Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

15yrs after 9/11, where were you?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So 15 years ago on the evening of the 10th Sept I said goodbye to my mates at JFK airport after 2 weeks of being in New York. So I landed at 6am on the 11th and went to bed to wake up to all the pictures and news on tv of the terror attack

Do other people remember where they were at that awful time?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

In my dad's car driving home.

over a year ago

In Disney in Florida! We were evacuated and had to stay in hotel room waiting to see if anywhere else was hit!

over a year ago

I was at work. Sad day

over a year ago

Watching at home after school. Saw the whole coverage. It was horrendous.

over a year ago

Was 15 and walking home from school. Went into the shop to buy sweets and the radio was on in there. The guy never had the radio on. I couldn't make out what had happened but knew something serious had occured.

Got home and mum told me to switch the T.V on.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Went home early to pack. (I was due to fly to the US the next day to test a prototype we had in transit to unique facility over there.) I remember feeling guiltily glad that the shutting of US airspace meant I could no longer go.

Regaining the prototype, which looked suspiciously bomb like, from the courier system became an interesting experience.

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I was in my sixth form common room during a free period and I sat there and said to my friends "this might sound weird but there's just been a plane crash". Few minutes later a teacher can in and turned on the tv and we all watched the news coverage, a few people didn't speak to me after that as it must have creeped them out, To this day I have no idea how I knew I just knew

over a year ago

"I was in my sixth form common room during a free period and I sat there and said to my friends "this might sound weird but there's just been a plane crash". Few minutes later a teacher can in and turned on the tv and we all watched the news coverage, a few people didn't speak to me after that as it must have creeped them out, To this day I have no idea how I knew I just knew "

You mean you had some sort of a premonition?

over a year ago

Is it really fifteen years? I was at work, remember going for a drink with colleagues at lunchtime as we were all in shock and worried that the City of London would be the next target.

over a year ago

In work. My wife had only just moved over here from America a few weeks earlier and was freaking out at home so I just up and left to go home.

By *estivalMan
over a year ago

borehamwood

Was working as a gardener at the time and lady whos house we were at told us to come in and look at this plane thats just crashed.why we was stood there watchin the second plane hit.still dosent seem real wen u watch the footage to this day

over a year ago

"Was working as a gardener at the time and lady whos house we were at told us to come in and look at this plane thats just crashed.why we was stood there watchin the second plane hit.still dosent seem real wen u watch the footage to this day"

Nah it doesn't. Unreal as fuck. Can't get over it

over a year ago

"I was in my sixth form common room during a free period and I sat there and said to my friends "this might sound weird but there's just been a plane crash". Few minutes later a teacher can in and turned on the tv and we all watched the news coverage, a few people didn't speak to me after that as it must have creeped them out, To this day I have no idea how I knew I just knew

You mean you had some sort of a premonition? "

I had a sort of premonition too. When I got up that morning, i.e. several hours before the tragic event, I had an uncontrollable urge to play "New York New York" by Frank Sinatra (not something I would usually play) and thought, "what a great city New York is".

over a year ago

I was at work, a customer came in and told us about it. We watched on the TV and saw the second plane hit. Very sad day indeed

over a year ago

I was at home watching the events unfold all throughout the day.

Still unbelievable to watch those planes fly into the Twin Towers & the aftermath 15 years later...

over a year ago

I remember coming in from work and putting the Tele on and it was on the news....I didn't really take any notice as I never even realised it was real...I thought it was a movie...took me a few minutes to realise what was really happening....I sat on my couch for a good 10 minutes watching it feeling sick and trying to get my head round it....remember being terrified and a feeling of pure disbelief that it was possible x

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

That footage of the first tower burning and then the reaction of the onlookers as they realise that the second plane is being crashed into the other tower must be imprinted on the minds of just about everyone who saw it that day.

By *tep121Man
over a year ago

manchester

Walking home from school. Walked past TV rental shop n it was on. Thought wtf is going on. Raced home n parents were stood in front of TV watching it happen

over a year ago

I will never forget that day. I was living and working in (downtown) Manhattan at the time. I was sitting having a pre-work coffee with some colleagues as everything started to unfold.

The days and weeks that followed were so surreal. We lost a colleague and 9 regular customers that day.

RIP. x

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"So 15 years ago on the evening of the 10th Sept I said goodbye to my mates at JFK airport after 2 weeks of being in New York. So I landed at 6am on the 11th and went to bed to wake up to all the pictures and news on tv of the terror attack

Do other people remember where they were at that awful time?"

I was at work and the Director of Communications came into our office, white as a sheet and said a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers.

We all turned our computers to the news stations and watched in horror when the second one hit.

I remember the horror and realisation that the world had got a whole lot worse.

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"I was in my sixth form common room during a free period and I sat there and said to my friends "this might sound weird but there's just been a plane crash". Few minutes later a teacher can in and turned on the tv and we all watched the news coverage, a few people didn't speak to me after that as it must have creeped them out, To this day I have no idea how I knew I just knew

Yes saw it all in my head before it happened God knows how or why

over a year ago

I believe in premonitions.

over a year ago

Think i was at work.

over a year ago

I was Officer of the Day at the Permanent Joint Headquarters in Northwood. Things went from humdrum to exceptionally busy in seconds.

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

I had a sort of premonition too. When I got up that morning, i.e. several hours before the tragic event, I had an uncontrollable urge to play "New York New York" by Frank Sinatra (not something I would usually play) and thought, "what a great city New York is"."

Weird how sometimes you just know these things. It's happened to me on many occasions;

I did it the day my uncle died to I dreamt it the night before came down stairs to my dad who looked as white as a ghost and I said "uncle Chris died in a car crash didn't he?" My dad just nodded then broke down

The day my grandad fell off the ladder cleaning windows in quite a serious accident I was home and just turned to my mum and said "get to grandmas now grandads had a fall they need you" then the phones rings instantly and it's my grandma letting us know what had happened and that the ambulance was on the way

More recently was last week I dreamt my best friend was pregnant with a boy later that day her and the hubby came and told me the news! I'll have to update you later as to the sex yet as she's only 7 weeks gone

God knows how I know these things but I always do

By *ookingforlustMan
over a year ago

northants

At work.

What a crap place the world has become since then. 9/11 was the warmongerers wet dream!

over a year ago

In work and a temp was listening to the radio and suddenly shouted oh my god a plan has crashed into the WTC

Remember going to my bfs that night and we fell asleep just watching the news on loop completely dumbfounded

over a year ago

I was at work, I'd started a new job and was in training with a few others. We'd had a break and had the radio on, and the news reported that there were unconfirmed reports of a plane crashing in to one of the twin towers which non if us thought too much of. A short while later we noticed hardly anyone was at their desks and appeared to all be watching the TV in the canteen.

It was surreal almost 200 people watching a small TV and all in total shock at what we were aeeing

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

At home on my days off.

By *ohan86Man
over a year ago

east wemyss

I was at school remember coming home and watching it all on TV,can't believe it's been 15years don't think it'll ever get any easier

By *acavityMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I'd sailed across the English channel, planning to go to Holland, but ended up in Belgium, due to the weather.

We knew something had happened, but we struggled to find out exactly what.

over a year ago

I was playing out the front ob my scooter.

over a year ago

I'd rather not recall it. The images of people being so terrified and desperate that they'd jump out of a Skyskraper......still haunt me.

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple
over a year ago

nr chester

I was pregnant and at work, we were in the staff room and someone came in and said put the tv on, we all just stood dumbfounded as we watched the second plane hit, then it became apparent very quickly that it could be terrorists as our manager came in and told us that a major incident had been declared, we had to cancel all our afternoon appointments and close our department, we were subsequently moved to another department on stand by, it's was very somber as my manager offered me the opportunity to go home( being heavily pregnant) I declined, I think you just know that you need to be there, we spent the whole day just waiting and watching, that major incident never came, and I'm thankful for that and for always will be, Mrs blue eyes

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I was sat at home watching it on tv cuddling my 12 day old baby wondering wtf was going on.

My grandparents were on a plane heading to a family wedding in Mexico - they were diverted to Calgary in Canada for 3 days before coming home. The wait for a call to say they were OK was horrific.

over a year ago

"I was sat at home watching it on tv cuddling my 12 day old baby wondering wtf was going on.

My grandparents were on a plane heading to a family wedding in Mexico - they were diverted to Calgary in Canada for 3 days before coming home. The wait for a call to say they were OK was horrific. "

That was the worst thing for us too was the wait to hear from those we'd left the night before.

We lost one friend as she had gone to WTC for a job interview that morning

By *anklerMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

I'd been working in Wales.

Driving home when the first news came on the radio. Couldn't believe it and at first thought it was a terrible accident.

When we got near Heathrow the planes w3re coming over to land and every time all the traffic just slowed tight down

over a year ago

I was at work, at a business travel agents and we all watched as it happened on CNN ... it was like watching some apocalyptic horror movie... terrible, terrible day

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

[Removed by poster at 11/09/16 10:03:07]

By *ackDMissMorganCouple
over a year ago

Halifax

I was working,our boss was off sick that day and rang the office to tell us.We went to watch it unfold on the tv in coffee room,horrific still all these years on.

Miss

By *orwegian BlueMan
over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

In Ambala, Ilford, eating a curry for my lunch.

It was on TV and all the staff were watching, I didn't pay much heed to it, just thinking the images being played were a gas explosion in a building.

Until I saw the second plane hit the building..

The image that sticks with me is of the guy that jumped..just a haunting image.

By *LFB.Woman
over a year ago

Farnborough.

Was at work with the tv on when the first plane struck, driving to pick up my daughter from school when the second struck. horrendous day, RIP to all who lost their lives.

By *ewels74Woman
over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

"I was at home watching the events unfold all throughout the day.

Still unbelievable to watch those planes fly into the Twin Towers & the aftermath 15 years later... "

I'd been in another room kitchen I think and radio was on,something got mentioned and went to check the television,and seen the outcome of the 2nd happening...you tend to end up being memorised by the things that are happening and was just heartbreaking when you see certain things

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

I was in A & E with a poorly child

By *oyce69Man
over a year ago

Driffield

Had just come off the London eye as the story started to unfold and listened on the radio at a stall outside the aquarium. I think they shut the eye for a while incase it was a world wide attack and there was a threat to the Houses of Parliament.

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"I was Officer of the Day at the Permanent Joint Headquarters in Northwood. Things went from humdrum to exceptionally busy in seconds. "

Bloody hell I know where that is - I used to drive past near that every day lol

I bet it was crazy. I was interning for the summer and we just watched the tv footage it was shocking. I don't think I ever will forget

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

was sat in my signal box when the simon mayo show on radio5 anounced that a light plane had hit one of the towers minuits later the second plane hit and the rest is history only had a black and white portable to watch it all unfold so did look surreal when saw it all in full colour at the end of my shift strange day college phoned on the box to box and we both said at the same yime its bin ladins lot

By *unandbuckCouple
over a year ago

Sheffield

Just landed in Sweden on business. Taxi driver told me, then saw it unfold on tv in the hotel

over a year ago

I was at primary school. I got home and just stood astounded in front of the TV. My little sister's were all asking why we were being allowed to watch a war film in the daytime. They were too young to understand it was real

over a year ago

I lived in Cyprus at the time and had just finished a 24 hour flight delay, just fallen asleep when my now ex called told me to turn on the tv something was kicking off. He was on tour and they couldn't get info.

With that the resort emergency phone started going crazy with people demanding to be flown back to the uk. A very surreal few days followed.

over a year ago

*sisters. Stupid autocarrot

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have told this story before, and in the other thread.. i had actually flown back from JFK 2 days earlier....

it was actually my first day working in my new job for american express....

we had heard originally it was a little prop type plane that had crashed into the World Trade Centre....

they called everyone in the room after the 2nd plane hit, and asked anyone with friends and relatives in NYC if they wanted to take the rest of the day off... i didn't take them up on it at that point... but as soon as the building fell they did send people home

I was so lucky to not lose any family as a lot of them walked home from manhattan over the bridges,and then got onto the subways that were still running...... i almost ended up being the point person for the family, as it was easier for people to contact me here and find out what was going on then it was to contact them..(the TV and Radio antennas for a lot of the NYC and suburban NJ area were on top on WTC1... so as soon as it got hit people didn't have and TV/radio... and for some reason i managed to basically contact almost everyone within an hour to 90 minutes via texts as opposed to everyone trying to ring...

did lose 6 damn good friends, 3 who worked for morgan stanley, and 3 who worked for cantor fitzgerald...

going back for those funerals was one of the hardest things i have ever done

By *gcw2014Couple
over a year ago

just outside of liverpool

I was in Cyprus having got married there (now divorced) it was the day before we were due to fly home

over a year ago

At home getting ready to hold to work....glued to sky news and was subsequently late for work...

over a year ago

I was at work and one of the drivers came in and told us, we told him to fuck off because we thought he was taking the piss, so we went up to his wagon so if.could turn his radio on, 7 men all crammed in to the cab of his wagon and just listened to the radio, didn't see the images dp probably a day or 2 after because by the time I got home they had stop showing them on the news

over a year ago

I was at primary school in the middle of class, I remember getting home and my family were sat watching the news

over a year ago

In a history lesson. We got word of what was going on from someone who was off school and the teacher let us put the tv on to watch the news.

over a year ago

Another lad i worked with told me a couple of days later his grandma was one of the 1st people to hear about it, so I asked him if she lived in new York? His answer was no, she lives in Australia, and they are 12 hours in front of us, i tried to explain that we all found out at the same time it was just a different time where she was, but nope he was adamant Australia knew 1st because they are in front of us

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

was at work between night duties, just left home to get some shopping or something and hearing the interruption on the radio to report it turned round and came home..

went in early once seen the kids and gave them a bigger cuddle than usual as I knew some of the day shift guys would want to be home with their own..

over a year ago

I had come home from my early shift at work, had an afternoon nap, got up, switched the tv on and the first thing I saw was the first tower in flames. Carried on watching, thinking how surreal it all was, then saw the second plane hit. Still can't believe it now.

over a year ago

"Another lad i worked with told me a couple of days later his grandma was one of the 1st people to hear about it, so I asked him if she lived in new York? His answer was no, she lives in Australia, and they are 12 hours in front of us, i tried to explain that we all found out at the same time it was just a different time where she was, but nope he was adamant Australia knew 1st because they are in front of us"

Wow, your friend sounds like a genius

By *ob198XaMan
over a year ago

teleford

Carting grain as a summer student worker

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman
over a year ago

stourbridge area

I was at work ... the tv was on , and I just glanced as I walked passed .... I honestly thought it was a film......it wasn't till I got home and put the tv on and saw the whole of footage ..... that I realised it had actually happened

My friend has been to visit ground zero .... she says its so eerie ... but beautiful. ... theres a guy there who keeps it immaculately clean .....

over a year ago

"Another lad i worked with told me a couple of days later his grandma was one of the 1st people to hear about it, so I asked him if she lived in new York? His answer was no, she lives in Australia, and they are 12 hours in front of us, i tried to explain that we all found out at the same time it was just a different time where she was, but nope he was adamant Australia knew 1st because they are in front of us"

I love that logic

By *ungBlackTopMan
over a year ago

salford

[Removed by poster at 11/09/16 11:19:28]

over a year ago

"In a history lesson. We got word of what was going on from someone who was off school and the teacher let us put the tv on to watch the news. "

School?

Gawd you're young.

over a year ago

I was working in Bond Street.

That's about it.

By *rozacMan
over a year ago

london

I can only normally remember the 5th of november

over a year ago

Was working a summer job in Brixham before going back to uni.

over a year ago

I was driving home from work. Pulled over and parked up to listen to the radio cus i couldn't believe what i was hearing. Continued home and watched on telli. Saw the 2nd plane fly into the other tower live.

Phoned hubby and parents.

Shocking.

over a year ago

I was at work. We were streaming the BBC News ad Sky News we didnt have a single phone call all day. We were all in shock

By *estmidscoupleCouple
over a year ago

West Midlands

Working in a print plant in Slough , news started coming over the radio and just kept getting worse.

over a year ago

In my grand house watching Sabrina the teenage witch on Nickelodeon and a message came across the screen saying to turn on the news. Called my gran in the sitting room and was the first time I smoked a fag infront of her (I was 18) Seeing the second plane hit live as it was happening and seeing the jumpers falling down the sides of the building was surreal. Mental, so sad.

over a year ago

I just walked in from school and saw it on the news

over a year ago

"In a history lesson. We got word of what was going on from someone who was off school and the teacher let us put the tv on to watch the news.

School?

Gawd you're young.

"

We had a work experience lad in the office who was born on September 11 2001. Now that's young

over a year ago

Shit, meant in my Grans house not my grand house!

over a year ago

I was at work....we spent most of that day streaming the news.

By *awandOrderCouple
over a year ago

SW London

In Los Angeles, California, at working, everything stopped as we watched it all happen .... live .... and thinking about various friends who were travelling or working on the airlines that day. It was totally numb and even when I fly to this day, I feel those same feelings.

over a year ago

I was in work listening to key103 Manchester when they said a biplane had crashed into the twin towers. Never forget it.

By *al2001Man
over a year ago

kildare

Yes saw it all in my head before it happened God knows how or why "

Talk like that will get you a one way ticket to Guantanamo

By *urvymamaWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

Yes saw it all in my head before it happened God knows how or why

Talk like that will get you a one way ticket to Guantanamo "

When news of my story broke i was investigated and interviewed several times over the issue, luckily nothing came of it

over a year ago

I was at my work. I got off the train and my girlfriend started "have you heard what happened" but I thought she was going on about a small hairy moment in the stock market that was reported in the papers that morning and never listened. (There was a small comic sketch in the metro of a man hanging off a ledge in one of the building that morning)

I got in the house and my mum was standing in the middle of the living room glued to the tele and I asked what's wrong with you and she said "world war 3 just started) then I looked at the tele and saw what was going on.

over a year ago

at home- remember watching it with the kids - stunned wasnt in it

over a year ago

Was at Royal Marines Poole. Shocking time - the place was busing with activity. Think that day changed all our lives forever.

over a year ago

"I was at work ... the tv was on , and I just glanced as I walked passed .... I honestly thought it was a film......it wasn't till I got home and put the tv on and saw the whole of footage ..... that I realised it had actually happened

My friend has been to visit ground zero .... she says its so eerie ... but beautiful. ... theres a guy there who keeps it immaculately clean ....."

I went on my 40th birthday, we went to the firehouse just by the area the trade centre stood. We had a really nice chat with the firemen and spoke to a lady who's husband died in the north tower.

We had a coffee and she told us her story I had tears rolling down my cheeks.

Then the strangest thing in my life happened she gave us his name and suggested we look for him on the never ending fountain, we didn't need to look I walked right over to where his name was.

It's something I have never been able to explain and have no logical reason for it either.

Out of hundreds of names engraved his was the first I spotted it's a very emotional and erie place and a day that has changed the world forever.

By *ccasional couple 32Couple
over a year ago

mayo

I was in Gallup New Mexico , on a road trip from N Y C to Los Angeles. A sad day , never to be forgotten .

over a year ago

I was 12 years old when this happened and still remember watching it!!

over a year ago

Was at RAF leeming working in the armoury and all he'll broke loose we were put into a war footing and withing 5 mins I was outside the scotch corner cafe with a loaded gpmg I was 19 at the time and 15 years on I still get an adrenaline rush

over a year ago

In Amsterdam with an old friend browsing in an adult shop . News came on in Dutch first and the chap behind the counter started swearing, then it came on in English and my friend and I left and found a bar with Sky news, just in time to see the 2nd plane hit. Horrendous.

By *arehamMan
over a year ago

handforth

Just got in from work put the tele on and the second plane hit really sad day never to forget

By *ucyfur77Woman
over a year ago

Pleasuretown

At home I think, watching it all unfold on tv even though it felt so unreal like a bad dream

Still makes my stomach churn thinking about. Have always had a natural empathy for others - no matter if you knew somewhere there or not

By *r havin a laughMan
over a year ago

Innerleithen

On treadmill (at racquet centre,Coventry)training in disbelief at what was being shown on big screens in front of me.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Nursing my newborn baby thinking wtf!!!!

over a year ago

Just popped to the shop next to work for a packet of crisps and a can of and they had the radio on in the background Was concentrating on what I was doing and took me a minute to realise there was no other noise in the shop and I was the only customer moving, the other 4 were all stood still listening to it unfold on the radio.

Remember going back to the office to try and get the BBC news website up which was running slow.

over a year ago

"Was at RAF leeming working in the armoury and all he'll broke loose we were put into a war footing and withing 5 mins I was outside the scotch corner cafe with a loaded gpmg I was 19 at the time and 15 years on I still get an adrenaline rush"

WOW!

By *igjohn78Man
over a year ago

lincoln

work

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Printing notes for a training course in Jeddah then KLM cancelled my fight.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

At work, mate rang and informed me about it. No-one else at work knew so I informed others. Whilst on phone he said another plane had crashed into the second tower. We all sat in stunned silence.

By *ike4362ukMan
over a year ago

Cheshunt

I was actually inthe air, en-route to New York! Our plane was diverted to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Spent the rest of the weeking kipping in an exhibition hall waiting for the flights to start again.

The folks in Halifax were brilliant, so helpful and generous. They really pulled out all of the stops to look after everybody.

By *acko9568Man
over a year ago

saltburn

I was in my workshop, turning oak on a lathe making a 4 poster bed.. I had the radio on, Steve Wright, and the news just kept coming and coming... I went home, put the tv on, and was morbidly glued to the horror unfolding.. I am not ashamed to say that I cried my eyes out for all those innocent lost souls.

By *isaB45Woman
over a year ago

Fabville

I was at work. I thought I was seeing a disaster movie on tv...

over a year ago

I was working at the Foreign Office. I walked over to the UN section in time to see the second plane hit the second tower!

By *unnynbugsCouple
over a year ago

Neath

Walking into the house after college... saw the TV and thought it was some cheep daytime movie... was gobsmacked when I realised

By *unnynbugsCouple
over a year ago

Neath

"I was working at the Foreign Office. I walked over to the UN section in time to see the second plane hit the second tower!"

That's exactly the time I turned on the TV too

By *winny445Man
over a year ago

battersea

im in uk so not sure of times. i know it i just got home from school(so would have been about 4.00-430 pm in uk) i went to the corner shop and overheard the tv going on about new york so i turned round.

my dad remebers me coming back from the shop with the words "dad have you seen the tv, a building collapsed in new york"

the next few hours and days was so confusing for me and my school friends.

over a year ago

It was in my fist week of secondary school, went home that evening & that's all that was on TV.

I remember that when the 7/7 was announced, I was in a science lesson where the teacher had Radio 1 on in the background so we heard about it as it broke.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'll never forget it. I heard the first report on the radio in the car as I was going into a meeting, when it was still an accident. By the time I came out of the meeting everything had gone bonkers. I got back to my office and one person was trying to track her NYC based father and couldn't get through.

Then I got home to hear that three of my cousins had been affected. Two had lucky escapes and one had to do the long walk down one of the towers from his office to safety. He's never really fully got over the trauma of that day.

over a year ago

I was pregnant with my youngest x

By *umpleteazerWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

I was asleep as I had a 12 hour shift on a hospital switchboard that night. Spent the night on red alert calling all the consultants etc to put them on standby. Was all alone with just a TV stuck on the news channel for company. Watched it over and over and over. Then watched as the people got up and started travelling to work the next day. I remeber thinking, they are incredibly brave to do that. They would walk a few hundred yards then hit the deck as a plane went over. Then get up and carry on to wherever they were going. Incredible people

over a year ago

I was youngish when it happened.

It opened my eyes to all the crappy stuff going on in the world.

I was a bit of a sjw after it for a few years. these days tho i couldnt even being annoyed nothing i can do to change things all the bad stuff only gets ya down best to think positive

over a year ago

Like most I was was working and saw it unfold on the TV in the canteen

over a year ago

I was only 10yrs so don't remember to much.. just the news and how sad it was really..

In a strange way it's nice to hear other people's storeys on that day of events xx

By *entralscotscpl7Couple
over a year ago

Falkirk

I was a Girwood SF base in Northern Ireland.

We were watching it on TV then everyone was called into the ops room.

Everyone thought that was it. WW3 had just kicked off.

By *ynecplCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I was at work and somebody came in and said that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. We rushed to a TV and saw the second plane hit and realised at that point it was a terrorist attack. I was in the army back then and knew that the rest of my career was going to be interesting to say the least.

By *appytrailmanMan
over a year ago

Manchester

In science class, we were sent home almost immediately afterwards

over a year ago

I was in the back of a helicopter, doing a test on its systems! Initially assumed it was a tragic accident, until the second one hit!!

By *iss.HoneyWoman
over a year ago

I was in Belgium at a cafe and saw it all unfold on tv.

It was silent in there as we couldn't believe what was happening

over a year ago

Driving home from work . Horrible . So so so sad

By *el65Man
over a year ago

paisley

I was working in a factory carrying out some repairs with my mate who has passed since , he was due to fly over to the usa shortly after this date to visit family , ,like most we thought it was an accident till the second plane hit .

then we knew it was an attack , I know may people believe in conspiracy theories and each to the own , but it does not matter who done this , as long as they rot in hell , such a waste of life

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

Waiting for a taxi to come and take me to the airport for my holiday.

All flights were cancelled and my immediate thought was "omg, I can't go on holiday "

Then the reality of what was happening hit me, the world around us had changed forever.

Flights were later reinstated and I jetted off for two weeks in the sun. Security at the airport was incredible, taxi dropped us as close as he could but we still had a mile to walk to the terminal. They opened all cases and searched them, searched all hand baggage too and scanned everyone with handheld scanners as well as walking through the normal security scanner. I have never felt so safe getting on a plane!

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"I was at work, I'd started a new job and was in training with a few others. We'd had a break and had the radio on, and the news reported that there were unconfirmed reports of a plane crashing in to one of the twin towers which non if us thought too much of. A short while later we noticed hardly anyone was at their desks and appeared to all be watching the TV in the canteen.

It was surreal almost 200 people watching a small TV and all in total shock at what we were aeeing"

Very much the same for me. Except it was the TV on ... the training course got a bit delay as everyone was just glued to the TV in horror.

Nita

over a year ago

Something i will never forget,like scenes from a movie ,but it was real,it upset me for weeks,couldnt believe what i was seeing.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Yes I remember, had no idea but a neighbour said something and we put the TV and watched the unfolding horror

By *herbert fountainWoman
over a year ago

Hanley

I had the day off so was at home. Was watching the news about the first tower and saw the second plane hit. Spent the rest of the day glued to the tv watching it all unfold in disbelief. A very sad day

over a year ago

I had just started work as a dental nurse. As soon as I heard I was deeply shocked and upset. It didn't seem real. One of the overpaid arrogant sociopathic dentists was laughing about it. I'd have happily shoved the high speed drill up his arse!

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

"It was in my fist week of secondary school, went home that evening & that's all that was on TV.

I remember that when the 7/7 was announced, I was in a science lesson where the teacher had Radio 1 on in the background so we heard about it as it broke."

I was working in Canary Wharf when 7/7 happened I had been at a swinging club the night before but got in to work early

A girl that worked with us was delayed because at the time was a power serge then it all came out. Work wouldn't let us leave and there was all stories about terrorists in dock lands

That night I managed to get to bow and then my father picked me up as no tube trains

over a year ago

I was driving home from a fitting for my wedding suit. I then had to go to work, I worked at wetherspoons at the time and there was no telly or radio in the building. We had no idea if we were going to be attacked, go to war or what was going on. I got home at about 11 that night and just watched sky news looping over and over thinking that 13 years before I had stood on the roof of one of those buildings!

By *ple from LeicCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

At work

over a year ago

In a Magistrates Court, presenting evidence against unlicensed vehicles.

By *he-Dirty-DuoMan
over a year ago

Boston

I had just finished work when the first tower was hit and was listening to it on the radio on my drive home when the second plane hit

over a year ago

"I was Officer of the Day at the Permanent Joint Headquarters in Northwood. Things went from humdrum to exceptionally busy in seconds. "

Yep - same at RM Poole. Things would never be the same again.

over a year ago

At college, found out when I got home

By *requent_FerryersCouple
over a year ago

Norwich to Great Yarmouth

In a prison in Belgium (acting as an interpreter)! One of the guards came to the room and to;d me to turn on the TV in the inmate's room... I thought it was a Hollywood disaster movie!

Post new Message to Thread