standing with it straighter.

This will also produce more core strength

over a year ago

Well done for loosing 13 stone!! I have no advice as I'm also on a weight loss journey, albeit only 3 stone so far and I'm already having the same issue - it's coming off everywhere but my belly

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"As far as I'm aware you can't spot fat reduce. Fat will come off evenly over your body as you lose weight. Your belly may have a lot of excess skin rather than fat so it may seem like it's not reducing in line with the rest of you. Well done to you for losing so much and good luck x"

This, you can't spot reduce. I can't believe that people still think you can, it's one of the oldest fitness myths out there.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

"

I had one of these done, they tell you lean muscle down to the exact gram, fat levels, they even break it down to left arm, right arm, gynoid, left leg, left calf, head, etc. They can even isolate muscles and tell you your right bicep is smaller than your left and identify imbalances etc.

The bioimpedence machines were sooo wrong on me, and calipers were a good 5% wrong and I had calipers done by experts at Body Power and various PT's.

Anyone interested, I had mine done at Derby University, they are like £60.

Unless you've had the dexa scan, I'd say most others are accurate to -/+5% least based on my experience.

This. Different people can look really different at similar bodyfats. There are a couple of youtube vids out there of random gorups of people having bodyfat scans and the results are surprising.

over a year ago

eating less

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

I've been doing Pilates and water aerobics which mean you engage your core muscle. My stomach has toned up but it is still a massive problem area. Just keep doing what your doing and enjoy the journey and it will happen naturally. Well done on your progress so far!!!!!!!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

As your weight drops, your basal metabolic rate also drops - so less calories are needed to sustain your new weight. That's a bummer!

But some exercise approaches can increase your metabolism for upto a day after you finish it.

Keep on with your diet approach and complement it with exercise to increase your metabolism. As said before and by others, fat from anywhere will only go when your body is ready to shed it - targeted spot fat loss is impossible.

It's another area where patience is key.

over a year ago

Best exercise?

Exercise restraint like you already have been doing.

Well done you for losing so much already. Can you feel your predicted lifespan extending by the day? You must feel amazing. You certainly look it.

Tummy is supposed to be the hardest to shift. It'll go on its own to some degree if you continue to lose weight.

If you've had kids there is also a chance your tummy muscles have parted. No amount of exercise will fix that.

I saw a lady on embarrassing bodies who had lost a load of weight but had separated tummy muscles. They gave her surgery to bring them together again.

over a year ago

Same problem...loving my new body apart from my belly, so following this!

By *unandnaughty01Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Asking as your losing something regardless whether it's a 1lb or 10lb just feel going it's never easy losing weight I was originally 120kgs but a strict diet and loads of exercise has brought me down to 93kgs

#dontgiveup

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

The type of loss you are looking for (I've seen your lovely photos) won't happen without surgery. It will get smaller but that overhang with always be there and don't doubt that many more women have overhang than those that don't.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanku everyone for your feedback on this thread, and the private messages and for all your nice comments. I have since signed up to a gym and signed up with a pt for my fist few weeks.

Post new Message to Thread